BionicDog (updated: 2018-06-04)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
irishrm

#181 Post by irishrm »

fredx181 waited ten minutes so the screensaver seems to be disabled ok. I'll double check later.
Just one other thing if I run the script to disable the screensaver at startup then It will be disabled permanently which wouldn't be a good idea. It would be better to just disable it when needed.
Thanks to yourself and rcrsn51 for sorting me out.
irishrm

fredx181

#182 Post by fredx181 »

For who is having problems booting with the included kernel in BionicDog, here's older kernel (from Xenial, latest release: linux-image-4.4.0-124-generic).
Just extract the archive in the "casper" directory (see also Readme-kernel-4.4.0-124.txt) and (re)boot Bionicdog.
For a frugal install only.

32-bit:
https://fredx181.github.io/bionicdog/Pa ... 86/Kernel/
64-bit:
https://fredx181.github.io/bionicdog/Pa ... 64/Kernel/

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Wed 16 May 2018, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

Re: PeasyWifi - WEP

#183 Post by rcrsn51 »

mikeslr wrote:Got distracted by other, more pressing questions. Good to know the problem is me. It will be awhile before I get to it. I'm leaving for a two week trip on Wednesday. You may have to remind me when I get back.
I'm satisfied with my own testing.

ITSMERSH

#184 Post by ITSMERSH »

fredx181 wrote:To make vlc run as root, this works (it's a hack of course, and has to be done again if you possibly upgrade vlc in the future):

Code: Select all

sed -i 's/geteuid/getppid/' /usr/bin/vlc
This seem to work pretty well.

wiak

cast2chrome ver 0.0.2 released

#185 Post by wiak »

Hi Fred,

I 'completed' version 0.0.2 of my cast2chrome program, which will hopefully prove stable. Developed it in XenialDog64 but is architecture independent and will work in Bionic. Latest post and info about ver 0.0.2 in link below (download includes debs and pets):

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 902#992902

Main change is that this version allows the user to not only play local and internet media (such as youtube) on their chromecast dongle enabled TV but will also (optionally) save the youtube videos as they play.

wiak

fredx181

#186 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks wiak,

Added cast2chrome and stream2chromecast to custom repos (Xenial, Bionic, Stretch (I assume it works for Stretch also))

Install cast2chrome with synaptic or from terminal using apt-get:

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get install cast2chrome
Fred

stemsee

#187 Post by stemsee »

I downloaded and frugally installed bionicdog, but the repository keys are incorrect. Also git is not in the devx.

Why does this always happen to me?

The screen sot happened for most of the repos!
Attachments
2018-05-24-153313_518x936_scrot.png
(159.75 KiB) Downloaded 1213 times

rcrsn51

#188 Post by rcrsn51 »

stemsee wrote:Why does this always happen to me?
It works for me. Are you sure you had a live network connection?

[Edit] It looks like you have a different problem.

fredx181

#189 Post by fredx181 »

stemsee wrote:I downloaded and frugally installed bionicdog, but the repository keys are incorrect. Also git is not in the devx.

Why does this always happen to me?
Always ?
Sorry, I can't understand why this happens to you, I've never seen that (all repositories not recognized as secure is very strange)
Could it be that you have a conflict with another "casper" folder on some partition ?
Otherwise I have no idea what can be wrong.

EDIT: What happens when you try to reload again ?
(sometimes such problem may be a temporarily thing)
Fred

zagreb999

#190 Post by zagreb999 »

stemsee,
for me it works great...
regards...

stemsee

#191 Post by stemsee »

This was the 32bit iso ... I had a web browser running and tried different websites ... dns is 9.9.9.9 ...

I will start again and report back!

wiak

#192 Post by wiak »

Hi Fred,

I'm frustrated that we need to run bash as the system shell for so many of our Puppy-like bash/gtkdialog programs to work. i.e. the problem with dash not able to see bash exported functions (export -f).

I identified the problem in gtkdialog source code: that it uses C 'system' calls to run commands, which means that it uses /bin/sh -c "command_string" which won't see bash exported functions when system shell is, for example, dash.

I noted that YAD --button doesn't have this issue since you can simply use bash -c "command_string" with that. But that doesn't work with gtkdialog calls (because of that C system call mechanism employed in gtkdialog).

In Programming Thread, I thus suggested improving gtkdialog such that bash -c "command_string" syntax will work even when underlying system shell is dash (we really need this fixed IMO).

step (of FatDog) suggested a very nice workaround to replace using export -f in our bash code. If gtkdialog source code isn't altered then the work around looks like something we should all consider for future portability of our bash/gtkdialog code:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 024#993024

However, since YAD --button has no problem handling bash -c "command_string" syntax, I really think gtkdialog should adopt the same strategy because then it will be a very muchs simpler matter to update our existing bash/gtkdialog scripts to also work with dash underneath. I have thus checked YAD source code to see how it does it, and it's simple as far as I see it to make future versions of gtkdialog do the same...:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 106#993106

As my above linked post explains, the key difference is that YAD uses 'cleverer' g-spawn-command-line-async() function from glib, instead of the simple C system() function call employed by gtkdialog to run commands. As far as I know, at quick glance, it is only one line in gtkdialog.c code that needs fixed to use the other function instead.

Were I not currently somewhat invalided (in pain and can't concentrate or work for long), I'd just DO IT, but in the circumstances I'm hoping someone else will implement my above simple proposal.

Maybe Dog developers will be interested if no-one else steps forward?

It would really be great if simple mod to our existing apps would allow them to be used in pristine Debian/Ubuntu (i.e. with /bin/sh -> dash).

wiak

rcrsn51

#193 Post by rcrsn51 »

...even when underlying system shell is dash
Where is this occurring?

I don't understand. How does changing the code in Fred's version of gtkdialog allow our gtkdialog apps to be run on another OS that uses dash?

fredx181

#194 Post by fredx181 »

Hi wiak,

I've read about it (for the most) in the programming thread, but, excuse me, still don't understand exactly, so let me ask:

Suppose you manage to compile gtkdialog the way you describe, do all the scripts using gtkdialog including "export -f" work without modifying (when changing sh symlink to dash or busybox) ?
Or do they all need addition of (step's) workaround ?
EDIT: After reading better, I think I understand that a simple mod to existing scripts is required. Then that would mean a lot of work to be done to change all the scripts and rebuild the packages. :roll:
But don't get me wrong, I'd love to have it like standard Debian with sh > dash, maybe you remember I've tried in the past by using "switchsh", but didn't work out.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 995#924995

Btw (different subject, but not to forget), there could easily occur other problems when sh is symlink to dash, hopefully only sometimes:
How it is now (sh > bash) it doesn't matter if there's #!/bin/sh or #!/bin/bash on top of script.
If #!/bin/sh is on top and it contains bashisms it works ok since sh > bash. But in case of sh > dash, it doesn't work.
So in case of changing sh > dash in the system, all scripts with #!/bin/sh ot top need to be checked for bashisms (and if there are, changed to #!/bin/bash on top).

Fred

wiak

#195 Post by wiak »

Yes, it would always become important to check that scripts with #!/bin/sh at the top did not contain bashisms. Yes, if it had worked (which it hasn't for me) only simple mod of putting bash -c before each function call would have worked (as is done with YAD --buttons).

step's program pattern works with current gtkdialog since it avoids the export -f issue altogether. In the circumstances I plan to adopt his idea or something similar for my next version of cast2chrome (though don't know when I'll get round to that). I really recommend that we all try to use a code pattern like that in future app writing if only so these apps would then be portable to pure Debian etc using dash as /bin/sh, but depends if the programmer can be bothered I suppose (though really step's idea is simple to implement).

Yes, I remember your struggles trying to address the dash issues via that switch script. It partly worked as far as I remember, but had unwanted other side-effects that resulted in you rejecting it.

I do wish gtkdialog behaved same way as yad in this bash -c exported functions situation, but it doesn't.

wiak

wiak

#196 Post by wiak »

rcrsn51 wrote:
...even when underlying system shell is dash
Where is this occurring?

I don't understand. How does changing the code in Fred's version of gtkdialog allow our gtkdialog apps to be run on another OS that uses dash?
As I said, I was referring to:
the problem with dash not able to see bash exported functions (export -f).
Put more simply, if you use dpkg-reconfigure dash and accept the system shell as dash, many of our bash/gtkdialog programs will no longer work, despite the bash scripts themselves having heading #!/bin/bash. gtkdialog always uses the system shell when function calls are made from it and system shell dash can't see bash exported functions.

wiak

rcrsn51

#197 Post by rcrsn51 »

So this change is to accommodate people who are using one of Fred's projects, but want to switch from bash to dash?

wiak

#198 Post by wiak »

rcrsn51 wrote:So this change is to accommodate people who are using one of Fred's projects, but want to switch from bash to dash?
No, there is no change required by anyone. If I had managed to modify gtkdialog it would certainly have been easier to modify existing programs to also work if underlying system shell was dash (but main script still with #!/bin/bash as first line). However, that wouldn't have changed operation of existing scripts at all; I didn't manage to get my desired change to work anyway. The other thing Fred is talking about is workarounds that do work - in particular the programming pattern proposed by step in Programming Thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 139#993139

As things stand, none of your peasy programs, for example, would work on a system that had /bin/sh as a link to dash (for example typical Debian system) despite your main script first line being #!/bin/bash. Same with most of my own bash/gtkdialog programs, which I would like to change since I would like my own programs to be more portable (so can use on Ubuntu and Debian systems without dpkg-reconfigure dash first).

None of this effects or would effect anyone who wished to keep bash as their system shell. Nor was I asking Fred to modify anything in the Dogs (that's up to him if he would like it to all work with dash, which would be a lot of effort).

wiak

rcrsn51

#199 Post by rcrsn51 »

I understand the issue. I was involved in the discussion when it arose several years ago.

But gtkdialog is a mission-critical piece of software. Before people start tinkering with it, I would like to understand the rationale.
I didn't manage to get my desired change to work anyway.
So patching the gtkdialog binary is now off the table?

wiak

#200 Post by wiak »

rcrsn51 wrote:I understand the issue. I was involved in the discussion when it arose several years ago.

But gtkdialog is a mission-critical piece of software. Before people start tinkering with it, I would like to understand the rationale.
I didn't manage to get my desired change to work anyway.
So patching the gtkdialog binary is now off the table?
I doubt if it was ever on the table for most people. I was just wanting a patched version for my own interest really and still do, if only to understand why gtkdialog doesn't accept bash -c "commandstring" (in <action> tags) as way of 'seeing' the export -f bash functions, when /bin/sh is dash, whereas YAD does use bash -c in that way for its --button commands, which seems a lot better to me. Of course, were an improvement possible to gtkdialog without upsetting the apple cart more generally that would surely be good. I remember BarryK didn't seem to trust Thunor's first attempts to mod gtkdialog, but that is all water under the bridge now.

wiak