21%
not mad about it but will tolerate it
11%
i dont love it, but i can understand why people would like it
3%

Total votes: 63

step

#81 Post by step »

@marc, sorry if I misled you about m-a-c in Fatdog64-702. I've been running Fatdog64-710a2 (alpha 2) for months now, so that's where the *2* is coming from. Probably the patch is exclusively in 710 alphas.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

perdido

#82 Post by perdido »

bigpup wrote:I just found out you can put the list columns where you want them.
Try it.
Go to list view.
Left click and hold on a column heading.
Drag it to the location you want it.
That works in Precise 5.7.1, can move any of the columns except permissions, but permissions will move around by dropping a column heading next to it and "pushing" it

mjaksen

#83 Post by mjaksen »

@step:

Yeah, 710a2. It works. But it doesn't seem to remember the new column layout.

This is one of those weird dev things, where the dev spent his time getting the drag and drop column reorder to work rather than give us a working configurable column layout, even if it has a XML config file.

Marc

learnhow2code

#84 Post by learnhow2code »

ASD wrote:I have repeated the action reported immediately above, remastered, rebooted and now (m-a-c) is working and the md5 sum matches with the one you gave - thank you again.
very impressive-- glad it worked.

darkcity

#85 Post by darkcity »

I came over from Risc OS to Puppy Linux, after a long break from enjoying computing. So Rox was familiar and welcoming.

However, I now prefer thunar. Rox Filer can get confusing when navigating many directories, made worse by being able to have the same directory open in multiple windows.

:twisted:

phat7

#86 Post by phat7 »

darkcity wrote:Rox Filer can get confusing when navigating many directories, made worse by being able to have the same directory open in multiple windows.
Options - Filer windows - check "Unique windows"

Illutorium

#87 Post by Illutorium »

For JWM with PMount: Awesome.
For LXDE/Xfce: Rather not.

nic007

#88 Post by nic007 »

I only use one fixed ROX window, fixed size, fixed position. Use the bookmarks button for quick navigation, install MultiCopyPaste for copy, move, paste operations (more than one item can be selected) . Works excellent. No need for dragging stuff between windows.
Attachments
rox1.png
(190.14 KiB) Downloaded 347 times
rox2.png
(192.2 KiB) Downloaded 349 times

8Geee

#89 Post by 8Geee »

Well, I don't code, but use ROX as navigation in puppy. Recent changes are bold, but there seems to be a limit, since sometimes the full path is not bold.

Double clicks kill mice and trackpads twice as fast, so single click is welcome.

It might be a puppy thing, but I wish my settings would stick upon remaster.

01micko put ROX/jwm905 in Slacko5.7. They just work. But I'm sure there are different apps for that. :wink:

8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

darry19662018

#90 Post by darry19662018 »

Mmm wouldn't say I loved Rox but it is quick to use for me to use at times and I'm used to it. Mind you I really love using xfe too.

Works well with pmoiunt.:)

ITSMERSH

#91 Post by ITSMERSH »

Ok,

there's some stuff would be good to be improved like copy/paste, though: I "love" Rox - especially for the RoxApps! :D 8)

Mike Walsh

#92 Post by Mike Walsh »

Late to the party on this one.....but I will say this much.

Like many people whose comments I've read over the years, it took a wee while (and several queries on the Forum in the early days!) to get the hang of it. However, I now can't imagine using anything else.

OK, so it's 'different' to most 'standard' file-managers.....but that statement applies to pretty much the entire Puppy cosmos. The fact of the matter is, if I go into any other distro's file-manager nowadays, I have to consciously stop and carefully think what I'm doing. I simply don't find them at all 'intuitive'. Sorry, jlst...

The main reason I've stuck with my one 'alternative' Linux distro (Anti-X) is pretty simple. Because it offers ROX/JWM as one of the available desktop/FM combos. I'm thoroughly used to it, so I use it there, too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And to reply to one of the now-departed starhawk's observations:-
starhawk wrote:Single click to everything, as default. If I want my computer to behave like a ****ing Mac, I'll buy a ****ing Mac. This is not a Mac, therefore I should not be seeing single click anything except select. Period.
Can't agree with that. Windoze had the 'single-click, hover to select' option as far back as Win98. From the early days of XP (around 2002-3) I'd already begun using it.....I absolutely loathed the Windoze 'double-click', and was mighty glad to see the back of it. I was extremely happy to see that it was generally implemented in most Linux distros, during my distro-hopping days. It was invariably one of the first options I always set up.

I also can't agree with step's comment about most people finding window auto-resizing annoying. I have mine set to a 'maximum' of 75%. Why shouldn'tthe window shrink to fit the number of items contained within it? Makes sense to me.....

Horses for courses, I guess. We're all different, as far as personal preferences go. That's why there's options!

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Thu 24 May 2018, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.

woodenshoe-wi

#93 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

ITSMERSH wrote:there's some stuff would be good to be improved like copy/paste,
That is one of the things I have been working on improving, but I can't seem to get people to test the new version.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 140#990140

8Geee

#94 Post by 8Geee »

and then theres resizing of icons in the window and vert/horiz arrangement among others. Try usr/lib sometime... and use a good font like Liberation-mono or sans-11pt. Easy on the eyes, less scrolling, see more of whats in there.

Makes me wonder if anyone configures the browser... :twisted:

8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Smithy

#95 Post by Smithy »

woodenshoe-wi wrote:
ITSMERSH wrote:there's some stuff would be good to be improved like copy/paste,
That is one of the things I have been working on improving, but I can't seem to get people to test the new version.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 140#990140
Tried your latest pet woodenshoe.
Cut copy and paste working well from initial tests.
Tried a big ISO and highlighted several files to transfer, no problems.
Would be nice to have a progress meter to replace the one that frequently breaks in puppy (for me anyways) but not sure if that is possible, no idea where that progress bar comes from. I've not seen it for months, since I broke it.

woodenshoe-wi

#96 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

Smithy wrote:Would be nice to have a progress meter to replace the one that frequently breaks in puppy (for me anyways) but not sure if that is possible, no idea where that progress bar comes from. I've not seen it for months, since I broke it.
I'm afraid I can't help you find it, :) but mine is working normally.

One thing that I should point out is that the progress bar only works when you are copying multiple items. If you are copying one directory with lots of stuff inside it still only counts as one item.

If you want some feedback when you are copying single directories with lots of files inside make sure the "Brief" option is NOT selected. It won't give you a progress bar, but at least you can see what is happening.
Attachments
brief.jpg
(30.05 KiB) Downloaded 294 times

Smithy

#97 Post by Smithy »

Hi woodenshoe, it could be possibly openbox that breaks it, but it's no biggie, it really adds to rox and makes it more complete like sfr's multi cut. Good work.