Slacko64 version 6.9.9.9. Installer issue

Booting, installing, newbie
Freddie1

Slacko64 version 6.9.9.9. Installer issue

#1 Post by Freddie1 »

I am trying different versions of puppy, so far I like Slacko but I cannot get it installed.
My laptop is a Lenovo 110S. It is a very lightweight laptop with 2 gig of ram and a 32 gig eMMC sd drive.
When I get to the part of the installer that brings up Gparted , Gparted doesn't see the storage drive. That stops me from going any further.

I drop out of the installer, enter Gparted, it sees the drive, I blow away the existing partition and repartition it and set the boot . Restart the Installer and have the same experience,

Any ideas how I can install Slacko, frugal or Full?

ozsouth

#2 Post by ozsouth »

Try entering bios on bootup (F10 or F2 or Esc?), then under security tab, clearing TPM, then disabling it on reboot.

Freddie1

#3 Post by Freddie1 »

Thanks for the suggestion, tried it without success.
I frankly don't understand the issue as I have successfully installed other puppy versions.

Freddie1

#4 Post by Freddie1 »

I am giving up on installing puppy to my hard drive (full Install) however, I would like to do a frugal install but using the menu item for installing puppy I don't see any item for doing a frugal install. Maybe I just don't get it, does a frugal install depend on always having a USB flash drive attached to the laptop?

foxpup

#5 Post by foxpup »

Do you have windows on your machine? You may try Lick. I hear it does the job very well nowadays.
does a frugal install depend on always having a USB flash drive attached to the laptop?
No it does not. You can do a frugal install on your hdd/ssd from an iso. It is better to use the iso as source and not the installed files on your usb. You just copy the vmlinuz, initrd.gz, the main.sfs and other sfs from the iso to a map on your hdd. That can even be on the partition where windows is (C: ).
Next, the hardest part, is to get it booted by the boot installation that is already on your machine (for windows) or to install a boot installation that can boot whatever you want to boot on your machine. There are several possibilities, but it is not easy to get it just right.

ozsouth

Avoid eMMc drives

#6 Post by ozsouth »

I have been trying to install LXpupSc64 on the same Ideapad 110S. I can run off usb, but my grub bootloader doesn't see eMMC partitions at boot time. Once booted off usb, I see mmcblk0p1 (efi) mmcblk0p3 (win10) & mmcblk0p4 (restore). Tried multiple settings, but after 10 sec or so delay, init looks for usb. Must be some driver needed in initrd.gz. Still have to deal with that maniacal TPM security. I could blow everything away, but then I can't return it, if no-one has any solutions.

foxpup

#7 Post by foxpup »

@ozsouth
How did you install?

On a windows 10 machine I use refind. I installed it with a running Puppy.
It should end up in your boot/efi partition next to windows boot. And it sets itself to boot first in the (uefi)bios.
I install puppies frugally in a map on a linux partition on the hd. That means: I copy kernel, initrd.gz and all sfs from the iso/img.
Refind does not find the puppies on its own. You have to add them into the refind.conf .

But you could also try LICK from your windows10.

ozsouth

#8 Post by ozsouth »

@foxpup - I copied files in the same manner you did (as I always do). No problems with several other uefi bios machines for dual booting - the issue is the eMMc (flashcard) drive not being recognised on bootup. This is the same issue the OP had on the same machine.

foxpup

#9 Post by foxpup »

Must be some driver needed in initrd.gz.
Or before that: something in the bios?
Does this help? :
https://askubuntu.com/questions/879986/ ... ity/883179

ozsouth

#10 Post by ozsouth »

Yes, I read that last week & decided to get the 110S & follow those instructions. Sadly, it didn't work for me. I may try a later kernel, although the one I used is only a month old.

Sailor Enceladus

#11 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

@ozsouth: I would curious be to know if this build works better or worse or the same
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 336#994336

Or is the problem only in LxPupSc64 and not regular Slacko64 or Slacko32? Which kernel are you using now?

foxpup

#12 Post by foxpup »

Or did you manage to boot any other linux on it yet?

