puppy linux USB install [SOLVED]

Booting, installing, newbie
bushrat

puppy linux USB install [SOLVED]

#1 Post by bushrat »

I'm sure the topic of creating a bootable USB for Puppy Linux has been done to death, but I can't find a solution to my install problem anywhere.

1. I'm using Windows 10 to try to create a Puppy Linux bootable USB
2. USB is 64GB Samsung.
3. My laptop is Acer Aspire ES15, 64-bit, UEFI 'bios', Safe Boot disabled.
4. Downloaded Puppy 64-bit from Linux source.

Every account of how to get from that ISO to a bootable USB goes as follows:
(a) download ISO image.
(b) use any of a deluge of installers e.g. Rufus, Universal USB installer, Unetbootin etc. to simply pick up the ISO image.
(c) press 'OK' and hey presto you'll have a bootable USB...
(d) RUBBISH!

I have tried all USB installers I can think of, using various combinations of partitioning schemes NTFS, FAT, ex-FAT... and all that happens when I check the supposedly 'bootable' USB with Windows disk management tool is a single Primary partition on the USB has been created which simply looks like an extracted copy of the ISO. There is no EFI boot partition on the USB, hence the USB is simply not bootable.
(Yeah, I know to change the boot sequence in Windows between devices - so that's got nothing to do with it.)

Maybe it's the case that some machine's firmware is such that no other bootable O/S is possible? more on that later...
I've previously failed to install Linux Mint on this machine (goes through the install sequence from a DVD I bought from Linux) but ends up in software rendering mode - so that's useless too.

In order to see if my theory is correct I downloaded Tails which is a stand alone USB O/S and wouldn't you know - it installed perfectly (pity I've got no use for it).

So I don't know what's going on here. If anyone has any suggestions on how I can get Puppy-on-a stick installed I'd be grateful.

Thanks.
Last edited by bushrat on Wed 25 Apr 2018, 13:14, edited 3 times in total.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Downloaded Puppy 64-bit from Linux source.

Not specific enough.
There are several 64bit Puppy versions.
They are all different.
(b) use any of a deluge of installers e.g. Rufus, Universal USB installer, Unetbootin etc.
If you did use the installers correctly.

Puppy is not that UEFI bios perfect and not all UEFI bios is the same.

Go into the UEFI bios and disable secure boot
That should let it boot something other than Windows 10.
Windows 10 will still work.

Some UEFI bios has the legacy boot option in their setup.
This is suppose to let it boot the old way.
Enabling it may help.

To boot Puppy on my computers UEFI bios.
I disable secure boot.

Should be able to get into the bios setup by holding the F2 key down just as the computer boots.
Release the F2 key when the bios setup screen pops up.

Look for secure boot setting under something like security section.
May have to do some digging to find the secure boot disable, but it will be someplace in the bios setup.
Just remember to save the change when you close the bios setup.

If Puppy is still not booting.
Give us a specific Puppy version.
A specific install program you used.
Tell us what you specifically see as it tries to boot.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bushrat

#3 Post by bushrat »

I've tried many versions
slacko-6.3.2-uefi
slacko64-6.3.2-uefi
puppy-tahr
ubuntu-16.04.4-desktop-amd64

and thanks for your remark about my use of installers - I've only been around PC's for 30 years....

I also said in my post I had disabled safe/Secure boot so I'm not sure why you went to great lengths to explain it to me?

I have successfully installed Mint and Ubuntu on other machines with no problem so it's not as if I'm attempting some first time effort to install another O/S.

thanks for your reply anyway....

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

If Puppy is still not booting.
Give us a specific Puppy version.
A specific install program you used.
Tell us what you specifically see as it tries to boot.
We can only troubleshoot one specific Puppy version at a time.

We have no idea what you see as it boots.
You are our eyes.
We only know what you tell us.
You do what?
You see what?

You would be surprised how many times someone says they did it correctly and it turns out they did not! :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

I've only been around PC's for 30 years....
I must have missed that in your first post.

I got you by one year! :lol:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bushrat

#6 Post by bushrat »

my reply to your last post just vanished?...

in reply to your "what do you see?" the answer is I see nothing.

as I said, when I check the "bootable" USB the installers are supposed to have made, the Windows Disk Management tool reports that a single partition has been created on the USB, reported only as "Healthy, Primary Partition". It should report it as "Healthy, Boot, Primary Partition". Unless the partition is bootable it just won't boot? And that's the core of my problem. The installers are not making a bootable USB. None of them.

So what happens when I cold boot the machine is that Windows installs itself in the usual way totally ignoring the presence of the USB as if it wasn't there.

I can't figure why the installers are not doing their job, and I'm a bit frusrated at this point so I'm giving it a rest.

thanks again for your reply.

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

Running in Windows 10.

I downloaded and installed the latest version of Unetbootin for Windows.
Downloaded the xenialpup64-7.5-uefi.iso.

Used Unetbootin to install xenialpup64 7.5 to a usb flash drive.

The flash drive has one partition on it formatted fat32 and flagged boot.
I used fat32 format, because every computer will see that format.
Some computers will not boot a usb flash drive unless it is fat32.
The flash drive was partitioned and formatted by using a separate program.
Did not use the installer to do the partitioning and format.

Boot my computer.
Bring up the boot device option screen.
Select the usb drive.
Get the boot menu from the usb drive.
Select the normal boot of xenialpup64 7.5
Boots to desktop.

I am running from it right now.
Booted OK for me.

reports that a single partition has been created on the USB, reported only as "Healthy, Primary Partition". It should report it as "Healthy, Boot, Primary Partition".
That could be the problem it is not flagged as boot.

I will assume you know how to use a partitioning and formatting program to flag a partition boot. You understand that the first partition is flagged boot and the boot files need to be on it.
With only one partition on the usb flash drive.
Where to put stuff is easy to figure out. :lol: :lol:

I never let a installer program partition and format a device.
I always partition and format by using a program made to do that.
The usb flash drive is already partitioned and formatted when I use Unetbootin.

This is what should be on the flash drive if you install xenialpup64 7.5 using Unetbootin.
Attachments
capture22151.png
(32.67 KiB) Downloaded 503 times
Last edited by bigpup on Sat 21 Apr 2018, 05:37, edited 3 times in total.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bushrat

#8 Post by bushrat »

thank you for that detailed reply.

I have to go to work right now so can't try the same thing, but will when I return and I'll let you know what happened.

bushrat

#9 Post by bushrat »

@bigpup - as Arnie said "I'm back..."

I need to clarify a few points from your previous post because I still can't get a bootable USB.
The flash drive has one partition on it formatted fat32 and flagged boot.... The flash drive was partitioned and formatted by using a separate program.
The tricky bit is "and flagged boot" - so would you care to reveal what Windows compatible program you used to flag the USB as 'boot'?

My flash drive now has one partition on it, formatted FAT32, recognised by Windows Disk Management tool as "Healthy, Active, Primary Partition"
I achieved this with Diskpart, but it would appear that an 'active' partition is not necessarily a bootable partition.

I used Unetbootin as the installer and downloaded a fresh copy of the same Xenialpup distro you previously mentioned.

Unetbootin has copied the extracted ISO files but I'm still not achieving a bootable disk.
The boot device is set to the correct option - but when I check the Boot Option Menu only the Windows Boot Manager appears - that is to be expected of course since the USB device remains unbootable....

If you would advise what software you are using to create a bootable flash drive I'd be very grateful, maybe then I'd get somewhere.

Thanks.

bushrat

#10 Post by bushrat »

@bigpup

I'm posting this from xenialPup after I got the damn thing to boot up straight from the USB.

It's 1:00 am where I am and I've reached the limit of my perseverance with all things 'computer' for tonight.

I'll get back to you to explain how I did it later on today if you're interested.

Found quite a few problems with Unetbootin even though I downloaded a fresh copy but I'll explain later.

Really happy to have got the thing going even if it's another day out of my life I'll never get back.... LOL.

thanks for all your effort.

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, bushrat. And 'Welcome' to the kennels.
bushrat wrote:...and thanks for your remark about my use of installers - I've only been around PC's for 30 years....
bigpup wrote:I got you by one year! :lol:
Mm. I reckon I can probably add another 6 or 7 to that, 'cos I started frying the old grey cells with these here 'boxes of black magic' right at the very beginning of the home computer revolution, at the start of the '80's.....

It's true that MyCrudSoft initiated a whole raft of extra complications when they introduced UEFI, along with the infamous FastBoot/SecureBoot combo. Certainly for those of us who wanted to use Linux on newer hardware.

---------------------------------------

Personally, the way I would have approached this would have been to download and burn the GParted-Live.iso to a CD (or to another USB 'stick' - you wouldn't have any problems doing that with UNetbootin), then boot from that. I would then have used that to partition & format the USB stick you want to use for Puppy, along with setting the boot flag.

After which procedure I would then have used the UNetbootin installer (Windoze version) to install the Puppy of choice to the USB stick. UNetbootin is one of the few installer tools to install the contents of the Puppy .iso file in such a way that everything is recognisable, and, therefore, bootable. It's fine with most Linux 'full' installs, but it's the Puppy 'frugal' install' that even other Linux software often has trouble with.....in particular, the GRUB2 bootloader that just about all the 'mainstream' distros use (one of the most bloated, over-complicated monstrosities of a thing it's ever been my displeasure to have to use).

It goes without saying, of course, that once you have one Pup up-and-running it's a piece of cake to create as many other Puppy USB installs as you like, given that Pup has all the necessary tools for this procedure 'built-in' as standard. There's even what we call the 'quick & dirty' method, once you're a wee bit more familiar with Pup in general.....which always works, without fail.

Be interested to hear how you did manage to get Pup running. I'm eagerly anticipating your response to all this..!

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 22 Apr 2018, 00:33, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#12 Post by bigpup »

Yes! Please report on what you did to get it working!!!!!!
This may help others :D

Your time was spent learning something new.
That is always a good thing!

Get ready to learn Puppy Linux and how it does things. Be opened to learning and do not get into the Windows did not do it that way way of thinking :lol:

Now you know why my computer is in a room that has no windows!
Computers do not want to work when they get thrown out a window
! :shock: :lol:

Unetbootin is a little strange to use until you use it a few times.

I use Gparted to do any partitioning and formatting.
It is in all Puppies.
The programs that come in Windows are too simple and dumbed down.

You can make a Gparted live usb or CD that boots an OS to just use Gparted.
Gparted live CD or USB.

You can download a free version to make your own Gparted live CD or USB.
It is up to date and specifically made to run Gparted.
Info:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#13 Post by bigpup »

If you have 30 plus years working with computers.

Part of Puppy is helping to support it.
Help to test new releases.
Help to solve problems.
Code some new programs or clean up old code, if you know how to code.
Really, anything to help.

We are Puppy!
Resistance is futile!
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#14 Post by Mike Walsh »

bigpup wrote:Get ready to learn Puppy Linux and how it does things. Be opened to learning and do not get into the Windows did not do it that way way of thinking :lol:
Agreed. TBH, long-time Windows 'power-users' are actually the very folks who have the most trouble learning Linux, period. Old habits and ways of doing things become so ingrained that they resent the time it takes to learn a whole new way of doing things.

And even long-term Linux users have problems getting the hang of Pup's unique way of doing stuff.

Have a read of this. It's quite insightful, and explains just a few of the concepts Windows users seem to have trouble with when they decide to try and tackle Linux:-

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

drunkjedi

#15 Post by drunkjedi »

Well he has used Ubuntu and mint, so I don't think he is unfamiliar with Linux.

He just have to see how puppy does things differently.

For example, there's no "sudo" this or that.
No apt-get....

Have fun.

Umm.... I've only been around this world for 35 years.... last 3 of them were around computers whenever I am not working..... does that count?

I only once used a "installer" from Windows when I found Puppy, if I remember correctly it was from pendrivelinux.com
Since then I manually create my drives by coping files and installing syslinux bootloader.
Here's an old howto for that
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96187

bushrat

#16 Post by bushrat »

Thank you all...
I'll delve into some of the references given by other posters as I develop a better understanding of Puppy Linux. So don't be dismayed I haven't directly responded to you all. I've taken your posts onboard.

What follows is my account of installing Puppy on MY machine from a Windows 10 platform using EXCLUSIVELY Windows 10 compatible software. It's simple stuff anyone can follow if sufficiently interested. All I can say is it worked for me, your experience might be very different. There will be those who experience no problems with Puppy install from Win 10 platform and wonder what all the fuss is about and others who can't get past first-base booting issues (that was me). I also have to say that the quality of 'advice' floating around the internet on such things is mostly bloody awful, a lot is downright incorrect (Puppy forum excepted).

I have been around PC's for a long time but still feel like I know nothing, it's easy for a problem to emerge which trips me up. I also have no particular attachment to any Windows software. If there is software in Linux that will get the job done for me that's all I want. It would be nice to find a Puppy variant which supports Libre Office, NordVPN, and a decent encryption program but that will come later and I won't discuss that here. The first thing I had to do was get ANY Puppy Linux variant to install on my machine.

Please note that in all the steps which follow there are numerous ways of handling them, I can't list all the possible strategies, it would take a book - this account is simply what I did.
Also, I have to assume readers have some familiarity with basic use of Windows command console and a few other Windows utilities. Since they are looking to install Linux they probably do?

To create a bootable Puppy USB flash drive from Windows 10 platform which, on machine boot, boots directly into Puppy Linux.
============================================================================================================================

1. My hardware/software is listed in my very first post above.

2. Download a Puppy ISO - just leave it in 'c:/users/downloads' or wherever you normally keep downloads. There is no CD/DVD burning in this account (I did try burning the ISO image to disk to create a bootable CD/DVD but that also failed on my machine so I returned to booting from USB flash drive). You can find a list of Puppy variants by typing 'Puppy Linux' in any search engine - I used the one suggested by 'bigpup' xenialpup64, but now I'm sure others would work just as well.

3. Preparing the flash drive using DISKPART. (How detailed of a description should I give here?...)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW I'm only looking to end up with a single partition flash drive just to keep things simple (ref: bigpup's earlier post).
Format the entire flash drive as FAT32 don't use quick format go the whole hog. The key thing here is that the drive descriptor should end up as MBR not GPT. There is free software that can manipulate this if you need to (AOMEI, EaseUS, and probably many others). If you think a single partition is too big for your needs we'll deal with that later.

(I've dealt with formatting separately here but you could in fact roll up the formatting in the following DISKPART operations if you wanted to.)

DISKPART (replaced FDISK) is a Windows command-line utility used to manage disks/partitions/volumes on any listed storage device, it must be run in elevated administrator mode. Here is where you make your flash drive bootable. If you really don't know what you are doing, stop at this point because you can destroy your Windows installation if you screw up.

C:\WINDOWS\system32> diskpart --> the console is waiting for your commands, type 'diskpart'(no quotes). DISKPART> remains as prompt.
DISKPART>
DISKPART> list disk --> lists disks, look for your USB disk number (let's say it's 2) it will be there in the list.
DISKPART> select disk 2 --> makes diskpart focus on disk 2
DISKPART> list partition --> lists partitions on disk 2 (in this case there'll only be one) let's say it's partition 1.
DISKPART> select partition 1 --> makes diskpart focus on disk 2 partition 1
DISKPART> active --> the active command is what makes that partition an active bootable partition. *** CRUCIAL STEP ***
DISKPART> shrink xxxxMB --> shrink the partition only if you want to
DISKPART> exit --> you've finished with command console

The above commands all have a HELP function. If you want to know the meaning/syntax of any command simply use: DISKPART> help shrink (for instance)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note about 'active' command
---------------------------
If everything has gone right with previous formatting of your flash drive then the command console will accept the 'active' command.
If it does not accept the active command it will tell you why and you need to go back and reformat the drive until you've got an MBR partition.
If you started with an old flash drive on which you previously had an EFI partition installed you'll need to get rid of it the following article shows how.
https://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-de ... -usb-drive

Checking what you've done so far.
---------------------------------
Using control panel: control panel/administrative tools/computer management/storage/disk management
You'll see the layout of all drives Windows knows about.
Check your flash drive is reported as "Healthy, Active, Primary Partition" - when you see that you're home!
If you don't see the flash drive partition marked 'Active' you have failed to make it bootable.

A side note - many internet articles go on and on about Windows not making 'Removeable' devices bootable and launch into complicated ways of tricking Windows into thinking your flash drive is a fixed device. Well, ignore all that crap. Windows saw my flash drive as removeable when I checked it as above and was quite happy to make it bootable - make what you will of that....

Now you have a potentially bootable device ready to accept the Puppy Linux install modules.

Using Unetbootin to install Puppy Linux.
==========================
This is my experience of Unetbootin on my machine maybe others run differently? (I'm not trying to bag Unetbootin, just reporting what happened).

Download and run Unetbootin from the original source - I earlier used a Sourceforge copy and I'm afraid it did not do its job - for that matter neither did Unetbootin even from the original source - more on that later.

Run Unetbootin. Point Unetbootin at where you've got the ISO stored. Click OK and off she goes... or does she?

You'll see a scrolling echo of what Unetbootin is doing - it's quite detailed and very clear including reporting that it's extracting the Puppy ISO packages. Initially I trusted Unetbootin had faithfully extracted or unzipped the Puppy files and once again after many hours booted my machine with the newly minted flash drive containing the Puppy files and still nothing happened, no Puppy booting, straight to Windows 10 as normal. Bugger!

Then I took a closer look at the flash drive contents. They lined up with bigpup's screen shot of what he posted after running Unetbootin on his run but something looked a bit odd.
The contents of the flash drive showed unzipped Puppy files - I knew something was wrong.
There were 19 files/folders on the flash drive. I then used 'Express Zip' from NCH software and went through each of the folders/files on the flash drive and whenever Express Zip showed the opportunity to unzip files that's what I did. Files which had already been extracted would only allow for 'compress files' so I was pretty safe extracting what could be extracted. Why Unetbootin did not unzip all files remains a mystery to me. Anyway, after the simple unzip operations I simply shut down the machine, rebooted and up came the grub loader for Puppy followed by the usual module loading and finally the Puppy home page. DONE!

At the grub loader I chose the RAM install option just for fun and Puppy runs like a shower of #%#* - it's so fast and I'm really looking forward to seeing what's available as I plod through the next learning curve to get a proper handle on it all.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Cheers to all... if you haven't already fallen asleep.
Last edited by bushrat on Wed 25 Apr 2018, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.

foxpup

dd

#17 Post by foxpup »

I'm using Puppy for just a few years; maybe 5 ;-) If I may add anyway:

If I just want to boot a Puppy from usb on a uefi machine I use the (linux) dd command to put an iso of the Puppy on the usb.
No fuss with unetbootin, rufus and co, nor gparted and diskpart.
Mind: it deletes everything on the usb, it occupies just the space it needs for the iso
and the rest of the usb is unusable unless you use the fix_usb script form fatdog.
The iso also needs to be properly prepared for uefi, but that is the case for all recent Puppies which are also best for this kind of machines.
The dd command should be like this:

Code: Select all

dd if=/path/puppy_uefi.iso of=/dev/sdc
if sdc points to the usb.
Mind: it has to be /dev/sdc and NOT /dev/sdc1

All the rest I do is the same as bigpup does.
Oh, and I also have to enable usb booting as a separate option in my bios.
Last edited by foxpup on Mon 23 Apr 2018, 08:44, edited 2 times in total.

Mike Walsh

#18 Post by Mike Walsh »

Foxpup, any chance you can modify your post so's the rest of us don't need to scroll 3 times the width of the screen just to read the posts??! :lol:

However BIG is your monitor? :shock:

-------------------------------------------

@ bushrat:-

WELL DONE. And thanks for the detailed description of how you got things working; I'm probably correct in stating that this post ought to be linked-to from the 'Beginners' sub-forum.
bushrat wrote:At the grub loader I chose the RAM install option just for fun and Puppy runs like a shower of #%#* - it's so fast and I'm really looking forward to seeing what's available as I plod through the next learning curve to get a proper handle on it all.
Yep, she is fast, isn't she? (I always think of Puppy as a 'she' - don't know why!) This is what so many of us like about her; even on elderly hardware, like mine (13 and 16 yrs old respectively), the OS still runs fast enough to give much more powerful machines, running newish versions of Windoze, a really good run for their money. You ask Pup to do summat, she's done it and waiting for the next command while most other machines are still thinking about it.....
bushrat wrote:It would be nice to find a Puppy variant which supports Libre Office, NordVPN, and a decent encryption program but that will come later and I won't discuss that here.
My boy, once you start having a really good dig through the forums proper, you will not believe the sheer amount of software packages that have been compiled/built/packaged for Puppy over the years. And that's just the tip of the iceberg, really. Yes, there's the repositories of the distros each Pup is based on (more often than not either Ubuntu or Slackware), but by far the biggest percentage of packages, whether .pet or SFS, have been packaged by forum members, using Puppy's built-in tools, and usually hosted in various private 'cloud' accounts.

LibreOffice? Oh, yes.....

NordVPN? VPNs are something that different forum members have experimented with at times. I know quite a few packages have been built, but can't specifically state whether or not NordVPN has been covered. But then it would take a lifetime to trawl through every forum article there is.....every single post, since the first one back in 2005, is still available to view.

(The best place to look is the 'Additional Software (pets 'n' stuff)' forum.....and just work your way through the sections. Is NordVPN a provider, or a specific 'client'?)

I'm sure we can turn up what you want, even if it needs to be built from scratch. Several of our 'coders' really relish a challenge..! :lol:

bushrat

#19 Post by bushrat »

@foxpup - thanks, that's a useful post I'll use it for any copies I want to make - though for replicating drives I would probably just clone the entire stick. My previous posts were aimed at making a bootable Puppy using Windows software exclusively for those who have no access to any Linux installation. One of the things that bugged me in many accounts of making a Puppy stick from Windows is the authors, without notice, slipped in some utility used only in Linux forgetting that Windows users wanting to try Linux don't have access to such things! not to mention a whole lot of articles which never even stated they were using a Linux platform to install another Linux distro. Some people....

@Mike - I'm sure Linux can handle any normal user requirements in terms of apps. I guess I've got a fair amount of work to do seeing what's out there. Maybe I'll do a survey of Linux distros to see which one suits my purposes. I'm gonna stick with Puppy because I like the architecture, but might move to Slacko if it offers more app. options?

bigpup

#20 Post by bigpup »

I do not understand why Unetbootin gave you so much problems.
As I stated earlier, it worked fine for me and did exactly what it should do.

The different boot options, you may be seeing on the boot menu, do not do exactly what you may think they do.
Puppy is installed on your USB drive as a frugal install.
Best way to run Puppy.
It is a complete install. Frugal name is about how little space it uses on the drive.

A frugal install of Puppy always runs totally loaded into RAM.

Here is some info on what each of those boot options do.

menu entry
"Start xenialpup64" - normal boot.

"Start xenialpup64 - RAM only" - boot not using a save.

"Start xenialpup64 - No X" - boot and not start graphical X server. Boots to a input prompt.

"Start xenialpup64 - check filesystem" - normal boot, but does a file system check looking for errors to fix.

"Start xenialpup64 - No KMS" - disables kernel mode-setting. Some hardware does not support it well or not at all.

What is a Puppy save.
Running a Puppy frugal install.
Anything changed or added, is stored in the Puppy save.
When it normally boots. This save is loaded and provides the changes to the frugal install.
Added programs, setting changes, added data files, etc..... are stored in the save.
YaPI(any iso installer)