AtomicPup

News, happenings
8Geee

AtomicPup

#1 Post by 8Geee »

Very shortly, by week's end I hope, I will have a re-named EONS version of SLacko5.7.

Sailor Enceladus is building a very good / excellent updating of Slacko5.7 using a supported kernel 3.18.106 at last glance. I have checked and mildly tested on an eeePC-900a (32bit nonPAE). And its working great with an occasional glitch found.

Folks that are using older equipment should consider his update as it has on-going patching/updating regarding the Meltdown/Spectre SNAFU inherent in 99% of all CPU/MPU.

For more info on Sailor's update to Slacko5.7 click here.

So... this means two things for my updated 3.4.82 non-supported kernel editions of Slacko5.7.

1.) I will drop suppoort for the general original-based Slacko5.7. Sailor's version is superior and desparately needed to keep older equipment running without Meltdown/Spectre concerns. I really can't thank him enuff for this.

2.) That leaves Slacko5.7-EONS. This is and has been pointed at Atom-powered netbooks. As you may or may not know, Atom Processors do not have the "cop in the chip" aka Intel Management Engine, and other names. And it does not have Out of Order Execution, and predictive (speculative) decision-making (branching). Therefore its immune to Meltdown/Spectre BY DESIGN. It composes most of the 1% of all CPU/MPU not affected. So, I have decided to rename the EONS spin as AtomicPup dropping the Slacko5.7 in title only. This to avoid confusion with the new update by Sailor, and my older non-supported (kernel) works.

AtomicPup is EONS, and built the same, using the same components, and removal of shares and servers. It is small and functional, but aimed at a reletively small audience using Atom Processors. Because of the immunities above, AtomicPup can continue to use k3.4.82 as 01micko used when starting the SlackoPup5.7 project. It has and does 'just work'... an understated but good thing to fall back upon, or use day-to-day.

So AtomicPup is on the way. And again many many too many thanks to Sailor Enceladus and 01micko for their fine efforts I stand upon.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."