EasyOS version 2.3.2, June 22, 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
scsijon

Re: 091 hard disc re-access from stick problem

#741 Post by scsijon »

BarryK wrote:
scsijon wrote:Sorry Barry, a curly one for you.

Decided to install 0.9.1 to a spare desktop to try to build a package that I ocassionally play as a stress relief (ToME).
Installed 0.9.1 to a memory stick with dd ok.
Blew a spare hard drive away and put it in one of my dev desktops.
0.9.1 installed to the hard drive sda1 ok from the memory stick.
shutdown the desktop and removed the memory stick.
I booted the hard drive up and it added sda2 with all spare space.
I wanted to add a swap drive and put the memory stick back in and rebooted the desktop.
I told the pc (via f12) to boot the memory stick and not the hard drive.
The memory stick light came up once, however in starting it autopicked to start from sda/sda2, not sdb1/sdb2 as I had expected it to do.
Shutdown the desktop and tried starting it again, and got the same result.
I got out an earlier pyro (0.8.1) memory stick and tried again (with F12) and it booted correctly.
Blew the hard drive clean and tried it all with 0.8.1 and it worked correctly, both the install and restart from the memory stick.
cleaned the hard drive out again.
tried again with 0.9.1 and got the same problem.
It seems that I can install it once, but restarting a second time from the memory stick it's automatically picking the hard drive to load and start from.

Any ideas?
This is indeed a curly one!

Is this a PC with UEFI firmware?
yes! The latest general release too.
Last edited by scsijon on Fri 25 May 2018, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.

disciple

re audacious skins

#742 Post by disciple »

Hi Barry,
Regarding the audacious skins: audacious of course has several different interfaces which are built as plugins so they can be selected at runtime rather than needing a recompile.
The skinned interface uses old Winamp skins and is not the same as the (fantastic) default gtk2 interface. It might just be that you need to enable the plugin.

Regards
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

tigs

boot drive not found

#743 Post by tigs »

I am having difficulty installing onto a hard drive. The hard drive I am installing to is not a primary drive. The primary drive is a Windows 10 drive. I was able to do it for a while, but not anymore. Here was what I did and what happened:

1. I formatted the drive, created gpt partition, created the first fat32 partition of 2G, flagged it with esp and boot.

2. Created a second partition EXT4

3. copy these files and folder to the fat32 partition

4. Modified the file to reflect the Hard drive ID

5. boot from this drive

Refind load, boot menu shows, but it unable to find the boot drive: "Error, boot drive not found". after repeated scanning including the drive where i put those files.

I have tried other distros with no problem at all, for example TENS, formerly LPS. in this case it is very easy, I just copied everything to the fat32 partition, and BOOM. That is all I need, nothing needs to be modified.

thanks

PS:

I was never able to install it on to primary drive. the primary drive is a NVME with windows 10. It does not detect the new boot partition and goes straight to windows during booting, regardless whether using windows boot manager or boot from the drive itself.
any idea?
Attachments
screenshot-min (1).jpg
(142.85 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
Last edited by tigs on Wed 23 May 2018, 03:51, edited 1 time in total.

disciple

Re: re audacious skins

#744 Post by disciple »

disciple wrote:Hi Barry,
Regarding the audacious skins: audacious of course has several different interfaces which are built as plugins so they can be selected at runtime rather than needing a recompile.
The skinned interface uses old Winamp skins and is not the same as the (fantastic) default gtk2 interface. It might just be that you need to enable the plugin.
And perhaps disable the gtk plugin?
I can't say I've used the skins ui since the plain gtk ui was introduced.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Cu Chulinux

#745 Post by Cu Chulinux »

Barry, one program that I miss in Easy is Midnight Commander. Being old school I tend to do more from console than from graphic window for file management and I've always used mc in the past.

I even went so far as installing pkgsrc in Easy to get it. Couldn't find a working pet (they all seem to be 32 bit).

That's my suggestion for additions in future.

Philh

#746 Post by Philh »

I havent managed to get audio from my speakers. Easy or Beaver.
My audio is card 1
Alsamixer is at max. Adjusting aumix the volume bar moves but instantly resets to 0.
I presume its not talking to anything.
etc/asound.conf is card 1 device 0.
I dont know if it needs an aumixrc file or what would go in it.

tigs

Re: boot drive not found

#747 Post by tigs »

tigs wrote:I am having difficulty installing onto a hard drive. The hard drive I am installing to is not a primary drive. The primary drive is a Windows 10 drive. I was able to do it for a while, but not anymore. Here was what I did and what happened:

1. I formatted the drive, created gpt partition, created the first fat32 partition of 2G, flagged it with esp and boot.

2. Created a second partition EXT4

3. copy these files and folder to the fat32 partition

4. Modified the file to reflect the Hard drive ID

5. boot from this drive

Refind load, boot menu shows, but it unable to find the boot drive: "Error, boot drive not found". after repeated scanning including the drive where i put those files.

I have tried other distros with no problem at all, for example TENS, formerly LPS. in this case it is very easy, I just copied everything to the fat32 partition, and BOOM. That is all I need, nothing needs to be modified.

thanks

PS:

I was never able to install it on to primary drive. the primary drive is a NVME with windows 10. It does not detect the new boot partition and goes straight to windows during booting, regardless whether using windows boot manager or boot from the drive itself.
any idea?
I think I finally figured out where the problem is. If I boot the computer using version 0.9 and do all the above operation under version within version 0.9, everything is okay. So, might be something in the version update has changed.

Hope this helps other people.

Cu Chulinux

#748 Post by Cu Chulinux »

tigs, can you update 0.9 to 0.91 after installing? I did that without any issues. I didn't do a fresh install so I didn't encounter any problems like you did.

Also, from what I've read some Win 10 installations will not recognize other "foreign" primary HD boot partitions. I believe my laptop mfr (Toshiba) is one of the guilty party. I got around that in a bit of a convoluted way. I had been using Lick to install puppies in my Win 10 partition (disabling quickboot in Win) before discovering Easy. Now the Lick (Grub4DOS) boot menu has a line to boot my second fat32 boot partition with Easy on it.

scsijon

#749 Post by scsijon »

Cu Chulinux wrote:tigs, can you update 0.9 to 0.91 after installing? I did that without any issues. I didn't do a fresh install so I didn't encounter any problems like you did.

Also, from what I've read some Win 10 installations will not recognize other "foreign" primary HD boot partitions. I believe my laptop mfr (Toshiba) is one of the guilty party. I got around that in a bit of a convoluted way. I had been using Lick to install puppies in my Win 10 partition (disabling quickboot in Win) before discovering Easy. Now the Lick (Grub4DOS) boot menu has a line to boot my second fat32 boot partition with Easy on it.
That would be windows 10 S and "it's new security settings". Don't know if it's been 'retro-fitted yet, but expect it will be out soon if it's not already.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#750 Post by BarryK »

Here it is, Easy Pyro 0.9.3 (64-bit)!

Blog announcement:

http://bkhome.org/news/201805/easy-pyro ... eased.html

Using it now, runs real nice. I really have "gone to town", throwing in apps to cover just about every possible user requirement.

Getting a bit too big though. I think around 400MB is ok, will attempt to bring it closer to that next time.

Oh yes, SeaMonkey has been bumped, now 2.49.3.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Billtoo

EasyOS Pyro 0.9.3 (May 26)

#751 Post by Billtoo »

I installed to a 16gb SDHC card:

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Fri 25 May 2018 on Easy Pyro64 0.9.3 Linux 4.14.41 x86_64
0.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Oland [Radeon HD 8570 / R7 240/340 OEM]
oem: AMD ATOMBIOS
product: OLAND 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: radeon
X.Org version: 1.19.1
dimensions: 3840x1080 pixels (1013x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 17.0.7

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz
Core 0: @1991 1: @1586 MHz

I added some pets, mc,lxterminal,dosbox, and others.
Audacious and Scribus seem to be working.

That's it so far,
Thanks.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(60.77 KiB) Downloaded 773 times

Cu Chulinux

#752 Post by Cu Chulinux »

Billtoo, which mc pet are you using?

Billtoo

#753 Post by Billtoo »

Cu Chulinux wrote:Billtoo, which mc pet are you using?
Hi,

I compiled and made a pet of mc-4.8.2 a few releases ago ( 0.9.0 ) I
think.
I also needed to compile slang-2.3.2, I think I got the source for that
at BLFS, also the commands to compile it.
My pet makes a desktop entry and runs mc from lxterminal, I compiled
lxterminal 0.3.0 and vte-0.28.2, I may have done them at BLFS as well
(forget)

You'll just need the mc-482 source from their website and slang-2.3.2
from BLFS to run mc after exiting to the prompt.

3 out of the 4 pets that I made are too large to upload to the forum,
sorry.
Attachments
mc.jpg
(144.06 KiB) Downloaded 716 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#754 Post by BarryK »

Billtoo wrote:
Cu Chulinux wrote:Billtoo, which mc pet are you using?
Hi,

I compiled and made a pet of mc-4.8.2 a few releases ago ( 0.9.0 ) I
think.
I also needed to compile slang-2.3.2, I think I got the source for that
at BLFS, also the commands to compile it.
My pet makes a desktop entry and runs mc from lxterminal, I compiled
lxterminal 0.3.0 and vte-0.28.2, I may have done them at BLFS as well
(forget)

You'll just need the mc-482 source from their website and slang-2.3.2
from BLFS to run mc after exiting to the prompt.

3 out of the 4 pets that I made are too large to upload to the forum,
sorry.
Note that vte is already in Easy, required by sakura.

vte is version 0.28.2. Once the devx sfs is loaded, you will be good to go to compile with vte.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#755 Post by BarryK »

I compiled mc, linked with ncurses instead of slang. It crashes if try to resize the window.

I will compile with slang, see if that improves it.

Intend to create PET.

EDIT:
Compiled with slang, when resize the window (draggng edges with mouse), it is more stable, but can still crash.

Then I remembered, I have had a problem with urxvt crashing before, the solution then was to use sakura.

So, using the mc compiled with ncurses, running in sakura terminal, completely stable.

Here is the pet, all deps are already in Easy:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/amd64/ ... pyro64.pet

For anyone who is interested, this is how it was configured:

Code: Select all

# ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --disable-static --disable-aspell --disable-doxygen-doc --with-screen=ncurses --with-pcre --without-gpm-mouse --with-homedir=/mnt/wkg/home --disable-background --enable-charset
There is an entry in the Filesystem menu to run it.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#756 Post by BarryK »

I have compiled lxterminal. All deps already builtin to Easy.

The PET:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/amd64/ ... pyro64.pet

You will find it in the Utility menu.

Billtoo

EasyOS Pyro 0.9.3 (May 26)

#757 Post by Billtoo »

Has anyone who uses a pc with Nvidia graphics card been able to get to the desktop?

The only way I've managed to get to the desktop on my nvidia is to use the vesa driver.

Computers with intel or amd graphics cards work fine, not so with nvidia.

Sage

#758 Post by Sage »

Has anyone who uses a pc with Nvidia graphics card been able to get to the desktop?
Not necessarily directly, but yes with vesa and occasionally with other combos, but never reliably- highly HW dependant, rarely repeatable. Let's see what other folks have found...

tigs

#759 Post by tigs »

Cu Chulinux wrote:tigs, can you update 0.9 to 0.91 after installing? I did that without any issues. I didn't do a fresh install so I didn't encounter any problems like you did.

sorry for the late reply.

I did not try to update. What I was trying to do was to have the 0.9.2 installed either on a second hard drive or on the windows drive fresh. I was able to do this without any issues with 0.9, but not with 0.9.2. However, if i use a 0.9 USB key to boot up and install the 0.9.2 onto the hard drive, either primary or secondary, I have no problem.

BUT, I can not install it on a nvme primary windows drive. the new EFI boot menu does not appear on the boot menu as it on an SSD drive.

once installed using a 0.9 USB key, the 0.9.2 boot nicely with no issue at all. I just can not install it using a 0.9.2 USB key to boot.

I have never tried 0.9.1.

0.9.3 does not recognize my nvidia K2200 card, but it does the M1200 mobile card with no problem.

the 0.9 and 0.9.2 recognize nvidia K2200 with no problem.

tigs

Re: EasyOS Pyro 0.9.3 (May 26)

#760 Post by tigs »

Billtoo wrote:Has anyone who uses a pc with Nvidia graphics card been able to get to the desktop?
The nvidia issue has been inconsistent. some version of easyOS recognize, some dont. Even if they do, they done recognize all cards. Here is my results with some versions of easyOS:

0.9 recognizes both K2200 and M1200
0.9.2 recognizes both K2200 and M1200
0.9.3 recognizes M1200, but not K2200 ( I have throughly tried all the options in xorgwizard, reboot once I made switches)