Studio2Go 1.0

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ITSMERSH

Studio2Go 1.0

#1 Post by ITSMERSH »

This is Studio2Go-1.0-Release-01-2018-06-02.iso (non bootable ISO), Studio2Go-1.0-Release-01-2018-06-02.iso (bootable ISO thanks to smokey01),

a Puppy Linux Derivative based on Music2Go, which is based on Artful Puppy.

I have made a remaster of Music2Go and installed all of its Programs available to build Studio2Go. Also I created a new adrv_Studio2Go_1.0.sfs with some additional Programs installed.

Due to some problems with Hydrogen related to the new "auto-stop-note" option I installed Hydrogen 0.9.6 plus some new drumkits for Hydrogen. This problem seems to appear only when using Hydrogen connected to a sequencer program like Qtractor.

The GIMP 2.4 is removed from main sfs and therefor GIMP 2.8.22 has been added to the adrv_Studio2Go_1.0.sfs. There is also VLC and ALSA Player installed to run them under JACK Audio.

Cadence is removed from main sfs and therefor added to the adrv_Studio2Go_1.0.sfs. There is now QjackCtl installed into the main sfs.

Tint2 panel is removed since it was frequently crashing. As a replacement there is LxPanel installed.

Some additional programs that has been installed also:

- AmSynth
- Aqualung Player for JACK
- AsUnder
- JACK Mixer
- GTK Sequencer
- GTK Wave Cleaner
- Hexter
- Kid3
- Nekobee
- QtGain
- Samplv1
- Synthv1
- Yoshimi
- Zita Music Tools

Studio2Go was remastered using the LazY Remaster Suite. The ISO was build with "Make ISO" in Studio2Go.

Studio2Go is mirrored at archive.org - thanks to Ally for uploading!

The credits are mainly going to Smithy for building Music2Go and its software packages.

2018 May 06, RSH / LazY Puppy

Edit 1:

As smokey01 reported here, the ISO itself is NOT bootable in a virtual PC or when burnt to CD. There seems to be (STILL) an issue with "Make ISO" in ArtfulPup/Music2Go/Studio2Go and probably all other Puppies since Lucid Puppy, as I can recall having that problem of "not bootable ISOs" at times when I was creating LazY Puppy, which was based on Lucid Puppy.

I'm sorry for that limitation on Studio2Go...

Edit 2:
A bootable ISO is now stored at smokey01.com/RSH/Studio2Go.

Studio2Go-1.0-Release-01-2018-06-02.iso
Last edited by ITSMERSH on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 14:01, edited 3 times in total.

ally

#2 Post by ally »

ITSMERSH

#3 Post by ITSMERSH »

Thanks! :D
Last edited by ITSMERSH on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.

Moat

#4 Post by Moat »

Awesome, ITSMERSH! Thanks to you and Smithy for putting this together. Can't wait to give it a try (downloading now...). 8)

Bob

smokey01

#5 Post by smokey01 »

@RSH,

I downloaded https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... -06-02.iso but it wouldn't boot in Qemu.

Music2Go boots fine however.

Is this an issue with Qemu or your distro.

The MD5 of the downloaded iso here is:

MD5 sums
========
240e8e0bbae663207652e2a164ac8962 Studio2Go-1.0-Release-01-2018-06-02.iso

Cheers

ITSMERSH

#6 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi.

The md5sum seems to be correct.

I remastered the main sfs of Music2Go only (inlcuding the changes in DISTRO_SPECS in initrd.gz) with my LazY Remaster Suite. The ISO was created with "Make ISO" in Studio2Go itself.

I did NOT burn the ISO to cd to test booting from cd since I'm doing manual installs to HD or USB Flash Drive only. So, probably "Make ISO" doesn't create bootable ISOs?

Am I right assuming QEmu(lation?) is similar to a PC within a PC ? Like VirtualBox?

smokey01

#7 Post by smokey01 »

ITSMERSH wrote:Hi.

The md5sum seems to be correct.

I remastered the main sfs of Music2Go only (inlcuding the changes in DISTRO_SPECS in initrd.gz) with my LazY Remaster Suite. The ISO was created with "Make ISO" in Studio2Go itself.

I did NOT burn the ISO to cd to test booting from cd since I'm doing manual installs to HD or USB Flash Drive only. So, probably "Make ISO" doesn't create bootable ISOs?

Am I right assuming QEmu(lation?) is similar to a PC within a PC ? Like VirtualBox?
The ISO is not bootable but it appears to have the correct files included. As it is an ISO most people would likely expect it to be bootable, I did :lol:

Yes, Qemu is like VirtualBox. It can create virtual machines.

Once I recreated the ISO as bootable all seemed to go well.

ITSMERSH

#8 Post by ITSMERSH »

I burnt the ISO to cd and tried booting from that cd.

No success.

Must be an issue with "Make ISO" in ArtfulPup/Music2Go/Studio2Go.

I can recall such problems with "Make ISO" at times when working on LazY Puppy. So I created a script to make bootable ISOs by default. Just thought "Make ISO" MUST have been fixed in newer Puppies - obviously not.

Will keep it in mind for the next time and then going to create the ISO using my lovely good and well equipped LazY Puppy. :wink:

Thanks for the reply and testings.

ITSMERSH

#9 Post by ITSMERSH »

Ok,

I have examined the code of "Make ISO" which is a symbolic link to a RoxApp "dir-to-iso" in /usr/local/apps. Its AppRun script calls /usr/bin/dir-to-iso and this one hasn't any option to create a bootable ISO.

It has:

Code: Select all

mkisofs -D -R -o "$z.iso" "$t" 
Mine from LazY Puppy has:

Code: Select all

# init data to create bootable iso from dir
BOOTPARM=""
[ -f $ISOFILEDIR/grldr ] && BOOTPARM="-b grldr"
[ -f $ISOFILEDIR/isolinux.bin ] && BOOTPARM="-b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat"
VOLI=`basename "$ISOFILEDIR"`
[ "$VOLI" != "" ] && VOLI="-V $(echo "$VOLI"|tr ' ' '_')"

# if $BOOTPARM = "" create non bootable iso
if [ "$BOOTPARM" != "" ]; then
	rxvt -geometry 80x10+25+25 -fg orange -transparent -title "$APPTITLE" -e mkisofs -J -D -R $VOLI -o "$z.iso" $BOOTPARM -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table "$t"
	else
	rxvt -geometry 80x10+25+25 -fg orange -transparent -title "$APPTITLE" -e mkisofs -D -R -o "$z.iso" "$t" 
fi
So, script dir-to-iso in original Puppies definitely needs an update!

Smithy

#10 Post by Smithy »

I think I used Peasy Disc v4.1 to create music2go ISO, if that's any help RSH.

smokey01

#11 Post by smokey01 »

I used @RSH roxapp to make the ISO bootable. I modified it however for Fatdog.