Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 13 Nov 2018, 01:47
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64-720 and 721 Final [11 Jan 2018]
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 20 of 28 [418 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, ..., 26, 27, 28 Next
jake29

PostPosted: Wed 16 May 2018, 12:23    Post subject:  

step wrote:
Does the NaturalVoices program executable path end with ".exe" ? If it ends with ".EXE" you should adjust the pkill command, add "|EXE$" for good measures. My experience running SAPI4 and SAPI5 voices in real Windows XP had its issues too. IIRC sometimes the audio driver crash and hang the system. But that was Windows. Linux should be better.

Maybe it's the directory structure and this specific version of Wine. I will try installing to C:/TTS. Right now - Task Manager sees the NaturalVoices program as "C:\Program" - perhaps the spacing in "Program Files" is the issue.

I only posted because I was curious why this proved so difficult to kill. I had assumed being installed in /home/spot and using run-as-spot wine - would have given me more control over wine and certainly not allow it to behave in this way.

I will report back if I can find a solution.
FanDog

PostPosted: Wed 16 May 2018, 19:50    Post subject: reporting bugs  

reporting possible bugs:

trying to run a virtual machine under the virtualBox SFS, complains about the kernel not having the virtual box feature. (is one of the kernel sfs needed?)

I'm running FatDog720 (the sfs says 721 however)

The following is related to the AppImage topic:

Code:
# ./Stellarium-0.18.0-x86_64.AppImage
User config directory does not exist:  "/root/.stellarium"
Creating directory  "/root/.stellarium"
WARNING StelFileMgr::StelFileMgr: could not find install location: "/usr/share/stellarium"  (we checked for  "/usr/share/stellarium/data/ssystem_major.ini" ).
Maybe this is AppImage or something similar? Let's check relative path...
Segmentation fault

trying to run the astronomy app. Same problem happens if I run-as-spot.
step

PostPosted: Thu 17 May 2018, 00:41    Post subject:  

@FanDog,
The main VB download in SFS Manager is virtualbox-5.2.8.k4.14.12-x86_64-1_721.sfs. The numbers in the filename mean VB version 5.2.8 for kernel 4.14.12. This explains why that SFS can't run on Fatdog64-720, which has a different kernel version.

FanDog

PostPosted: Thu 17 May 2018, 20:19    Post subject:  

@step

Works! \o/ thanks.

I was under the impression 721 was only for Spectre and Meltdown, and some firmware (maybe one is req. for VB?). Tried pti=off and VB still works.

Sadly, reactOS still not ready to run the only old app I need which WINE whines about. :/ so still stuck with a vestigial operating system for a while here..

btw, fixing the midi problem (archlinux has a great article on troubleshooting OTTD), the version on the ibiblio repo stopped working all of a sudden (segfault just like Stellarium, even though couple days earlier it worked). Thanks to this however, I discovered the site has a much newer version.

also, the soundfonts can also be configured to be used by vlc. (In case anybody needs it) Though it would be nice if it could use the same script (from the article), for a system-wide midi playing solution.

Cheers.
FanDog

PostPosted: Fri 18 May 2018, 00:19    Post subject:  

btw, regarding both sigseg, I'm not even on a savefile. So everything *should* be pristine.
dr. Dan

PostPosted: Fri 18 May 2018, 02:27    Post subject: midi  

@FanDog, thanks for the midi efforts. I haven't yet succeeded with it. Would you post a link to the Arch site you mentioned?
Dan
dr. Dan

PostPosted: Mon 21 May 2018, 14:20    Post subject: avidemux  

@fatdog team: I decided to try Avidemux, but it wouldn't start until I added a symlink at /usr/lib64/libvpx.so.1 to /usr/lib64/libvpx.so.3.0.0
Perhaps the package could be updated, or the link incorporated into the next upgraded version.
Dan
FanDog

PostPosted: Tue 22 May 2018, 19:10    Post subject:  

@ Dan
Sure: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OpenTTD#Music_is_not_playing

configuring VLC however is much simpler. Their settings have a field for locating your soundfonts.

@ step

Long ago, in this very thread (IIRC) I raised the issue of OpenCL support. This will be worthy keeping an eye on:

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/linux-graphics-x-org-drivers/amd-linux/1025112-amd-will-continue-maintaining-multiple-compute-stacks-for-linux

Apparently amd has to get its act together, but at least the conversation with the kernel upstream seem to be finally progressing now.

to quote a comment there:
Quote:
...and run on the already open sourced version of PAL so that packagers of all distributions could finally supply decent opencl packages for all amd GPUs and ...

I used to have openCL working on the fglrx and some people seem to have luck mixing the open and closed source, even today. But this brings hope that even older cards will still be able to get openCL working properly.
dr. Dan

PostPosted: Thu 24 May 2018, 23:31    Post subject:  

@FanDog: Thank you, that link contained the info I was lacking.
dr. Dan

PostPosted: Thu 31 May 2018, 23:30    Post subject: Rosegarden  

Rosegarden from the 720 repository wants asfxload in order to play audio. Is there somewhere on this forum where it is already available? Thank you.
snayak

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jun 2018, 09:18    Post subject:  

Dear All,

Do we have FBReader for 720?
I have one pet for 611 but that is not working here.

Kindly help.

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak

http://srinivas-nayak.blogspot.com/
FanDog

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jun 2018, 15:44    Post subject:  

A little headway on the AppImage problems people are having: Tried to install FUSE on another box and the package manager insisted on the config file. After that the AppImage complained about fuse configuration as well. (more precisely "fuse setup", which could be merely that it could not load the module since I don't allow modprobing there, it even says so but could be more than that)

So perhaps each AppImage requires something in the config which FatDog64 isn't (dis)enabling?

@ snayak

If you go to the SFS manager, you'll find Calibre. Which IMHO (and probably the people who make the sfs, since it's there) is better than FBReader. It is a whole library managing application, supporting epubs, pdfs.. etc..
snayak

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jun 2018, 11:04    Post subject:  

Many thank Fan. I will surely check it.

http://srinivas-nayak.blogspot.com/
jake29

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jul 2018, 15:45    Post subject: Wine issue solved  

To follow up my previous posts regarding an issue I was having with Wine, I have now established a solution. After over a month of using Wine v2.0.1 - my problem (system became unresponsive - could not kill process) has not occurred. I conclude my issue was due to a bug within certain versions of Wine and introduced post-v2.0.1. Thanks to all those that tried to help me with this.
Anniekin

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jul 2018, 06:11    Post subject:  

anybody got a blue light filter working for fatdog?

anybody know the menu.lst entry to boot windows 10 off the first partition (0,0)?

thanks
Page 20 of 28 [418 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, ..., 26, 27, 28 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: