Borked filesystem... again! How to fix?

Booting, installing, newbie
Anniekin

Borked filesystem... again! How to fix?

#1 Post by Anniekin »

I moved then deleted an .sfs file without realizing it was mounted

Now gparted does not recognize the partitions and my PC is booting slower and slower especially in loading grub,

I am frugal installed on Windows partitions, Windows does still recognize the partitions, but I have chkdsk'ed many times to no avail

Should I check and repair filesystem using gparted or fsck from the terminal? Or is it the partition table? How do I fix that?

thx

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hello Anniekin.

First of all, my sympathies.

If you have a back-up, try copying it where the original was before reboot?

Was that sfs a puppy system sfs ? If so, it shouldn't be hard to copy it from
the iso, to where the Puppy system expects to find it.

Best I can suggest, I'm afraid.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

I am frugal installed on Windows partitions, Windows does still recognize the partitions, but I have chkdsk'ed many times to no avail

Should I check and repair filesystem using gparted or fsck from the terminal?
No!!!!!
If it is a Windows format on the partition you need to use Windows programs to check it or repair.

If you could tell us the specific sfs file you deleted that would be big help!!!!!
I will guess you deleted the zdrv sfs file for the Puppy you are using.
That is probably why Gparted does not want to work correctly, because the support programs it uses you deleted. Those programs could be in the zdrv sfs.

What specific Puppy version?????????????????????

May be easier to just do a new frugal install and try to use the old save with it.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Anniekin

#4 Post by Anniekin »

Just to clarify, I'm looking for help to fix the filesystem and partition table, not recover the .sfs file, how do I fix them?

Anniekin

#5 Post by Anniekin »

bigpup wrote:

No!!!!!
If it is a Windows format on the partition you need to use Windows programs to check it or repair.

If you could tell us the specific sfs file you deleted that would be big help!!!!!
That is probably why Gparted does not want to work correctly, because the support programs it uses you deleted. Those programs could be in the zdrv sfs.

May be easier to just do a new frugal install and try to use the old save with it.
chkdsk'ed many times to no avail don't know what else to do from windows

so i'm guessing it's the partition table is there a way to fix it from linux?

the .sfs was just something I wanted to install and clicked on it thinking load-sfs would be the default action, moved then deleted it when it didn't work without realizing it was mounted as the default action, i redownloaded and loaded it correctly afterwards

Anniekin

#6 Post by Anniekin »

bigpup wrote:

No!!!!!

chkdsk'ed many times to no avail don't know what else to do from windows

so i'm guessing it's the partition table is there a way to fix it from linux?

the .sfs was just something I wanted to install and clicked on it thinking load-sfs would be the default action, moved then deleted it when it didn't work without realizing it was mounted as the default action, i redownloaded and loaded it correctly afterwards

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

If Windows can run from the partition or see and access the partitions.
There is nothing wrong with the partition table.

Windows chkdsk does not give you any errors or show it fixed anything?
Run Windows defrag on the partition and see if it finds and fixes anything.
Window formats do get fragmented and that can cause problems with Puppy.
Only Windows defrag program can fix it.

If you still have Puppy problems after running defrag.

Best to just do a fresh frugal install of the Puppy version and try to use the old save with it.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Anniekin

#8 Post by Anniekin »

chkdsk fixes tons of errors everytime i run it, i'll try defrag, i understand it gets fragmented but i'm pretty sure this is a result of my error with the .sfs file

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

chkdsk fixes tons of errors everytime i run it,
What are the errors it finds to fix??????????????[/quote]
You know, we ask questions for a good reason! :shock:

If chkdsk is constantly finding errors and unable to fix them.
There is something wrong and those error messages are good clues as to what it is!!!! :shock:
Last edited by bigpup on Fri 20 Apr 2018, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

"Ghost" SFS Maybe?

#10 Post by mikeslr »

I'm guessing. But as nothing else seems to work :idea:

When an SFS is mounted/loaded a file is written to the system creating the link to the SFS. I think in /etc [part of Puppy's system I know little about]. When that SFS is unmounted/unloaded properly that file is deleted. By deleting the SFS before it was unmounted/unloaded the 'linking' file may have remained on your system. This might explain why your system is running slowly: it is frequently attempting to follow the broken link.

My guess is that deleting it would resolve the problem. Unfortunately, I don't recall where that link would have been written. But perhaps someone with greater knowledge of how Puppy's system works can follow up if this idea makes sense.

mikesLr

backi

#11 Post by backi »

Unfortunately, I don't recall where that link would have been written. But perhaps someone with greater knowledge of how Puppy's system works can follow up if this idea makes sense.
Maybe on /mnt

mikeslr

#12 Post by mikeslr »

Good guess backi, but no. And I think I was also wrong about /etc. Now I think the links are created at /intrd, and have names such as /pup_ro1, pup_ro2...pup_z and a symbolic link, pup_rw, to initrd/mnt/tmps. On Xenialpup64 initrd/mnt/tmps shows images of puppy_xenialpup64_xxx.sfs and zdrv_xenialpup64_xxx.sfs and two folders, pup_rw and tmp.

If the files and folders in (and within, recursively) those are examined, do any of them appear as icons in red indicating a broken link?

@ Anniekin, did you follow up musher0's suggestion above? We know you want to fix the file system, not recover the SFS. But to fix the file system you may have to replace the SFS where Puppy can find it in order to properly unload it.

Exactly what SFS did you delete? Knowing that may be important to identify which file from the pup_ro etc. folders may have to be deleted, edited, what have you. Messing with the wrong file may --very likely will-- just add to your problems.

mikesLr

Anniekin

#13 Post by Anniekin »

I deleted a compiz sfs

Semme

#14 Post by Semme »

You can access this save from a "live" boot, correct? Then if you haven't yet given up..

Re-dwnld and unpack the correct compiz-reloaded build, then individually copy its contents back.
Attachments
easy_peasy.jpg
(27.49 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

bigpup

#15 Post by bigpup »

Anniekin wrote:chkdsk fixes tons of errors everytime i run it,
bigpup wrote:What are the errors it finds to fix??????????????
You know, we ask questions for a good reason! :shock:

If chkdsk is constantly finding errors and unable to fix them.
There is something wrong and those error messages are good clues as to what it is!!!! :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)