Palemoon problems, replace? How?

Booting, installing, newbie
retry3

Palemoon problems, replace? How?

#1 Post by retry3 »

Hey all -
Several Browser problems/questions; this just first one.

Palemoon, the built-in browser on my Tahr 605, sends that little temperature icon in the bottom tray from 39 degrees to 49 then 59+ almost at once when I click on the browser icon.
It only used to do that when I went to certain sites, but now its when I just open the browser.
The screen will quickly start being slow to clicks and then freezes and I have to kill it to get out.

I installed the FireFox pet and Chromium pet as an escape for now. Lesser problems with them that I will ask about later.

I think there is a way to delete built-in features like Palemoon that I saw someplace, but I would like to know if that is the best way and if I should also remove the other browsers at the same time, or before, and which would be be the easiest to manage.
My good bookmarks are in Chromium and I don't want to lose them.

I think I have a frugal install of Tahr 606.

TIA,

Regards,
retry3

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Not using Palemoon and keep it installed, is not a problem. It can not actually uninstall, but only be white listed, so it is not seen anymore.
It is in the main sfs and that stuff can only be white listed, not actually removed.

Have you done any updates to Palemoon?
menu>Internet>Palemoon-updater

There have been a few buggy updates, but the latest version 27.8.3 seems to be working OK for me.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

Re: Palemoon problems, replace? How?

#3 Post by mikeslr »

retry3 wrote:.
retry3
Hi retry3

Left-click the icon at Chromium's top right which shows 3 vertical dots. Scroll down to Bookmarks, slide over to Bookmark Manager. Left-Click it. On the window which opens, left-click the Organize Tab, then slide to Export Bookmarks to HTML file. [Notice the Import Bookmarks listing just above it]. Left-Click the Export listing. If your Chromium is running as Spot, you can only Export to the Spot Folder, maybe only Downloads in that. Later, open rox/file-manager to /root/spot/downloads and copy/move the bookmark.html to somewhere safe.

This bookmark.html file can be imported into any web-browser, 'though the routine to import will vary. In Chromium and other Google-chrome clones it's just the reverse of exporting, including ---when running as Spot, you can only import after copying the file to /spot or /spot/downloads.

As bigpup said, removing the builtin Palemoon application doesn't really do anything. It just white's out the OS's link to the application [until you remaster]. What you can do is open [Right-click] /usr/share/applications/palemoon.desktop and palemoon-updater.desktop in a text editor (geany) and edit the Category argument to read "Categories=Z-Internet-browser". Note "X" was changed to "Z". Since Z-Internet-browser is not an argument recognized by Puppies, Menu>Exit>Restart-x, or open a terminal and type "fixmenus" will remove them from the Menus. You can also remove Palemoon from the taskbar. But I'm not on a stock Tahrpup now so can't provide instructions. By just changing "X" to "Z" it is easy to recover Palemoon if and when a updated version works well on your system.

Personally, I find fredx181's Firefox Quantum (58.0.2) portable with apulse All-in, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112376 the most trouble-free web-browser.

mikesLr

rufwoof

#4 Post by rufwoof »

I keep my main bookmarks on rox pinboards/desktops (rox links all contained in a single web links/bookmarks folder, but easier to locate when they're on separate pinboards i.e. computing, general, investing .... etc. separate pinboards). With a browser full screen click showdesktop and click one of those web links type action rather than clicking bookmarks icon in the browser...etc. I have frequently used pinboards in my panel, so flipping between them is easy (basically those icons just invoke a rox -p ...panelname... command), and of course you can store files/images etc. alongside those bookmarks.

Also means they're portable bookmarks between browsers :) Another benefit is you can just wipe out ~/.cache/mozilla and ~/.mozilla or whatever periodically and you only have to reinstall your browser extensions, and not have to worry about bookmarks.

Attached image for instance and my "computing" pinboard is the second icon from the right in the top panel. From that pinboard I can access the web 'bookmarks' links, alongside other associated actions (drag/drop .jwmrc desktop icon onto the leafpad text editor in the top panel for instance to open that up for editing ...etc).
Attachments
s.png
(137.4 KiB) Downloaded 373 times

retry3

#5 Post by retry3 »

bigpup wrote:Not using Palemoon and keep it installed, is not a problem. It can not actually uninstall, but only be white listed, so it is not seen anymore.
It is in the main sfs and that stuff can only be white listed, not actually removed.

Have you done any updates to Palemoon?
menu>Internet>Palemoon-updater

There have been a few buggy updates, but the latest version 27.8.3 seems to be working OK for me.
Thanks, that white listing info really helps clarify things.

I will take your advice and first try an update on Palemoon.

Regards,
retry3

retry3

Re: Palemoon problems, replace? How?

#6 Post by retry3 »

mikeslr wrote:
retry3 wrote:.
retry3
Hi retry3

Left-click the icon at Chromium's top right which shows 3 vertical dots. Scroll down to Bookmarks, slide over to Bookmark Manager. Left-Click it. On the window which opens, left-click the Organize Tab, then slide to Export Bookmarks to HTML file. [Notice the Import Bookmarks listing just above it]. Left-Click the Export listing. If your Chromium is running as Spot, you can only Export to the Spot Folder, maybe only Downloads in that. Later, open rox/file-manager to /root/spot/downloads and copy/move the bookmark.html to somewhere safe.

This bookmark.html file can be imported into any web-browser, 'though the routine to import will vary. In Chromium and other Google-chrome clones it's just the reverse of exporting, including ---when running as Spot, you can only import after copying the file to /spot or /spot/downloads.

As bigpup said, removing the builtin Palemoon application doesn't really do anything. It just white's out the OS's link to the application [until you remaster]. What you can do is open [Right-click] /usr/share/applications/palemoon.desktop and palemoon-updater.desktop in a text editor (geany) and edit the Category argument to read "Categories=Z-Internet-browser". Note "X" was changed to "Z". Since Z-Internet-browser is not an argument recognized by Puppies, Menu>Exit>Restart-x, or open a terminal and type "fixmenus" will remove them from the Menus. You can also remove Palemoon from the taskbar. But I'm not on a stock Tahrpup now so can't provide instructions. By just changing "X" to "Z" it is easy to recover Palemoon if and when a updated version works well on your system.

Personally, I find fredx181's Firefox Quantum (58.0.2) portable with apulse All-in, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112376 the most trouble-free web-browser.

mikesLr
Thanks Mike, those detailed instructions are what I needed.

I will give that FF Quanrum a shot, I assume that it would be best to delete the FF I have now before installing the Quantum.

Regards,
retry3

retry3

#7 Post by retry3 »

rufwoof wrote:
I keep my main bookmarks on rox pinboards/desktops (rox links all contained in a single web links/bookmarks folder, but easier to locate when they're on separate pinboards i.e. computing, general, investing .... etc. separate pinboards). With a browser full screen click showdesktop and click one of those web links type action rather than clicking bookmarks icon in the browser...etc. I have frequently used pinboards in my panel, so flipping between them is easy (basically those icons just invoke a rox -p ...panelname... command), and of course you can store files/images etc. alongside those bookmarks.

Also means they're portable bookmarks between browsers :) Another benefit is you can just wipe out ~/.cache/mozilla and ~/.mozilla or whatever periodically and you only have to reinstall your browser extensions, and not have to worry about bookmarks.

Attached image for instance and my "computing" pinboard is the second icon from the right in the top panel. From that pinboard I can access the web 'bookmarks' links, alongside other associated actions (drag/drop .jwmrc desktop icon onto the leafpad text editor in the top panel for instance to open that up for editing ...etc).
This looks very interesting and something I would want to take a stab at after I get the suggestions from Bigpup and Mike working; very educational to me, Thanks.

Regards,
retry3

mikeslr

#8 Post by mikeslr »

Hi retry3,

"I will give that FF Quanrum a shot, I assume that it would be best to delete the FF I have now before installing the Quantum."

Maybe not. FF Quantum is not only portable, it is 'self-contained': so designed that the 'profile' it uses --your bookmarks, addons, settings and such-- are located in its folder. Consequently, you could run both the old firefox and the portable. This can be handy as not all addons built for pre-Quantum firefox will work with Quantum.

To avoid confusion, before installing FF Quantum, you could file-browse to /usr/share/applications and rename the firefox.desktop file "firefox-Old.desktop", then open it in geany (text editor) and edit the line reading "Name= something" to Name=firefox-old. [Sorry, I'm guessing. This may not be necessary. I run FF Quantum from /mnt/home and had to create a desktop file. So I don't recall what the "virgin" desktop file looked like. At any rate, editing the 'old' fire-fox's desktop file can't hurt].

mikesLr

retry3

#9 Post by retry3 »

Hey mikesLr -

Thanks for the info on deleting FF etc, will make life a little easier now. Looks like the next best bet.

Hey Bigpup -

I updated Palemoon after my last post but still no joy. It went up in temperature and froze things again, but not quite as quickly as before.
Time for Plan B, C, + . . .

Regards,
retry3

greengeek

#10 Post by greengeek »

Hi retry - the fact that this problem only used to occur when you visited certain sites suggests that you may have "acquired" some change to the Palemoon defaults that now sends Palemoon into a spin.

Those changes are probably now bound into your savefile (which I assume you have created). Could you try booting with the savefile hidden so that puppy can't find it - and see if Palemoon still has the problem?

I think a lot of the "slowdown" and "overload" problems with browsers are not necessarily the fault of the browser itself - more the fault of some sort of "klingon" payload that gets saved from previous sessions and they have to drag around like a sheep dag.

retry3

#11 Post by retry3 »

[quote="greengeek"]Hi retry - the fact that this problem only used to occur when you visited certain sites suggests that you may have "acquired" some change to the Palemoon defaults that now sends Palemoon into a spin.

Those changes are probably now bound into your savefile (which I assume you have created). Could you try booting with the savefile hidden so that puppy can't find it - and see if Palemoon still has the problem?

Thanks greengeek '
I did a file cleanup and booted into pfix=ram and then opened Palemoon.
It spiked the temperature right away and froze things for about 15 - 20 seconds, then went back down to normal quickly.

When I visited sites it did the same thing at the very beginning and every time I clicked on something on the site.

This is a great improvement but still slows down browsing very much.

Next I will try a purge at pfix time and see what happens.

I hope this gives some clues as to how to fix it.

Regards,
retry3

Moat

#12 Post by Moat »

I'm kinda' curious what the specs are on your computer. If an older, low-spec machine, it's conceivable that Palemoon handles the downloading/loading of website data (a quite CPU intensive process) a bit less efficiently than Firefox or Chromium - and if your machine is already stretched to it's limit... freeze-up.

I'd also recommend installing some Javascript/Flash disabling addons to get those resource-hungry tasks under control, as well as going into preferences and setting the browser to limit or delete the cache and history on exit.

Just some quick thoughts, FWIW...

Bob