Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 15 Nov 2018, 19:29
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Question about Simple Screen Recorder [SOLVED]
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
pp4mnklinux

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jun 2018, 01:15    Post subject:  Question about Simple Screen Recorder [SOLVED]
Subject description: And how to cancel the Welcome screen?

Hello everybody:

I'm using xenial put 7.5 x64 and i can't install "xvid" as a recording screen software, so I installed SIMPLE SCREEN RECORDER.

When I used xvid, it start recording intermediately, but now with SSR is much slower.

Can I do anything to make it faster to record? (key combination)

How can I cancel the welcome screen each time I start using this soft?

HAVE A NICE DAY U ALL, and thanks in advance

Last edited by pp4mnklinux on Sat 04 Aug 2018, 02:50; edited 1 time in total
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jun 2018, 09:48    Post subject:  

@ pp4mnklinux:-

You might find 'RecordMyDesktop' is somewhat easier and faster to get going. Just enter 'recordmydesktop' into the PPM; you'll get 2 packages, both of which need installing.

My thread on it here may help to explain it a bit better.

Mike. Wink

pp4mnklinux

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jun 2018, 11:53    Post subject: thanks a lot mike
Subject description: THANKY

I'll try to do this.- Have a nice day and thanks for your answer.

cu

Version : #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 13 15:54:01 GMT 2017
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.23 (stable)

Distribution: xenial pup 7.5 x64

http://www.protopage.com/pp4mnkt3am#puPPy_Linux
mikeslr

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jun 2018, 17:44    Post subject:  

Hi pp4mnklinux,

As far as I know, the FatDog64 version of Xvidcap 1.1.7 you'll find at the bottom of this webpage, http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/pets/600/, will run under any 64-bit Puppy and certainly Xenialpup64. Whether everything works? You'll have to try it.

mikesLr
pp4mnklinux

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jun 2018, 12:59    Post subject: THANKS
Subject description: I'll test it

thanks a lot for your answer.

HAVE A NICE WEEKEND

Version : #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 13 15:54:01 GMT 2017
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.23 (stable)

Distribution: xenial pup 7.5 x64

http://www.protopage.com/pp4mnkt3am#puPPy_Linux
hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jul 2018, 04:40    Post subject: Settings in SSR are memorized  

SSR does not fit what you want.. each tool has advantages and defaults.. and has to be used accordingly..
Settings in SSR are memorized, it can screen-cast full screen or only a chosen window.. Like Xvidcap, which can follow mouse movements (ugly result)
I only use screencast to memory how to do with difficult process..
I don't use video but i could.. I cannot help in this matter..
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 04 Nov 2018, 16:39    Post subject: How to record sound from WebVideo using SimpleScreenRecorder  

Hi All,

Just because recording with sound videos on the web isn’t high on my priority list doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be easy for someone who wants to do it.

Some years ago Xvidcap was the only “easy to use” desktop video recorder which, in theory, would record sound. But, I never figured out how to get it to, and doing so not being one of my priorities, didn’t spend much time trying. The occasions when I desired to record something have been, and continue to be, few and far between. I’m strongly visually oriented and sound tends to be a distraction. Occasionally I’ve stumbled onto something on the web I considered worth saving, but usually could just download it using a browser with addons. Very rarely, that didn’t work. Well, not important –to me-- anyway.

A recent post by a newbie spurred my interest. He wanted to do a desktop recording, with sound, and I wondered why he wasn’t just using simplescreenrecorder. Simplescreenrecorder was built into his Puppy, as it has been in most recent Puppies. Having made that suggestion, I decided to try it myself. So I booted into Xenialpup64. Simplescreenrecorder was a “builtin”, and ldd of /usr/bin/simplescreenrecorders showed no missing libraries. Starting it via the terminal revealed:

root# simplescreenrecorder
Could not load system translator.
==================== SSR started ====================
SimpleScreenRecorder 0.3.8
Compiled with GCC 5.4.0
Qt: header 4.8.7, lib 4.8.7
libavformat: header 56.40.101, lib 56.40.101
libavcodec: header 56.60.100, lib 56.60.100
libavutil: header 54.31.100, lib 54.31.100
libswscale: header 3.1.101, lib 3.1.101
[CPUFeatures::Detect] CPU features: mmx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 avx
[ALSAInput::GetSourceList] Generating source list ...
[ALSAInput::GetSourceList] Found card: [hw:0] HDA Intel PCH
[ALSAInput::GetSourceList] Found device: [hw:0,0] HDA Intel PCH: ALC269VB Analog
[ALSAInput::GetSourceList] Found card: [hw:1] pcsp
[ALSAInput::GetSourceList] Found card: [hw:2] C-Media USB Audio Device
[ALSAInput::GetSourceList] Found device: [hw:2,0] C-Media USB Audio Device: USB Audio
[PulseAudioInput::GetSourceList] Generating source list ...
[PulseAudioConnect] Error: Could not connect! Reason: Connection refused
It is possible that your system doesn't use PulseAudio. Try using the ALSA backend instead.

From what I had read, I assumed sound had to be captured. So I right-clicked the volume icon on the taskbar, selected Config Window, clicked the Hardware Tab, made Capture Sound an Active Slider, and clicked Apply. Then I initiated retrovol via a terminal and set it to maximum. [Worry about it been too loud later]. See attached Screenshot.

Next I started Firefox Quantum –less likely to throw up stumbling blocks than Chrome or Clones-- and opened to a music video on vimeo –less likely to throw up stumbling blocks than Youtube. Clicked play on that video to confirm that it played, and with sound generated. Paused the video and started SimpleScreenRecorder.

As indicated by the attached screenshot, I was confronted with choices. On the first configuration window I did nothing, only checked to see that ALSA was set for the “Audio Imput>Record Audio”. On the second configuration window, knowing that my system could play mpeg4 videos and mp3 audio within a matarska container, I chose those settings and gave the prospective video the name test1.mkv to be saved in root.

I resumed the vimeo music video in Firefox, pressed Start Recording in simplescreenrecorder and allowed the video to run for about 30 seconds before pressing the Save Recording button in simplescreenrecorder. During that period, I could both see and hear the video playing in Firefox.

The video was captured. Clicking root/test1.mkv played the video. But there was no sound.

What am I doing wrong? Or failing to do?
sound-settings.png
Description  Alsa Settings
png

Download 
Filename  sound-settings.png 
Filesize  68.79 KB 
Downloaded  10 Time(s) 
SSR-Settings.png
 Description   
 Filesize   75.15 KB
 Viewed   70 Time(s)

SSR-Settings.png

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 04 Nov 2018, 23:16    Post subject:  

@ Mike:-

I could be wrong about this. It's very likely that I am. But I can't help wondering if it's related in any way to the problem with recording sound in Puppy that plagued me for years.....and why I now use Wex (with Weav & scrox) by Will McEwan (mcewanw) for screen-capturing.

I found it was all down to the ancient version of ffmpeg that's shipped by default with Puppies for years. When Fredx181 re-packed Will's 'Wex' as a portable AppImage (a format me & thee are both familiar with!), he included a freshly-compiled recent version of ffmpeg (3.1.2). The old default version was around 190k in size; Fred's is around 30 MB.

(I've used the exact same 'base' hardware since the beginning of my Linux 'journey', around 4½ years ago. In the early days, sound-recording in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 'Trusty' worked every time. When I switched to Puppy, that's when the 'problems' began...)

With Wex, for the first time in years, sound recording works again. Yay! (I actually discovered this to be the case when I took a brief look at Fred's 'Bionic Dog' a while back. Just for the hell of it, I installed GUVCView, and tried a short webcam recording). Played it back (not expecting audio), but.....wait a minute! What's this? Sound?? Huh???!

(*...what's going on?*)

It's Debian/Ubuntu-based, isn't it? And sound recording worked in 'Trusty', a few years back...

Go figure.

(If you want to give it a try, you can find a .pet for it here. It just replaces the 'system' ffmpeg in /usr/bin. Goes without saying, though; make a backup of the old one first.....just in case you want to return to 'standard'.)

Let us know what happens, please. I'm not guaranteeing this'll provide the required 'fix'.....but it might, just might be worth a try.

Mike. Wink

mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 05 Nov 2018, 14:38    Post subject:  

Hi Mike,

You may be right. But, if that's the case recording sound from streaming videos has never worked with a 64-bit Simple Screen Recorder, or probably any alternative 64-bit application.

In short, there isn't any way to configure the present application to do it. What would be needed is to build or compile an updated ffmpeg. And there wouldn't be any guaranty that doing so would solve the problem.

As I've never compiled, and a complex application like ffmpeg didn't suggest itself the right application to begin to learn that skill, for me that leaves only building an application using the debs from Ubuntu or perhaps debian. Debian might be preferable as Ubuntu --with its objective of "user-friendliness"-- often has more dependencies. However, searching I've discovered that debian has once again dropped ffmpeg in favor of avconv. Rolling Eyes Well, you can still have ffmpeg under recent debians, but you'll probably have to compile it.

Out of curiousity, I downloaded the ubuntu's ffmpeg for 64-bit bionic beaver and installed it [remember my system is setup not to Save] just to find out what ldd would suggest is missing. Short answer, a lot.

I used Ubuntu debs once before to create a ffmpeg package: when tarhpup --based on Trusty Tahr-- was first published it had builtin avconv rather than ffmpeg and several puppy-centric applications no longer worked. IIRC, about 96 debs were required. [As the Good Lord seems to have designed the Universe as a vehicle for playing sometimes elaborate practical jokes on me, shortly after I finished and published it, rockedge, I think, did it the right way and compiled ffmpeg from source. And, of course, for almost all purposes the simple expedient of creating a symlink named ffmpeg pointing to avconv was discovered].

Well, I won't take the bait again. I just don't have any real need for recording sound from streaming videos.

As I mentioned, the right way would be to compile from source. But, if someone wants to give building it from debs a go, I'd suggest doing that using primarily PPM under Bionicpup64 and then "backporting".

As of the current state of affairs, it would seem that your advice to load the 32-bit compatibility sfs on 64-bit systems and then install Wex is the most efficient solution.

Edit: Well, it seems once again "the best laid plans" fail. Reality is much richer than the perception of any Prophet named Mike. See this post by wiak regarding Wex for 64-bit systems without the need to employ 32-bit compatibility: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1009164#1009164
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Jump to: