USB stick with frugal installation doesn't boot

Booting, installing, newbie
adrub

USB stick with frugal installation doesn't boot

#1 Post by adrub »

Hi Guy!

I wanted to install Puppy (Xenial) on USB Stick DM PD021 64GB, USB 3.0

When I have on it Live version installed using Rufus it boots fine.
So I assume that settings in BIOS are correct and USB stick works properly.

Then when I want to install frugal puppy on this stick (using "install puppy" from menu) I can't force this stick to boot.

I've choosen all 4 bootloader options during instalation. I was trying ext4 and fat32. I tried different USB ports.

Laptop I use is Lenovo N22.

What is more interesting it boots with different (very old) laptop - Sony Vaio

Any idea?

Thanks in advance!

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Then when I want to install frugal puppy on this stick (using "install puppy" from menu)
The installer does the same type install that Rufus does. A live Puppy install on a USB flash stick.
The problem is probably that your computer has a UEFI bios and the Puppy installer is installing a boot loader that is not for UEFI bios booting.
It is for old style plain bios computers.

If you went into the computers bios and disabled secure boot and or enabled legacy boot, it would probably boot.

menu>Setup>UEFI installer-flash drives is suppose to be the installer to use if it needs to be able to boot on a UEFI bios computer.

The Puppy Universal Installer really needs a update on what is needed for UEFI bios support.
But someone has to volunteer to work on it.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

Try LICK

#3 Post by mikeslr »

Hi adrub,

If your Lenovo N22 is the one which came with Windows 10, bigpup is certainly correct. He's also correct that a major re-write of the Puppy installer is overdue. But that won't help with the hundreds of Puppy ISOs already out there,

If I'm not mistaken, the James Bond, Kirk and the crew which work on FatDog may have included LICK in its latest version. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 259#974259, There are other ways to manage when you have an computer booting via UEFI. But that the "FatDog Crew" were considering using it is, itself, a strong recommendation of the application. You can find it here, with instructions: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 720#462720

mikesLr

p.s. I assume you are using Xenialpup64-7.5 or the last of the 64-7.0 series, 64-7.0.8.6. I'm not certain if earlier versions included the eif.img required by the UEFI boot mechanism.

8Geee

#4 Post by 8Geee »

That USB stick is formatted in EX-fat... I doubt it will work with anything else than W10.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Burn_IT

#5 Post by Burn_IT »

Is Linux THAT out of touch???? :)

You are wrong!!
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

cthisbear

#6 Post by cthisbear »

Last edited by cthisbear on Wed 09 May 2018, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.

jafadmin

#7 Post by jafadmin »

8Geee wrote:That USB stick is formatted in EX-fat... I doubt it will work with anything else than W10.
reformatting USB Flash is trivial. Gparted.