Dpup Stretch 7.5 CE (RC-5)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mikeslr

Gramps & BibleAnalyzer under Wine

#241 Post by mikeslr »

Hi OvrMaHd,

Having just built a portable-wine based on Version2013's wine-3, I don't have it installed, but under my prior setups (portable-wines based on Version2013 wine-2 and 1.8 and Shinobar's Wine-portable 1.6) I was able to run the Windows XP versions BibleAnalyser-521 and BibleAnalyzer-481. I was also able to run XP's eSword 11.1. Haven't tried newer versions.

As it did not require installation, I just started XP's GrampsPortable version 3.4.9-1. It opened, but advised that OsmGpsMap module was not loaded. IIRC, that absence is not unique to XP or portable.

Wine is a "framework" which usually can be run under any Puppy. Part of the reason I build portable-wine is that it does not occupy "Puppy Space" and once set up and applications installed, it and they, are immediately available with one-click on any 5 series version of Puppy. [I could have used one of Version2013 other pets to build one which would also run under 4 series Puppies; but I no longer run them].

If I didn't run multiple Puppies, I probably would have opted for this alternative Version2013 suggested: installing wine creates a hidden folder, /root/.wine, into which all windows applications (other than portables) will be installed. After the installation of a wine pet, open two file-manager windows, one to /root and Left-Click rox's Eye to Show hidden files; the second to /mnt/home. Create a folder on /mnt/home to house the wine folder (as it's hidden and you wouldn't want to accidentally delete it, and may want to easily find it). Drag the .wine folder from /root into that folder and select Move. Drag it back to /root and select Link(relative). Installed applications no longer take up space in a SaveFile or in RAM and will work directly from /mnt/home/YourFolder. [I suppose, alternatively, after moving the .wine folder directly to /mnt/home you could rename it without the "dot/.", then drag it back and rename the symbolic link ".wine" without the quotes].

Xp portables usually will not install to wine's false C:_Drive. I have a folder on /mnt/home named xp-apps. When running a portable's setup file, I select that folder as the place into which the portable should be 'installed'.

If you need more information regarding how to easily integrate programs running under wine, don't hesitate to ask.

mikesLr

OvrMaHd

#242 Post by OvrMaHd »

Thank you for the previous post, mikeslr, pardon my forum inexperience, might ask if you have codec, and various voices for text to speech in wine.
Oh, might add, the LM killer is that know one really can tell me how to make a persistence file that truly, an really, operates with lone DVD boot and external USB.
Thank you

mikeslr

#243 Post by mikeslr »

Hi OvrMaHd,

If by LM you mean Linux Mint, I've run it from USB-keys several times, and there's an installation on my desktop I don't recall the last time I booted into. But AFAIR, it uses the same technique as Ubuntu for creating persistence. To get it on USB-Keys I've used LinuxLiveUSB Creator which creates a 'persistence file' but, IIRC, the last time I did that it was limited to 4 Gb. Kind of a waste of space on a 32 Gb Key. So I went looking for alternatives and found some posts on Ubuntu on how to make your own 'persistence file' of any dimension. Don't have the foggiest as to how to boot Linux Mint from a DVD and have persistence on a USB-Key.

I've mentioned the above because my reason for trying LinuxMint (and Ubuntus) is that I can run Dragon Naturally Speaking under them via Wine, but can't under any version of Puppy.

And that provides an easy segway to your questions about codec and 'text to speech' under Wine. These are question best asked on either the Users (for the Regulars) Section or by starting a new thread under the Additional Software > Virtualization Section. Off hand, I don't know. While I run programs under Wine, those programs fall into two categories: (1) Nothing comparable under Linux, or (2) running multiple Puppies one program under Wine is more efficient than several applications, one for each Puppy.

My best guess is that you should be able to install any codec that will run under Wine using Winetricks. It's built into Version2013's pets, at least every version of those pets I've used to built portable-wine. Text-to-Speech is a different matter: finding an application which will run under Wine. Having a flaky memory, my usual procedure is to do a search of some program by typing its name + WineHq into google. WineHq maintains a database regarding 'installable programs'*, rating them and providing advice. Tried that, but forgot to type "Hq" after Wine, and got this which may be helpful: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments ... microsoft/.

As I use Linux programs when I can, I wondered what Puppy had to offer in the way of 'text-to-speech'. So I plugged that search term into this search engine, https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643 ... #gsc.tab=0 --worth bookmarking-- and got this: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 601#573601. Not sure it will run under Dpup Stretch (I've emailded you), but note rufwoof's post and link: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 400#968400. The Search site also generated this thread, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 302#930302 and others.

A couple of things which might be helpful, besides suggesting that you scan the Virtualization section for threads about using Wine and Winetricks. Working with the elderly you'll want an easy way for them to start a wine application. Perhaps the easiest is to have a launcher on the desktop. Under Puppies, you can open the file-manager to the folder containing the applications executable (exe) Left-Press it, then drag it to the desktop. Right-click the exe "file" -- it's actually a symbolic-like/shortcut", select "File --NameOfFile" and you can drag an Icon onto it from anywhere within Puppy. You can find --and place-- icons in /usr/share/icons, /usr/share/pixmaps.

The other method is to create menu entries. See this post, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 255#882255 and particularly note the link at its bottom to instructions for creating menu entries of programs you install, that is, they are not built into Wine.

mikesLr

* WineHq doesn't rate 'portables'. Portables frequently run under Wine, and sometimes the portable version will run even if the 'installable' version doesn't. But it's 'hit or miss'. You just have to download the setup file, run it and see. Since they're portable the worst that can happen is you've wasted that time, plus the time it takes to delete the folder you or it created. As portables don't write to the Registry there's no chance of it having messed that up, or being left with useless files cluttering the Registry.

hamoudoudou

qtmindmap mindmap chart editor

#244 Post by hamoudoudou »

Merci Charlie6, firt lesson. qtmindmap mindmap chart editor please me. French is available, searching..
Category changed from Utility to Business, at home

qtmindmap_DpupStretch-0.2|qt
|384K||qtmindmap_DpupStretch-0.2.pet||QtMindMap|debian|stretch||
Last edited by hamoudoudou on Fri 23 Mar 2018, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.

hamoudoudou

nstall addon '1 Click video Download'

#245 Post by hamoudoudou »

Videos from You Tube . Install addon '1 Click video Download' in included palemoon version by radky, then install videocut from the PPM to make it as you like. You will have to do audio comments again, but finally the video will be much lighter. All similar n,n+1....n+10 ... frames, choose only one..
Avidemux first, then videocut to work frame by frame.

that is what we use our computer for, replacing scissors and glue.
Attachments
frames.jpg
Use Avidemux first
(29.01 KiB) Downloaded 755 times
multimedia.jpg
wex replaced by Simple Screen Recorder from the PPM
(24.59 KiB) Downloaded 758 times

charlie6

Re: qtmindmap mindmap chart editor

#246 Post by charlie6 »

Hi hamoudoudou ;)
bonjour !
hamoudoudou wrote:...qtmindmap mindmap chart editor please me. French is available, searching..
When you report ,«...French is available, searching...», you do not tell us much about your needs ... :? Did you got the french translated menus?
I presume your locale could be fr_FR, isn't?
The above pets come with both french fr_FR and fr_BE locales under /usr/share/qtmindmap/i18n/qtmindmap_fr_FR.qm:
both fr_* files identical (see shot hereunder :shock: ) except their name.
Enjoy !
HTH
Charlie
Attachments
qtmindmap_locales.png
(44.8 KiB) Downloaded 745 times

hamoudoudou

So i want to underline that my mouse does not freeze

#247 Post by hamoudoudou »

French is arrived.. suddenly. That is not translated everywhere, but i understand what is about.
About Dpup Stretch, by Radky and others, i thought first it is running well but nothing new.. But the fact that everything works well is becoming something new nowadays.. So i want to underline that my mouse does not freeze (slow down)
Update the PPM, some new apps will appear.
Attachments
edit.jpg
My Qt Mind
(45.77 KiB) Downloaded 725 times

hamoudoudou

smartphone is a camera

#248 Post by hamoudoudou »

Most of us have a smartphone in their pocket nowadays and they use it as a camera, camphonetab misses libcrypt on Dpupup. Rcrsn51 provides it here, click the blue
When a puppy is approved, then it has to began to work ! Pregnency is finished.. And Builders quickly left it to build another one. Women would be more careful. But they don't compute. Pemasu was a women, was she ?
Attachments
Phone.jpg
Others tools exist, for try.
(35.86 KiB) Downloaded 715 times

OvrMaHd

#249 Post by OvrMaHd »

