TazPuppy 5.0 rc2

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
mistfire

#501 Post by mistfire »

TazPup alpha 14 released

* ext2/3 kernel module is now builtin (thanks smokey01)
* fixes on tazpkg (thanks s243a)

Download:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i6IXwO ... sp=sharing

build kit
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16TOLLl ... sp=sharing

s243a

#502 Post by s243a »

s243a wrote:I gave the "Remaster Puppy live-CD" a try under the "System Tools" menu.

The first time I tried I wanted to create an ISO instead of burn a CD. That didn't work. Fortunatly, I didn't need to create the puppylivecdvbuild folder again. It let me use the one I previously created to burn a DVD. However, the DVD didn't work.

So the next thing that I tried was to configure my extlinux.conf so that I could boot from the puppylivecdbuild folder.

Code: Select all

label TazPupBuild
kernel /puppylivecdbuild/vmlinuz psubdir=92df8ef8-8197-4997-beaa-a2dcbe50095c:/puppylivecdbuild/ zdrv=92df8ef8-8197-4997-beaa-a2dcbe50095c:/puppylivecdbuild/zdrv_tazpup_5.0.sfs pupsfs=92df8ef8-8197-4997-beaa-a2dcbe50095c:/puppylivecdbuild/puppy_tazpup_5.0.sfs
append initrd=/puppylivecdbuild/initrd.xz
That didn't work either. So the next thing I did was deleted vmlinuz, zdrv_tazpup_5.0.sfs and initrd.xz from the puppylivecdvbuild folder and then copied these files from the CD back into the folder.

I was able to successfully boot. However, I couldn't see any wi-fi networks. I noticed that in the boot log it said that the kernal modules wern't being loaded.

I looked in a working version of tazpup and I saw that the modules were under puppy_tazpup_5.0.sfs/lib/modules/4.17.0

I think that the puppy remaster script expects these modules to be in the zdrv_tazpup_5.0.sfs rather than in puppy_tazpup_5.0.sfs.

Clearly I can fix this by modifying one of these sfs files to add the missing kernal modules. We should though take a look at how the remaster script is looking for these modules and whether or not it is looking in the right place.
Adding /lib/modules/4.17.0 to the puppy_tazpup_5.0.sfs generated by "Remaster Puppy live-CD" fixed the issues I had with my remasted TazPup not seing my wireless networks. There is anohter issue though. I'm only able to log in as root on this Remastered pup, logging in as Tux doesn't work. I think that something in the /etc folder or the tux home folder wasn't copied into the basesfs.

mistfire

#503 Post by mistfire »

On my latest experiment I make some changes on the puppy remaster script and puppy universal installer. Puppy App Default chooser is now included.
Last edited by mistfire on Tue 12 Jun 2018, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.

hamoudoudou

Masters of remastetization

#504 Post by hamoudoudou »

remaster Tazpup ??? mistfire does it.. Then we should remaster the remastered mistfire'version to fit our personal settings ?
Masters of remastetization , better is the enemy of well.
but everybody will do as he likes.. i will stay with Puppy a long time, however to taste elsewhere in not unpleasant.. Slitaz with Puppy is not divorced, it as something like prohibited love

mistfire

#505 Post by mistfire »

@hamoudoudou building tazpup was an experiment from ground up. Now the construction was now automated by using tazpup builder. Remastering is one of the Puppy's unique features it also gives an easiest option to create their own tazpup distro or flavors they want. I just make the remasterpup2 script work very well on tazpup. But still the official tazpup was created from tazpup builder. Also I was wondering if it is possible to build TazPup entirely from slitaz package without slitaz live cd modifications. a.k.a TazWoof.

slackfan

#506 Post by slackfan »

mistfire wrote: Puppy remastering was way easier than slitaz. It was step by step. Mounted ISO image or mounted CD is required
as Slitaz does (I did name the method in my message) or as Puppy does?
mistfire wrote:@hamoudoudou building tazpup was an experiment from ground up. Now the construction was now automated by using tazpup builder. Remastering is one of the Puppy's unique features it also gives an easiest option to create their own tazpup distro or flavors they want. I just make the remasterpup2 script work very well on tazpup. But still the official tazpup was created from tazpup builder. Also I was wondering if it is possible to build TazPup entirely from slitaz package without slitaz live cd modifications. a.k.a TazWoof.
it is really so. I did use intensively remastering on SliTaz at the time of Puppy 4.0 (f. e. Puppy Xtrem, it is very old now) and it was dramatic to remaster SliTaz!

what is remasterpup2 (link!) ?

slackfan

#507 Post by slackfan »

puppy has more to win from SliTaz as SliTaz from Puppy:

puppy is completely chaotic

slitaz is completely ordered with well organized repositories for each also old versions all and ISO from all old packages collections. it is as day and night!

and slitaz is full Linux with exclusive advantages, Puppy is not really some Linux any more :idea:

my installed version of SliTaz is the indermediate LXQT on SliTaz 5 rolling. it works well as far packages available. I did not try until yet the more newer version LXQT on version "next".

before LXQT on SliTaz 5 rolling I did use more SliTaz 5 rolling 64 bit, a 64 bit very small system for 32 bit collection of application (the promise of Barry Kauler for one next Quirky/Puppy if I did right understand all in kernel. all in kernel is a thing, what SliTaz actually does really not have...)

(-remaster "all in Kernel" would be "THE" thing!-)

hamoudoudou

what i can tell is that tazpup is easy to use.

#508 Post by hamoudoudou »

slackfan, what i can tell is that tazpup is easy to use.. Perhaps because i am used to Puppy.. Pupsave works, when many of us fail to save with Slitaz process..

s243a

#509 Post by s243a »

I noticed that some post install scripts use ldconfig. This can be found in in the package glibc-dev. One probably doesn't need the entire package though so maybe we can look into seeing what the dependencies are for ldconfig are.

Some packages that require ldconfig for post install are: freetype-infinality and gcc+gcj

mistfire

#510 Post by mistfire »

@s243a where do you find those post install scripts in slitaz package?

Fotunately I managed to obtain a more powerful laptop to run tazpup in virtualbox. I noticed that puppy universal installer in tazpup is broken especially in full install mode also it triggers fatal error on full install boot. Right now the puppy universal installer on tazpup is fixed.

Also in puppy remaster generated tazpup triggers fatal error in startup and premade user accounts included in remastering not working well or broken. This is now fixed.

Im currently developing a slitaz builder which creates tazpup from slitaz packages. Package dependencies sniffing works pretty well which is very crucial for downloading packages and processing it. The only problem was creating cache files of gnome schemas, gtk-immodules, mime, and gdk-pixbuf.

The missing piece was compiling kernel and install it to working rootfs before making it as sfs file.

What I urgently needed now was statically compiled dialog command (without any dependencies) and advcopy (without any dependencies) for initrd.

s243a

#511 Post by s243a »

mistfire wrote:@s243a where do you find those post install scripts in slitaz package?
It was just an error that I noticed when installing the package...the error being that ldconfig was missing. We however, can extract one of the packages that I mentioned and look for the post install script.

mistfire

#512 Post by mistfire »

I make some fixes on puppy universal installer on flash memory installation. Suprisingly it works nice when I run tazpup on PUPMODE=13. But I will give a shot to set the periodic save to 1minute to see it works

mistfire

#513 Post by mistfire »

@s243a can you please provide me list of packages needed to form a devx sfs?

slackfan

#514 Post by slackfan »

you probably doesn't need devx stuff at all in SliTaz! SliTaz offers the needing tools. Try to use them in a live session if you refuse to add such ballast in your installation. In a typical Puppy frugal "install" without save file, terrible save files, it is no problem! You don't develop all the day each day?

slackfan

#515 Post by slackfan »

frugal install: hm, something is wrong in TazPup as in the most Puppy's:

leaving the session, you MUST :x answer the question if you want save or not!

people USING a save file have to do that ONE unique time and the question appears never more... if the default value for the question would be "not" they would, it is logic I think, change the value ONE unique time to select "yes".

people refusing the use of save file have to deselect the wrong value each time they leave TazPup (and the most of the other Puppies of course!)

It is a

DEMENT ...

as well as ruthless question with unlogic default value (in the most puppies :roll: but more as the rest of the system react as a real an complete SliTaz system: I mount what I need and save what I will as I will, probably where my full SliTaz install is!)

(The right way would be: a separate entry in the menu for "create a save file, active by leaving that session"! some rare puppies did effective have that!)

s243a

#516 Post by s243a »

slackfan wrote:frugal install: hm, something is wrong in TazPup as in the most Puppy's:

leaving the session, you MUST :x answer the question if you want save or not!

people USING a save file have to do that ONE unique time and the question appears never more... if the default value for the question would be "not" they would, it is logic I think, change the value ONE unique time to select "yes".

people refusing the use of save file have to deselect the wrong value each time they leave TazPup (and the most of the other Puppies of course!)

It is a

DEMENT ...

as well as ruthless question with unlogic default value (in the most puppies :roll: but more as the rest of the system react as a real an complete SliTaz system: I mount what I need and save what I will as I will, probably where my full SliTaz install is!)

(The right way would be: a separate entry in the menu for "create a save file, active by leaving that session"! some rare puppies did effective have that!)
You could boot up a system, set the event manager to never save, shut down and create a save file with almost no changes except for the event manager setting. It will work if your save file is on a USB but a better way to handle this would probably be with a boot flag.

mistfire

#517 Post by mistfire »

@slackfan having devx stuff provides convenience upon compiling or developing something especially in offline situation.

s243a

#518 Post by s243a »

mistfire wrote:@s243a can you please provide me list of packages needed to form a devx sfs?
Hello mistfire,

I need to know which version of gcc you want, There are several options in TazPkg manager. Using the oldest one would be the simplest. However, if we are compiling newer packages then we may need a later version of gcc. However, if we use a later version of gcc we may need to create a symbolic link or wrapper, that points gcc to the later version of gcc (e.g. gcc63).

Anyway, I found that my TazFatener had a list of too many packages to be easily manageable. So what I did was added code to it that lists all the reverse dependencies of each package, which I used to get a list of development packages that had no revere dependencies.

My modified script can be found at:
https://pastebin.com/4sWBpsHa

the output is a directory for each package. In this directory there is a file called flag and if it has one of the following flags, ""Id"|"id"|"d"|"L_id"" then it is considered a development package.

I created a second script to read these directories and create a list of top level development packages with descriptions. This list with descriptions is attached (fake .gz extension).
https://pastebin.com/E8sMP9d1

If one installs these packages they will get all the other packages that I flagged as development packages as dependencies. These packages are:

Qt4-dev, autoconf, automake, automoc4, binutils, busybox-httpd-ctrl, cgdb, cmake, commoncpp2,
commoncpp2-dev, cookutils, cpp2, cppunit, cppunit-dev, dbus-glib-dev, gcc+gcj, gcc63, gcc63-lib-base, gdb, gdb-python, gdbm-dev, geany-dev, gettext, gettext-base, gettext-tools, glib-dev, glib-networking-dev, glibc-dev, glibmm-dev, gmpc, gmpc-dev, gobject-introspection-dev, gtk+-dev, gtk+3-dev, gtk-girepository, pygobject3 apps
gtkmm-dev, intltool, jsoncpp, libcrypto-dev, libcurl, libffi, libgcrypt-dev, 
libgee-dev, libgio-dev, libgiomm-dev, libid3tag, libmagic-dev, libtool, libxcb-dev, libxml2-python, linux-module-headers, linuxdcpp, lz4-dev, lzo-dev, make, makeself, mpc, mpc-library, ncmpc, ncmpcpp, pango, patch, patchelf, perl-extutils-pkgconfig, perl-locale-gettext, perl-maketext-gettext, pixman-dev, pkg-config, pygobject-dev, pygtk-dev, python-docutils, python-idle, python-magic, python-pyxml, python-simplejson, python-xmlutils, qmake, qtconfig, rake, ruby, ruby-pkgconfig, slitaz-toolchain           , taglib, uclibc-cross-compiler-x86_64, vala, xfmpc, xorg-libX11-dev, xorg-libXext-dev 
Note that some post install scripts require glibc-dev, so install that one before these packages. In tazpkg there is a --root option that lets you install the package to a different directory then the main root. Perhaps we can use this --root option as part of buildling of devx.

You may want to trim the list down, since I know you are aiming for a super small spec system. I'm working on systems with about 1gb of ram and the above list of packages is light enough for my system. Be warned thought that if you trim my list you may lose an important dependency that isn't shown on the list.
Attachments
top_DevX_packages.gz
(5.15 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
Last edited by s243a on Tue 19 Jun 2018, 02:02, edited 1 time in total.

s243a

#519 Post by s243a »

As a side note, I developed / tested the scripts in my previous post in a chroot enviornment running under tahrpup

#!/bin/bash
# Exctract the basesfs from the ISO
# Copy the zdrive into the base sfs
# cp -a -u etc /mnt/sdc6/TazPup/etc
# cp -a -u lib /mnt/sdc6/TazPup/lib
#Rename the dev folder in case it's needed and create a new empty dev folder.
ROOT='/mnt/sdc6/TazPup/'
INIT_ROOT=true
cd "$ROOT"
if [ $INIT_ROOT == true ]; then 
   mount -t proc proc proc/
   mount --rbind /sys sys/
   mount --rbind /dev dev/
   cp /etc/resolv.conf etc/resolv.conf
fi

#symlink run to tmp
#ln -s ./tmp .run

chroot "$ROOT" /bin/bash
I have many computers running TazPup but I didn't want to install TazPup on this one so I tried the chroot approach. The chroot environment worked for TazPkg but I have no idea what other programs it may or may not work for.

greengeek

#520 Post by greengeek »

slackfan wrote:people refusing the use of save file have to deselect the wrong value each time they leave TazPup (and the most of the other Puppies of course!)

It is a

DEMENT ...
Agreed. Too much emphasis on using savefiles. It was great in the old days - but not so good now when we know there is so much malware that we do not want to save. Saving changes to system files is risky.

No saving should be the default.