Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 20 Apr 2018, 05:09
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Music2go-Artful
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
Smithy

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar 2018, 04:27    Post subject:  Music2go-Artful
Subject description: A take on Peebee's Artful Ardvark

Foist of all, there are two things that I may never completely understand.
1. JWM
2. Puppy File associations and the relationship between rox.sourceforge.net, etc xdg rox.sourceforge.net
usr/local/apps, usr/local/bin and any other places related!

So in relation to numbers one and two, here is my take on Peebee’s Artful Pup.

Desktop is Openbox. The tint2 panel has a really easy editor, so you can autohide the tray, resize it to suit, adjust transparency with a suitable compositor (uh cpu cycles) and put your applications on the tray that you use a lot.

Five good wallpapers in from puppy members past and present.
The menu has been gone through to reduce the clutter and remove duplicates.
Fixed up a lot of the mime icons. Some escape me due to point 2.
The fdrv and ydrv drivers are incorporated in the main sfs.
Hard Info shows sensors and graphics.
Xmplay is handling audio wavs, mp3 and midi. Gnome-mplayer for .wma if you come across those.
Focuswriter experimental as rtf word processor, with Abiword in the background to handle .doc, docx. Focuswriter “puppified” a bit so it is only three clicks to actually change the font and size of font (just click on the pallette icon in the toolbar).
A little gimp to supplement mtpaint, for those times when mtpaint won’t cut it.
And there’s a “badly behaved application monitor” on the taskbar, which is in fact gatotray.
This will show up what’s going on with cpu activity, input/ output wait state, freezes, overloads etc. BBAM.

It’s been stripped down a bit for clarity, so you may have to put your samba, yad and stuff like that back in, but it prints, you can write a letter to your gran to thank her for the easter eggs and put some graphics/ text on a poster.

I noticed that in Artful generally, when you put a dvd or cd in, it takes ages to come up on the desktop, but I think Barry and others were optimising those bits of code. The new puppies seem a bit “sleepy” on a couple of things, but it could be that they are optimised for the latest processors maybe?
It would be good to be able to drop in the optimised etc, var scripts at some point and I think Musher had something to stop it being so chatty on errors logs which he mentions is an Ubuntu thing.
What I think would be good, would be able to drop in replacement Adrvs (if that is established as the browser drive) and also a couple of replacement vmlinux and zdrv and initrd.gz, of an earlier vintage kernel 3x, 2x, so that older machines will run ok on the newer puppies without faffing around. This one won’t boot on an old atom, but if I shove an earlier kernel in, it boots fine.

As ever, Long Live The Pup! And congrats to whoever is tweaking the graphics on the new puppies, they are now exceeding windows 7 on the crisp fonts and general look, at least on my machines. And thanks to Peebee and Radky for lighting the pathway on how the new pups are put together. If you find anything busted on it, take it to home depot or kwikfit or better still fix it ur sen Smile

http://smokey01.com/Smithy/Artful%20ardvark/music2go-artful.iso
ally

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar 2018, 06:44    Post subject:  

mirrored here: http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_Artfulpup

Smile
Smithy

PostPosted: Sat 07 Apr 2018, 05:37    Post subject:  

Thanks for putting it up on archive Ally.
This is Audacity.
I am putting it up because the puppy package manager is bringing up missing files for the application.
I've tweaked a couple of things like the plus and minus keys for zoom in and out. Not looked at Audacity for a while and there are some improvements.

I think it will only work with the above ISO, it might work with other puppies, but I haven't tested.
Anyways seems sweet.

http://smokey01.com/Smithy/Artful%20ardvark/audacity-2.1.2-2-artful.pet
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: