BionicPup32 (UPupBB) (27 June 2020)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
davids45

Bionic1805+5 via delta

#121 Post by davids45 »

G'day peebee,

I've made a Bionic18.05+5 via the reposted delta and all looks good. 'Cut a bit of a corner' by using the savefile from ubbpup-15.05-4 which gave no problems I could find.

Boot-manager now works as before.

I'll try adding your new Sc 64-bit kernel to this Bionic also as before, since that was fine with 18.05+4.

And I've had a good result with your LxPupSc18.05-3, via its delta, and again fudging by using the savefile from LxPupSc1805-2. I tested its bootmanager and it was working OK with sfs.

So the above mentioned woof fix(es) look also good.

Thanks for all your work.

David S.

peebee

Re: Bionic1805+5 via delta

#122 Post by peebee »

davids45 wrote:So the above mentioned woof fix(es) look also good.
Thanks for all your work.
Good news - actually wdlkmpx is the person to thank....now back on the forum I think as aaaaa ??
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

davids45

64-bit Sc kernel 4.16.11 added

#123 Post by davids45 »

G'day peebee,

Just to complete the initial testing - I've switched both recent delta-updated Pups to your last posted Sc 64-bit kernel (4.16.11), and still using my old savefile shortcuts, both 32-bit Pups with this 64-bit kernel are running without problem so far.

Have you contemplated trying a 64-bit Bionic kernel in these Pups (sorry if you have answered this query before, or if you've already done it as one of your experiments)?

The usual thanks for all your effort.

David S.

live

#124 Post by live »

live wrote:
Multiple monitors - External monitor.

TEST: upupbb-18.05+2

Laptop with external HDMI monitor.

When I boot, I go in the multi monitor support,
select: disconnect laptop monitor
click: APPLY
Perfect my hdmi monitor is now the only monitor
But I can NOT save this, nor go in the advanced tab.

After 10 sec folds back to dual monitor view.

I just experienced that issue this morning doing a new frugal-install.

System>Monitor Settings

I got around it by copying "LXRandR autostart" from another pup and pasting it in "/root/.config/autostart" in bionic.
Not fixed in upupbb-18.05+3
I signal that .opus, .ogg, .webp have no file association, I presume webm as well.

recobayu

#125 Post by recobayu »

So do I, live.
I install zarfy from here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47603
And my problem fixed.

Open terminal and type zarfy.
:D

jplt_bis

Why all this memory used ?

#126 Post by jplt_bis »

Hi all,

i tried UPup Bionic Beaver on my old laptop (HP Compaq 6715b, 2x AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2, 1 Go ram)

it is too slow for him ! see memory usage screenshot :
Attachments
capture8732.png
With tahrpup a lot less !
(6.28 KiB) Downloaded 1526 times
Screenshot.png
Too much memory !
(7.84 KiB) Downloaded 1534 times

Wyk72

Samba version: 4.7.0 or 4.7.6+dfsg (upupbb 18.05+3)

#127 Post by Wyk72 »

I was trying to install winbind: the package manager warns me about a version difference about samba packages (see picture).

Is it safe to install the whole samba-4.7.6 package from repository ? Or should I get a 4.7.0-i686 winbind package ?
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(75.27 KiB) Downloaded 1342 times

fredx181

Re: Why all this memory used ?

#128 Post by fredx181 »

jplt_bis wrote:Hi all,

i tried UPup Bionic Beaver on my old laptop (HP Compaq 6715b, 2x AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2, 1 Go ram)

There has been a change in how newer version of Htop calculates memory usage.
If you run "free -m" from terminal you'll probably see something very different (normal, compared to how it is on Tahrpup).

Fred

Sailor Enceladus

Re: Why all this memory used ?

#129 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

fredx181 wrote:
jplt_bis wrote:Hi all,

There has been a change in how newer version of Htop calculates memory usage.
If you run "free -m" from terminal you'll probably see something very different (normal, compared to how it is on Tahrpup).

Fred
Yup, if it helps I posted a screenshot showing the difference between htop versions here too:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 886#915886

peebee

Re: BlueTooth

#130 Post by peebee »

tlchost wrote:BlueTooth does not run on Upup Bionic Beaver
Can someone with BlueTooth please test:
http://www.smokey01.com/peebee/download ... 01-ubb.sfs in UpupBB?

Basically as from http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111331 except menu item moved to Utility and missing ntf substitute added.
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

tlchost

Re: BlueTooth

#131 Post by tlchost »

peebee wrote:
tlchost wrote:BlueTooth does not run on Upup Bionic Beaver
http://www.smokey01.com/peebee/download ... 01-ubb.sfs in UpupBB?

Basically as from http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111331 except menu item moved to Utility and missing ntf substitute added.
detects my bluetooth device iogear gbu521 but will not connect...iogear does not offer linux drivers for this device.

petihar

#132 Post by petihar »

Hello peebee
Glad you're interested in Bluetooth. It would be wonderful to be able to include it in bb.
Tested with a TRENDnet adapter, it is not detected.
Sincerely, petihar
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(88.93 KiB) Downloaded 152 times

peebee

#133 Post by peebee »

petihar wrote:Tested with a TRENDnet adapter, it is not detected.
Sincerely, petihar
Does it work with any other pup?

The errors you see look like glib-gio problems.....so maybe the .sfs is not compatible with upupbb....

petihar

#134 Post by petihar »

Difficult to use bluetooth on a lot of pup, however I managed easily with fatdog and some time ago with precise puppy.

Otherwise no problem with mint, ubuntu, debian, peppermint etc....

Regards, petihar

tenochslb

#135 Post by tenochslb »

On the bluetooth test request,

On 18.05 delta 3, i was not able to pair, I used a cellphone and headphones.

Code: Select all

# puppybt 
D-Bus setup failed: Connection ":1.35" is not allowed to own the service "org.bluez" due to security policies in the configuration file
Scanning ...
/usr/bin/puppybt: line 436: 11449 Terminated              gtkdialog -c --program=process
# puppybt 
D-Bus setup failed: Connection ":1.38" is not allowed to own the service "org.bluez" due to security policies in the configuration file
Scanning ...
EXIT="process"
40:88:05	MotoG3
Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.bluez was not provided by any .service files
Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.bluez was not provided by any .service files
EXIT="abort"
# puppybt 
D-Bus setup failed: Connection ":1.46" is not allowed to own the service "org.bluez" due to security policies in the configuration file
Scanning ...
FC:58:FA:\	PBT103
EXIT="process"
EXIT="abort"
# puppybt 
D-Bus setup failed: Connection ":1.58" is not allowed to own the service "org.bluez" due to security policies in the configuration file
Scanning ...
FC:58:FA:	PBT103
EXIT="process"
EXIT="abort"
# 
Yes, bluetooth should be standard in all puppies.

rockedge

#136 Post by rockedge »

I am having trouble with the "network" app in the Rox Filer....after a successful scan and finding shares, the mount fails of each server and share. I am running a freshly built Bionic 18.05 with a kernel 4.17 pae enabled, done with woof-CE testing branch
The problem is they've changed the default dialect to SMB3 in mount.cifs. Originally it defaulted to SMB1. To get get the same behavior as Ubuntu 16.04 you add vers=1.0 to the mount options.

I have tracked the fix down .... it is in /root/network/Network/scripts/part2
change line 27 to :

mount.cifs //$IP/"$Share" "$APPDIR"/mnt-point -o username=$Username,password=\$Password,file_mode=0775,dir_mode=0775,gid=$(awk -F: "/^users/ {print \$3}" /etc/group),noserverino,vers=1.0,nounix,sec=ntlm$IOCHARSET

peebee

#137 Post by peebee »

rockedge wrote:I am having trouble with the "network" app in the Rox Filer....after a successful scan and finding shares, the mount fails of each server and share. I am running a freshly built Bionic 18.05 with a kernel 4.17 pae enabled, done with woof-CE testing branch
The problem is they've changed the default dialect to SMB3 in mount.cifs. Originally it defaulted to SMB1. To get get the same behavior as Ubuntu 16.04 you add vers=1.0 to the mount options.

I have tracked the fix down .... it is in /root/network/Network/scripts/part2
change line 27 to :

mount.cifs //$IP/"$Share" "$APPDIR"/mnt-point -o username=$Username,password=\$Password,file_mode=0775,dir_mode=0775,gid=$(awk -F: "/^users/ {print \$3}" /etc/group),noserverino,vers=1.0,nounix,sec=ntlm$IOCHARSET
Hmmmmmmmmmm............

upupbb is using 2014 vintage:
:network_roxapp:|pet|Packages-puppy-noarch-official|network_roxapp-0.8-1-utf8|network_roxapp|0.8-1-utf8||Network|96K||network_roxapp-0.8-1-utf8.pet||rox app samba share mounter||||

whereas lxpupsc is using 2016 vintage:
:network_roxapp_samba:|pet|Packages-puppy-noarch-official|network_roxapp_samba-0.9|network_roxapp_samba|0.9||Network|104K||network_roxapp_samba-0.9.pet||samba share mounter||||

Could you try loading:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... ba-0.9.pet

to see if it fixes problem? If so I'll change the build.

rockedge

#138 Post by rockedge »

peebee wrote:Could you try loading:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... ba-0.9.pet

to see if it fixes problem? If so I'll change the build.
I will try it out! I must do some stuff in the garden first then I will use a fresh frugal of this Bionic and load the PET.
I will let you know of the results!

Also an issue is when I load the devx Glade will not run out of the box....I must add libgtk-3 with the PPM, then Glade starts and runs well.

rockedge

#139 Post by rockedge »

I have installed http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... ba-0.9.pet

it does not work correctly. Seems to find the server/shares alright, but upon attempting to open the share it opens an empty rox-filer window of the mount-pnt

I tested on of the created share folder/app by adding "vers=1.0" to line 40 containing the mount.cifs and that worked....I then added the "vers=1.0" to line 28 in the /scripts/part2 and the network search now hangs.

peebee

#140 Post by peebee »

rockedge wrote:I am having trouble with the "network" app in the Rox Filer....
Hi

I've tested the app with my samba share on my pc running LxPupSc and it seems to work ok - as does pnethood.....

What is your exact network setup? Where is the share and what os is it running under?

Have you tried pnethood or yassm in the Network menu? Do they work?

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(85.86 KiB) Downloaded 1875 times