Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 22 Aug 2018, 00:18
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Music2go-Artful
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 3 [35 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Smithy

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar 2018, 04:27    Post subject:  Music2go-Artful
Subject description: A take on Peebee's Artful Ardvark

Hello, there are three things that I may never completely understand.
1. JWM
2. Puppy File associations and the relationship between rox.sourceforge.net, etc xdg rox.sourceforge.net
usr/local/apps, usr/local/bin and any other places related!

So in relation to numbers one and two, here is my take on Peebee’s Artful Pup.

Desktop is Openbox. The tint2 panel has a really easy editor, so you can autohide the tray, resize it to suit, adjust transparency with a suitable compositor (uh cpu cycles) and put your applications on the tray that you use a lot.

Five good wallpapers in from puppy members past and present.
The menu has been gone through to reduce the clutter and remove duplicates.
Fixed up a lot of the mime icons. Some escape me due to point 2.
The fdrv and ydrv drivers are incorporated in the main sfs.
Hard Info shows sensors and graphics.
Xmplay is handling audio wavs, mp3 and midi. Gnome-mplayer for .wma if you come across those.
Focuswriter experimental as rtf word processor, with Abiword in the background to handle .doc, docx. Focuswriter “puppified” a bit so it is only three clicks to actually change the font and size of font (just click on the pallette icon in the toolbar).
A little gimp to supplement mtpaint, for those times when mtpaint won’t cut it.
And there’s a “badly behaved application monitor” on the taskbar, which is in fact gatotray.
This will show up what’s going on with cpu activity, input/ output wait state, freezes, overloads etc. BBAM.

It’s been stripped down a bit for clarity, so you may have to put your samba, yad and stuff like that back in, but it prints, you can write a letter to your gran to thank her for the easter eggs and put some graphics/ text on a poster.

I noticed that in Artful generally, when you put a dvd or cd in, it takes ages to come up on the desktop, but I think Barry and others were optimising those bits of code. The new puppies seem a bit “sleepy” on a couple of things, but it could be that they are optimised for the latest processors maybe?
It would be good to be able to drop in the optimised etc, var scripts at some point and I think Musher had something to stop it being so chatty on errors logs which he mentions is an Ubuntu thing.
What I think would be good, would be able to drop in replacement Adrvs (if that is established as the browser drive) and also a couple of replacement vmlinux and zdrv and initrd.gz, of an earlier vintage kernel 3x, 2x, so that older machines will run ok on the newer puppies without faffing around. This one won’t boot on an old atom, but if I shove an earlier kernel in, it boots fine.

As ever, Long Live The Pup! And congrats to whoever is tweaking the graphics on the new puppies, they are now exceeding windows 7 on the crisp fonts and general look, at least on my machines. And thanks to Peebee and Radky for lighting the pathway on how the new pups are put together. If you find anything busted on it, take it to home depot or kwikfit or better still fix it ur sen Smile

http://smokey01.com/Smithy/Artful%20ardvark/music2go-artful.iso

Last edited by Smithy on Thu 03 May 2018, 04:39; edited 1 time in total
ally

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar 2018, 06:44    Post subject:  

mirrored here: http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_Artfulpup

Smile
Smithy

PostPosted: Sat 07 Apr 2018, 05:37    Post subject:  

Thanks for putting it up on archive Ally.
This is Audacity.
I am putting it up because the puppy package manager is bringing up missing files for the application.
I've tweaked a couple of things like the plus and minus keys for zoom in and out. Not looked at Audacity for a while and there are some improvements.

I think it will only work with the above ISO, it might work with other puppies, but I haven't tested.
Anyways seems sweet.

http://smokey01.com/Smithy/Artful%20ardvark/audacity-2.1.2-2-artful.pet
audacity-screeny.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  audacity-screeny.png 
Filesize  131.83 KB 
Downloaded  153 Time(s) 
Smithy

PostPosted: Thu 03 May 2018, 04:35    Post subject: Focuswriter Update  

Mr Gott has updated his Focuswriter word processor application.

Changes in version 1.6.12
Released on April 12, 2018
Ignore empty cache files
Remove auto save
Translation updates: Danish, Slovenian

http://smokey01.com/Smithy/Artful%20ardvark/focuswriter-1.6.12-update-artful.pet

And: Unrelated to Focuswriter, which is a native app. Here is Gecko and Mono for Wine (If needed):
http://smokey01.com/Smithy/Artful%20ardvark/gecko-2.4.7-mono-4.6.4.pet

This will put gecko and mono in root/.cache/wine.
Then from a pristine install, if you first click on a wine app like xmplay or something in the wine menu, it will install gecko and mono.
You can then DELETE the Wine folder in root/cache/wine to retrieve the 90mb waste. Or you can copy the msi files into wine if you have already run Wine.
Screenshot.png
 Description   
 Filesize   229.65 KB
 Viewed   936 Time(s)

Screenshot.png

Smithy

PostPosted: Wed 09 May 2018, 02:50    Post subject:  

EDIT: If you downloaded Qtractor before today, redownload it and uninstall the previous one, because plugin detection has now been fixed.

Good moaning,
I've put together a musicians/engineering/production package for this ISO.
This comprises Qtractor audio midi sequencer recorder with integrated lin vst converter.
Cadence GUI controller for the Jack audio connection kit. This is a replacement for the usual qjackctl GUI.
A few commonly used effects like reverb, delay, phaser, compressor, flanger, eq and master limiter.
These are old but good Kajerhaus bread and butter fx.

I've done two versions of Cadence by Falk TX, one is a mini version that just contains the useful control panel for Jack2. 20mb
Cadence full version contains extra tools for rendering and patching and using x y mouse i.e complex setups. 54mb

Qtractor is a good application, it's like Audacity on steroids.

HOWTO:
Install either Cadence-mini or Cadence full, depending on requirements (not both).
http://www.smokey01.com/Smithy/Artful%20ardvark/Cadence-mini.pet
http://www.smokey01.com/Smithy/Artful%20ardvark/Cadence-full.pet

Install Jack2 Artful.
http://www.smokey01.com/Smithy/Artful%20ardvark/jack2-artful.pet

Install Qtractor.
http://www.smokey01.com/Smithy/Artful%20ardvark/qtractor-0.8.4.1.1-artful.pet

1.Click on Jack Control in Multimedia menu and setup your sound card (alsa panel in Cadence).

2.Start Qtractor, there is a Default qtz file which you can open in root/Qtractor.
That has some audio and midi tracks ready to go. Or you can just start fresh and add track/s from the menu.

3.Start Qtractor again and click on track properties/ plugins/add.
It might take a short while to initially scan for fx plugins in root/vst.

Once your setup is established with your particular machine it should be rock solid.

A note about Lin-VST in the multimedia menu.
Basically you throw VST intrument.fx dlls that you like into root/vst.
Then start LIN VST, find the renderer linvst.so in usr/bin, find the dll (root/vst) folder, then convert.
This will convert and add *.so files so that the plugins will load in a linuxish compatible format.
Some will work very well, but some plugins may be just too complex to handle. Junk them for less pain.
There are of course LADSPA, LV2 and other plugin formats available from erm..where. Invada Calf springs to mind.

If you are new to Qtractor, Cadence, Jack and Lin VST it might be an idea to read up on this software a bit,
but it is fairly intuitive.

3.a A few screenies to show what the hell is going on.
root-vst-folder.png
 Description   
 Filesize   30.43 KB
 Viewed   819 Time(s)

root-vst-folder.png

scan-for3.png
 Description   
 Filesize   36.93 KB
 Viewed   819 Time(s)

scan-for3.png

scan-for2.png
 Description   
 Filesize   11.56 KB
 Viewed   818 Time(s)

scan-for2.png

qtractor-scan-for-plugins1.png
 Description   
 Filesize   20.53 KB
 Viewed   819 Time(s)

qtractor-scan-for-plugins1.png

plugins2.png
 Description   
 Filesize   183.45 KB
 Viewed   820 Time(s)

plugins2.png

plugins.png
 Description   
 Filesize   112.2 KB
 Viewed   821 Time(s)

plugins.png

jack setup 2.png
 Description   
 Filesize   71.85 KB
 Viewed   817 Time(s)

jack setup 2.png

jack setup.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  jack setup.png 
Filesize  70.41 KB 
Downloaded  82 Time(s) 
ITSMERSH

PostPosted: Thu 10 May 2018, 10:58    Post subject:  

Hi Smithy.

Regarding this topic, I'm asking myself, why is this here OS called/named Music2Go, if there's no additional programs installed for doing some music?

To just to listen to music any else Puppy could be used either and therefor could be also just named Music2Go.

I'm a little confused about this, as Music2Go to me sounds like a portable OS for doing some music by preinstalled programs for doing music anywhere.

Just curious, not meant to be offended...

Smithy

PostPosted: Thu 10 May 2018, 14:50    Post subject:  

Hi RSH,
Oops, I thought Flash had deleted that thread, I couldn't find it the other day.
Makes me look like a drug pusher pushing the iso lol.
I was heartwarmed that foxpup had a decent experience with it though Smile

Yes RSH, I agree that you can use any other puppy, I happened to like Peebee's artful,
it took more effort than one would believe to get it to how it is, for my skills anyway. Especially the desktop alternative, and the possible shouts of anger at such a heretical move.
xdo tool, wtf etc. Gawd knows how Peebee didn't have a bloody breakdown lol.
Anyways that's what I called it, it could have been rabid dog, bieber pup, cynical pup, but it wasn't.

I do things gradually, no point if things are not functioning right. So the base seems ok.
Next comes the quick recording abilities. I try to put usable presets/configs whatnot to make things easier. It's only three or four pets to get it into action Smile Second base.
I will put together an ISO with the NEW/ untested bits in, yes even hydrogen and zyn, but there's no rush with puppy as far as I am concerned, they're all good.
I'm just adding a derivative to the fold.
ciento

PostPosted: Thu 10 May 2018, 19:07    Post subject:  

Nice work integrating LinVst! An occasional pet for
the latest wineHQ release would augment this nicely.
I've no idea the man-hours needed to make pets,
but they sure can come in handy. I'll try yours soon,
LinVst and the linux version of Reaper, make an excellent
pairing, with enough high quality plugins running well enough
to make decent music.
Cheers
Smithy

PostPosted: Fri 11 May 2018, 16:36    Post subject:  

Thanks ciento.
I stuck with version 2 for stability whilst testing, I think there are lots of changes with 3xx, but with version 2013 providing in house wines, this should be quite possible. Latency seems ok with this build.
Smithy

PostPosted: Sun 13 May 2018, 06:41    Post subject:  

Here's a pretty full set of plugins in LADSPA and LV2 format including the staple Calf Invada GUI ones. They should be auto detected when you go to add a plugin
on a track.

http://www.smokey01.com/Smithy/Artful%20ardvark/calf-ladspa-lv2-plugins.pet
invada2.png
 Description   
 Filesize   57.47 KB
 Viewed   635 Time(s)

invada2.png

invada.png
 Description   
 Filesize   80.88 KB
 Viewed   637 Time(s)

invada.png

Smithy

PostPosted: Sun 13 May 2018, 15:40    Post subject:  

Here is Hydrogen, a Drum/Instrument Sequencer.
Needs either one of the Cadence pets and Jack2 pets installed to work.

http://www.smokey01.com/Smithy/Artful%20ardvark/hydrogen-artful.pet
And the Drum Kits:
http://www.smokey01.com/Smithy/Artful%20ardvark/hydrogen-artful-drum-kits.pet

And ZynAddSubFX synth as vst plugin:
http://www.smokey01.com/Smithy/Artful%20ardvark/zynaddsubfx-artful-vst.pet

And stand alone version:
http://www.smokey01.com/Smithy/Artful%20ardvark/zynaddsubfx-3.0.2-1.pet
zyntest ok.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  zyntest ok.png 
Filesize  96.46 KB 
Downloaded  90 Time(s) 
hydrogen.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  hydrogen.png 
Filesize  90.08 KB 
Downloaded  92 Time(s) 
ITSMERSH

PostPosted: Fri 18 May 2018, 14:04    Post subject:  

Hi.

Downloaded Music2Go and all packages available at Smithy/Aardvark yesterday.

Booted with no save file and installed everything to check the programs working. There's just one issue with Hydrogen which is caused by Hydrogen itself, as I got this problem also in Bionic Beaver Puppy and Bionic Dog. I think it's related to the new 'auto-stop-note' in versions beyond 0.9.6. Installed 0.9.6 and everything went fine.

I had to install usb-modeswitch from Ubuntu (just like in the Bionics above) to get internet working with my USB GPRS Modem. Also had to install my pgprs package to be able to connect to the web.

Now am going to download Music Programs from Ubuntu.

Thanks for this nice work. Very Happy

By the way: there was another issue I forgot to mention. Tint2 is crashing frequently, so I replaced it with LxPanel and disabled its Menu plugin.

Smithy

PostPosted: Sat 19 May 2018, 05:03    Post subject:  

Hi RSH, thanks for the heads up on Hydrogen. I haven't noticed that problem, but will keep testing. Maybe a reversion might be a good idea.
That ZynSubAddFX has got some sub bass to it!
I can see why linux heads like it.

I've finished the final sfs, which contains all the music apps and updated focuswriter, in case anyone wants the ready to go version. 327mb.

All that needs to be done is replace the sfs from the original music2go ISO with this one:

http://www.smokey01.com/Smithy/Artful%20ardvark/Music2go-Final-sfs/puppy_artfulpup_17.11.sfs

I also successfully built a couple of replacement drop in browsers (ADRV) from Mozilla, which saves a lot of messing around. Should imagine Chrome is do-able following the same recipe. I might put those up at some point.

And also Gnome-Maps (labbe find) is pretty good, built a pet of that.

All I can think of is putting SFR cut, copy and paste to compliment rox drag and drop (or drag and LOSE as Mike B suggested Smile ).
And a bit of Mocchi Moppel's fine programming work.

And Barry K has sorted part of the 'orrible links and file associations problems, if I read this right.
http://bkhome.org/news/201805/rox-filer-right-click-open-with-menu.html
ITSMERSH

PostPosted: Sun 20 May 2018, 09:04    Post subject:  

Hi, Smithy.

Yes ZynAddSubFx is really great. It is definitely the best Software Synthesizer available for free in Linux (and of course for Windows and Mac Computers) and comes with a lots of cool sounds to use - my preferred Sounds is Overdrive 3 and Space Voice from Collection Sound Bank plus Space Guitar from Guitar Sound Bank - still discovering...

Meanwhile I made myself a Remaster of Music2Go, named it Studio2Go which has installed all the Programs mentioned in my above post plus ALSA Player (for JACK), JACK Mixer, Yoshimi, and the ZITA Tools installed. Besides this I also installed a QJackCtl package as I couldn't find a solution to connect my MIDI-Keyboard to the Software Synthesizers without the need to use QTractor. Sometimes I like to play a little without to record...

Also I made an ADRV SFS containing AmSynth, GSequencer (didn't test yet), Gtk-WaveCleaner, Nekobee, QtGain, Samplv1 and Synthv1 plus some DSSI Software Synthesizers. A few programs I downloaded didn't work like mx44, QSynth to name a few. Never mind...

My Studio2Go is about 566 MB at lowest GZ compression (422 MB at XZ compression); probably I'll upload this later (need to find a place since a check returned my Account at smokey01.com isn't active anymore).

Again, thanks for the work done! Very Happy

Code:
And Barry K has sorted part of the 'orrible links and file associations problems, if I read this right.
http://bkhome.org/news/201805/rox-filer-right-click-open-with-menu.html

Since a file is sent to the defaulttexteditor when clicking on it by holding a shift key down, years ago I started to modify the script /usr/local/bin/defaulthandler to sort out the file extensions and to sent the file to the related Program. Works pretty good for me, though, it isn't a solution for the avarage user...

ally

PostPosted: Sun 20 May 2018, 15:56    Post subject:  

@rsh

see pm

Smile
Page 1 of 3 [35 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: