Puppy 2.15CE "Viz" - Development Ideas/Requests

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
EdFromHouston

#61 Post by EdFromHouston »

Well I think having CUPS 3.0 dotpup would allow a lot more printers to work out of the box especially HP.

More support for dialup modems out of the box will enable more modem users who may have less knowledge of linux to connect to the net right away. I think this will spread the word about Puppy more than anything else. Look at Ubuntu and notice the download is 698 mb and after downloading you still have to hunt down and compile modem drivers to get on the net. It wont require much more room to add a few more to Puppys' already good assortment.

I think Abiword with all the plugins would be good enough. There is a plugin for a spell checker among others.

JAVA 1.6 is smaller than 1.5.10 and should be looked at.

I think Icewm is better than JWM.

With all the web based software out there I see no reason to include Open Office.

Enough codecs to play Quicktime, Real, Divx, Flash flv like YouTube, and Windows media along with Mplayer and MozPlugger. That way we could have a way to watch and listen to Flash 9 for example by downloading and using Ffmpeg to convert the file to something else. That way Flash 9 could be left out because it crashes Mozilla.

puppyfan12

#62 Post by puppyfan12 »

RE: Cloning muppy: Muppy's system tray needs to change from it's static grey color to matching the theme that is selected

RE: Office apps: Although a I prefer OOo writer over abiword, the size difference might be a worthwhile compromise. The problem I see with web based apps is not everyone will be booting the puppy CE disk on systems with web access so there should at least be something bundled.
Last edited by puppyfan12 on Fri 23 Feb 2007, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

NathanO

Puppy 2.15CE

#63 Post by NathanO »

Rather then saying 'This Browser' and 'That Office' why not make it so one could 'customize' Puppy with out have to compile a custome one.

While you can use 'Pet' or 'DotPup' add on's, the is no way to take out a default item you do not want.

I like FireFiox, so I down load a Puppy FireFox 2.x and install it. It works, so I decide to use it. I would like to take out all the other browsers that are in Puppy with our jumping thru hoops. The only itmes that one should not be able to 'unload' are kernal type and library type itmes.

The same would go for say 'Office'. If I want to download Puppy Open Office, I should be able to get rid of the other 'Office' items I do not want.

Not everything has to be in memory. The real world is that there are many items that only are needed for first time use on a machine. Once a machine is set up then memory could be used for other itmes.

When there is an 'Up Grade' to Puppy, don't wipe out what a person has just because the 'Base Puppy' uses a browser or word processing default. My Pup Save shows what I like, let the 'Up Grade' look at that and say 'Okay, I do not load 'Default Browser' but I do load 'User Browser'. Or maybe we need a Puppy.INI file.

This would be a problem for some one who is doing a multi-session CD or DVD and not saving anything on a hard drive. Maybe we need a boot option that tells Puppy that 'I have an older Puppy in use and you need to let me at some point put in my older CD or DVD and look at it to keep everything I use'.

NathanO

bodach

Print Driver

#64 Post by bodach »

Can we have a driver that will work with the HP DeskJet 1600 series?

veronicathecow

#65 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi, how about 4 versions!

1. Bare bones, Xorg and ability to load extra dotpups etc.

2. Standard Puppy with all basic functions but small size and used on older hardware. Abiword, etc

3. C.E. "Standard" apps O.O. Thunderbird, Firefox, Gimp, etc

4. The full Monty (AKA Including the Out house sink) rivaling SUSE, Knoppix etc

Also anyway to allow puppy to extract from an ISO and do a universal install without having to blow a CD and all the environmental waste that entails!

Before deciding to upgrade it would be nice to be able to run the new puppy on a USB stick first.

Finally, fast booting, backgrounding any possible apps inc network, firewall etc.

Also Barry, I certainly would not object to a small link on the menu system that takes people to a donations page.

WhoDo

#66 Post by WhoDo »

veronicathecow wrote:Also anyway to allow puppy to extract from an ISO and do a universal install without having to blow a CD and all the environmental waste that entails!

Before deciding to upgrade it would be nice to be able to run the new puppy on a USB stick first.
Isomaster 0.7 is in Puppy 2.15CE Standard. That allows you to view the contents of, and extract files from, ISO's without burning to a CD.

BTW, Isomaster 0.6 is already in Puppy 2.14, under Multimedia.

Hope that helps, Tony.

WhoDo

Re: Puppy 2.15CE

#67 Post by WhoDo »

NathanO wrote:I would like to take out all the other browsers that are in Puppy with our jumping thru hoops.
Pupbegone (Pizzasgood) is in Puppy 2.15CE Standard for just that reason.

Hope that helps.

laptopnewbee

#68 Post by laptopnewbee »

NathanO wrote:When there is an 'Up Grade' to Puppy, don't wipe out (snip)
that reminds me, how about something in the installer to make the install using the settings/addons that the user has already made, in his pupsave, and during his session that is current at the time of the install? or am i asking for this in the wrong place?
so much to learn, so late a start.

Pizzasgood

#69 Post by Pizzasgood »

Does PupBeGone still work with PETget? I'm still using a pre-PETget system, so I haven't bothered learning the details of how it works. I figured I'd let Barry get it finished before I bother with it.

If it needs altering, I'll take care of it. Just let me know. The one included will also need to come with the full package file-lists also. 0pkgs_db-x.x.x. I don't remember how it was set up in PupBeGone. I'll have to look.

Well, I guess this means I'll be installing 2.14 next week, so I can figure out what's going on :roll:
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

rarsa

#70 Post by rarsa »

Well,

I have an idea and request.

Why not add the greatest and latest Remote desktop client?

Well, because you didn't know it was ready, so now you know, here it is.

Another fine* example of gnocl.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=92220

* hey, I'm allowed to call my UI's "fine", aren't I. I am really happy how this one came out, I don't know where I got the inspiration from ;)
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

WhoDo

#71 Post by WhoDo »

rarsa wrote:Why not add the greatest and latest Remote desktop client?
You sneaky devil, you! :D I've just downloaded it. If you are happy with it then it must be an exceptional piece of work that we'd be dumb to leave out of Puppy 2.15CE Alpha! :P

Thanks, mate!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

extra programs wizard

#72 Post by Lobster »

Pizzasgood wrote: Well, I guess this means I'll be installing 2.14 next week, so I can figure out what's going on :roll:
One of the things I found really useful in PizzaPup was the extra programs wizard. Do you think that or similar would work for Viz? Or maybe PETget will work with all the latest must have software?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

veronicathecow

#73 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi WhoDo thanks for reply. I'm having troubles with this program including it not seeing hda3 (my main drive with puppy on it, howefver it does see hdb1 through 3!)
Errors such as Skiping directory entry because stat(/root/.events) failed with 5 !!! etc
cheers

WhoDo

#74 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:Does PupBeGone still work with PETget? I'm still using a pre-PETget system, so I haven't bothered learning the details of how it works. I figured I'd let Barry get it finished before I bother with it.
Yes, it works with PETget, provided you select the "Use Old Method" option on first run. After that you wouldn't know it wasn't on 2.13! I like programs that are that adaptable! :D

Cheers

rarsa

#75 Post by rarsa »

Please ensure that you include the latest versions of the network wizard and the rc.network script

Network wizard
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=15180

rc.network
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=15125
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

cb88

#76 Post by cb88 »

veronicathecow wrote:Hi, how about 4 versions!

1. Bare bones, Xorg and ability to load extra dotpups etc.

2. Standard Puppy with all basic functions but small size and used on older hardware. Abiword, etc

3. C.E. "Standard" apps O.O. Thunderbird, Firefox, Gimp, etc

4. The full Monty (AKA Including the Out house sink) rivaling SUSE, Knoppix etc

Also anyway to allow puppy to extract from an ISO and do a universal install without having to blow a CD and all the environmental waste that entails!

Finally, fast booting, backgrounding any possible apps inc network, firewall etc.

Also Barry, I certainly would not object to a small link on the menu system that takes people to a donations page.
I agree make a barebones, official, CE and what could be called MindBoggler Puppy the whole nine yards or would that be the whole nine meters for everyone outside the U.S. Include wine java firefox qemu w/gui and all the stuff that is in every derivative of puppy IMO this would be a true CE Puppy

Lobster says he can't read the menus. Could the menu be a dark box that fades into a lighter color with dark text? would the text be the same color as the theme? I noticed some of the themes are very rectangular that is going out of style I can run vista black on a pII 300Mhz 64Mb and it is actually faster than windows 98 before it aperently got a virus and deleted the registy(I think boots exlorer crashes and all I can do is bring up empty task manager :roll: ).

cb88

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#77 Post by Lobster »

Hi, how about 4 versions!
Two is plenty. You have to to be practical. Each has to be supported. Some one has to do the work. Warren is doing good so far. We have new code from Rarsa, A New OpenOffice (hopefully) from Nathan and are on target for Alpha release 24 Feb (which is still very much based around 2.14)

More versions and derivations may well arrive
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy215

For example if someone would like to see one of the versions you suggest ;)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

NathanO

#78 Post by NathanO »

Lobster,

The problem is we all ready have ove half a dozen 'Puppy's out there. If all the direveitve 'Puppy's could be 'folded' into the main 'Puppy', then rather each on them haveing to redo everthing ever time there is an 'Up Grade' it is more efficient for every one.

There would be a starter point, the 'main' Puppy. Let the person new to Puppy start with this one. Once they have decided that Puppy is for them then they choose 'bare bones', 'main' 'musical', 'full CD' [lets call it Puppy Husky, say items like the latest FireFox, Open Office], and 'DVD' [ lets call it Puppy Saint Bernard,this is everything one can even dream of, I beleive there is some one doing this, I just do not remeber the 'official' name of it].

Barry stays responsable Puppy overall and for the 'main' and bare bones Puppy. Then one person takes on each of the others, reporting to Barry, and working together for each 'release' so all versions get an 'Up Grade' with in a reasonable time.

We have one 'Puppy' web site, one place all donations go to, and one central point for 'problems' and 'bugs'. We work together as a team and it make a better Puppy.

Lets look at one area that this could help out on. One problem is the size of the 'main' Puppy. I know Barry works hard to keep it with in reason, bu some of this is out of his control. The kernal and libs have to match the main 'Linux' or one runs in to comaptability problems. If we could in this combined effort take a few people who know their way around the kernal and libs and they look for possable duplicate or dead code. We do not point fingers, we just report the problem to the kernal and libs people. If they can reduce the size of the kernal and various libs by only 2 per cent, then that give Barry room to add more the the 'main' Puppy, and also makes it more efficent.

If we could look at all the Puppy special features and do the same, maybe even folding some of these in to one or two packages, once more we end up with a smaller starting point and a more efficent Puppy.

NathanO

cb88

#79 Post by cb88 »

I sugest Wolfhound Puppy for a dvd version. Wolfhounds are the largest breed.

Maybe this could be a goal for the next CE? Load minimal amount into ram so it will run on 64Mb i.e. (that laptop i mentioned) or even less. The zdrv or whatever would be holding the rest of puppy could always be copyed to Hd.

puppy pakages seem to be rather spreadout over several sites.One huge dependable site with unlimited upload and high bandwidth is needed might just be cheaper than multiple economy sites.

I understand about limiting to two versions four might be overkill.
The derivatives need to combine their better ideas It would make support for them easier. Which reminds me Wolfhound Puppy would be awesome :shock: .

nathan,
Any specific reason you suggested Saint bernard?
Would Wolfhound be better in your opinion?

cb88

NathanO

#80 Post by NathanO »

cb88,

No special reason for any 'name', just looking for one that say 'large' and possably 'reliable'. The name is not importnat, what is important in the Puppy Linux be thought of as one distribution with a central point of contact and control.

I am in another 'hobby' where central control has been lost over one area and it hs cost the user in problems because manufacture 'A' has decided to do things one way, manufacture 'B' does the same thing a second way, and the original way of doing that 'thing' is a third. This causes frustration and over all loss of user base. That has ended up costing everyone in that hobby.

By keeping Puppy 'trained' if you will, all the users benifit, as well as the people who help keep Puppy a good strong Linux.

NathanO