EasyOS version 2.3.2, June 22, 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Sage

#761 Post by Sage »

supra - it seems to depend on the monitor, too.
Update: Managed to get the nv-regular working OK on an old 1024 monitor this a.m. but not nouveau.

foxpup

nvidia

#762 Post by foxpup »

Has anyone who uses a pc with Nvidia graphics card been able to get to the desktop?
Always with a stop on nox. Rufwoof has given a good explanation for the needed stop on nox.
On 0.9 and now 0.9.3 I can go straight to X with vesa, but I cannot get resolution 1280x1024, just 1024x768. It is also the only driver that works, no modesetting or whatever. I have also tried to compile the nvidia driver, without success so far because of the high kernel number of Easy and the driver is legacy 304.

foxpup

suggestions for additional apps

#763 Post by foxpup »

With mc compiled for Easy, I must think of cmus, the commandline version of audacious, small and powerfull.
As an analog app for images and photo collections I'd suggest geeqie.

For convenience I always add Uextract and dillo.

Billtoo

Re: suggestions for additional apps

#764 Post by Billtoo »

foxpup wrote: I must think of cmus, the commandline version of audacious, small and powerfull.
I made a cmus pet, I run it a user spot by editing the .spot-status file in the root directory and then running loginmanager from the terminal.

I think doing "man cmus" no quotes in the terminal will cause seamonkey to load the man page.
Attachments
cmus.jpg
(156.38 KiB) Downloaded 483 times
cmus-2.7.1-amd64.pet
(236.48 KiB) Downloaded 118 times

foxpup

thanks Billtoo for cmus

#765 Post by foxpup »

Hey, thank you for the cmus pet, Billtoo!

Any particular reason to run it as spot?

Sage

#766 Post by Sage »

Your music choice, Bill, also reminds me of my long gone youth...
As for mc, used to use it all the time 30+yrs ago. It's CLI isn't it or is there a graphical version now. Think there was an 8bit version, or somethiing resembling same?

Billtoo

Re: thanks Billtoo for cmus

#767 Post by Billtoo »

foxpup wrote:Hey, thank you for the cmus pet, Billtoo!

Cmus will play internet radio if you know the url of the station so I run it as spot.
I had a list of stations but I've lost it, still looking for it.

Billtoo

#768 Post by Billtoo »

Sage wrote:Your music choice, Bill, also reminds me of my long gone youth...
As for mc, used to use it all the time 30+yrs ago. It's CLI isn't it or is there a graphical version now. Think there was an 8bit version, or somethiing resembling same?
Hi Sage,

Mc is still included in some of the new distros, Manjaro for one I think, it will run in a terminal or from the command line.
There are several mc-like filemanagers available.

I like the oldies music but some of the new stuff as well.

Sage

#769 Post by Sage »

I like the oldies
Rumour has it, if you listen acutely, you can hear Billy Bolden singing...
or
for the jazz&blues fans in the UK:
true musicians are reputed to live within the sound of Dobells'.

Young stags requiring explanations can speak to any oldie or PM me.
Last edited by Sage on Tue 29 May 2018, 06:10, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

EasyOS Pyro 0.9.3 (May 26)

#770 Post by Billtoo »

@Barry

Thanks for the new Firefox, it's working well.
Attachments
nightly.jpg
(54.39 KiB) Downloaded 720 times

foxpup

Re: thanks Billtoo for cmus

#771 Post by foxpup »

Billtoo wrote:
foxpup wrote:Hey, thank you for the cmus pet, Billtoo!

Cmus will play internet radio if you know the url of the station so I run it as spot.
I had a list of stations but I've lost it, still looking for it.
Yes it can, I forgot.
Isn't there a list (made) in pupradio or so?
I mainly use cmus with an external harddisc, or more then one, mine and others I borrow from friends for a while. I let cmus search everything on the discs and then kind of surf. ;) Hearing one thing makes me search for something else and so on...

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: EasyOS Pyro 0.9.3 (May 26)

#772 Post by BarryK »

Billtoo wrote:@Barry

Thanks for the new Firefox, it's working well.
Good, the blog announcement is here:

http://bkhome.org/news/201805/firefox-6 ... -pyro.html

I also attempted to compile chromium. Followed the instructions, it downloaded vast amounts of files, about 10GB, it took ages just to download, even with my new fast Telstra account.

Then, finally got to the step of doing the actual build, and it almost immediately gave an error. What is particularly annoying is that the error seems to be something internal, not due to the host system.

I have attempted to compile chromium before, never succeeded. I notice that it is offered in OpenEmbedded, but an old version.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Billtoo

#773 Post by Billtoo »

I made a pet of Lxtask, it creates an entry in the System section of the menu.
Attachments
lxtask-0.1.8-amd64.pet
(69.42 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
lxtask.jpg
(64.39 KiB) Downloaded 599 times

belham2

#774 Post by belham2 »

Hi Barry, Bill and all,

Made a change from my usual 'frugal' installs, and installed Easy 0.9.3 to a 4GB USB stick, using EasyDD and the easy image from Ibibio. All went smooth, and it has been running for 72 hours straight now on this somewhat old Sony Vaio Core I3 laptop with 8GB ram.

Much thanks for compiling Firefox....installed it, immediately put it into a Container, and have not had a problem since. I could deal with Seamonkey, but my only problem with it is the utter lack of support for adblockers and such. No one supports it anymore ;-( Can't even get seatabX and/or colorful tabs working on it without it crashing Seamonkey constantly. Oh well, this nightly build of Firefox is working quite nicely.

Thanks again, Barry! Easy has really turned into something nice :wink:
Attachments
easy-0.9.3-pyro.jpg
(60.25 KiB) Downloaded 600 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#775 Post by BarryK »

belham2 wrote:Much thanks for compiling Firefox....installed it, immediately put it into a Container, and have not had a problem since. I could deal with Seamonkey, but my only problem with it is the utter lack of support for adblockers and such. No one supports it anymore ;-( Can't even get seatabX and/or colorful tabs working on it without it crashing Seamonkey constantly. Oh well, this nightly build of Firefox is working quite nicely.
Is it just because I'm getting old, and belong to an earlier era...

I like the traditional drop-down menus of SeaMonkey. Firefox has the new menu style which is phone and tablet touch-interface-friendly. The main problem with the new-style UI is that it has much less "information density", in other words, there are usually less options, or to put it another way, it is dumbed-down.

But, I guess it is what you personally prefer ...like some users hated my earlier green theme :lol:

Changing the subject, interesting things happening:

http://bkhome.org/news/201805/isolated- ... mount.html
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

tigs

#776 Post by tigs »

BarryK wrote:
belham2 wrote:Much thanks for compiling Firefox....installed it, immediately put it into a Container, and have not had a problem since. I could deal with Seamonkey, but my only problem with it is the utter lack of support for adblockers and such. No one supports it anymore ;-( Can't even get seatabX and/or colorful tabs working on it without it crashing Seamonkey constantly. Oh well, this nightly build of Firefox is working quite nicely.
Is it just because I'm getting old, and belong to an earlier era...

I like the traditional drop-down menus of SeaMonkey. Firefox has the new menu style which is phone and tablet touch-interface-friendly. The main problem with the new-style UI is that it has much less "information density", in other words, there are usually less options, or to put it another way, it is dumbed-down.

But, I guess it is what you personally prefer ...like some users hated my earlier green theme :lol:

Changing the subject, interesting things happening:

http://bkhome.org/news/201805/isolated- ... mount.html
I like both of what you mentioned here. The reason I was using 0.9.2. the 0.9.3 is good as well, but it doesn't work with nvidia as well as 0.9.2.

the new idea is similar to TENS or LPS.

Cu Chulinux

#777 Post by Cu Chulinux »

Hey all thanks for the mc pets. Run fine in 0.9.1

On another note, I upgraded my Easy HD install from 0.9.1 to 0.9.3 and I got "failed to load q.sfs". I updated the BOOT_SPECS same as previously. I double-checked everything and seems to be set up fine, just won't load q. I'll see if I can get a snapshot of the screen message for you with my phone.

It (0.9.3) booted fine from USB, although intel sna started acting up again. I couldn't find a modesetting option in xorgwizard. Switched to uxa and settled down some. Things just seem flaky in general running from USB on this laptop (Toshiba P55-A5200).

On yet another note, I prefer seamonkey for its much more modest RAM requirements. Firefox is a major memory hog.

Cu Chulinux

#778 Post by Cu Chulinux »

Barry, here is a screenshot of the startup for Easy 0.9.3 showing failed mounting of q.sfs
Attachments
20180530_200615_small.jpg
(92.67 KiB) Downloaded 101 times

Billtoo

#779 Post by Billtoo »

I installed to a usb-3.0 SSD, computer is an Acer laptop.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Wed 30 May 2018 on Easy Pyro64 0.9.3 Linux 4.14.41 x86_64
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
oem: Intel(R) Sandybridge/Ivybridge Graphics Chipset Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(R) Sandybridge/Ivybridge Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.19.1
dimensions: 1366x768 pixels (361x203 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.0.7

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3227U CPU @ 1.90GHz
Core 0: @1241 1: @1333 2: @1332 3: @1190 MHz

Works well, the touchscreen is supported.

Thanks.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(98.08 KiB) Downloaded 338 times

lp-dolittle

isolated bootup

#780 Post by lp-dolittle »

Hi Barry,

just a question, as for your 'isolated bootup' project. If I correctly understood your explanation, while running your planned Easy OS from a flash drive which has 2 partitions you will enjoy 'complete security'.

Did you also figure out a way to protect this new Easy OS when the flash drive is plugged in after, for example, a Puppy which provides full root capabilities already is running in RAM, booted from a live-CD? I'm thinking of the risk that this new Easy OS - and the comprised data - still would be vulnerable to manipulation while being inactive.

Could your 'isolated bootup' system also work if the flash drive's second partition (the working partition) contains an encrypted filesystem?

kind regards