64Bit Nvidia & WINE Causes problems

Using applications, configuring, problems
p310don

64Bit Nvidia & WINE Causes problems

#1 Post by p310don »

I have had this problem for a while. I'm only just getting around to being bothered to try and fix it.

I have Xenial64 installed. My PC has an Nvidia GT210 card. After installing the Nvidia driver I have issues with WINE

My Nvidia install process is to use the nvidiaxxxxxxxx.run file from the nvidia website to automagically compile & install the driver.

If I accept all the defaults, including to re-write xorg.conf my Logitech wireless mouse & keyboard stop working. If I plug in a corded mouse it works, but I don't want that as a long term solution.

There are 3 parts to the nvidia install. Compile & install 64 bit driver, install 32bit compatibility, and re-write xorg.conf. I have tried not doing bits to see how it goes.

If I just let it compile and install the 64bit driver, it all seems to work ok. Except, if I load a game in WINE, it runs like molasses. From a terminal I get:

Code: Select all

err:wgl:init_opengl Failed to load libGL: libGL.so.1: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
I do have the 32 bit compatibility SFS loaded, but it seems that the nvidia 32 bit compatibility is needed. So I tried that. It doesn't seem to help. The wrong ELF class error goes away, but it still doesn't seem to make the game run any faster.

I'm kind of stuck. I don't know where to go from here. Frustratingly, this works super smoothly in my previous Tahr32 install on this same machine, but was kind of hoping for improvements by using 64bit (which there otherwise are)

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

If I accept all the defaults, including to re-write xorg.conf
In Puppy do not let the installer setup xorg.conf.
Say no!!!!!!!!!

After the driver installs.
Run the Puppy xorgwizard to setup xorg.conf

Sorry, put I need to make sure :lol: :idea:
Are you sure you are using the 64bit version of the Nvidia driver?

Are you using the 32bit or 64bit version of Wine?

To install Nvidia drivers in Puppy.
This is the best way to do it.
Nvidia driver run package installing
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=110611
Last edited by bigpup on Sat 16 Jun 2018, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

I find that the 32bit version of Wine, running in a 32bit version of Puppy, just seems to work best.

64bit Wine is kind of new.
However, it is being improved with each new version.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88711

32bit Wine in a 64bit Puppy works, but as you see it can have problems.

I run all my Wine stuff with 32bit Wine in a 32bit Xenialpup 7.5.
YaPI(any iso installer)

p310don

#4 Post by p310don »

Sorry, put I need to make sure  
Are you sure you are using the 64bit version of the Nvidia driver?
Absolutely. I did read on some forum, somewhere out there in internet land that installing the 32bit driver as well could solve the problem, so I gave that a try. The first thing the 32bit .run file does is check for 32 or 64bit and says a big fat NO to installing 32bit on 64bit OS. I did try finding a .pet for xen32 which I installed and then nothing worked. Isn't Puppy awesome that so long as you back up your save file/folder you can do silly stuff like that and get back to normal if you bork it!!

I am using 32bit WINE. I have tried 64bit, but it seems to be a bit of a beta release rather than mature 32bit wine.

mikeslr

#5 Post by mikeslr »

p310don wrote:
The first thing the 32bit .run file does is check for 32 or 64bit.
How did you acquire Wine? Did you compile it yourself? Install it via PPM or by downloading it other than Wine specifically prepared for Puppies available on the Additional Software Section: Virtualization?

Over the years I've used Wine under a large assortment of Puppies including Xenialpup64. The versions of Wine I've used are some of those published by Version2013 AKA Greendome, Portable-Wine created by Shinobar and the Japanese Team to which Version2013 contributed, and my own re-working of Portable-Wine which merely replaced the included Wine.SFS with a newer version using Version2013's build. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 297#755297, Under none of those was there any requirement that I run a .run file. On none of those did I encounter a 'wrong ELF Class', albeit --having no 64-bit Windows applications-- even under Xenialpup64 and Tahrpup64 I've run only 32-bit Wines.

See this post in response to someone else who encountered a 'Wrong Elf Class', http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 468#962468 and mostly_lurking's just above it. If you use one of Version2013's pets from this thread, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 128#725128 after installing a Wine pet remember to open a terminal and type, without the quotes, 'wine winecfg'.

mikesLr

p310don

#6 Post by p310don »

How did you acquire Wine? Did you compile it yourself? Install it via PPM or by downloading it other than Wine specifically prepared for Puppies available on the Additional Software Section: Virtualization?
HAHAHA - me compile stuff myself? There'd be much bigger problems if I did that...!

I am using the WINE from quickpet. I have also used various WINEs from version2013/Greendome in an attempt to if it was a WINE version issue. It isn't.

