Using applications, configuring, problems
scsijon

How to display Logitech UVC USB webcam?

#1 Post by scsijon »

I was given a logitech webcam, specs from pupsysinfo are:

Bus=0003 Vendor=046d Product=0819 Version=0010
Name="UVC Camera (046d:0819)"
Connected to: usb-0000:00:1a.7-3/button

Anyone have an idea how to set it up and what software is needed to see what the camera is seeing, please?

Being "old and grouchy", i've never had one before and my laptops with an inbuilt one have them disabled.

Just realize I do ocassionally need it up and working.

thanks

Burn_IT

#2 Post by Burn_IT »

Logitech supply the software.!!!!
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

Assuming that you have mplayer installed, you can test it with:

Code: Select all

mplayer tv://

rockedge

#4 Post by rockedge »

try to install guvcview with the PPM. I have good success with it on local webcams connect via USB.

p310don

#5 Post by p310don »

I recently re-installed Xenial64. I had "Cheese" installed on it. It works well with the webcam. VLC works too, if you have that installed.

mplayer tv://
In Xenial the same code, but with mpv instead of mplayer also does the trick.

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ scsijon:-

There's a couple of others I can recommend.

Jemimah built & packaged a beautiful little app some years ago - UCView. The thread for it is here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=52373

It'll show what your webcam's seeing, record short video clips (in .avi format), and take snapshots, too.

One tip (and this is important); with the Logitech webcams especially, don't use the MJPEG format, because all you will get is a black screen. Make sure you use the format labelled YUV 4:2:2 (YUYV) ( YUYV ) instead. (You get a small window come up prior to the app starting, which allows you to select your cam, set format, and output dimensions).

It's quite impressive for the size, and seems to work in most Pups.

The .pet package is not attached to the thread, even by a link, but you can find it at Smokey's site, under 'Software', and Jemimah's 'Saluki PET packages' section (ucview-0.33-i486.pet).

(There's also some interesting suggestions for ffmpeg usage from Technosaurus in the UCView thread).

------------------------------------------------------------

Then we have VideoView. Watchdog was kind enough to let me have the executable for this a while back, when I was attempting to convert a GuvcView package from Precise to run in Racy 5.5. This was successful, eventually (just needed a load of libs chasing up), but during the course of the thread watchdog proffered VideoView, which he said he always kept as a standby. I was that impressed with it, I thought this should be available to all Puppians, so I turned it into a wee .pet package, which you can find here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112299

It's built around the Fast Light Toolkit library, and without exception, will run in every Pup I've ever tried it in. It's just a simple pre-compiled binary, to which I merely added a MenuEntry to make it easier to start. It, too, will record .avi clips and take snapshots.

---------------------------------------

Normally I recommend doing your research with webcams to find out if your device is supported by the kernel uvc driver module; if it is, then you're guaranteed a straight-forward plug'n'play experience. This page will help you to ascertain the status of any camera:-

http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/

The status of this page is ongoing, and it appears to be regularly updated.

Hope some of that helps. Good luck.

EDIT:- Good news. Your Logitech (a C210), vendor ID 046d:0819, is definitely supported by the UVC driver module. So it ought to work OOTB, and you should have no problems with it at all.

(I can also confirm Bill's and Don's suggestion for using mplayer/mpv with the given command. It works with both for me.)

Mike. :wink:

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

No reply from scsijon?

rockedge

#8 Post by rockedge »

Mike Walsh wrote:Jemimah built & packaged a beautiful little app some years ago - UCView.
I forgot about this one! this pet works great on Bionic 18.05 kernel 4.17 built from woof-CE.

thanks for the tip!

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, rockedge.
rockedge wrote:
Mike Walsh wrote:Jemimah built & packaged a beautiful little app some years ago - UCView.
I forgot about this one! this pet works great on Bionic 18.05 kernel 4.17 built from woof-CE.

thanks for the tip!
Yeah, it's a little gem, this one....ain't it? I've got it running throughout the kennels now; it just seems to run in absolutely everything (including, as you say, BionicPup). And I like the fact that it makes use of the v4lc controls, too.....which probably explains why, TBH, since it'll be making use of the uvc kernel driver module.

Did you ever manage to get GuvcView installed and running from the PPM? It point-blank refused to behave itself for me; didn't want to know. So I ended up using the Precise package I'd modified for the 5-series Slackos, and adding a couple of extras to get it working in Bionic.

Seems to run quite happily....! :D

Mike. :wink:

rockedge

#10 Post by rockedge »

Mike Walsh wrote:Did you ever manage to get GuvcView installed and running from the PPM?
yes I did! on the same Bionic system I have it running directly installed from the PPM
Attachments
guvcview_screenshot.png
(217.61 KiB) Downloaded 97 times