gtk-youtube-viewer (for lots of pups)

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
sindi

smplayer no sound, mplayer and vlc work, tarh 603

#241 Post by sindi »

I reinstalled smtube after updating Tahr with fix 7. Smplayer plays full-screen (F or Ctrl-C add or subtract controls
but do not produce a smaller less fuzzy screen) and have no sound. Mplayer and VLC have sound and they play at the expected
size (not full screen unless I ask for it). Maestro 3 sound on a 1GHz Inspiron 8100 Pentium III.

sindi

smtube for puppy 4

#242 Post by sindi »

I added all the required libs to Pulp Linux (puppy 4.1.2) which boots using 10MB RAM, but trying to run smtube or smplayer gives error message:
unresolved symbol: g_main_content_push_thread_default.

I also upgraded to glibc 2.11.

What other lib(s) should I update to fix this problem?

pulp plays videos downloaded with youtube-dl on a 233MHz laptop with 96MB RAM, at 240p.
I use mplayer in framebuffer mode (no X at all).

I want a youtube viewer for a 10 year old on a 475MHz with about 150MB usable RAM, which plays at 360p with the above combo but
the kid cannot handle searching for and typing in the URL. One laptop of this era has only 64MB (bad RAM slots).

I don't think Puppy 5 will fit into 150MB with smtube and mplayer both running.

I kill (with a script) all unneeded processes (cupsd, ROX, everything in the tray) which helps a lot.
Tahr is still using 376MB for X and one terminal with ssh. Wary-lupu-precise are slightly better.

starhawk

#243 Post by starhawk »

You really ought to find a way to get computers that are a little more recent and a little less Cretaceous, you know that, right? :P

The problem is that you need to upgrade your version of GTK.

I can't really help you with that, except to say that upgrading it could easily break stuff -- Puppy relies a LOT on GTK stuff.

You might look here --> http://412collection.neocities.org/system.html
Looks like there might be a few helpful bits there. (I don't know offhand if you'll need to boot into xwin for that page to come up, but as usual it's a safe assumption...)

fatguy

#244 Post by fatguy »

hey I am having trouble installing this on current LOS.

I get a perl error in particular.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 224#975224

is anyone out there? please help, I have to go or id write more, my baby is crying.

hamoudoudou

Dogs have Gtk-You Tube Viewer 3.1.5 included

#245 Post by hamoudoudou »

Dogs have Gtk-You Tube Viewer 3.1.5 included

sindi

gtk-youtube-viewer 3

#246 Post by sindi »

Are there packages for other puppies?

None listed for Lupu. Anything later has video problems on my fastest laptop (nvidia) but it is the slower laptops that need a viewer. Two from 2004 with 768MB RAM would run Tahr. 360p is jerky in a browser.

I see there is now a 3.2.1 viewer.

fredx181

#247 Post by fredx181 »

It really depends on the perl version installed (which is different on any puppy)
Best is to build it (probably required to load devx ?), see here:
https://github.com/trizen/youtube-viewer#installation
(latest now is version 3.3.3)
Also I've found that it works best with mpv (or probably vlc, I didn't test though), (in the past it worked with mplayer, but not anymore, I think).
And having youtube-dl installed gives best experience for gtk-youtube-viewer, combined with mpv (otherwise several video's won't play)
Install youtube-dl:

Code: Select all

wget https://yt-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl -O /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl
chmod a+rx /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl
Fred

sindi

compiling latest gtk-youtube-viewer for older puppy linuxes

#248 Post by sindi »

It would take me a while to learn to compile on puppy linux.

Could you make a package that works with Lucid 2016 and Wary, including perl if the correct version is not found in their package managers?

By 'dogs' do you mean Fatdog64? My only working 64-bit laptop (2008 with 2GB RAM) has an nvidia video chip that I could not get to work with any puppy linux newer than Lupu. Another laptop (2003 non-PAE) runs Wary but not Lupu. I had these both working with smtube until Youtube broke things, and they need only 512MB RAM (the max for my favorite Pentium III, too slow to play youtube in Palemoon). gtk-youtube-viewer used to work with all puppies 5 too.

I prefer the older laptops (2001-2006) for their non-glare and sometimes non-wide screens. My 2004 1.7GHz DELL 600M cannot quite handle 360p youtube in palemoon (and even the 1.8GHz one cannot manage fullscreen or even theater mode 360p). My post-2004 laptops are widescreen except for one 2006 ASUS.

A temporary solution is youtube-dl plus mplayer. Or if enough RAM to handle browser plus mplayer, download with a downloader add-on.

fredx181

#249 Post by fredx181 »

Hi sindi, sorry, I spoke too easy about building gtk-youtube-viewer, I've done it in the past on DebianDog and Xenialdog (that's what's meant with 'dogs') but just tried on Lupu and ran into problems that I can't solve (missing dependencies).
The perl included in Lupu is too minimal maybe ? Also I tried installing missing components from PPM, but finally had to give up.
The oldest DebianDog version with (working) gtk-youtube-viewer included (and mpv) is Debiandog Wheezy (openbox version):
https://debiandog.github.io/doglinux/zz ... heezy.html

Fred

sindi

DebianDog 9.02 (2015) for gtk-youtube-viewer

#250 Post by sindi »

I downloaded the jwm non-PAE iso and extracted all the pieces to a directory including the empty subdirectories.

Would grub4dos recognize them and add to menu.lst?
(It booted fatdog versions 6 and 7).

Or should I copy (and edit) the sample lines give for Porteus
linux to my existing menu.lst?

Lupu perl may be too old. Wary perl has 5.1.0.

Do you know system requirements for the 2015 Debiandog?

fredx181

#251 Post by fredx181 »

Hi sindi, it's from years ago I was involved with DebianDog Wheezy, so can't remember well, but from what I tested just now is that JWM version doesn't include gtk-youtube-viewer and also it can't be installed from it, so only way is openbox_xfce version (which is a bit heavier)
No-pae openbox_xfce:
https://github.com/DebianDog/Wheezy/rel ... -09-02.iso

EDIT: Apparently I made mistake testing JWM version. After second test, gtk-youtube-viewer is indeed not included, but can be installed (and works fine from what I tested),so in terminal:

apt-get update
apt-get install youtube-viewer
And run from Menu > Multimedia

Note, this isn't supported anymore, by fixing bugs etc...
Would grub4dos recognize them and add to menu.lst?
Not sure if you mean "grub4dosconfig" application.
If so, no, it wouldn't recognize DebianDog.
But you can add an entry manually to menu.lst, see (porteus style) boot options examples here:
https://github.com/DebianDog/Jessie/wiki/Porteus-boot

Don't know system requirements for the 2015 Debiandog, runs fine on my old HP laptop from 2008.

EDIT: See EDIT above about JWM version

Fred

sindi

Debiandog boots with grub4dos on 1.7GHz DELL 600m 2004 with

#252 Post by sindi »

I had to add an initrd line to the suggested menu.lst entry (last one). Do I also need to boot to the other three that tell it where to save changes? No ssh or telnet and the cursor here is white on white but this is progress.

sindi

youtube-viewer works at 720p on 1.7GHz 2004 600M 85% CPU

#253 Post by sindi »

I am online with portably installed Palemoon . Debiandog's Dillo would not access this forum (no SSH ability) and elinks was confusing.

I followed instructions to install youtube-viewer and downloaded updates followed by lots of perl-related libraries and mpv. Debiandog already has mplayer. mpv can also be run without a mouse.

gtk-youtube-viewer is a graphical interface. It rarely worked to actually play a video and when it did, 720p was extremely jerky (or stopped a lot?). I did not check CPU usage.

youtube-viewer subject --resolution=480 lists videos on a particular subject and plays them at 480p. (smtube played them at 240p when asked for 480p). It also worked at 720p with only 85% CPU usage and about 8% total memory usage.

Debiandog runs a lot less extraneous stuff than puppy linuxes and there is even a low RAM mode that removes the file manager (which I normally do manually in puppy).

At 720p there were frequent pauses in playing which I diagnosed with testmy.net. My download speed is 848-872 kbps. Comcast promised us 25MBps. Youtube works flawlessly at 480p on this laptop with youtube-viewer so the jerkiness at 360p in a browser was due to the browser using the CPU while playing youtube.

The wifi card or slot on this 2004 DELL 600M is dead. (The slot goes bad so often that I did not even try a different card). I stuck in a pcmcia card. Since my cards are all at least wireless B 11Mbps (or at least half that in real life) the slot or the card could be bad. Another card in another laptop runs at 1.4MBps with Wary Puppy. So I suspected the wireless signal.

A not-so-new iPod clocked 41.8Mbps with our wifi signal. ????

Last I checked, the wired download speed was about 25Mbps.

I may need more help if Debiandog does not save changes.

apt-get install ssh downloaded and installed both the client and the server for openssh.

I like youtube-viewer much better than smtube because it is CLI. What a pleasure to have it back again! And DebianDog turns out to be quite suitable for my older hardware with 512MB RAM and a 1GHz CPU.
If things did not break I would not learn anything new.