Note, there isn't a problem with WINE itself running, it is a problem with WINE & Nvidia not having openGL working.

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

Again, I think you got a bad install of the Nvidia driver or the wrong driver for the specific Nvidia hardware.
They do find bugs in the drivers and issue a newer updated one.
May need to look for that.

Still suggest my earlier post, as best way to install Nvidia drivers.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

HAHAHA - me compile stuff myself? There'd be much bigger problems if I did that...!

Well, you did compile the Nvidia driver, as stated in your first post :lol: :lol:
YaPI(any iso installer)

p310don

#9 Post by p310don »

Well, you did compile the Nvidia driver
True, but running a .run file to compile seems to be a bit easier than from source

I'll give your method a go and see if it yields any different result.

p310don

#10 Post by p310don »

aaarrrrggghhhhh

This is doing my head in. I have tried many options to install the driver, and none of them work 100%

Booting from a fresh install, I have tried compiling to Nvidia Driver from the .run file. It installs, but WINE doesn't play properly. So it's out.

Fresh install, installing via getnvidia actually doesn't work at all. It reboots into the VESA display rather than accelerated. The PC seems to think it is running the nvidia driver, but the display says otherwise. It may be me doing something wrong with xorgwizard. In the past, you could select drivers from a list. Now you either go automatic, something, something or name it. I have tried all options without luck.

Fresh install, compile Nvidia using jamesbond's method that he wrote in reply to me in a Xenial64 thread a few months ago. Same result as getnvidia.

I don't know which option has caused this new problem now, but (related) I can no longer play videos. MPV now complains about the libGL.so.1 being the wrong ELF class. I didn't have this problem before I started fiddling (and am regretting starting!)

I might have to consider abandoning and moving to a different Pup. Any recommendations?

bigpup

#11 Post by bigpup »

After installing the driver using the
Nvidia run package.
Xorgwizard will need to be run to select the Nvidia driver.
The newer xorgwizard you have to manually type in nvidia(all lower case) to select that driver.
Set resolution.
Set color depth.

If after doing this the Nvidia driver does not load.

What exact Nvidia driver run package did you use????????

If you try using the wrong diver it will act as you describe.
Booting from a fresh install, I have tried compiling to Nvidia Driver from the .run file. It installs, but WINE doesn't play properly. So it's out.

That gives no info on what the problem is!
You do what with Wine????
You see what?????

Are you sure you have Wine setup correctly to do what you want to do???

I always use Wine versions from here:

After installing Wine, there is a setup config you need to run to setup Wine and complete all the install.

winecfg is the program file to run Wine Config.

Run Wine config to setup Wine.
It will probably offer you a few more programs needed for Wine to run properly.
Should download and install them as part of the initial config.

Also, in Wine config->Drivers Select autodetect to get all the driver locations loaded in Wine.

A lot of settup options in Wine config, so check them all.

What version of Windows you want Wine to mimic can affect how a program runs. Wine Config->Applications.
YaPI(any iso installer)

p310don

#12 Post by p310don »

Nvidia run package.
The newer xorgwizard you have to manually type in nvidia(all lower case) to select that driver.
Set resolution.
Set color depth.
Exactly what I did. I actually tried both upper and lower case. No difference.

Off the Nvidia website linked to in quickpet, the 340.107 driver updated on June 6 2018. I have previously tried with the 340.106 driver with the same "success".
You see what?????
I'm not in front of that PC (I'm at work now) to tell you exactly what is wrong. There were 2 errors. Either WINE started without lib32.so.1 working, which means no 32bit OpenGL support, or it just doesn't start at all, depending on which method I tried. If wine doesn't work, neither does winecfg.

p310don

#13 Post by p310don »

Nvidia run package.
Set resolution.
Set color depth.
Exactly what I did. I actually tried both upper and lower case. No difference.

Off the Nvidia website linked to in quickpet, the 340.107 driver updated on June 6 2018. I have previously tried with the 340.106 driver with the same "success".
You see what?????
I'm not in front of that PC (I'm at work now) to tell you exactly what is wrong. There were 2 errors. Either WINE started without lib32.so.1 working, which means no 32bit OpenGL support, or it just doesn't start at all, depending on which method I tried. If wine doesn't work, neither does winecfg.

bigpup

#14 Post by bigpup »

Maybe you just need to try Xenialpup 7.5 the 32bit version of Xenialpup.
Install as a frugal install and have it booted using a save.

Use the 32bit version of Wine from here:

32bit Wine works OK for me in it.

Whatever you are trying to run in Wine is probably 32bit, anyway.

Xenialpup is going to start by using the Nouveau driver.
To install the Nvidia driver, the Nouveau driver cannot be in use.
The Getnvidia program takes care of switching to a basic Vesa driver, before you run the Nvidia driver compiling process.
It has to do a reboot to get the drivers switched.

Strongly suggest you use Getnvida program to install driver.
Follow this how to carefully.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=110611

By Nvidia web site search for a driver.
It says your hardware needs the 340.107 driver.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#15 Post by bigpup »

Not all possible Windows software is going to run in Wine.

Here is the Wine database on what works and what does not or if there is a workaround.
https://appdb.winehq.org/
YaPI(any iso installer)

p310don

#16 Post by p310don »

Maybe you just need to try Xenialpup 7.5 the 32bit version of Xenialpup.
Install as a frugal install and have it booted using a save.
That is an easy solution to my problem, yet terrible advice. The world has virtually gone past 32bit OSes, so I'm keen to go onto 64bit. I think I mentioned before, I was using this machine with this program (game - Red Alert, Red Alert 2) with Tahr32. It worked flawlessly. Still does. I still have T32 installed.

32 vs 64 is a bit of a failing of Puppy for modern use IMHO. Puppy is aimed at old hardware, so 32bit is a win for sure. BUT, I believe and many agree that Puppy is awesome on new hardware too. This PC is new-ish, so I'd like to use a modern browser (Chrome) which is only 64 bit, I do a lot of VM work so 64bit memory management is better etc. Just when I want to play my old game that I have the issue.

I could install Xenial32, run Chromium and not have any this issue, but I'm pushing for the challenge, which is starting to beat me.

p310don

#17 Post by p310don »

Just to be annoying, I have 2 other PCs, a laptop and a media PC hooked up to a projector. Both of these run Xenial64. Both run WINE. And both play the game OK. Both have onboard intel video.

p310don

#18 Post by p310don »

I did a quick install of 32bit xenial (non-PAE by mistake). Went through the process, everything nvidia & wine related worked perfectly first go. Chromium doesn't work though, which is another sticking point.

I can either get what I want for leisure (wine & nvidia), or I can get what I want for work (chrome) but not both. grrrr

bigpup

#19 Post by bigpup »

Could put both versions of Xenialpup on the computer and setup the boot loader to boot the one you select.
AS a frugal install, it is easy to have many Puppy versions on a device.
That is basically what I have.
Xenialpup32 for Wine and games.
Xenialpup64 for what ever else I want to do.

Xenialpup32 7.5 does not have a PAE version.
(this was done to try and make it work on the oldest computers possible)
It is what it is!

So now the question is to figure out what about this computer is different from the ones 64bit does work on.

The hunt begins :lol:

What is the exact specs of this computer?
Make and model can tell me if you do not know all.

Menu>System>Pup-Sysinfo can also tell you stuff.

If I am correctly understanding you.
Nvidia driver seems to be the sticking point with 64bit Xenialpup.

Who knows, this driver they say is for your hardware, may have a bug in 64bit version.
OpenGL can be tested by entering this in a console.

Code: Select all

glxgears
This should just work.
If that does not work.
The driver is bad, not correctly installed, Xenialpup64 not correctly installed.

That is a very low spec Nvidia hardware for 64bit OS.
YaPI(any iso installer)

p310don

#20 Post by p310don »

AS a frugal install, it is easy to have many Puppy versions on a device.
I'm well aware of the benefits of frugal. I have about 20 different Pups installed frugally. One is my daily driver and the others are for experimenting / testing.
Xenialpup32 for Wine and games.
Xenialpup64 for what ever else I want to do.
Why do you do it this way? I see it as a failing if one install can't do it all reasonably well. It is certainly an easy solution to have one for one thing and another for another thing. It really shouldn't be so hard to have all aspects working on the most modern OS (64bit being more modern).
What is the exact specs of this computer?

I built it myself. Can't remember the MOBO, but AMD Phenom II x555, 8 gig ram, many hard drives, Nvidia GT210.
If I am correctly understanding you.
Nvidia driver seems to be the sticking point with 64bit Xenialpup.
Not quite. I can and have installed the Nvidia driver successfully. It seems that the 32bit compatibility of the 64bit Nvidia driver (for wine) is the sticking point.
OpenGL can be tested by entering this in a console.
glxgears works, depending on the NVIDIA install method. But, glxgears is (I assume) testing that openGL 64bit is working.
That is a very low spec Nvidia hardware for 64bit OS.
Yep. That is all I need though. When I purchased the card (a long time ago) I wanted something that had VDPAU support. That was about the minimum (read cheapest) I could get. For the old games that I play, it is overkill - when it works.