Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 23 May 2018, 03:06
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
I want to get rid of my phone bill
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [21 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Sylvander

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar 2018, 19:20    Post subject:  

Sipgate VoIP Service Review
I have one of these.
I was given a phone number and chose a country/region code that I wanted to coincide with my local code.
BUT...
If you have people you want to call and call you, who live in a certain region of the world, you can choose to have that as the region for your number, so that such calls are charged at local rates.
All incoming calls are free.

I have a Cisco VOIP adapter [here's how mine looks][an older model I bought years back] that connects by cable to my hub, and to which I can connect a normal landline type phone.
It's never used these days, but I'm often tempted to cancel my landline and use this instead.

The problem with the above is that if/when you call emergency services [999 here], they do not automatically know the exact location from which you are calling [the call is coming from the internet], so you must tell them your location.
Mercedes350se

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar 2018, 19:50    Post subject:  

I use a Gigaset S685IP. It consists of 2 (or more) parts depending on the number of handsets.

One connects to the router/modem and the other, the handset, sits in a charging cradle near a power outlet.

My deal is AUD5 per month - untimed landline calls are free, calls to mobiles are cheap and I can call a number of countries also for free. If relatives or the majority of incoming calls are from the one city then a "Dial-in-number" can be set up for that city so their calls to you are at the local rate assuming, like here, national calls are charged extra.

It has saved me an absolute fortune over the years.
greengeek

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar 2018, 04:11    Post subject:  

Sylvander wrote:
Sipgate VoIP Service Review
I have one of these..
That review mentions Windows, Android and Mac but not Linux - how do you use it? Are you using it in Wine?
Sylvander

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar 2018, 04:33    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:
That review mentions Windows, Android and Mac but not Linux - how do you use it? Are you using it in Wine?

I happen to use Puppy most of the time, sometimes Windows [XP...not connected to the web], BUT...
The OS in use [on my desktop or whatever] is irrelevant.
The phone adapter connects direct to the router/hub by wire.
See this thread/post.
Apparently I used Win2000Pro [way back in 2012] to go on the web to make arrangements for it's setup and use.
However...
You'll see in the post below the one linked above that rerwin made sjphone-0.1.pet so that Puppy could be used to to the job.

SJ Phone VoIP softphone Setup
I hope the above details are correct; I'm now old and not so sharp, and have forgotten the details of how I did it.
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar 2018, 06:34    Post subject:  

You can use any SIP account with any SIP phone. It can be a hardware adapter type or any softphone such as PSIP or Linphone.

I do have a hardware adapter but that is designed more to mimic a normal phone so does not easily do calls to SIP addresses. For this reason I prefer to always use a softphone. Linphone can be installed on Android so if you have WiFi you can use SIP VoIP from that as well as from Puppy.

Sipgate is a good provider because their SIP account gives call-out to phones at reasonable rates, plus the free geographical land-line number which you can give to people so they can phone you from any phone. Any credit on your account stays there until you use it (it doesn't get lost if unused at the end of the month). Account sign-up is free, Calls to others on Sipgate is free. My Sipgate number has effectively been my main "land-line" number for quite some time now.

Puppy PSIP has very good audio quality but does not do video and can only log in to one SIP provider at a time. For free calls to SIP addresses, Sipgate is not suitable. Best to use one of the many others for this. Iptel is good because the name is short and snappy. With Linphone I can be logged in to several SIP account providers at the same time, eg Sipgate for calls to phones and Iptel for calls to SIP addresses. Linphone also provide free SIP addresses, but they look a bit more clumsy eg sip:yourname@sip.linphone.org (extra "sip." prefix in the domain name).

Frang

PostPosted: Wed 25 Apr 2018, 11:39    Post subject: Canadian Phone  

The cheapest phone alternative for Canada is Magicjack. Can buy at Walmart or Source for around 60. Plugs into Router. Cost for a Canadian number is $10 per year. Service is free for first year then you can buy a 5 year package for 99. Free unlimited calls in Canada and USA . Works out to about 30 per year. Comes will smartphone app so can use on cell phone using either data or wifi.

It is not perfect, sometimes a call will drop and the audio quality can be iffy at times but you cannot beat the price. Another bonus is that telemarketers cannot seem to find the number so almost no annoying calls.

Have used since 2010 would not go back.
Page 2 of 2 [21 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: