replace openbox with xfwm4?

fredx181

Re: replace openbox with xfwm4

#1103 Post by fredx181 »

zagreb999 wrote:regards
fred,
how to
replace openbox with xfwm4?
I have no knowledge about that, I thought xfwm4 is for the most useful as part of xfce4, but maybe it can be used as a sort of standalone (with some other components added, e.g. a panel etc...), you need to experiment with that, I guess.

Fred

mikeslr

#1104 Post by mikeslr »

Hi zagreb999,

As an alternative to replacing openbox, you might be able to just add xfce4-panel to it, perhaps building the later as a squashfile. Following a hint from fred, that's what I did under some Puppies.

As far as I can recall --and this without the greater ability to pull in dependencies provided by apt or synaptic-- all I did was select for 'download with all dependencies' one component of the panel which pulled in almost all the other components. I later had to add 'exo-utils' and, I think, the Whisker Menu plugin. You'll recall that the basic Puppy employs JWM which does not use 'exo-utils'. Openbox as window-manager may already use.

mikesLr

watchdog

#1105 Post by watchdog »

rcrsn51 wrote:Installing Brother printers in Stretch-Live-64bit

Brother does not supply 64bit versions of their printer drivers. Instead, you are required to install a 32bit compatibility package. Here is a light-weight solution:

1. Download the brother-printer-32bit-compat-stretch64_1.1.deb. It contains JUST the 32bit libraries required by the Brother driver.

<cut>
I followed the procedure and my brother printer works but now synaptic is broken because I think /lib32 is not in the system path:

Code: Select all

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 cupswrapperhl2130:i386 : Depends: libc6:i386 (>= 2.3.4-1) but it is not installable
 hl2130lpr:i386 : Depends: libc6:i386 (>= 2.3.4-1) but it is not installable
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution)

If I run "apt --fix-broken install" it uninstall the printer. How to fix this? I tried to run ldconfig with no luck.

rcrsn51

#1106 Post by rcrsn51 »

I suspect that the problem is NOT with the compatibility pack, but with the Brother 32bit debs themselves.

Try this: Start with a clean setup. Install just the two Brother debs. Then check with synaptic. Do you have the same problem?

At the Brother website, they have their own solutions to installing their drivers into a 64bit system. IIRC, one of them didn't work in Stretch and the other required a massive download.

[Edit] I think that I understand the problem.

Some old Brother driver debs have libc6 as a dependency in their Control file. Newer models don't have this and they install fine.

So you need to rebuild the two .deb files and fix this.

1. Left click on the deb. This extracts it into a folder with the same name.

2. In the Debian subfolder, open the Control file. Delete the Depends line.

3. Rebuild the deb file with: dpkg-deb -b <name of deb folder>

4. Then install the two debs with the original instructions.

Bill
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 12 May 2018, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.

watchdog

#1107 Post by watchdog »

I'll try that way later. For now I have my printer working with a driver of the printer-driver-brlaser deb driver of synaptics.

rcrsn51

#1108 Post by rcrsn51 »

watchdog wrote:Iprinter-driver-brlaser deb driver
Many (all?) of the Brother lasers use the same driver technology. It looks like someone converted it into a generic 32/64bit Debian driver.

-------------

watchdog

#1109 Post by watchdog »

rcrsn51 wrote: Some old Brother driver debs have libc as a dependency in their Control file. Newer models don't have this and they install fine.

So you need to rebuild the two .deb files and fix this.

1. Left click on the deb. This extracts it into a folder with the same name.

2. In the Debian subfolder, open the Control file. Delete the Depends line.

3. Rebuild the deb file with: dpkg-deb -b <name of deb folder>

4. Then install the two debs with the original instructions.

Bill
The libc.so.6 32 bit is required by the postinstall script of lpr driver breaking synaptic even with the hack of the control file. I give up. I maintain my printer working with the printer-driver-brlaser v3 driver.

rcrsn51

#1110 Post by rcrsn51 »

watchdog wrote:The libc.so.6 32 bit is required by the postinstall script of lpr driver breaking synaptic even with the hack of the control file. I give up. I maintain my printer working with the printer-driver-brlaser v3 driver.
Are you talking about the file hl2130lpr-2.1.0-1.i386.deb?

Starting with a clean install, I hacked the control file, loaded it with dpkg --force-all and checked synaptic.

I saw no problems.

rufwoof

#1111 Post by rufwoof »

From this thread
If you're trying to make a live-USB, similar to a live-CD, the system will always boot into read-only. There are ways around that using a second partition for persistence. If that's what you want, you should take a look at the debian-live documentation. You could build your own live system using live-build, and create either an iso image or a usb-hdd image.
http://live.debian.net/

Another option is to use Refracta Snapshot. You could install the deb files in your virtualbox installation and create a bootable iso that's a copy of your system, with all your customizations and settings. And you could use refracta2usb to put that iso onto a bootable usb thumb drive. You'll probably need to install some dependencies, like squashfs-tools, live-boot, live-config, live-config-sysvinit, and live-boot-initramfs-tools. See comments in the config file (/etc/refractasnapshot.conf) for using a custom iso directory. (You probably want the boot menu to say "Debian" instead of "Refracta".)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/refracta/files/tools/

If you don't want a live-media system, you could just install debian to the usb stick the way you'd install to a hard drive. Then it will boot read/write. Since the system isn't compressed into a squashfs, it'll take up more space on the stick.
Last edited by rufwoof on Sat 02 Jun 2018, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.

dancytron

#1112 Post by dancytron »

rufwoof wrote:From this thread
If you're trying to make a live-USB, similar to a live-CD, the system will always boot into read-only. There are ways around that using a second partition for persistence. If that's what you want, you should take a look at the debian-live documentation. You could build your own live system using live-build, and create either an iso image or a usb-hdd image.
http://live.debian.net/

Another option is to use Refracta Snapshot. You could install the deb files in your virtualbox installation and create a bootable iso that's a copy of your system, with all your customizations and settings. And you could use refracta2usb to put that iso onto a bootable usb thumb drive. You'll probably need to install some dependencies, like squashfs-tools, live-boot, live-config, live-config-sysvinit, and live-boot-initramfs-tools. See comments in the config file (/etc/refractasnapshot.conf) for using a custom iso directory. (You probably want the boot menu to say "Debian" instead of "Refracta".)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/refracta/files/tools/

If you don't want a live-media system, you could just install debian to the usb stick the way you'd install to a hard drive. Then it will boot read/write. Since the system isn't compressed into a squashfs, it'll take up more space on the stick.
That's a 5 year old post.

I'm not sure why you posted it here?

Obviously, Saintless and Fred have come up with several different (much better??) ways than the ways suggested in that 5 year old post than using a persistence partition or Refracta (whatever that is).

Who are you replying to and what are you trying to say??????

also, delete (square brackets deleted by me) from your message

img https://s7.postimg.cc/4k8zgmhwb/widetrans.png /img
It is messing up the spacing.

rufwoof

#1113 Post by rufwoof »

dancytron wrote:Who are you replying to and what are you trying to say??????
Some post just anything hereabouts in Puppy Projects ... and leave it for John Murga to decide whether it should be pulled or not (personally I suspect he has far better things to be doing). Some of us find non "Puppy Projects" posts to be annoying - most boards disallow such off topic posts, but as that's widely abused here might as well jump in and .... this might be of interest to some ...

http://www.gbgb.org.uk/rules-and-regulations.aspx
The Greyhound Board of Great Britain rules of racing are strictly adhered to but the way that we operate is in a flexible manner - any suggested amendment to the rules is debated and either rejected or implemented for the good of the sport.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

dancytron

#1114 Post by dancytron »

Oh, so you are intentionally being a jerk. Got it. Carry on.

Can you at least delete the link to the image file that is messing up the margins?

fredx181

#1115 Post by fredx181 »

Hi All, some news and updates:

- New kernel package version available from Debian repo: 4.9.88-1+deb9u1 (linux-image-4.9.0-6), upgrading can be done on a frugal install by running "upgrade-kernel"
The mklive-stretch script doesn't need to be updated for that because the kernel version number is still 4.9.0-6.

- New peasywifi package (v4.6-1), rcrsn51 changed the button "Connect" (at the dialog that appears after "Scan") to "OTC".
This means "One time connect" (wpa2 only) to be able to connect without having to make a Profile first.
(it will probably avoid some confusion there was earlier)

- New package I made for display of detailed system information: "inxi-gui", taken from antiX, original by Misko_2083, modified a little for StretchDog, Stretch-live. (see screenshot)
Install inxi-gui with synapic or apt-get (first update the packages lists; apt-get update)
After install, run from Menu > System > System Info (inxi-gui).
The "inxi" commandline script is included in /usr/local/bin, which is a perl script, so the package has perl as dependency.

EDIT: Also updated in repos the "hplip-print-scan" packages (32 and 64 bit) to version 3.18.3, thanks again rcrsn51 !

Fred
Attachments
inxi-gui.jpg
inxi-gui, system info
(120.22 KiB) Downloaded 804 times

rcrsn51

#1116 Post by rcrsn51 »

For aficionados of the Simple Python HTTP Server (ie. people who got tired of fighting with Samba), here are some additional tools.

Moat

#1117 Post by Moat »

Hi Fred - simple question (I hope!? :lol: ) -

Running my (nearly perfect!) modified/remastered Xfce StretchDog, Porteus boot w/changes.dat -

I'd really like to change the shutdown script to;

1) Default shutdown without saving (with no further user input), and...

2) Shorten the timeout to something closer to 6-8 seconds.

Possible? Can you (or anybody else) point me to the script where I could play around with modifying these settings?

The idea is to shutdown from the menu, quickly, and just walk away... ending up with a "pristine", bug-free boot next time around.
Running a small savefile just for minor changes only (themes, wallpaper, etc.).

Is this doable without too much trouble?

Thanks!

Bob

fredx181

#1118 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Bob,

Yes, it's doable rather easy, edit /usr/bin/wmreboot and /usr/bin/wmpoweroff, replace lines 23-41 with this (default is NoSave and timeout is 6 seconds):

yad --title="Save changes" --center --text="   Do you want to save your changes?\n   If so, click the 'Save' button within 6 seconds   " \
    --window-icon="preferences-system" --timeout=6 --timeout-indicator bottom --buttons-layout=spread  --button="Save:2" --button="NoSave:0" --button="Cancel:1"
    ret=$?

case $ret in
1|252)
exit
;;
0|70)
touch /mnt/live/tmp/changesx
gtkdialog-splash -timeout 4 -bg "dark red" -fg yellow -text "Session not saved" -close never
;;
2)
touch /mnt/live/tmp/changesx
alsactl store 0
touch /mnt/live/tmp/sessionsaved
save2flash
;;
esac
Change --timeout=6 to whatever you like.
Don't forget to save the session after this edit :wink:

Good luck,

EDIT: BTW, it's sometime ago that I made a build choosing this minimal XFCE (I think you are using), so out of curiosity I did again and I'm very pleased with it, it's very fast and... hey!! it's full XFCE4 ! ISO size only 244MB :D
I'd recommended it ! "Super Duper" as @sneekylinux probably would say :)

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Fri 01 Jun 2018, 18:15, edited 3 times in total.

fredx181

#1119 Post by fredx181 »

I've been running Slitaz frequently these days and I like the rounded corners of the gtk2 windows.
The openbox included in Slitaz is patched, I guess, found patched openbox packages that work on Stretch, Xenial, Bionic, here:

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic ... 678#p46678

Hosted these also here now (32 and 64 bit):
https://fredx181.github.io/StretchDog/N ... 3_i386.deb
https://fredx181.github.io/StretchDog/N ... _amd64.deb

Install by right-click > Install deb, or from terminal e.g.:

dpkg -i openbox_3.6.1-4.3_i386.deb
Edit ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml, around line 55 ,for example just under "<keepBorder>yes</keepBorder>"
So becomes:

<keepBorder>yes</keepBorder>
    <cornerRadius>4</cornerRadius>
    <cornerRadius menu="yes">4</cornerRadius>
Restart X and you should have rounded corners
It's not perfect though, depends on which openbox theme used also, some may find it ugly.

The value for <cornerRadius> 4 above can be anything, e.g. 8, but it may not look very well.

Fred
Attachments
2018-05-31-001159_733x293_scrot.png
Openbox rounded corners
(215.36 KiB) Downloaded 489 times

Moat

#1120 Post by Moat »

fredx181 wrote:Hi Bob,

Yes, it's doable rather easy...
Fantastic - thanks so much, Fred - it works a treat!!! 8)

System updates completed... time for a remaster of this perfect little Xfce Debian OS... :)

Bob
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-06-01_14-00-41.jpg
Lovin' it...
(87.71 KiB) Downloaded 455 times