Running Tahr 6.0.5 with a kernel 4.9.6 PAE enabled

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rockedge

Running Tahr 6.0.5 with a kernel 4.9.6 PAE enabled

#1 Post by rockedge »

I just started to work on testing ZoneMinder and it's latest versions to run in Puppy Linux Bionic with a LAMP stack and a LHMP (Hiawatha v10.5) stack with the latest PHP7.2.6 and mariaDB. I had compiled a pae enabled 4.9.6 kernel,a 4.16.12 as well as an 4.17 kernel 32 bit for a Woof-CE run building some Bionic 32bit OS's
My best results so far overall running LAMP with zoneminder comes in puppy linux Tahr 6.0.5 and Xenial 7.5 and so far not so much Bionic.

So I tried Tahr 6.0.5 with the kernel 4.9.6 PAE enabled. Runs really well on a Dell INSPIRON E1505. And so far with a one-click install of LHMP and zoneminder 1.30.4 stable loaded as a PET, zoneminder is running nicely.

so far Tahr with the 4.9.6 kernel is working really well over all.

I manually switched kernels but will try a woof-ce build with tahr and the newer kernel 4.17 I have built with the kernel-kit and see how it runs on a Dell Optiplex 990

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Interesting. Good to know. Thanks, rockedge, for this note.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Nice idea to use a newer Linux kernel!

One thing to consider.

if you build with the latest version of Woof-CE it will actually be a new version of Puppy.
Woof-CE has been updated and improved, with a lot of bug fixes and basic program tweaks.
Those changes are not in Tahrpup 6.0.5

You could make it look like Tahrpup6.0.5, but inside it would be very different.
It may have all the same core Puppy programs, but inside those programs could be many changes.
Depends on the program.

Also, Tahrpup is using basic Linux core stuff from Ubuntu repositories. So, what Ubuntu repository do you need to use that will have updated core Linux stuff, for support of what is in the latest Linux kernel?

Basically, Xenialpup 7.5 is Tahrpup 6.0.5, made with a newer Woof-CE, newer Linux kernel. and newer Ubuntu repository.
Even it does not have what is in the latest Woof-CE!
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

rockedge

#4 Post by rockedge »

so far I took a clean stock Tahr 6.0.5 PAE and swapped in the kernel 4.9.96 PAE that I had made for a woof-CE Bionic build. I just uncompressed the kernel file and copied renamed and replaced the vmlinux and zdrv_tahr_6.0.5.sfs files and rebooted. Works pretty good so far.

I am going to use woof-CE and build a Tahr using the newer kernel but using the Trusty repos.

Originally I wanted to test a zoneminder-1.30.4.pet I made that installs a LHMP with zoneminder 1.30.4 stable with the database component already installed and running. So after the pet completes intallation ...zoneminder is running. a re-start of the mysqld and restart zoneminder syncs the clock correctly for the database to work correctly. I used the orignal Tahr 6.0.5 PAE because that is what I built the ZM PET for.

Surprised a little that it is working so well on this machine which is circa 2006.
bigpup
I will keep the tips in mind as I see how the woof-CE Tahr and Xenial turn out with the 4.17 kernel...it's building a tahr and should be ready in 1-2 hours to try out.

foxpup

FYI

#5 Post by foxpup »

Tahr on a new i5 machine with the xenialpup kernel:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... start=1754

rockedge

#6 Post by rockedge »

I have successfully built Tahr 6.0.6 with kernel 4.17 PAE 32 bit using woof-CE

here is a look at it. I had to re-install Viewnior from the PPM to get it to function. Other than that all seems to be working well.
Running on a 2006 Dell INSPIRON E1505 laptop dual core.

thanks foxpup for the link ...
good information!

davids45

Kernel mix'n'unmatch

#7 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

A liitle knowledge being a dangerous thing :shock: , I've been playing around with different kernels in slightly newer Pups than tahr and find the kernel is almost irrelevant to performance on the machine I have (2007 desktop).

I have an sfs with the applications I want to have (bigger ones being LibreOffice, gimp, wine with some devil-I-know programs but also games, browsers and utilities).

So, if the re-kerneled Pup boots and then the sfs runs, I'm happy :D .

Thanks to peebee's 32-bit slacko with the 64-bit kernel inspiration, I've used his latest 64-bit huge-kernel (4.17.2) as well as an older 3-kernel (3.16.45) in some new Pup varieties that usually have a 4.9.xx kernel.

Everything has been good and I'm not able to pick any significant difference in any of the kernels.

The different Pups I've used do show differences between them, but I think due to the developer's choice of packages, not the kernel.

All good fun.

David S.
(posted from radky's latest StretchPup-7.5 with a 3.16.45 kernel)

rockedge

#8 Post by rockedge »

davids45
I have noticed so far the same results.....I started swapping kernels in and out with Bionic 18.05 and had found the machine ran pretty much the same across the different kernels I was trying out. I threw together several kernels using the kernel-kit for the experiment. I found for running zoneminder and the LAMP stack it needs tahr 6.0.5 and 6.0.6 were rock solid reliable and zoneminder runs very well...so I have this Dell Optiplex 990 desktop quad core 8 gigs of RAM I wanted to give a whirl with Tahr and some newer kernels and so it began.

I am going off the deep end with you and am going to load peebee's 64 bit kernel into a 32 bit Tahr and see what happens

mikeslr

#9 Post by mikeslr »

Hi rockedge,

You mentioned that your Dell Optiplex 990 has 8 Gbs of RAM. While your exploring kernels, take a look at Sailor Enceladus' Hugh 4.4.131, link from here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 109#991109,

It is, as far as I know, the only 32-bit pae kernel which actually recognizes more than 4 Gbs of RAM.

Theoretically, any pae kernel should. But I've tried several beyond those built into older Puppies, and they don't.

Perhaps Sailor will generously explain how that was accomplished.

mikesLr

rockedge

#10 Post by rockedge »

I am using a kernel-kit made 4.17 PAE which is seeing and using all 8 gigs or 7.93 gigs to be exact. the Tahr 6.0.6 with a 4.4.96 kernel is using all 8 gigs.
I am testing a custom Xenial made from woof-CE using a 4.1.3 PAE right now and it appears to be using all 8 gigs..............I have a Poweredge T110 wih 16 gigs RAM...tested Xenial 32bit kernel 4.1.3 PAE and it sees all 16...mostly use a Tahr64 on it though configured as a server