My 2008 laptop is 'new' compared to the others that I use, and is now no better than they are at playing youtube videos since it has no better resolution and also has dead wifi, in fact people rarely give us laptops with working wifi.

Many thanks!

sindi

how to save changes to debiandog?

#254 Post by sindi »

82% CPU use by X and youtube in palemoon browser at 360p
85% by youtube-viewer and mpv at 720p

360p should play at 1/4 of 1.7GHz on a slower laptop with the same speed GPU. Or on a Pentium III 1GHz.

Neither CPU usage should be jerky - it is the wifi signal at fault.

When I rebooted I was back to where I started. I don't understand how to save the changes to changes.dat.

On exit it said Porteus.

sindi

how to exit debiandog

#255 Post by sindi »

I exited with 'wmreboot' like I do in puppy.

If I exit using the menu it asks whether to save changes.

fredx181

#256 Post by fredx181 »

Hi sindi, glad it's useful for you somehow !
I'm not sure if you managed to save the session already, anyway here's some info:
A save folder may be the most convenient, but works only on a linux filesystem e.g. ext2/3/4
And best is to place the "live" folder in a folder with a unique name, e.g. for below example: "dwheezy-jwm"
(see also "Examples for several DebianDog frugal install on different partitions ..." on the porteus-boot wiki page, at the bottom)
And the "from=" and "changes=" parameters accordingly:

title DebianDog Wheezy-jwm -  changes to /dwheezy-jwm/live
 root (hd0,0)
 kernel /dwheezy-jwm/live/vmlinuz1 from=/dwheezy-jwm noauto changes=/dwheezy-jwm/live/ 
 initrd /dwheezy-jwm/live/initrd1.xz
Then the changes will be in "/dwheezy-jwm/live/changes" folder. (folder "changes" will be automatically created)
For to save only at shutdown (choice to save or not) make it: changes=EXIT:/dwheezy-jwm/live/

For to create save file, run from Menu > Utility > Make Save file
And if the location is "/dwheezy-jwm/live/changes dat" make it "changes=/dwheezy-jwm/live/changes.dat" on the kernel line.
(but note that the changes are not directly saved after creating savefile (need to reboot, then the savefile will be mounted), newer 'dogs' can do that, but this old version not)

Fred

sindi

saving changes to debiandog

#257 Post by sindi »

Debiandog is sharing a partition with several puppy linuxes.

title DebianDog 902 (sda5)
root (hd0,4)
kernel /dog902/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/dog902/ changes=EXIT:/dog902/live/changes.dat
initrd /dog902/live/initrd1.xz

(The changes line is part of the previous line but when I type things in a GUI I am restricted to a narrow box, and lines wrap).

A 100MB save file changes.dat was created in live, along with various empty subdirectories, when I shut down yesterday.
ext2

When I try to reboot it complains about trying to access
/memory/changes/mnt/live

no space left on device.

I have 7GB free space.

sindi

debiandog working properly with 'EXIT'

#258 Post by sindi »

With 'EXIT' added to menu.lst and a reboot everything is working now.
menu.lst as posted here

I may use DebianDog 9.02 (2015) as the default OS on this 1.6GHz laptop. It is newer than both Wary (2013) and Lupu2016 (with 2010 libraries), and the squashfile is a lot smaller and it runs in less memory and seemingly faster (though with larger kernel). I added ssh and youtube-viewer.

If google had not broken smtube again I might never have known about Debiandog. It seems ideal for slower hardware with less RAM.

Next problem is to figure out why 54G pcmcia cardbus cards download at 1.4Mbps and 850Kbps in two laptops from 2003 and 2004. Onboard wifi (B) does 5.6Mbps.

fredx181

#259 Post by fredx181 »

sindi wrote:A 100MB save file changes.dat was created in live
That's very small, the cache used by the package manager (after "apt-get update") takes already around 100MB, so better use bigger save file .
For info, with the EXIIT option the changes are in RAM, so a lot faster, but limited to 60% of your RAM.
You can increase to e.g. 90%, by adding to kernel boot line:

ramsize=90%
So, say, you install a lot of packages (or download big file to e.g. /root) you will run out of space when it's more than that % of your RAM size.

Fred

hamoudoudou

About gtk-youtube-viewer Puppy version would have been nice

#260 Post by hamoudoudou »

About gtk-youtube-viewer Puppy version would have been nice. for downloads they are so may addons available even for old browsers that i don't miss a pet.
(1click download addon for Palemoon is perfect)