Mind that a lot of uefi/grub constellation don't boot 32bit OS if the machine is 64bit.
the issue is the eMMc (flashcard) drive not being recognised on bootup
Does that mean you cannot boot into windows10 either?

foxpup

#13 Post by foxpup »

I just read this https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=235429 and had another thought. I myself have never managed legacy boot from the hd of a windows10 uefi machine. (I have from usb.)
Also: In uefi bios boot, what is under uefi? If nothing is there except booting windows, there is no boot installation for linux. So I repeat this question:
How did you install (Puppy)?
and what is the result in the efi partition?

ozsouth

#14 Post by ozsouth »

@foxpup - I only use 64bit (since 2016).

@Sailor - using k4.14.40 64bit - anything before 4.14 won't run the ath10k-pci wireless chip & I had to hunt down firmware even then.

@foxpup - I rename windows EFI to EFI-w & create EFI containing bootx64.efi, vmlinuz & initrd.gz.
I've used this method without fail since 2016 to dualboot.
When I do this with the Ideapad 110s - can't boot win10 either - the mmc isn't seen.

So I reverted the EFI & win10 boots, whether I have uefi OR legacy selected in bios (fastboot, faststart & hibernation turned off).

With UEFI selected & legacy off in bios, usb won't boot, so the earlier referenced ubuntu solution can't be tried exactly.

I'm thinking my bootx64.efi is outdated (2016) & doesn't include mmc bootup. However, can't find anything more recent than what's in recent puppies, so I'll stick with usb boot for now.

Thanks for suggestions, folks.

foxpup

#15 Post by foxpup »

I rename windows EFI to EFI-w & create EFI containing bootx64.efi, vmlinuz & initrd.gz.
Works nice for me. Thnx for the tip, ozsouth.
It seems as if I can throw out refind now.
I don't have to put vmlinuz and initrd.gz in the esp partition, I can put it with the sfs files on any partition I wish.
To be exact, I have to put bootx64.efi under sda1/EFI/Boot/ in my lenovo ideapad 510-15ISK. sda1 is my esp partition.
I use the bootx64.efi from slackware64-live. You can download it from here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qCirMh ... sp=sharing
It wants a grub.cfg next to it in /EFI/Boot/ from the esp partition.

ozsouth

#16 Post by ozsouth »

Have managed to run Puppy on Ideapad 110s - by installing a 120gb M.2.2280 Sata SSD card & changing boot order in bios. Is seen as /dev/sda & normal install works. TPM security must be enabled. Reverting boot order in bios allows win 10 to boot.

foxpup

#17 Post by foxpup »

ozsouth wrote:Have managed to run Puppy on Ideapad 110s - by installing a 120gb M.2.2280 Sata SSD card & changing boot order in bios. Is seen as /dev/sda & normal install works. TPM security must be enabled. Reverting boot order in bios allows win 10 to boot.
Nice improvement to your machine, the ssd card!

Can you not add the windows boot into your grub.cfg?

ozsouth

#18 Post by ozsouth »

Can't run from emmc from grub - doesn't see emmc until puppy running. A different initrd.gz with necessary modules included may work, as modules (???) can be insmod in grub, but I may try that later.
On other fronts, I've had to disable turbo due to fanless design & ssd retaining screw socket came out during tightening, so had to electrical tape ssd to mainboard.
I do not recommend buying this product.
UPDATE: a droplet of superglue reattached the screw socket, so usable again.
Last edited by ozsouth on Wed 13 Jun 2018, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.

foxpup

emmc: ask Barry

#19 Post by foxpup »

ozsouth wrote:Can't run from emmc from grub - doesn't see emmc until puppy running. A different initrd.gz with necessary modules included may work, as modules (???) can be insmod in grub, but I may try that later.
On other fronts, I've had to disable turbo due to fanless design & ssd retaining screw socket came out during tightening, so had to electrical tape ssd to mainboard.
I do not recommend buying this product.
Thanks for the warning. Some friends are looking to replace regular old HDD in their old but otherwise good laptops (dell and vaio); I'll warn them.

You don't have to return to emmc, don't you? But if you do, I just remembered that Barry uses similar lappie and his Quirkies and Easies run on it. He explained how to make such laptop ready to efiboot his builds somewhere and these weird partition names were in it.
Barry could explain what is needed for emmc. You probably can find something on his blog site too.
You could change and try other Puppies and derivatives.