Hello Radky and friends,
(new user here)
I really like how Stretch 7_5 operates and looks, and after today respect it even more.
Isobooter is used on dedicated usb, with save and swap area. (32bt KrnL4148)
Perhaps should backup and explain. Earlier this week prepped some new usb drives to learn squashfs details, checked drives original fat32 partitions, all OK, formatted drives to Ext2, rechecked, disconnected Nic cable, printer, set auto save and screensaver OFF, to obtain full system processing.
Proceeded with obtaining Stretch SFS (should have saved it during usb
first boot) by creating ISO dev loop and copying to new usb. When finished, started unsquash (-f -d options) to second usb with new directory. This seemed to proceed OK also and eventually finished the squash.root file, superficially looked at file system, again seemed OK.
Desiring to make a work copy, dragged original directory to a new chip.

Left PC an came back to find a red error in scrolling
text, processor is showing 100 pecent.
Puzzled, leave it alone, recheck 4000 lines, 5 errors, how can it copy this many lines and then error and continue doing good copy?

Did something happen in dev loop or unsquash, chips passed Gpart checks after new format, files come from repositories, maybe they are corrupt in initial assembly.

Start catalog of errs, with intent of trying to publish file info on this forum to check them somehow? By this time there is 20+ errors, can not seem to find anything about this phenomenon in forum, so
continue cataloging. Soon it is 30+ but copy function seems to continue without any other events.
Today, after 41 continuous hours, copy is complete, I look at the 2 file systems and they appear the same, then I start file searches in copy and original using file error directories for compare, and even though red lettered and flagged impossible and failed they are present in copied directory, a check of properties labels them as ELF. I don't know what these are, although first heard ELF name in regard to WII system. After about 80 of them occurred, wondered if it wasn't links buried in the file sys.
If so, have a record of 28,721 lines and 201 flagged as error, but still present files in copy as potential errors.

Anyone care to explain, and should the new directory be trusted??

Maybe could proceed to rename save file and do first save SFS copy, and repeat Unsquash.

perplexed

Ovr

xyz

Osmo not in the menu. No desktop file.

#250 Post by xyz »

Osmo not in the menu. No desktop file. Exist , launched in terminal.

charlie6

Re: So i want to underline that my mouse does not freeze

#251 Post by charlie6 »

hamoudoudou wrote:French is arrived.. suddenly. That is not translated everywhere,...
There are indeed untranslated menu items left ... the reason is that some menus text strings appear not being «converted» in the *.qm locale file upon the compile step, although they have been well translated in the source file.
That's why some menus strings keep displayed in english.

Someone more aware about Qt codes could improve the localization.

Best regards, Charlie

OvrMaHd

#252 Post by OvrMaHd »

Hello,

As to a previous post, continued searches and found these:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?
t=86674
copy-fast-2.6.pet

t=77003
multicopypaste-3.0.pet

Moving Directories in Linux w_ Rsync.html
search_id=255488929&t=112484
Somewhat obscure -
Problems with search and naming - each topic also discusses this problem

Ovr

hamoudoudou

Charlie6

#253 Post by hamoudoudou »

Charlie6, we shall let untranslated menu as it is.. people reading this topic can read english, as an evidence. we shall wait if anybody complains.
OvrMaHd sorry cannot help. Strange you have to use unsquash with Puppy Linux..

OvrMaHd

#254 Post by OvrMaHd »

Hello Radky,

Have report, using Pmount caused the desktop to freeze, requiring hard reboot 3 times after large (1.7Gb) file operations finish, and unmount is attempted.
Another nag is that installed programs from puppy manager do not open, menu present but nothing happens, no install errs.

Is there Flow diagram of Puppy Linux menu system with Distro nuances? If so, I cant find it, speaking of menu system, what is uncovered is looping from one directory to others and then back again multiple times, in an attempt at obfuscation, quite successfully I might add. LOL
Ovr
  • Dell A2010
    Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz
    Memory : 4058MB (859MB used) 2.8Gb swap partition
    Machine Type : Desktop
    Operating System : Puppy Linux
    User Name : root (root)
    Date/Time : Fri 30 Mar 2018 03:50:19 PM EDT
    -Display-
    Resolution : 1680x1050 pixels
    OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Intel(R) G33 x86/MMX/SSE2
    X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation

Puppyt

#255 Post by Puppyt »

Hi Radky,
a belated "CHEERS!" for your pupplet - I really appreciate the clean uncluttered presentation and all that I am gradually finding that you have incorporated under the hood. Have been using RC-1 and RC-2 for a while on a Pansonic CF-52 (1 GB RAM, 128 gb SSD, etc etc). Tray 2 is très bien, especially :)
But now I find myself with a *little* bit of spare time, thought I would try k4.1.48-i686-pae Dpup Stretch 7.5rc2 out on an old Opentec "OpenFire" PIII laptop, 512MB ram, 1.2gb ATA (Toshiba MK1403MA) with a strange military 440BX motherboard, for use as a media server/Internet radio player.
Some issues of grief - due to my specs, not your puppy base! Palemoon baulked at the CPU that doesn't support SSE2 - but Opera 12.16 from the PPM working fine. And, of course - the ol' Neomagic NM2200 256AV/Yamaha OPL3SA2 audio driver issue having been dropped out of the Linux kernel some time ago.
I write in haste - family issues (Happy Easter to all, BTW!) - and I remember having resolved these issues for this machine in an earlier Pupplet (a LucidPuppy derivative? Can't recall). Having just installed gyros missing firmware sfs' (including linux_firmware_20180401.sfs) - no improvements as yet since Dpup Stretch doesn't find any sound devices via Gnome ALSA mixer. I'm sure I'll work it out- this message is a breadcrub to myself to come back to the issue later.

Code: Select all

# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host bridge (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX AGP bridge (rev 03)
00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:07.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 02)
00:0c.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1250 (rev 02)
00:0c.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1250 (rev 02)
00:0d.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8100/8101L/8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (rev 10)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Neomagic Corporation NM2200 [MagicGraph 256AV] (rev 20)
01:00.1 Multimedia audio controller: Neomagic Corporation NM2200 [MagicMedia 256AV Audio] (rev 20)
02:00.0 Network controller: Ralink corp. RT2561/RT61 rev B 802.11g
06:00.0 USB controller: NEC Corporation OHCI USB Controller (rev 43)
06:00.1 USB controller: NEC Corporation OHCI USB Controller (rev 43)
06:00.2 USB controller: NEC Corporation uPD72010x USB 2.0 Controller (rev 04)
# modprobe snd-nm256 ; modprobe snd-pcm-oss ; modprobe snd-mixer-oss ; modprobe snd-seq-oss
# alsamixer
cannot open mixer: No such file or directory
I've flicked around sites like
https://www.systutorials.com/linux-kern ... ux-2-6-15/; https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v4.0/s ... 56/nm256.c...
Of course, any suggestions could be helpful as I periodically muck around with my scattergun approach, - will update with any successes,
Cheers!
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

hamoudoudou

launch programs in terminal

#256 Post by hamoudoudou »

OvrMaHd try to launch programs in terminal, you will get info about what is missing.

hamoudoudou

GTK you tube viewer installed in Dpup Stretch

#257 Post by hamoudoudou »

GTK you tube viewer installed in Dpup Stretch provided here by XenialDog builder fredx181
Congratulations 8)
Take a glance to addons provided by your browser for sites as Dailymotion.
Last edited by hamoudoudou on Fri 20 Apr 2018, 19:20, edited 3 times in total.

sc0ttman

#258 Post by sc0ttman »

Just FYI, this Stretch 7.5 runs much nicer, smoother, faster on my PC than Xenial, and no bugs or weird issues like sound sometimes not working, like in Slacko...

Great job!

My PC specs are :

AMD Athlon(tm) X4 750K Quad Core Processor
16GB RAM
Radeon HD 7750 gfx card

.. running off USB, no save file..
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

sc0ttman

#259 Post by sc0ttman »

BTW, thunor did a nice TTF font installer app, which could be added, as well as default run actions of .ttf files ... At the moment, clicking on them does nothing, and I can't find a noobs way of adding new TTF (or other!) fonts to the system...
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

charlie6

#260 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
sc0ttman wrote:Just FYI, this Stretch 7.5 runs much nicer, smoother, faster on my PC than Xenial, and no bugs or weird issues like sound sometimes not working,...
Great job!
Yes ... I also agree with your comment. Here Stretch 7.5 installed since quite 3 months as now. Runs like a charm on this
Vendor: FUJITSU SIEMENS // Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
Bios Version: 4.06 Rev. 1.03.1522
Bios Release Date: 01/30/2003
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz
Max Speed: 3060 MHz
Again great job ! Thanks Radky :)
Charlie