TazPuppy 5.0 rc2

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
s243a

#521 Post by s243a »

On another note, if you copy and paste my scripts from pastebin into a new file I think it is okay, but if you hit the download button then you have to convert the line endings. In geany this is in "Document Menu" -> "Set LIne Endings" -> "Convert and set to LF (Unix)"

It's too bad that pastebin isn't smart enough to know that Unix style line endings should be the default for bash scripts.

mikeslr

The Save Default

#522 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

How Puppy's Save is not a problem.

Although on Shut-down when provided a choice to "Save" or "No Save", the default "Save" button is the default choice so that pressing Enter/Return will execute a Save, the default procedure is "No Save". Do nothing --or walk away-- and after 60 seconds Puppy shuts down without Saving. And that's under Pupmode 12.

But even when my Puppy is located on a hard-drive, I follow the procedure to run it under Pupmode 13 (as if it were on a USB-Stick): (1) on newer Puppies just change the grub4dos's menu.lst boot argument "pmedia=atahd" to "pmedia=ataflash", and then Menu>System>Puppy Event Manager>Save Session Tab>set Save interval to 0/zero. As Puppy is then configured only to Save when a manual command to do so is executed, I can literally and safely turn Puppy off by "pulling the plug".

A procedure to so run Puppies pre-dates jpeps' post 6 years ago. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 326#662326.

There are, however, two actual problems. The first is getting people to read important posts, even when designated as "stickies". The second is getting Devs to rework grub4dos and Puppies so that the former automatically treats hard-drives as USB-Sticks, and the latter has the default Save Session Interval set to zero.

mikesLr

thinkpadfreak

#523 Post by thinkpadfreak »

Hello.
Taspup has been discussed recently in Puppy Linux Japanese Forum.

I've run Alpha 13 and 14 recently, and I noticed that when they are installed to a usb memory stick, the behavior of saving seems to be incomplete.

For example, the settings of midori are lost and some of the folders/files I create disappear on reboot.

filesystem of the usb stick ... fat32
filesystem within the save file ... ext2
boot loader ... grub4dos

I wonder if there is anything wrong with the environment above.

Regards.

s243a

#524 Post by s243a »

thinkpadfreak wrote:Hello.
Taspup has been discussed recently in Puppy Linux Japanese Forum.

I've run Alpha 13 and 14 recently, and I noticed that when they are installed to a usb memory stick, the behavior of saving seems to be incomplete.

For example, the settings of midori are lost and some of the folders/files I create disappear on reboot.

filesystem of the usb stick ... fat32
filesystem within the save file ... ext2
boot loader ... grub4dos

I wonder if there is anything wrong with the environment above.

Regards.
I only tried save folders both on USB and hard drive. However, you can try saving with either:

Code: Select all

ash -x /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy
or

bash -x /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy
and tell us what errors you get. For this to work you'll have to have puppy started with a save file or folder created from a previous shutdown. Note that this isn't applicable if you are using a save folder on a hard drive (with default boot parameters), since in that case the folder is directly mounted.

You will know that puppy is started with either a save file or folder because you should see something in your file system something called /mnt/home.

Anyway, if you don't wish to try troubleshooting, then someone (e.g. me or mistfire) may shortly try running TazPup with your setup and troubleshooting the issue.

P.S. It looks like snapmergepuppy still has ash as the shebang. This was an issue on previous versions of TazPup. I'm not sure if it is still an issue:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 335#994335
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 022#994022

s243a

#525 Post by s243a »

Are there any tools to make the screen brighter? On a laptop I have, i can't see any button to make the screen brighter on the keyboard.

Terry H

#526 Post by Terry H »

s243a wrote:Are there any tools to make the screen brighter? On a laptop I have, i can't see any button to make the screen brighter on the keyboard.
On my Dell laptop, the F11 & F12 keys do work for brightness.

thinkpadfreak

#527 Post by thinkpadfreak »

s243a wrote:
> I only tried save folders both on USB and hard drive. However, you can try saving with either:
> Code:
> ash -x /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy
> or
> Code:
> bash -x /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy

Thank you for responding.

Both the commands you suggested appear to have been executed normally.
Actually, the lines are too many, and I cannot see all the lines.

But I see the message:
tail: cannon open '+2' for reading: No such file or directory
at shutdown.

I placed a script in /etc/profile.d, which goes like this:

#!/bin/sh
cd /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio4/serio5
echo -n 120 > speed
echo -n 240 > sensitivity

cd /root
echo 2 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
This script is for setting the sensitivity of the mouse and the brightness of the display. The script disappears on reboot, and takes no effect.

When TazPup is installed to a hard drive (frugal install with a save file), the script does not disappear, and those values are set as expected.

s243a

#528 Post by s243a »

thinkpadfreak

#529 Post by thinkpadfreak »

s243a wrote:
> I think that "tail +2" isn't as universal, and that "tail -n +2" should be used for greater compatibility.

I opened snapmergepuppy and replaced "tail +2" with "tail -n +2".

This seems to have fixed the problem.

I no longer see the message at shutdown:
tail: cannon open '+2' for reading: No such file or directory

After reboot, there remain the changes I made in the previous session. Thank you.

wiak

#530 Post by wiak »

thinkpadfreak wrote:s243a wrote:
> I think that "tail +2" isn't as universal, and that "tail -n +2" should be used for greater compatibility.
tail +N is an old syntax, but busybox tail still supports it; and I thought Slitaz included busybox and snapmergepuppy calls 'busybox tail +2', which should work, unless someone has removed the reference to busybox, which is the mistake really.

But if not using busybox tail, then, yes, tail -n +N would work with any current version of tail (including that in busybox as it happens).

Main thing I'd suggest is that if you have busybox on your system and your script has been written to use busybox then don't change the script or you may well end up with these odd effects, and not only for tail command.

wiak

thinkpadfreak

#531 Post by thinkpadfreak »

s243a wrote:
> Try this:
> Code:
> grep -rn '/etc' -e 'tail +2'

Apparently, nothing happens. The command is just executed.

wiak wrote:
> Main thing I'd suggest is that if you have busybox on your system and your script has been written to use busybox then don't change the script or you may well end up with these odd effects, and not only for tail command.

Thank you for advice.
So, the fix would be to have "busybox tail +2" instead of "tail -n +2", wouldn't it?

I tried this, and then I didn't see that "cannot open" error message.

Anyway, I think some fix will have to be made to Alpha 14.

mistfire

#532 Post by mistfire »

Tazpup alpha 15 released

* Puppy installer now fully functional
* Init script for full install fixed
* Fix regression on snapmergepuppy for save session
* More fixes

Download:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FjH88y ... sp=sharing

Build kit now available
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10kef01 ... sp=sharing

mistfire

#533 Post by mistfire »

This is the experimental TazWoof. This will build TazPup entirely from Slitaz Packages. The missing part was compiling kernel for TazPup (I put a blank function to place that routine) also make live cd was disabled.

I hope someone will complete this build system.

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VyhLlf ... sp=sharing

ally

#534 Post by ally »

I've tried running the tazwoof script, failed to squash with 'cannot stat source directory "rootfs" No such file or directory

not clever enough to go any further

:)

ps - can you add a -nc to wget so it doesn't download local files again
Attachments
tazwoof.png
(94.8 KiB) Downloaded 92 times

greengeek

#535 Post by greengeek »

thinkpadfreak wrote:I placed a script in /etc/profile.d, which goes like this:

#!/bin/sh
cd /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio4/serio5
echo -n 120 > speed
echo -n 240 > sensitivity

cd /root
echo 2 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
This script is for setting the sensitivity of the mouse and the brightness of the display. The script disappears on reboot, and takes no effect.
I am interested in your method of trying to set mouse parameters. I have not seen mouse adjustment done like that before - although your method of setting video brightness is the same one I use.

On some of my machines the touchpad does not get detected as a synaptics or alps device - it just gets detected as "mouse" and as a result "touch-to-click" remains permanently activated.

Just wondered if you think your method of mouse adjustement might have some ability to switch off the tap-to-click?

How did you determine that "platform/i8042/serio4/serio5" was relative to your mouse??

cheers!

wiak

#536 Post by wiak »

thinkpadfreak wrote: wiak wrote:
> Main thing I'd suggest is that if you have busybox on your system and your script has been written to use busybox then don't change the script or you may well end up with these odd effects, and not only for tail command.

Thank you for advice.
So, the fix would be to have "busybox tail +2" instead of "tail -n +2", wouldn't it?

I tried this, and then I didn't see that "cannot open" error message.

Anyway, I think some fix will have to be made to Alpha 14.
No, though busybox tail +2 likely works, I was really meaning to avoid removing references to busybox in Slitaz scripts (so, for example, tail +2 alone doesn't work). However, better is 'busybox tail -n +2' (which also should work fine), I feel, since the other syntax (without the -n) appears to be deprecated generally. However, if no change to be made, 'busybox tail +2' should also be fine (just make sure to use busybox version as script so designed for).

wiak

s243a

#537 Post by s243a »

mistfire wrote:This is the experimental TazWoof. This will build TazPup entirely from Slitaz Packages. The missing part was compiling kernel for TazPup (I put a blank function to place that routine) also make live cd was disabled.

I hope someone will complete this build system.

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VyhLlf ... sp=sharing
I tried thetazwoof-devx.sh script and it failed with a " 502 Proxy Error". Maybe run wget as a subprocess, check the exit status and keep track of which items failed. Then show people which items failed to download and ask them if they want to continue building devx.

bash -x tazwoof-devx.sh
+ '[' 0 -ne 0 ']'
+ for pkg in '$(cat $curdir/temp-devx/download-devx-packages.txt)'
+ download_pkgs libmediainfo-dev
+ pkgs=libmediainfo-dev
++ echo '^libmediainfo-dev-[0-9]'
++ sed -e 's#\+#\\+#g'
+ PTRN='^libmediainfo-dev-[0-9]'
++ cat /mnt/sdc6/TazPup/tazwoof-test/tazwoof/slitaz-devx/packages.list
++ grep -E '^libmediainfo-dev-[0-9]'
+ pkgname=libmediainfo-dev-0.7.79
+ '[' libmediainfo-dev-0.7.79 '!=' '' ']'
+ wget --timeout=10 http://mirror1.slitaz.org/packages/cooking/libmediainfo-dev-0.7.79.tazpkg -O /mnt/sdc6/TazPup/tazwoof-test/tazwoof/slitaz-devx/libmediainfo-dev-0.7.79.tazpkg
--2018-06-19 17:55:05--  http://mirror1.slitaz.org/packages/cooking/libmediainfo-dev-0.7.79.tazpkg
Resolving mirror1.slitaz.org (mirror1.slitaz.org)... 188.165.229.172
Connecting to mirror1.slitaz.org (mirror1.slitaz.org)|188.165.229.172|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 502 Proxy Error
2018-06-19 17:55:06 ERROR 502: Proxy Error.

+ '[' 8 -ne 0 ']'
+ echo 'Downloading package failed: libmediainfo-dev-0.7.79'
Downloading package failed: libmediainfo-dev-0.7.79
+ exit
Edit: I suggest something link this

Now lines 19 to 25 of tazwoof-devx.sh in the function download_pkgs()

if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
		echo "Downloading package failed: $pkgname"
		#exit
		    echo "$pkgname.tazpkg" >> "$curdir/slitaz-devx/packages.list.fail"
		else
		    echo "$pkgname.tazpkg" >> "$curdir/slitaz-devx/packages.list.success"		
		fi

mistfire

#538 Post by mistfire »

Thanks @ally and @s243a for the comment. I will make some modifications on tazwoof

Take note: You can adjust brightness of laptop monitor in tazpanel. It was located at Hardware > Disks

Terry H

#539 Post by Terry H »

Running alpha 15, all is running well now. Updated with Package Manager and also installed DeadBeef. Running Palemoon manually installed in /opt.

Shutdown / Reboot functioning well.

All is working excellent with latest release. Great work mistfire. Thank you.

s243a

#540 Post by s243a »

mistfire wrote:Thanks @ally and @s243a for the comment. I will make some modifications on tazwoof
Excellent :) The other thing I would consider is the addition is a NO_CLEAN option or environmental variable because on might run the script then decide later that they want to add a package. They shouldn't have to download all the packages again. Actually even if they reduce the number of packages they shouldn't have to download all the packages again.