Xenialpup 7.5 64-bit not wanting to share printer

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
mgolden

Xenialpup 7.5 64-bit not wanting to share printer

#1 Post by mgolden »

I'm having trouble sharing the HP 3015 LaserJet attached to my computer.

I've ticked the "Share" box during the configuration but CUPS always shows "Not Shared".

Does anyone else have this problem?

DOH! :oops:

I just discovered the "Share printers connected to this system" check box under Administration settings. You also have to click "Change Settings" to get it to take.

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Well, a guy has the right to choose who he is going to share his printer with, you know. ;)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

mgolden

#3 Post by mgolden »

In follow up, even after checking the "Share printers connected to this system" I was unable to get 7.5 to share the printer. This was not a problem with Slacko Puppy 5.7 or 6.3.2.

My "solution" was to buy a cheap HP J7942A printer server on eBay for $20. The cell phones around here love it along with all the various versions of Puppy and Windows.

p310don

#4 Post by p310don »

I've had the same problem.

It seems there was some reason to "upgrade" CUPS to make it less functional...

You can work around it by installing the P910ND print server from here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60474

It works, but is shit compared to the older CUPS idea of stuff that "just works"

mgolden

#5 Post by mgolden »

Thanks for the tip. Hopefully this HP print server box proves durable. I previously had an ASUS RT-N16 wireless router with a handy dandy USB print server built in, but unfortunately it succumbed to bad capacitors.

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

p310don wrote:It works, but is shit compared to the older CUPS idea of stuff that "just works"
Interesting choice of words.

If you don't understand the issue, you should avoid throwing insults around.

p310don

#7 Post by p310don »

Interesting choice of words.

If you don't understand the issue, you should avoid throwing insults around.
Sorry about that. But I stand by my comment.

In the past, circa CUPS 1.4ish, if I had a shared printer, it was just shared. Now with later CUPS, it isn't. Hence my insult.

P910ND solves the problem, and it does so without too much issue, and rcrsn51 your ongoing support and tutorials for installing printers in Puppy make it easier, but nothing is as easy as the previous "just works" setup.

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

Those settings still work, but you need a mainstream Linux with the required infrastructure.

[Edit] I got this working in the Stretch-Live Starter Kit by installing cups-browsed. It took a bit of configuring.

mgolden

#9 Post by mgolden »

rcrsn51, This is an interesting topic to research.

The following article discusses the change made in the way CUPS works:

https://trello.com/c/kifXTCX5/169-make- ... g-features

cups-browsed seems to have issues based on the posts I'm seeing.

All of this is way above my pay grade but I enjoy poking around, usually until I blow my smoothly operating system sky high. :D

rcrsn51

#10 Post by rcrsn51 »

CUPS is owned by Apple. A major focus of their development is to provide print services for modern portable devices. I doubt if they care much about backwards compatibility with a hobby distro like Puppy.

Now that most printers are networkable OOTB, the idea of sharing USB-attached printers is a legacy concept that is losing relevance.

The whole point of the p910nd-print-server project is to keep this old technology working for a while.

If people are upset, they should direct their displeasure at the Puppy builders who determine which version of CUPS to include.