My data is mine: how Blockchain will change us

For discussions about security.
belham2

My data is mine: how Blockchain will change us

#1 Post by belham2 »

Hi all,

With our personal data, we as online consumers, are always wondering what next, great breaches are going to occur. Or how our personal, intimate date is stored and/or handled after we have set something up online. It is ennervating, at times mind-numbing, worrying & wondering if our data is safe or if it is not.

Over the past year, one thing I've kept mentioning (disclosure; I study & research blockchain in my spare time---specifically applied to financial and healthcare institutions) is how blockchain is going to change how we, as users, and our personal data, are presented online in the great worldwide web. Also, Blockchain will wrestle the control & privacy issues back into our own hands, and not into others (think Facebook, Google, Apple, Microsoft, etc, etc). Please don't associate Blockchain with cryptocurrencys, for you'll miss the forest for the trees.

Blockchain is not a panacea. Nothing is, well, that is, until maybe someday in the future when sentient online software robots surpass our intelligence & we can unleash them on our personal behalf tp police and control how we are presented online. Until that time, blockchain is going to change things on orders of magnitudes compared to what goes on today in terms of our personal data & whether that data remains secure and, importantly, is owned only by us. The big bullseye blockchain will achieve (and it is currently doing this in tests) is the following:

"....Blockchain's structure allows people, ordinary people, to set up online accounts that can securely hold valuable personal information without having to trust a single entity that can hoard, abuse or lose control of the data, as happened with Facebook and the consumer credit reporting agency Equifax and countless others before & surely countless others to come....."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/01/tech ... v=top-news

It's a 'general' article, purposely selected because it is 'general' in nature. Still, it's worth the read if you grapple with what Blockchain truly is, why it has little to do with cryptocurreny only, and what its potential is in being realized, even today.

8Geee

#2 Post by 8Geee »

So what is preventing a credit-reporting entity from setting up blockchain accounts, and NOT sharing the info with the subject?. As I see it blockchain entities are not specifically prohibited from doing this. The big surge in blockchain interest is in off-book accounting that can't be found.

I think its a bad example, but illustrates the reverse 'bad-guy' implications by an otherwise 'good-guy'.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

belham2

#3 Post by belham2 »

8Geee wrote:So what is preventing a credit-reporting entity from setting up blockchain accounts, and NOT sharing the info with the subject?. As I see it blockchain entities are not specifically prohibited from doing this. The big surge in blockchain interest is in off-book accounting that can't be found.

I think its a bad example, but illustrates the reverse 'bad-guy' implications by an otherwise 'good-guy'.

Regards
8Geee

Hi 8Geee,

This is the whole misinformation and misunderstanding that is going on in the world about what blockchain truly is.

The Equifaxes, The Facebooks, The Googles, The Apples...every-and-anyone cannot "control" a blockchain account whether they set it up or not. No one online controls blockchain.....that's is the whole idea behind it and what underpins it. As blockchain is properly set up, its impossible to control it.

It is why I and others are trying to educate people about how blockchain actually works.

perdido

#4 Post by perdido »

Once hailed as unhackable, blockchains are now getting hacked

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6129 ... ng-hacked/

More crypto insecurities coming your way soon.
Or "poof", its gone.