Installation Upgrade From 2.12 to 2.14

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
sgk

Installation Upgrade From 2.12 to 2.14

#1 Post by sgk »

I have been using Puppy 2.12-SeaMonkey since about the time that it came out and have had no real trouble with it. I just decided to upgrade to Puppy 2.14-SeaMonkey and the first install from a burned iso onto a CD failed to get past two lines of boot code. I dumped the CD-RW, re-burned the iso onto a new CD-RW and everything went fine until I got to the choice of Xorg, or Vesa. All that I will say is that I had tried the lowest to the highest settings as I could go with my Panasonic, PanaSync E50 monitor. I kept having to go back to Xwin, or Xorgwizard, but to no avail. Yes, I tried Vesa and it took me right back to the prompt.

I have a pretty new SiS board with a built in video card and all of my other Linux's that I have tried, including the one that I use most often, PCLinuxOS, which is installed, and the latest Debian (installed) that I am curious about, have worked with no video problems.

I do not really have a lot of time to investigate ad infinitum because I have a small non-profit business that I am already behind in because of Windows XP-SP2's hangups since the damn OS came out. I am working on trying to move my whole routine onto Linux, namely PCLinuxOS and Puppy on a flash drive. I started working with Linux since around 1994 and I am glad to see Linux (GNU/Linux) get this far so I can say goodbye to BBB (Big Bad Bill).

Thanks.

Emu Dan

installation upgrade

#2 Post by Emu Dan »

I too am having the same trouble with upgrading from Puppy 2.12 to 2.14.
X.org had no troubles running on 2.12. I have tried both X.org and Xvesa with 2.14 with no luck. It keeps kicking me back to the console screen. I am running from the boot CD with the Puppy save config file on the hard drive. I have tried the 2.14 disk on 2 other machines without any troubles in X.org, but I only have trouble on the machine that I did the upgrade to.

buttered_monkey

possibly....

#3 Post by buttered_monkey »

you are having the same problem as me wrt default fonts...? check your /tmp/xerrors.log file

see:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 19&t=15820

any ideas?

EDIT:
by the way, I am running puppy 2.14 on a couple of machines and this only happened on the flash installation machine, not the hard drive base installation. This might be related, I guess....