Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 25 May 2018, 08:56
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Package Collections / Repositories
Updates to Puppy Standard Apps + some other stuff
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
mikeslr

PostPosted: Tue 13 Feb 2018, 00:10    Post subject:  Updates to Puppy Standard Apps + some other stuff  

Hi All,

From time to time someone asks about updates. My usual response is other than keeping up with security and, if possible, trying new web-browsers, they aren't necessary. Still true. But there are occasionally small applications, unique to Puppy, which are refined by their creators and those refined versions may not have been built -in the Puppy being used.

I had occasion to remaster a Puppy and took that opportunity to find out if, since its publication about a year ago, any of the 'builtin' applications had since been updated. As I wanted to test any 'up-dated' application before including it in the Remaster, the “new versions” were downloaded into a folder. Only after all were tested were they included. Most of the pets tested were those published in the last year by radky, rcrsn51, and zigbert, who quietly work at perfecting the small applications unique to Puppies and, usually being 'no-arch' can be run under any Puppy. But I also discovered a couple of pets, newer than the 'standards' which had never made their way into woof-builds: rufwoof's galculator, oscartalks' geany for precise [which, I repackaged to remove that, apparently unnecessary, specification; and watchdog's addblocker , I also included in that folder a couple of applications I thought to be generally useful: radky's patch to ffconvert, xnview –a photo manager, don570's bulldog finder, AppFinder -- finds and then runs applications, and the similar SFR's find 'n run. A folder contains the pets required to run xfe with themes. Xfe is a light-weight, dual-pane file-manager.

After the remaster, the folder remained. Figuring others might find this accumulation helpful, I've uploaded it. You can obtain it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ov55z9oysoavngd/App_Updates.tar.bz2

md5sum: 1154ea0ddd3a82a6e61568f01617ac71

You'll also find within that 01micko's netmon_wce. The Puppy I remastered had its own Taskbar widget handling wifi. But it was neither as aesthetically pleasing nor functional netmon_wce. You probably won't use it as it isn't needed under JWM, Xfce, Lxde or FbBox. Before using, read the instructions.

ROX-Filer: It is only for 32-bit Puppies. Older versions of ROX-Filer had a setting, which when a file was moved or copied to another folder containing a file of the same name, would over-write the later 'if the file being moved/copied was newer'; otherwise it would ask for confirmation before over-writing. Unfortunately, necessary updates to Rox-filer apparently could not continue that setting. That left a 'Hobson's choice': either over-write without asking or ask every time. As far as I know, current Puppies employ Rox with the option to over-write automatically. I prefer the alternative. I usually know which files are to be over-writen, and can delete them before the move/copy. If I've missed something, I want to be asked. And when in doubt, I'll use xfe mentioned above.

If you decide to use ROX-Filer which will ask, you'll find both the original tar.gz package and a decompressed folder. To use the included ROX-Filer binary file-browse to the ROX-Filer folder at /usr/local/apps, Right-Click that folder and select "Look Inside". Copy the new ROX-Filer into that folder, overwriting the old binary with that name. Remember to Save.

mikesLr
hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Tue 13 Feb 2018, 10:11    Post subject: Try with new pupsave ASAP  

Try with new pupsave ASAP
mikeslr

PostPosted: Tue 13 Feb 2018, 15:43    Post subject: Re: Try with new pupsave ASAP  

hamoudoudou wrote:
Try with new pupsave ASAP

Good idea. Smile

mikesLr

p.s. Maybe also: When updating with a new pupsave start with geany-1.3.1. It requires that the builtin geany be "removed". As mentioned, Oscartalks built it for precise. I only use geany as a text editor and viewer and as such it worked fine under tahrpup. But geany has many advanced functions you may need. If they don't work under tahrpup you may want to put the old geany back in the bottle. Easier just to again create a new pupsave.

Next try rufwoof's galcualtor 2.1.4. This is a beautiful app. On its right side is the GUI you would be accustomed to if you're familiar with the old galculator. But the left side includes functions I haven't had to think about for a life-time since, after a lot more effort than I had anticipated I managed to somehow pass a course in Advanced Mathmatics, I turned down a scholarship to a university teaching nuclear engineering. The idea of designing a nuclear powered engine to drive a space ship to Mars still was exciting, but less likely to be much fun for me. If the details surrounding that painful memory are accurate rufwoof's galculator would be a proper replacement for the other two or three calculators which for some reason keep appearing in "Stock" Puppies. But, you might like the 'old one' better.

As for the rest, I suggest you try them. I was surprise to discover that Puppy has applications I didn't know I wanted until I ran them.

mikesLr
hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Wed 14 Feb 2018, 11:10    Post subject: old Geany must be removed.  

old Geany must be removed. Understood.. Exclamation try will begin when nothing more amazing to do. Linuxing until my end of life seems to me as i was kicked out from society, I am fullfilling Gramps, to give my relatives all info about me.
Use Puppy as it is allows you to go one step forward, even if Puppy is not yet perfect (Very happy with Artfulpup, no bug discovered since 17oct2017).
However feed back will arrive soon, until end of february.
xnview.jpg
 Description   XNview in my tool-case,
 Filesize   31.2 KB
 Viewed   309 Time(s)

xnview.jpg

buscador.jpg
 Description   çà fonctionne comme sur XFCE.
 Filesize   55.67 KB
 Viewed   311 Time(s)

buscador.jpg

hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Wed 14 Feb 2018, 23:41    Post subject: XFCE app without XFCE.. and apps finder works.  

done. I think that some apps used to build Puppies should be removed when Puppy is for public usage
I really have a doubt about one of apps provided, perhaps new JWM .
XFCE app without XFCE.. and apps finder works.. Smile
hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar 2018, 22:27    Post subject: Rox columns  

columns order moving in artfulpup.
I mean change a b c d e f g.. to a d e f g c
Permissions owner group are not useful daily but make useful columns hidden
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Package Collections / Repositories
Jump to: