Which is the latest 32-bit Puppy that can save to a live CD?

Using applications, configuring, problems
tallboy

Which is the latest 32-bit Puppy that can save to a live CD?

#1 Post by tallboy »

I am still trying to find a new puppy for my old 32-bit P4 machines. They are in different locations, so a live CD is the preferred media.

I use a live CD with a remastered Lucid 5.2.8.7 now, but does anyone use a later Puppy live from a disc?

I mean, not having heard that it can be done, but being able to confirm that it works, because they actually do it themselves?
Last edited by tallboy on Fri 11 May 2018, 02:21, edited 1 time in total.
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

april

#2 Post by april »

Precise 5.7.1 is 32 bit and I run it from a live disk with a save file on my hard drive if that helps.

Well I used to . now I'm using xenialpup64 7.5 ( but it's available as 32 bit also).
I got the iso ,cut the live disk and it runs great

In my experience whichever you choose to run with when asked to select your save file take the "ext4 file extension.

I used to get many breakages on the save file when running "ext2" as my choice and since starting on "ext4" I have not had one.
Last edited by april on Fri 04 May 2018, 20:47, edited 2 times in total.

a_salty_dogg

#3 Post by a_salty_dogg »

Tahr 6.03 boots, loads and runs perfectly from CD on my ancient (2001) Dell P4 machine with 1500 MB RAM and 2GB swap-file partition on a USB flash-drive, with save-file to same USB flash-drive.
Never yet had a slow down (except if using Firefox for extended periods when pages become extremely sluggish, though Palemoon & Light 49 run speedily, smoothly, & fine always), lock-up, or browser crash.

Ditto Precise 5.71, which I've been booting from CD for years, including on my even older AMD PII non SSE2 enabled 512 MB RAM machine (though Wary 5.5 runs better on that tbh)!
Last edited by a_salty_dogg on Wed 02 May 2018, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.

rockedge

#4 Post by rockedge »

I have Tahr 6.0.5 running very well on an 2005 IBM ThinkPad T-42
no hard disk no battery....runs from a 16 gig USB stick

runs a streaming camera over a web server 24/7

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, tallboy.

While I don't run it full-time from LiveCD, I did experiment with Xenialpup 7081 (one of the slightly older 'betas') on ye anciente Dell lappie (P4, 1.5 GB DDR1) for a wee while before finally installing to the upgraded SSD as a 'frugal'. April's correct about the 32-bit version working with a P4; it's not blazing fast, but it is nicely functional.

It would certainly make a good 'daily driver' for you.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Wed 02 May 2018, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.

8Geee

#6 Post by 8Geee »

IMHO sailor enceladus' Slacko5.7.1-woofCE works fine on my Atom n270 (32bit nonPAE). ISO is still small (160Mb) and adheres to 01micko's original Slacko5.7. The new kernel 3.18.106 has updates for Meltdown/Spectre if thats any concern. /MHO

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

puppyluvr

#7 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Tahrpup 6.0.5 works well for me!@!
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

kiramm
Location: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 393#988393

#8 Post by kiramm »

:idea: x slacko 2.3.2 i use daily from cd
after 3 years using different pupps with all kind pet sfs
and only on all! kind of slacos suspend works on my laptop
but not over any screensaver:(!
so need to press susped button if u not love hear ventilator noise all day:(

hiher versions of x slacko not boot from cd my laptop:(
but with lick yess:))))
only bad that bbest of all linux programs maybe only of only 2 which winns over windows programs : nomacs mostly genereally not working on slacos:(((
otherwise slackos would be bbbbest of this great forum pop(a)yanum :)
nobody is perfect;(nobody understads linux politics;)))

:arrow: if suspend works on ur pc with thar or u love house techno music ;) of pc ventilator sound all day than onlyyy all 32bit thar puppies (max has only xtahr with great geofreys adrive only for xthar!) hAve mostttt and bbbbbest programs of forum working.

slackos gereally seems for me more difficult to destroy with trying different programs around;)

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88846
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=851464
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=109279

my old latop i use daily u can see in link of my lokation
Attachments
x-tahrWithGEOFREYSadrive.png
WITN MAX MANY AND BBEST PROGRAMS OF PUPPY WORLD TO DOWNLOAD FOR COMFORT XFCE POPEYE PUPPY STRONGEST OF ALL PUPPIES
(108.27 KiB) Downloaded 426 times

tallboy

#9 Post by tallboy »

Last edited by tallboy on Thu 03 May 2018, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.

ally

#10 Post by ally »

tallboy

#11 Post by tallboy »

Thanks, I know, I also just corrected the link in my thread above. :D
Also: Puppy Stardust 013

april

#12 Post by april »

In my experience whichever you choose to run with when asked to select your save file take the "ext4" file extension.

I used to get many breakages on the save file when running "ext2" as my choice and since starting on "ext4" I have not had one.

I don't have any programming knowledge to back this up but I believe it caused a lot of problems with USB sticks that just doesn't happen to me now.

mikeslr

#13 Post by mikeslr »

I had the same experience as april. But I went with Linux Ext3. I think at the time I had some Puppies which couldn't read Ext4. I also think at that time mikeb --who actually knows what he's doing and why-- pointed out that Ext2 was more prone to corruption.

mikesLr

tallboy

#14 Post by tallboy »

In my experience whichever you choose to run with when asked to select your save file take the "ext4" file extension.
april and mikeslr: Sorry gentlemen, but you failed to understand my original question.
The point is that I never use a save-file! I run my puppies from RAM, not frugal but loaded from a live CD. And that is difficult with many late puppies.

nosystemdthanks

#15 Post by nosystemdthanks »

tallboy wrote:I run my puppies from RAM, not frugal but loaded from a live CD. And that is difficult with many late puppies.
i also run from ram often-- im running a cd-sized iso from ram on a 10-year-old machine with 1g of ram installed.

it may not answer your question, but id like to ask what problems you have running puppy in ram lately-- and how much ram (less than 1g probably, but how much) on the machine in question?

tallboy

#16 Post by tallboy »

Hi nosystemdthanks, I have to admit that I have not been precise in my definition of the problems. I usually run from 2 different locations, both P4 machines, one more than 10 years old with 1Gb RAM, and one closer to 15 years old with 512Mb, and generous swap partitions on their HDDs.
Some late puppies, like indicated in the text from the Xenialpup above, rely on frugal or full installation, and there seem to be a lack of support for saving to a multisession disc. And one additional problem is their sheer size!
But, I am actually writing this from musher0's Xenial-7.0.6-k41, which at least says it has the possibility to save to a multisession disc at shutdown - I have not tried yet.
A nice surprise is the number of my old favorite applications which are available from the Xenial's PPM repo, like Xpdf, pdftk, lynx, pinfo, xpad. A small disappointment is the lack of decent backgrounds, themes and fonts, but I have some of my own, ready to be installed.
The Xenial is too big, so I have to remaster it. I am not sure if it will run on the 512Mb RAM machine at all, without some serious slimming.
So far it seems like a good substitute, if I retire my Lucid 5.2.8.7.

proebler

#17 Post by proebler »

I too have the aim to keep a 32-bit P4 machine running with a new Puppy, currently running Slacko-5.3.1.

I can confirm that booting from live CD works with the Ubuntu LTS based UPup Bionic Beaver (upupbb) 18.05 on :

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
Max Speed: 3200 MHz
Current Speed of Core 0:3200 MHz

PC Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Product Name: HP d530 CMT(PA650PA)

Motherboard Vendor: Hewlett-Packard
Product Name: 085Ch

BIOS Vendor: Hewlett-Packard
Version: 786B2 v1.11
Release Date: 07/10/2003

Linux Kernel: 4.9.96-lxpup-32-pae (i686)
Kernel Version: #1 SMP Thu Apr 26 11:45:00 +08 2018
PAE Enabled: Yes

Memory Allocation:
(one window each of Abiword, Rox Filer and PupSysInfo open)
Total RAM: 2013 MB
Used RAM: 619 MB
Free RAM: 1394 MB
Buffers: 80 MB
Cached: 434 MB
Total Swap: 956 MB
Free Swap: 956 MB

Actual Used RAM: 105 MB Used - (buffers + cached)
Actual Free RAM: 1908 MB Free + (buffers + cached)

To achieve it,
I have used ISOMaster to modify the upupbb-18.05.iso
- removed fdrv_upupbb_18.05.sfs (finding it not necessary)
- replaced ydrv_upupbb_18.05.sfs with a modified ydrv_LxPupSc_18.03.sfs, renamed to ydrv_upupbb_18.05.sfs.

The ydrv_LxPupSc_18.03.sfs can be obtained from the ISO (https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... r/LxPupSc/)

The ydrv provides switching from Xorg-server 1.19.6 to an alternative Xorg server 1.11.4 [in fact 1.11.3].
With the default Xorg server 1.19.6 of upupbb-18.05 the P4 fails to get xwin going even when the vesa driver is chosen.

The modification was to add (to the original ydrv_LxPupSc_18.03.sfs)
/usr/lib/libXfont.so.1 (symbolic link to libXfont.so.1.4.1)
and
/usr/lib/libXfont.so.1.4.1
(including the respective directories /usr/lib)

I attach the two libraries. (remove the .pup extension)

On 1st boot with the live CD, when prompted, select 5) to 'Use alternative Xorg server 1.11.4'.
Pupmode will be 5.
Initiating a reboot, I created an ext4 savefile on a HDD partition.
The savefile was then detected and used to get into Pupmode 12.
UPup Bionic Beaver (upupbb) 18.05 runs well on this P4.
I do not normally run from CD but use frugal install on USB or HDD.
This was an experiment.

regards
proebler
Attachments
libXfont.so.1.pup
(remove .pup)
(195.84 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
libXfont.so.1.4.1.pup
(remove .pup)
(195.84 KiB) Downloaded 113 times

tallboy

#18 Post by tallboy »

Thank you very much, proebler. That is exactly the kind of info I am looking for! My 'newest' machine will accept 2Gb of memory, but finding old 1Gb memory chips is not easy anymore. The 1GB chips were expensive at the time, but most were just thrown away with the old PCs, as their life ended in the Windoze-world. The Bionic Beaver pup has an .iso wich is 315Mb, and will not run without a remastering, and maybe not at all in my oldest machine.
I have started making an overview of the default programs I can do without in Xenial, and I will remaster it and see if in runs on all PCs. The Xenial is recent enough to be hanging around for some years, and I have always modified my Puppies.
I live in what is supposed to be the richest country in the world, but my personal economy does not exactly reflect that situation! :lol:

Edit: Oops! I said my newest PC was 10 years old, it turns out it is from 2003! :shock: God knows how old the other old one is... :?

PC Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Product Name:

Motherboard Vendor: Hewlett-Packard
Product Name: 0864h

BIOS Vendor: Hewlett-Packard
Version: 786B1 v1.14
Release Date: 07/11/2003

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz
Max Speed: 3200 MHz
Current Speed of Core 0:2600 MHz

Frequency governor : performance
Freq. scaling driver : p4-clockmod

Sensor status is not available, or required kernel drivers are not loaded.

Personal Storage: RAM Disk
Size Used Free Use%
3.8G 594M 3.2G 16%

Memory Allocation:
Total RAM: 992 MB
Used RAM: 711 MB
Free RAM: 281 MB
Buffers: 48 MB
Cached: 416 MB
Total Swap: 6159 MB
Free Swap: 5700 MB

Actual Used RAM: 247 MB Used - (buffers + cached)
Actual Free RAM: 745 MB Free + (buffers + cached)

april

#19 Post by april »

tallboy I have many 512Mb and 256Mb memory boards if that is of any help . You are welcome to them free just say how many and where to go . You would cover any huge postage right?

The 1 Gig I keep for myself

tallboy

#20 Post by tallboy »

April, my 'nixbox have two memoryslots, and the hold 512Mb each now. I have several 256MB and 512Mb chips myself. An upgrade would have to be to 1Gb each, but thanks for your kindness anyway.

It turned out that musher0's XenialPup didn't like to save to a multisession CD after all, so I'll stick to my Lucid.