Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 25 May 2018, 08:58
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Intermittent bogus browser messages
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
dogle

PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr 2018, 13:18    Post subject:  Intermittent bogus browser messages
Subject description: - any suggestions for tweaks / fixes / workarounds?

I continue to use the Seamonkey 1-series browser in Puppy 4.3.1 (still a firm favourite Puppy for me) most of the time, largely because over the years I have built up a very big collection of valued bookmarks (as bookmarks.html ) and I find the bookmark management systems in all the later browsers I have tried to be very unsatisfactory. (I also like my old adblockers and NoScript, which cut down my metered data use a lot; no firewall).

In recent months I have been experiencing many website connection failures, but these do not always appear consistently. For example:

- today I've been using Ixquick search engine successfully, then suddenly I get the 'Data Transmission Interrupted' message -
Code:
"the connection to www.startpage.com has terminated unexpectedly.   Some data may have been transferred"
With some sites I've noticed this message being preceded by a very rapid alternation between 'connecting to ...' and 'connected to ....' and with one I used to visit regularly it always appears now, following a site "upgrade", unless I fire up a box with a (very) recent browser.

- today I've been using Duckduckgo successfully, then suddenly I get the alert
Code:
"Seamonkey can't connect securely to duckduckgo.com because the site uses a security protocol which isn't enabled"
and clicking OK has no effect, the browser continues to bar access. This is obviously bogus, I've just been there, but I've been getting a lot of it in recent months and it appears to be barring some sites all the time now.

- yesterday I was using Wikipedia happily until all of a sudden "can't connect securely to upload.wikimedia.org" began to appear and then I could view the pages only sans-images after clicking OK on the alert ad nauseam. I'm having the same problem again today.

Last year when posting about his site developments
http://bkhome.org/news/201709/shellcms-moved-from-markdown-to-html.html
Barry mentioned a - somewhat unkind? - comment by a website designer as to his 'old school way of doing things'. This struck a chord with me because I have long suspected that we are suffering from a new generation of wannabe script-kiddies of scant ability seeking to "improve" websites by application of largely useless bloatware, and I have little doubt that this may be a contributory factor in the problems I am experiencing.

However the intermittent nature suggests that such is not the full story and perhaps another contributory might be ISP performance - I use a cellular data link, and wonder if e.g. ISP data rate / throttling / latency might also be a part of the picture.

I'd like to know if many others are experiencing similar difficulties now, and would be particularly glad to hear about any tweaks / kludges / fixes / about.config edits which have been used successfully to mitigate them.
jafadmin

PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr 2018, 14:10    Post subject:  

The thing to keep in mind about 802.11x and Cellular is that they are still exactly the same radio waves Marconi discovered in the 1890's. The only difference between now and then, is that there are about a billion times as many "things" that can interfere with radio in the modern era.

I once had a cordless phone that would make my Wifi disconnect every time someone called my number. After I figured out what was happening, I got rid of the cordless phone.
greengeek

PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr 2018, 17:01    Post subject: Re: Intermittent bogus browser messages

dogle wrote:
In recent months I have been experiencing many website connection failures, but these do not always appear consistently....

... With some sites I've noticed this message being preceded by a very rapid alternation between 'connecting to ...' and 'connected to ....' and with one I used to visit regularly it always appears now, following a site "upgrade", unless I fire up a box with a (very) recent browser.

- today I've been using Duckduckgo successfully, then suddenly I get the alert
Code:
"Seamonkey can't connect securely to duckduckgo.com because the site uses a security protocol which isn't enabled"
and clicking OK has no effect, the browser continues to bar access. This is obviously bogus, I've just been there, but I've been getting a lot of it in recent months and it appears to be barring some sites all the time now.

I have noted an increase in weird stuff too. I put it down to three things:

- The script kiddies you mentioned adding unnecessarry new "goodies" to websites in the belief that newer is always better

- Some web companies rolling out new protocols for GDPR - a "personal data protection" protocol that major internet service providers are increasingly expected to adhere to.

- Google is in the middle of a transition to an "HTTPS only" internet. I see an increase in messages that appear to reject my browser as being insufficiently secure. This comes and goes a bit so I assume that webhosts are testing server capabilities and rolling out new versions of stuff like SSL etc.

Feels like it's only a matter of time till anything useful on the internet is "ringfenced" by Google and I'm on the outside.

jafadmin wrote:
I once had a cordless phone that would make my Wifi disconnect every time someone called my number. After I figured out what was happening, I got rid of the cordless phone.
Every time my wife uses the microwave to warm up her cereal it takes down our wifi and I have to wait a few minutes before I can reconnect. Do i get rid of the microwave or the wife? Confused
Galbi

PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr 2018, 18:48    Post subject: Re: Intermittent bogus browser messages

Both, microwaves ovens and cordless phones, work in the 2.4 GHz range, the same for WiFi. It's because is a free (can't be licensed) frecuency.

You can change the channel in which your router transmits to see what happens.

======================

greengeek wrote:
Do i get rid of the microwave or the wife? Confused

It's a matter of cost-benefit... Wink

Saludos.

Burn_IT

PostPosted: Wed 25 Apr 2018, 08:48    Post subject:  

Surely that is just a question of taste???
ally

PostPosted: Wed 25 Apr 2018, 09:04    Post subject:  

could the security issue be your time clock is inaccurate

had that once on a banking site, psync'd the clock and all was well

Smile
8Geee

PostPosted: Wed 25 Apr 2018, 11:39    Post subject:  

good one ally... I came here to suggest the clock, timezone, and the CMOS battery.

Regards
8Geee

Linux user #498913

Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
dogle

PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr 2018, 04:31    Post subject:  

Thanks-a-bundle, folks , for all your very helpful and thought-provoking responses.

Trouble is, after much head-scratching on my part, none of the several highly plausible interference sources suggested quite seem to fit the pattern of intermittent disruption being experienced..

But hang on, yesterday serendipity cast a completely new light on the problem, emerging in the unlikely shape of a brace of wood pigeons bent on wreaking mayhem in my garden. Here's what happened:

- after sending my intruders on their way, I came in with a burning urge to look up 'pigeon pie'. Both Duckgo and Ixquick still being blocked by Seamonkey (SM) nanny-messages as aforesaid, I dropped down to Zapmeta which had been working the day before, only to find that this was also now being blocked completely by persistent SM 'can't connect securely' popup messages. ("Bummer!" sez I to meself, "at this rate I'll be forced to sell me soul to the Gogule data mines").

- because the persistent SM nannypopups prevented me from closing SM gently, I invoked kill , successfully. I then checked Topview to make sure no SM zombies remained running. I fired up SM again, and checked to make sure that - as usual for me - cookies remained disabled ... and then, acting on a mere hunch, I cleared the cache.

- result: hey presto! .. Duckgo, Ixquick, Wikipedia all running perfectly again with no spurious SM blocking messages.

my tentative conclusions at this point:

- the underlying gremlins may lie embedded slumbering within the arcane structure of SM.

- what triggers said gremlins to wake and do evil, and why it has become more of a problem recently, remains a mystery.

- perhaps clearing the cache puts the basties back to bed.

- I remain hopeful that manipulation of about.config might help to reduce the nuisance, if anyone knew how.

As to the last point, it seems to me to be sadly and sharply ironic that the Mozilla folks instead of (AFAIK) publishing a helpful guide to about.config seem to have deemed anyone daft enought to use their product to be too moronic to do any editing of the said file, and sought to discourage such action - oh, what a shame.

Any ideas on about.config edits?
greengeek

PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr 2018, 07:16    Post subject:  

dogle wrote:
But hang on, yesterday serendipity cast a completely new light on the problem, emerging in the unlikely shape of a brace of wood pigeons bent on wreaking mayhem in my garden. Here's what happened:

- after sending my intruders on their way, I came in with a burning urge to look up 'pigeon pie'.
If my secondary school education serves me correctly - a "brace" is the same as a "couple" - which appears inadequate to enable a decent pigeon pie. However - here in the Puppy world, we aim to do more with less, so perhaps you have a suitable recipe?

My neighbours doves are somewhat irritating...
Twisted Evil
mikeb

PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr 2018, 10:57    Post subject:  

Some problems seem related to sites that have not implemented https correctly or have not updated their certificate.
The push to https has cause some chaos.....also seems to drag in javascript functions you may not have...again pushing google chrome and products since they (google) add functions...sites use updated google api...other browsers have to implement afterwards to appear buggy.
mike
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: