Sqliteman stopped working for me

Miscellaneous tools
uxhamby

Sqliteman stopped working for me

#1 Post by uxhamby »

I have a puppy installation where I have been using sqliteman for many months but it has recently stopped working. I have un installed and re installed sqliteman but I still get the same error.

"Cannot open file it is probably not a database"

I get the same error when I try to create a new db with sqliteman too BTW.

I can open the db files in question with sqlite3 at the command line and it all looks fine.

I am unaware of any changes I have made to the system that may have caused this as collateral damage. I have reloaded supporting Qt drivers ets as best I know them. Still however, I can't get it to work.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Brian H.

hamoudoudou

Symphytum renew Database process

#2 Post by hamoudoudou »

musher0

#3 Post by musher0 »

Hi uxhamby.

IIRC, sqliteman is a large file. The sequence of its components on disk may have
become jumbled if you have been using it for a long time.

If you only remove it and re-install it, without doing an fsck in-between on the disk
or pupsave file, the re-install will put in the same place (same sequences on disk)
and you will have the same problem.

Try refreshing your partition or pupsave with fsck.ext-something. "-something" being
2, 3 or 4 depending on your file system type. If you have never done it or not done
in a long time, the inodes and file identifiers, etc. of your sqliteman executable on
the partition may have become jumbled.

Linux file systems are more sturdy than WhineDose's, but we still need to do some
form of defragmentation sometimes, because disk fragmentation is a magnetic thing,
it is not caused by the OS.

Your partition or pupsave has to be unmounted, though, so you run fsck from the
Puppy CD or USB (NO savefile, of course if you wish to fsck the pupsave), or from
another Puppy located on another partition if you wish to check the entire partition
your usual Puppy runs from.

These parameters work fine for me: < fsck.ext2 -p -f -v /dev/sdb1 >
(ext2 and sdb1 are examples)
-p : automatic
-f : force to do it
-v : verbose (output what the utility is doing, i.e. a report on screen)

For an fsck on disk or partition, one trick to foil fragmentation is to, beforehand,
spot your largest file on the partition and move it temporarily to another disk. This
creates a "big hole" on the partition that fsck will try to fill up during its process,
therefore forcing a re-ordering of most of the other material on disk.

Once fsck has finished its job, you recopy this file on the partition, and it will be
copied in one sequence (not jumbled) at the end of the bits and bytes that were
re-ordered by fsck.

For a pupsave, the command will likely be as follows:
< fsck.ext2 -p -f -v stretchsave-bebop.2fs > (stretchsave-bebop.2fs as example)
It could be: < fsck.ext3 -p -f -v tahrsave-shmurf.3fs >, etc.

If I was not clear, please ask whatever question you may have.

I'm not saying this will absolutely solve your problem, but it is a possibility. Plus
well-ordered partitions run faster -- so even if fsck is not the solution for your
sqliteman file, it won't be a loss of your time.

Best of luck. Keep us posted?
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)