Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 17 Jul 2018, 02:10
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Trouble saving Fatdog 710 session to a flash stick
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar 2018, 21:24    Post subject: Re: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/faqs/uefi-flashdrive2.h
Subject description: I just followed this procedure

PappyPuppy wrote:
It doesn't work. My laptop is now again unbootable.

Why does the procedure in the above URL in the Subject create a set of files that are completely different than what the dd command does? Why is there a file named Shellx64.efi and a directory drivers_x64? And why no help directory and lick directory?
PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar 2018, 21:39    Post subject: I tried going back to the dd procedure
Subject description: Then running fix-usb.sh

After a couple boots, it says no working init found. I had written 0's to the flash. Apparently the flash is all corrupted now.
PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar 2018, 21:57    Post subject: I went back to my original flash-stick
Subject description: I then put the OS back on it.

This time I did not run the fix-usb.sh as I would like to understand the processes better.

I can now boot up the laptop using the flash.
And I took the Sandisk flash stick that's now problematic and I reformatted it on the laptop under Fatdog 7.21 to have ext4, ntfs, and linux-swap. Now what I need to know by tomorrow hopefully is how can I get fatdog to save it's session to one of the flash-sticks, preferably the Sandisk. It didn't work the last time with the boot stick and I was left with a completely unbootable operating system. I don't want to save to the flash stick that I boot from. I'm spending too much time with experiments all the time that lead to failures. One of the flash sticks is sda and the other is sdb, but it has multiple partitions (so does the first one). Can I tell fatdog somehow to save to the proper one and can I enable RAM storage. I know fatdog has all of these flags but when fatdog boots up, I have no idea what to do when it presents the menu, and i only have a few seconds. Perhaps I can read overnight what to do and start on this tomorrow.

At least I have a bootable laptop that has wifi - it doesn't appear to be ruined yet.
PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar 2018, 22:11    Post subject: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/faqs/boot-options.html
Subject description: I am now studying this

I guess my problem is I would love to simply boot up fatdog and simply have some parameter like:

savefile=/dev/sdb1;RAM30
savefile=/dev/sdb2;ONLYONSHUTDOWN
savefile=/dev/sdb2/SomeDirOnsdb2

etc..

I know that this is all possible but I have to learn a lot of stuff.

And I would like to put in wait=10:10

I want a slower boot as the gaming laptop is an extremely fast computer. It boots like 10 x as fast an old XP machine.

I would also like longer than 7 seconds to boot. Perhaps there is a file on the boot flash stick that I can edit? I don't know yet.
PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Fri 30 Mar 2018, 09:00    Post subject: I spent another hour with Fatdog after reading last night
Subject description: I took a long, deep breath, then I said, ok, time to save

So I shutdown the machine, but just before I checked my flash sticks and I chose one to save to. I decided to use the directory option and simply use what the prompt suggested with no changes.

I then shut the machine down. Then on first boot, I didn't choose the 2nd line which is use the USB, and it was not able to find the savefile, which makes sense as it has a catch-22 (ie. no bootstraps). So I then re-booted and this time I told it to look in the USB. When it looked there, it found the savefile and booted up.

So then I set up the wifi, and I rebooted and the next time it booted, it automatically connected to the Internet. So now I don't need to keep setting up wifi.

So I now have a number of skills to master, above and beyond the preceding:

1) How to pause the boot process so I can tell it what I want OR: Tell it what I want on next boot. AND Where are these so-called icons that I can simply flush my RAM layer to disk when I want. I want all that stuff working because I want complete control over saves. I don't mind if after a couple hours it saves. This is basically a toy, game computer, not for real intense stuff that's important. I just want to flush it out. I have a hard-drive coming so this only has to last a few days.

2) What to say on boot
savefile=ram:device:sda1:fd64save? Something like this? I use the directory approach - it doesn't have a .ext4 file I just checked. The little Fatdog icon is now on my usb flash icon so I know it's working. But what should I say? Now each time I boot, I have to choose the 2nd line don't I? Or I mean I have to get a prompt now? Or can I save the above somehow?
PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Fri 30 Mar 2018, 09:04    Post subject: I want the shutdown slower or to have a pause
Subject description: When I shut down, it does it too fast for me to read

This laptop is quite fast - it's an i7 based system. I want the shutdown process to slow down so I can read the screen better or perhaps I should dump the log or where is the log?

I just want to be able to read stuff better.
PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Tue 03 Apr 2018, 15:28    Post subject: I bought a new flash stick - 2 x 16GB
Subject description: I decided to use Rufus 2.18

And I installed to the default vfat (fat32) rather than burn it with dd as an iso9660.

Not sure whether it was a bad flash or the iso9660 barfing on all my partition obesessive-compulsive-mount-point mania, but at least Linux Mint is now installed.

I hope to some day have Fatdog next to it once I can comprehend grub well enough.

For now, it's a screaming gaming laptop with Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon.

And now I can do whatever with the 3 flash sticks - keep one for fatdog boot and use the others for file shuttling back and forth and format them however I feel like that would be useful.
Page 2 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: