TazPuppy 5.0 rc2

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
s243a

#201 Post by s243a »

hmmm..even the version of dexX from Slacko 5.7.0 might be too new. I'm getting this error:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/xgettext: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLOBC_2.15` not found (required by /usr/lib/libgettextlib-0.18.1.so)
/usr/bin/msgfmt: /lib/libc.so.6 version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by /usr/lib/libexttextlib-0.18.1.so
Ironically the package manager has a newer version of gettext. I suppose it must have been compiled against an older version of glibc.

Edit: installing gettext from the package manger fixed this issue. I also installed the perl version.

s243a

#202 Post by s243a »

Marv wrote:@mistfire, I'm working on suspend. Alpha 7 goes into sleep/suspend correctly and wakes correctly, no dmesg errors but on re-awaking, I'd like to shut down X and be at the taz login screen. Commands (not GUI) to try to do that? The process is enough different than pups run from root where a restartwm at most is needed (depending on WM) to get key/touchpad/flsynclient settings back so any suggestions would be welcome. I'm comfortable with the acpi setup in slitaz at this point.
Maybe add

XKBOPTIONS="terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
to

/etc/default/keyboard
https://askubuntu.com/questions/367983/ ... e-x-server

My google search was:

x symbol mappings control-alt-backspace
Perhaps unrelated config stuff that I want to remember inputrc, and inittab. cntrlaltdel seems to be in the latter for tahrpup.

mistfire

#203 Post by mistfire »

@Marv if you want to exit X on slitaz just do type this command and press enter

/etc/init.d/slim stop

mistfire

#204 Post by mistfire »

I made a tazpup using slitaz-core-rolling and slacko 6.3.2 with my tazpup builder .It finally works!

rg66

#205 Post by rg66 »

mistfire wrote:I made a tazpup using slitaz-core-rolling and slacko 6.3.2 with my tazpup builder .It finally works!
Excellent! Where is the download link?
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Marv

#206 Post by Marv »

mistfire wrote:@Marv if you want to exit X on slitaz just do type this command and press enter

/etc/init.d/slim stop
Thanks, inching closer to a clean wakeup.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

mistfire

#207 Post by mistfire »

@rg66 to be uploaded very soon. Its requires to use slitaz-rolling-core live cd

darry19662018

Save File Backup

#208 Post by darry19662018 »

Just made tazpkg of rcrsn51's Puppy Linux save foider back up tool.

Thank you rcrsn51 it works well if run as root in Tazpup. Rename without the .gz.

Original thread: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=110090
Attachments
SaveFolderBackup-1.2.tazpkg.gz
(3.71 KiB) Downloaded 87 times

peebee

#209 Post by peebee »

smokey01 wrote:....but woof-ce fails to build the kernel sources.
Hi smokey

The woof-ce kernel-kit builds the kernel sources .sfs for me no problem - it ends up in output....
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(106.11 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

s243a

#210 Post by s243a »

I noticed that the packages once installed are being stored in:

/var/cache/tazpkg/5.0/packages
I also see that one can find the file list for installed packages in

/var/lib/tazpkg/installed
this might be helpful info for someone.

smokey01

#211 Post by smokey01 »

peebee wrote:
smokey01 wrote:....but woof-ce fails to build the kernel sources.
Hi smokey

The woof-ce kernel-kit builds the kernel sources .sfs for me no problem - it ends up in output....
What was your build/source distro?

peebee

#212 Post by peebee »

smokey01 wrote:What was your build/source distro?
For that particular 64-bit build - LxPupSc64-18.03
but I also do 32-bit builds with other systems and have not had any problems with kernel sources.....do you get the kernel_sources directory in the kernel-kit directory (same location as output)?
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

s243a

#213 Post by s243a »

Edit The below issue was solved. See bottom of post
After doing a whole bunch of installs which included upgrading glibc from the package manager and installing a version of avachi that I built I get from my boot.log

Show floppy drive icon for tux...n:syslogd...
Processing files for desktop enviornment for avahi...
Pupsave is loaded in flash disk. Show save to flah icon....
Show floppy drive incon for avahi...opts.sh^[[0;39m
Processing files for desktop environment for aahi...
Pupsave is loaded in flash disk. Show save to flash icon...
Show floppy drive icon for aahi...US
^[[1;36mStart X enviornment...^[[0;39m
^[[0;33mStarting message bus daemon: DBUS
/usr/sbin/fixmens: line 58: jwm-xdgmenu: command not found_US)
/usr/sbin/fixmens: line 58: jwm-xdgmenu: command not found[0;39m ]
/usr/sbin/fixmens: line 58: jwm-xdgmenu: command not found)
/usr/sbin/fixmens: line 58: jwm-xdgmenu: command not found[[0;39m ]
/usr/sbin/fixmens: line 58: jwm-xdgmenu: command not foundDone^[[0;39m ]

Setting up swapspace version 1, size 61504512 bytes

zram startdm: error while loading shared libaries libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Not sure why I have a user called aahi, not sure why user avahi has a desktop environment. I created user avahi as follows:

addgroup -g 214 avahi

adduser -G avahi -u 214 -S avahi
anyway, this were the messages after booting. I created a savefile on the prior shutdown.

If I look in either /etc/passwd or /etc/group, I see no user called aahi.

Apparently there is a home directory for aahi. I must of mistyped when I added a user, and the deluser seems to have not deleted the home directory. It seems that this home directory is getting populated with jwm stuff. Maybe from /etc/profile?

I notice that this mystery user has a boot.log file in the home directory.

Prior to all the jwm wierdness the following two scripts are called:

/etc/init.d/bootopts.sh
/etc/init.d/system.sh
oh, this is just a symbolic link to the main boot.log

Edit I fixed the issue as follows:

ldconfig
slim start
Last edited by s243a on Mon 21 May 2018, 22:46, edited 6 times in total.

s243a

#214 Post by s243a »

I'm having issues with nano and vi. It might be my fault (not sure).

When I scroll Nano is not blanking out the space at the end of the line.

the escape key of vi isn't working so I can't do basic things like "exit vi"!

Are are there any other command line editors built into tazpup, incase I get stuck in text mode again.?

Edit: Figured out how to start x from another post and want to remember this post for reference.

Marv

#215 Post by Marv »

I have lidsuspend and sleep (from logout dialog box button) working on my i5 laptop. Both work from Tux or root and resume to the GUI login screen. mistfire can probably clean up the permissions and any changes I made are tagged with a #Marvmod and written for clarity, not compactness. In each case I used the relevant files already in taz and made minimal changes. In no particular order:
I sudoed line 887 in tazbox to get sleep working both in Tux and root.

I added one line to /sbin/sleep.sh to kill the Xorg server and leave things at the login GUI. In a fair number :wink: of trials/reboots, killing Xorg but keeping X left me with all processes still running whereas with slim stop/start I always lost some so...
There is also included a truly minimal/radical /sbin/sleep.sh_Marv script. Would NEVER have worked with older kernels but does here. One of the Mikes and I went pretty far in that direction in another pup with only some drive mount point name issues IIRC. Definitely a use-at-your-own-risk thing.

With the older acpi structure in tazpup, /etc/acpi/acpi_handler.sh needed some true debouncing wrt lid closed/open as well as the Xorg close to GUI login. It should be pretty self explanatory. It was the active handler so I started from there. Attached as a tar.gz.

Cobble away or toss. I'm happy to have both saves and suspends working in tazpup at this point though my head is still 'rooted' after a lot of pupyears.
Attachments
suspendwork.tar.gz
tazpup lid suspend & sleep work. bashism removed from handler 5/28/2018
(10.19 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Last edited by Marv on Mon 28 May 2018, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

mistfire

#216 Post by mistfire »

@Marv if Xorg was killed then the gui applications also killed too. For example, if you are typing documents in libreoffice then suspend (by closing the lid) in the middle of your work for unexpected reasons and you forgot to save then your work was lost.

Fortunately tazbox and subox is one of the slitaz packages which was designated to locked in tazpkg so we can freely modified it and also it doesn't change during upon upgrade.

Marv

#217 Post by Marv »

mistfire wrote:@Marv if Xorg was killed then the gui applications also killed too. For example, if you are typing documents in libreoffice then suspend (by closing the lid) in the middle of your work for unexpected reasons and you forgot to save then your work was lost.

Fortunately tazbox and subox is one of the slitaz packages which was designated to locked in tazpkg so we can freely modified it and also it doesn't change during upon upgrade.
Yes, I know killing Xorg kills apps. Some window managers in pups with newer kernels no longer require this on resume. The whole suspend/resume thing is a pretty complicated dance of hardware, WM, and kernel. It's gotten much better over time but still is far from perfect or uniform over the hardware universe. All of peebees current LXDE pups happily resume exactly where they were when they slept. The most recent XFCE4 pups I've worked on still require require a restartWM to get touchpad and key mappings back. I haven't run upupbb in a while but I don't see my custom handler in the savefile for it so the JWM/kernel combo in that must resume cleanly.

Without restarting Xorg at least, taz is pretty much unusable when it resumes, at least on my mainline i5 laptop. Wish it weren't so but... So, as I said, cobble or toss :) Any of the lines where I kill Xorg could easily be commented out or replaced with slim stop & start of course to experiment.
Last edited by Marv on Tue 22 May 2018, 01:40, edited 1 time in total.

mistfire

#218 Post by mistfire »

@Marv ok I will check on that sleep and resume problem. By the way the sleep was part of slitaz slide. We must avoid modifying the slitaz side too much. I order to use its repo and package management nicely.

By the way there is a laptop mode on kernel system settings. I wonder how is this works?

Marv

#219 Post by Marv »

mistfire wrote:@Marv ok I will check on that sleep and resume problem. By the way the sleep was part of slitaz slide. We must avoid modifying the slitaz side too much. I order to use its repo and package management nicely.

By the way there is a laptop mode on kernel system settings. I wonder how is this works?
I don't know what it does. Now that I have the acpi handler debounced, I'll replace the pm-utils suspend with a direct write to /sys/power/state and test. I was juggling a lot of stuff at once in that handler and wanted to keep changes minimal. Are PM-Utils part of the core Slitaz or were they added?

smokey01

#220 Post by smokey01 »

peebee wrote:
smokey01 wrote:What was your build/source distro?
For that particular 64-bit build - LxPupSc64-18.03
but I also do 32-bit builds with other systems and have not had any problems with kernel sources.....do you get the kernel_sources directory in the kernel-kit directory (same location as output)?
I do get the kernel_sources directory in output but it falls over during the squashing with xz so the sfs fails to build. Quite strange really.

All of my failures were built on an Ext4 partitions. Last night I tried an Ext3 partition and had success. Maybe it's the file system?