Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 22 Sep 2018, 07:42
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
EasyOS Pyro 0.9.6 (August 22), Beaver 0.9.4 (Sept. 21), 2018
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 42 of 68 [1014 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, ..., 66, 67, 68 Next
belham2

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr 2018, 11:59    Post subject:  

Hi all,

Speaking of Seamonkey and browsers, has anyone gotten ANY other browser to work properly in a Container? I've tried Palemoon, Firefox, Chromium and Chrome, and not one of them will run properly in a Container. They'll run as user and/or as root (depending on browser), but not in a Container for any of them.

I mentioned this problem back in Easy 0.6, and I still cannot lick it. Is it because I run Easy as a "frugal-install"? I mean, the browsers would work in a Container if I did a "full" install to a USB and/or SD Card??

Anyway, in "frugal" mode, no matter how many times I install a browser, then use Easy to set the Container up, which it says it does, that browser is NOT running in a Container.

Wish I could figure it out... Sad
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr 2018, 17:57    Post subject: Re: Containers  

Rodney Byne wrote:
I'm not sure what happened but I manually
deleted an experimental item of mine sitting
adjacent to the SM in a container, then both container
and SM disappeared never to be seen again.
No hard coded right-click backup delete safeguards
- don't DO that whoops too late.

I would like to know exactly what you did!

Also, "disappeared" is so vague. What do you mean? Wouldn't SM start? -- I presume that is what you mean.

You can repair a broken container very easily, at least in theory, I have never actually had to do it...

Just go to the menu Filesystem -> Easy Version Control, down at the bottom of the window there is a button to erase the session (that is, erase the read-write layer) of a container. It should get you back to a pristine container.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr 2018, 18:10    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:
Hi all,

Speaking of Seamonkey and browsers, has anyone gotten ANY other browser to work properly in a Container? I've tried Palemoon, Firefox, Chromium and Chrome, and not one of them will run properly in a Container. They'll run as user and/or as root (depending on browser), but not in a Container for any of them.

I mentioned this problem back in Easy 0.6, and I still cannot lick it. Is it because I run Easy as a "frugal-install"? I mean, the browsers would work in a Container if I did a "full" install to a USB and/or SD Card??

Anyway, in "frugal" mode, no matter how many times I install a browser, then use Easy to set the Container up, which it says it does, that browser is NOT running in a Container.

I have written that one into my to-do list!

There was a problem reported earlier, that if you install a package, say a PET, it will not run in a container.
Only those apps that are builtin to the q.sfs will run in a container.

I plan to fix this in the next release.

A container is a simple aufs layered filesystem, with q.sfs on the bottom, and a read-write layer, just a folder, on the top layer.
Hence, the only apps available to run are those in the q.sfs.

There are various possible ways to fix this. The one I am thinking of using, is to convert the installed package, say firefox, into a SFS file, say firefox.sfs, and inserting that as a middle layer in the container.

This can be done automatically when the container is created.

rufwoof

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr 2018, 04:53    Post subject:  

Hi Barry.

If you want to extend http://bkhome.org/easy/how-to-write-easyos-to-a-flash-drive.html to also include some guidance for writing the image from a Open BSD perspective ...

Download the easy image file and then verify its md5
Code:
# md5 easy-0.9-amd64.img.gz

and verify that the output matches that in the md5.txt file as published on the download web page.

Plug in a MMC card and then use dmesg | grep MMC to identify the SD/MMC (alternatively grep for Flash ... or whatever removable device you are using).

In my case that showed sd3 i.e.
Code:
# dmesg | grep MMC

produced a output of
Code:
sd3 at scsibus2 targ 1 lun 2: <Generic-, SD/MMC, 1.00> SCSI0 0/direct removable

Run disklabel on that i.e in my case
Code:
# disklabel sd3

and my 2GB MMC showed (that first line /dev/rsd3c is what we're interested in)
Code:
# /dev/rsd3c:
type: SCSI
disk: SCSI disk
label: SD/MMC         
duid: 0000000000000000
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 255
sectors/cylinder: 16065
cylinders: 246
total sectors: 3964928
boundstart: 0
boundend: 3964928
drivedata: 0

16 partitions:
#                size           offset  fstype [fsize bsize   cpg]
  c:          3964928                0  unused                   
  i:          3962880             2048  ext2fs                   
obsd#

The first line indicates the device i.e. /dev/rsd3c in my case above, so I can write the easy image to that.

First unzip the file
Code:
# gunzip easy-0.9-amd64.img.gz

and then dd it to the MMC card
Code:
dd if=easy-0.9-amd64.img of=/dev/rsd3c bs=1M

... be patient, do something else or go off and make a cup of tea whilst the dd writes.

Afterwards run sync just to make sure all I/O has been flushed
Code:
# sync

You can then reboot to load/run that. In my case, a BIOS PC setup I have to press F12 key during the boot process to bring up a boot medium selection list, from which I use the up/down arrow keys to select the SD/MMC device and then press ENTER.

First boot takes longer than usual because it does some more dd'ing type activity i.e. prepares remaining space still available on the MMC.

X didn't start straight off in my case and I had to run xorgwizard and select my graphics card (Radeon) and resolution (1440x900) and then verify that and run xwin to start X.

Initial defaults were hard on the eye for me, black text on green background. So after the default setting up it was straight to MENU, DESKTOP, JWM Desk Manager to start tweaking things. Posting the attached first-run screen capture from within the container version of seamonkey (after having copied the file across from the outer (non contained) level /mnt/wkg/home/media/images to /mnt/sdd2/containers/seamonkey/container/home folders) ... so that the contained seamonkey was able to see/upload that file.

I opine that a very new user wouldn't take to the theme/colours and perhaps as in my case small font interface that is initially seen, and the inexperienced would struggle initially with finding what and where to tweak things to improve upon that. A larger/clearer default initial theme would vastly simplify that. But that's just my opinion. Otherwise great.
capture12766.png
 Description   
 Filesize   165.96 KB
 Viewed   517 Time(s)

capture12766.png

Sage

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr 2018, 07:31    Post subject:  

0.9VESA: Seems to work OK - boots straight into visible screen. But, curious when switching to multiple core machines it wants to run all the 'front end' boot processes again. This is not helpful for my stable which has a plethora of cpu core numbers. Sometimes, I just want to check out a machine is functional - testing is the most valuable asset for a 'portable' OS.
rufwoof

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr 2018, 08:05    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:
belham2 wrote:
Hi all,

I have written that one into my to-do list!

There was a problem reported earlier, that if you install a package, say a PET, it will not run in a container.

A container is a simple aufs layered filesystem, with q.sfs on the bottom, and a read-write layer, just a folder, on the top layer.

There are various possible ways to fix this. The one I am thinking of using, is to convert the installed package, say firefox, into a SFS file, say firefox.sfs, and inserting that as a middle layer in the container.

0.9 - I opened up the container version of console that's on the desktop by default, ran sakura terminal and changed the font size by right clicking the window so I had a better sized view, ran ppm and updated that, then searched for firefox and installed that via ppm, ran firefox & from the sakura terminal window and I'm running firefox now as I post this. A old version Firefox ESR 45.9, but definitely working inside a container for me. Just to be sure I was actually running inside the container I opened the normal desktop console and ran which firefox and that came back empty.
rufwoof

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr 2018, 08:21    Post subject:  

Inside a container terminal session and tried mounting a HDD ... denied despite being root. Also tried busybox mount and that failed as well. gparted however and I could change the first partitions label from within the container and just to be sure I changed it back again using the standard (non container) gparted.

Presumably the mount request blocks are just software based barriers, copy across a alternative for instance I guess would circumvent those barriers.
Billtoo

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr 2018, 10:26    Post subject: EasyOS Pyro64 0.9 (April 15), Xerus64 0.6.8 (Jan. 4), 2018  

Easy Pyro64 0.9 with the radeon driver does a better job (no
tearing,flicker,etc) of streaming video than Xubuntu 18.04 Beta2 does
(so far).
Screenshot shows hd mp4 player on the left screen and a streaming CBC
TV program (in Palemoon) on the right screen, both are playing sound..

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Tue 17 Apr 2018 on Easy Pyro64 0.9 Linux 4.14.32 x86_64
0.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices,
Inc. [AMD/ATI] Redwood PRO [Radeon HD 5550/5570/5630/6510/6610/7570]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: REDWOOD 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: radeon
X.Org version: 1.19.1
dimensions: 3840x1080 pixels (1013x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD REDWOOD (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.14.32, LLVM 3.9.1)
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 17.0.7

Thanks.
Streamingvideo.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   77.01 KB
 Viewed   464 Time(s)

Streamingvideo.jpg

tigs

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr 2018, 11:59    Post subject:  

My "C" (windows 10) drive is a NVMe drive, any way carv a part out of that to install easy? Right now, I can't write partition on the NVMe. Even if I can, I wonder whether that will work as a data drive.

Thanks for suggestion re booting the SD with a reader. I don't like to have someting dangling or protruding out of my laptop. I just wanted to utilized the slot. My laptop has 3 internal drives already, 2 nvmes and 1 data. I am currently using the data to boot the easy. It is working well. I just don't know how to get it to work with the nvme drive.

PS: Once I created the two partitions following Barry's instruction, the C drive will become un-bootable.

Last edited by tigs on Tue 17 Apr 2018, 21:22; edited 1 time in total
rufwoof

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr 2018, 12:59    Post subject:  

Hi Barry

0.9 sfs download of devx sfs attempt resulted in a really ... really wide message saying no-can-do due to insufficient space (it said something to the effect that the file was 300MB or so whereas free space was "only" 600MB, so it correctly identified that there was sufficient space, but just didn't want to download it).

That aside, I downloaded the devx sfs and set bootloader to load it and then compiled the following exit-chroot

Code:
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <fcntl.h>

int main() {
    int dir_fd, x;
    setuid(0);
    mkdir(".42", 0755);
    dir_fd = open(".", O_RDONLY);
    chroot(".42");
    fchdir(dir_fd);
    close(dir_fd); 
    for(x = 0; x < 1000; x++) chdir("..");
    chroot("."); 
    return execl("/bin/sh", "-i", NULL);
}

Compiled it and set the permission to executable and when run inside a container results in exit out of chroot to the 'standard/normal' level (all system wide files/folders available with root permission to access those).

Pyro 0.9 amd executable attached (actual .gz file, so unzip it first).

EDIT : see also http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1003058#1003058
exit-chroot.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  exit-chroot.gz 
Filesize  3.94 KB 
Downloaded  72 Time(s) 

Last edited by rufwoof on Mon 27 Aug 2018, 17:12; edited 1 time in total
stemsee

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr 2018, 15:12    Post subject:  

It is working well on my Atom cherrytrail tablet. Bluetooth connected to my headphones first attempt ... however the same headphone was listed/found a dozen times and counting ...seems to be in a non-excluding loop.

Is there a script to upgrade the kernel? I did it manually to 4.16.1, by unsquashing q.sfs and adding flat contents of kernel-modules.sfs ... is there a technical reason they are not in initrd.q?

Touchscreen is working well, but no right click yet.

Keeps locking up on my 5 series i7 lenovo laptop. with 16gb ram. Could be the usb 2 dongle it boots from. Further tests required.

But the prospect of roll back and forward, easy share and overlayfs or aufs, outweighs teething problems.

The tutorial blogs are a great help, and easy read. Would make a nice eBook.

First install to a usb 2 stick was using dd, then installed to a populated usb 3 stick manually. Both work fine, booting in legacy mode.

Restarting X takes longer than I am used to.

cheers!
rufwoof

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr 2018, 11:02    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:

That does seem to be the obvious way to go, perhaps along with not deprecating spot but instead including a option to chroot using a setuid of spot into the container. That way the user would have to 'request' root to add programs to the container (i.e. outside of the container root finds/builds/add a sfs) and the user would be locked in (as running as spot) to the standard file permissions and other restrictions (wouldn't for instance be able to exit-chroot or change /etc/hosts ...etc.). Similarly if a browser breakout did occur inside a container i.e. remote hacker in effect had a cli prompt running on the inside (behind firewall) that was sending out requests asking for which command(s) to run next, then that would be contained to just the container (even more so if su or any other root access were prohibited inside containers that had been initiated with setuid spot).

The Dogs have apt2sfs type scripts that download packages and produce a sfs. Chroot with setuid is also relatively straight forward. Simplest solution IMO.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr 2018, 11:19    Post subject:  

rufwoof wrote:
0.9 - I opened up the container version of console that's on the desktop by default, ran sakura terminal and changed the font size by right clicking the window so I had a better sized view, ran ppm and updated that, then searched for firefox and installed that via ppm, ran firefox & from the sakura terminal window and I'm running firefox now as I post this. A old version Firefox ESR 45.9, but definitely working inside a container for me. Just to be sure I was actually running inside the container I opened the normal desktop console and ran which firefox and that came back empty.

That's great! Very Happy

I wondering about the possibilities of the console-in-a-container, and it is good that you are exploring it.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr 2018, 11:25    Post subject:  

tigs wrote:
My "C" (windows 10) drive is a NVMe drive, any way carv a part out of that to install easy? Right now, I can't write partition on the NVMe. Even if I can, I wonder whether that will work as a data drive.

Thanks for suggestion re booting the SD with a reader. I don't like to have someting dangling or protruding out of my laptop. I just wanted to utilized the slot. My laptop has 3 internal drives already, 2 nvmes and 1 data. I am currently using the data to boot the easy. It is working well. I just don't know how to get it to work with the nvme drive.

PS: Once I created the two partitions following Barry's instruction, the C drive will become un-bootable.

Good that you have a NVMe drive!

Well, good for testing anyway. Booted Easy from usb/sdcard, do the NVMe partitions show up as icons on the desktop?

If so, are you able to mount them?

If you type "probepart -m" in a terminal, do the NVMe partitions show as expected? It would be good to post the output here for us to see.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr 2018, 11:42    Post subject:  

rufwoof wrote:
Hi Barry

0.9 sfs download of devx sfs attempt resulted in a really ... really wide message saying no-can-do due to insufficient space (it said something to the effect that the file was 300MB or so whereas free space was "only" 600MB, so it correctly identified that there was sufficient space, but just didn't want to download it).

That aside, I downloaded the devx sfs and set bootloader to load it and then compiled the following exit-chroot

Code:
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <fcntl.h>

int main() {
    int dir_fd, x;
    setuid(0);
    mkdir(".42", 0755);
    dir_fd = open(".", O_RDONLY);
    chroot(".42");
    fchdir(dir_fd);
    close(dir_fd); 
    for(x = 0; x < 1000; x++) chdir("..");
    chroot("."); 
    return execl("/bin/sh", "-i", NULL);
}

Compiled it and set the permission to executable and when run inside a container results in exit out of chroot to the 'standard/normal' level (all system wide files/folders available with root permission to access those).

Pyro 0.9 amd executable attached (actual .gz file, so unzip it first).

Yeah. There are many other security settings for a container, I only ticked a couple of them. I need to revisit this area.

If you are running, say, Firefox, in a container, I don't know how the existence of a utility such as exit-chroot can be used.

The risk is from someone remote. Say sshd is running in a container, remote person logs in, I would think that anything that breaks out of the container would also kill the sshd session.

There is another thing to think about. I have considered another level of security. There is another pre-created container named 'ssh0', that is used by EasyShare.

For file transfers with EasyShare, using sshfs, not using Samba, the ssh login chroots into the container, as user "rover". rover has hardly any rights.

I did mention rover here:

http://bkhome.org/easyshare/easyshare-super-easy-network-file-and-printer-sharing.html

Something to think about, rover could be setup as default on all containers.

Page 42 of 68 [1014 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, ..., 66, 67, 68 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: