Which is the latest 32-bit Puppy that can save to a live CD?

Using applications, configuring, problems
tallboy

#41 Post by tallboy »

James C, thank you very much! That is exactly what I wanted to know. :D
I will try it later today, and report back.
I don't have my stack of other puppies on live CDs here, but I will go through them later and make a list of which works, and which don't.
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

hamoudoudou

Merci (for people still burning CDs, They are many)

#42 Post by hamoudoudou »

here we are... Just nobody thought about this process for Bionic.. Merci (for people still burning CDs, They are many)
Nothing to do... Hum But IMO CD model (trademark and where built) is a key for success.
Burniso2cd not in the menu But included in apps, see topic

tallboy

#43 Post by tallboy »

here we are... Just nobody thought about this process for Bionic..
hamoudoudou, I always use this process, the problem is that it haven't worked in all puppies.

tallboy

#44 Post by tallboy »

I am happy to report success with UPup Biobnic Beaver 18.05! It automatically found my network , which is cabled to/from a wifi router. And, it saves to a live multisession CD, as James C described. It definitely need a remastering, but I am very satisfied so far. :D
I don't know yet, if this pc and my other old machines like this new kernel or not, we'll see!

To those not familiar with saving to a multisession CD:
Just follow the onscreen instructions, until at the end you start the save process. Your screen will then go into terminal mode, and show some lines of blue colored text, as long as the write-to-disc process is running, something like: if this text stay on the screen for a long time, click enter.
DON'T CLICK ENTER, that will stop the save process. It takes the time it need, and the text go away when finished.
You also need to enter the setup menus to find a better place for the SAVE button, which popup in the middle of the screen after the first session save, see screenshot. :D

▶—— COMPUTER MEMORY ——◀

Personal Storage: RAM Disk
Size Used Free Use%
3.8G 279M 3.5G 8%

Memory Allocation:
Total RAM: 991 MB
Used RAM: 771 MB
Free RAM: 220 MB
Buffers: 117 MB
Cached: 526 MB
Total Swap: 6159 MB
Free Swap: 6155 MB

Actual Used RAM: 128 MB Used - (buffers + cached)
Actual Free RAM: 863 MB Free + (buffers + cached)
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(137.39 KiB) Downloaded 168 times

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#45 Post by Flash »

The best way to "remaster" a multisession CD or DVD is to burn a new CD or DVD of the same Puppy iso as the multisession Puppy you're running, using burniso2cd or Pburn, then click the Save icon on your multisession Puppy's desktop and choose to save to the CD or DVD you just burned. This will combine all the saved sessions on the old CD or DVD into one saved session on the CD or DVD you just burned. And you will still have the old multisession CD or DVD as a backup copy. I don't know how it could get any better than that. :D

tallboy

#46 Post by tallboy »

A small issue is that is gets quite large... :shock:

BTW, the Bionic Beaver wouldn't even boot on one of my old machines, so it seem the search goes on. :(

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#47 Post by Flash »

Wouldn't it be just as large if you remastered?

tallboy

#48 Post by tallboy »

No, by remastering you may add some programs, but you also remove all those you have no use for, along with their dependencies. You basically rebuild a puppy to your own likings. I see from my remastered puppies, that I tend to prefer older, simpler, smaller versions of many programs. Those that I am used to, and feel comfortable with.
It may be an age thing, but I am not fond of reading manuals for several days, just because some dude have found a flashy, new and more complicated way of doing a simple task! :lol:

mikeslr

#49 Post by mikeslr »

tallboy wrote:A small issue is that is gets quite large... :shock:

BTW, the Bionic Beaver wouldn't even boot on one of my old machines, so it seem the search goes on. :(
What gets quite large? If you're installing Bionic Beaver applications I would expect that. But you should be able to run most of your older, smaller applications built for Lucid after stripping out their larger equivalents.

About the only "things current" anyone really needs is openssl and a Web-browser.

Regarding the computer Bionic Beaver won't run on, you may have to opt for a different Puppy. That computer won't be jealous. :) And, if you set your desktops to look and act the same you probably won't know the difference. I do that and sometimes have to run PupSysInfo to find out which Puppy I booted into. :oops: :lol:

As to which other Puppy, there've been a couple of suggestions. Did any one mention Slacko 5.7.1? http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 794#976794. festus published an openssl pet. And adding Mike Walsh's gtk3 pet (id'd as precise) it can run the latest firefox. See the, as yet, short thread. I just don't know if it can Save to a multi-session CD.

Slackware's conservative update policy keeps it from competing with Ubuntu to build a Tower of Babble. The Slackware 14.0 repo remains open and by now there are Slacko pets and SFSes covering all bases.

mikesLr

hamoudoudou

i took a glance at amazon, Cd-RW and DVD-RW

#50 Post by hamoudoudou »

how to install xxxxx ? 98% of Linux world..
Save to a live CD is much more of interest.. I no longer use CDs and DVDs, however i took a glance at amazon, Cd-RW and DVD-RW
It's expensive !
Bionic upup is the last Ubuntu LTS.. Puppy version is really very fast, and no bugs (or details without importance) The fact that Bionicupup does not boot is to be posted to PeeBee. i Suppose artfulpup and zesty pup, last flavours of Xenial LTS, won't boot with tallboy's equipment..
I don't understand why so many people still burn CDs and DVDs.. when five minues and Grub4Dos make Any Puppy ready for use withh USBs , all RW . A CD was quikcly full, after a dozen of sessions, when RW was working well.

tallboy

#51 Post by tallboy »

mikeslr wrote:What gets quite large?

Mikeslr, that remark was to Flash, regarding a migration to a new multisession disc. All saved sessions from the last disc is collected to make one larger session on the new disc.
mikeslr wrote:I do that and sometimes have to run PupSysInfo to find out which Puppy I booted into.
I do the same, and repeat a setup I like. :D
I have always used Debian/ubuntu based puppies. I don't like Slackware, but I don't know why.
hamoudoudou wrote:I no longer use CDs and DVDs, however i took a glance at amazon, Cd-RW and DVD-RW
It's expensive !
I usually only use CD -R. They are low priced, and can be used in all my machines. The advantage is that they still can be used in 10-20 years, without losing anything. I use them only for the Puppy and it's settings/configs, all work files are usually saved to a HDD. Most of my usb are 1.st generation - unstable and slow...

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#52 Post by Flash »

tallboy wrote:
mikeslr wrote:What gets quite large?

Mikeslr, that remark was to Flash, regarding a migration to a new multisession disc. All saved sessions from the last disc is collected to make one larger session on the new disc.
No, I'm pretty sure the saved sessions from the old CD are not just lumped together on the new CD. Instead, the state of the computer when you save is what makes up the first saved session on the new CD or DVD. So if you have, for example, saved some large programs in one session on the old CD but deleted those programs in a later session on that CD, the programs won't be included in the session you save to begin the "remastered" multisession CD.
hamoudoudou wrote:I no longer use CDs and DVDs, however i took a glance at amazon, Cd-RW and DVD-RW
It's expensive !
I usually only use CD -R. They are low priced, and can be used in all my machines. The advantage is that they still can be used in 10-20 years, without losing anything. I use them only for the Puppy and it's settings/configs, all work files are usually saved to a HDD. Most of my usb are 1.st generation - unstable and slow...
I think CD-R and DVD-R may be expensive where Hamoudoudou lives. Most places in the U.S., they're only about $0.10 each.

tallboy

#53 Post by tallboy »

Flash wrote:No, I'm pretty sure the saved sessions from the old CD are not just lumped together on the new CD.
No, I know that. The contents in latest sessions are read first, and Puppy prevent the same contents in older sessions, to overwrite the newer. But you will still have the complete original Puppy copied to the new disc, plus all extras from the sessions. In a remastered version, you may get rid of some extra 'ballast' from the original Puppy. :D

mikeslr

#54 Post by mikeslr »

"I have always used Debian/ubuntu based puppies. I don't like Slackware, but I don't know why."

About the only Rule I've come across which has no exceptions is "Nobody likes substantial change." Slight variations may spice-up life, but adapting to a different way of doing anything is hard work.

I share your sentiments about Debian/ubuntu vs. Slackware. When I first began doing anything with Puppies beyond just installing the pets or loading the SFSes someone else made the OS I was using was "ubuntu-based". So I figured out what debs were. Slackware packages remained a mystery. [Since discovered to be insignificant if you're running Puppies].

Slacko 5.7, however, was an exception. I haven't built any applications for it. There wasn't any need to; pets and SFSes I used in "ubuntus" worked* and the Slacko repo had versions of applications I was familiar with. Slacko 5.7 just worked.

*I've since discovered that occasionally an application built for a "ubuntus" requires some lib to run under Slacko; usually true with Web-browsers but the packager for Puppy knowing that mentions it and provides a package of the necessary libs.

So while I usually post from (currently) Xenialpup64 and build applications for Ubuntus, Slacko 5.7 (now 5.7.1) remains the "work-horse" I'll boot into when I just want to get things done. Once I've booted into it, I really don't think about it being based on Slackware rather than Ubuntu.

mikesLr

tallboy

#55 Post by tallboy »

Thanks mikesLr. Well, I guess I should take a closer look at Slako 5.7.1, and see if my likings just are colored by old, bad habits! I may have spent too much time digging into the innards of Debian... :lol: