Is the 'woof woof' sound on first boot too shocking?

Using applications, configuring, problems
aaaaa

Is the 'woof woof' sound on first boot too shocking?

#1 Post by aaaaa »

I had two "incidents" in the last 2 weeks.

I had the speakers on and forgot to turn them off before booting a puppy i wanted to test.

And 'woof woof' caused some unexpected reactions in my family.

It shocked me as well. It sounded too loud and aggressive, the kind of sound you expect to hear in a brutal death metal "song".

I also remember having an embarrasing moment in a friend's house some time ago.

This sound has also caused me mental issues. I get a panic attack when i hear it..

ITSMERSH

#2 Post by ITSMERSH »

YES, it is too shocking!

The first time I booted a Puppy, my heart started beating like going crazy. The first change I made in all my remastered Puppies was a replacement of the bark* files in /usr/share/audio!

The barking dog may be funny for younger people or even people owning dogs. But for older people without getting used to barking dogs it's really shocking! :shock:

Btw.: you joined yesterday, but doing WoofCE stuff. Did you lose your old account on this forum? If so, did you have any issues to register again to the forum?

Moat

#3 Post by Moat »

Bah... I love the two barks!! :D Not quite a Puppy without it, feels like...

Bob

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

They make me jump every time. :lol:

Burn_IT

#5 Post by Burn_IT »

It is easy enough to replace the sound file with a different one.
I changed mine to a cat miaowing and it sends both my cats and dog looking for the interloper.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

8Geee

#6 Post by 8Geee »

Perhaps a volume control or two needs a tweak? :o
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

OscarTalks

#7 Post by OscarTalks »

It has never caused a problem for me.
I think of it as one of those little gimmicks which I associate with Puppy.
Just a personal opinion, but I presume that is what this thread is asking for.
Oscar in England

RetroTechGuy

#8 Post by RetroTechGuy »

Flash wrote:They make me jump every time. :lol:
I always jump with joy!... I know that it correctly configured the sound on whichever random device that I installed it on... :-)
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

Sailor Enceladus

#9 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

RetroTechGuy wrote:I know that it correctly configured the sound on whichever random device that I installed it on... :-)
Yup I always figured this was it's main purpose. On my laptop 50% volume is pretty loud but on my dad's (Dell Latitude E4300) I can't really hear anything at 50% and it starts to go up between 50-75%, so perhaps the loudness is to accommodate for these edge cases where 75% isn't very loud (to make sure everyone hears the two barks).

jafadmin

#10 Post by jafadmin »

If two barks is "shocking" to you, it might be a good idea to stay off the internet altogether while your speakers are on.

There are sounds more "shocking" than two barks all over the internets.

darry19662018

#11 Post by darry19662018 »

Scares the B'jebbers out of my wife:) :lol:

Marv

#12 Post by Marv »

Every now and then on a machine I build up I substitute 30 seconds of "The East is Red" or "The Internationale". THAT is shocking. Back on topic, I'm with RetroTechGuy. It's a sign of life in a new boot or device that's quite welcome. Then the volume goes way down, more for the internet clutter than the barks.
Last edited by Marv on Fri 25 May 2018, 00:42, edited 1 time in total.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

davids45

Default sound level too high in woof-CE booting

#13 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

For some months now, on my 12-ish year old desktop, the start up sound in Pups is too loud - be they barks or xylophones.

Not quite at the level of an H&S issue - and I still have ear-plugs and ear-muffs from my working days, if there wasn't a work-around after that first boot.

I only have the in-built PC speaker on my computer, yet 'others' here ('her indoors') complain about the noise when recent Pups first start.

I quickly reset the sound level to about 40-50% (task bar slider) and thereafter seem to get away with it.

Maybe it's a problem because different set-ups have different sound system powers?

But I for one would prefer fewer Watts at start-up.

David S.

nosystemdthanks

#14 Post by nosystemdthanks »

it was cute the first few times, i think i ran puppy for a few months (more than 10 years ago) and it didnt bother me.

for at least 10 years though, ive thought this is just about puppys #1 worst feature. some notes:

* i have a script that automatically (no intervention) remixes puppy. i can add a line that fixes the iso, even create a tool that ONLY turns this feature off. thats 20 minutes of waiting for the automatic tool to work, which is fine with me.

* my very first priority when i run puppy unmodified is to be sure that the speakers are off, because of this.

* this frequently happened at night when it just gives the impression that im a jerk-- it is not easy to remember to mitigate this 100% of the time

* i wasnt sure puppy still did this though? either way, i dont suppose i really care that much-- im very clear on what side of this debate im on though!

hamoudoudou

My family is so noisy that i even not hear at barks

#15 Post by hamoudoudou »

My family is so noisy that i even not hear at barks.. I decided to kick them out !

slavvo67

#16 Post by slavvo67 »

Pretty funny topic. Yes, they have scared me a few times. Especially when I'm booting up in the middle of the night instead of sleeping, like normal people....