mega.nz: 15 free gigs of cloud-syncable storage

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Puppus Dogfellow

Re: tahr64 package works in Xenialpup64 CE 7.5 (failed in an

#41 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote: [...]
do you happen to have a version of megasync consistently working in xenial or tahr 64 bit? i failed one for one in xenial64 (different packages/combos than above so never offered (many failures, one installation)) and had initial success in tahr 64 but can't replicate it--fails for me utterly now. not sure what was done differently...change in order of unrelated packages broke something maybe?

anyway,
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:megatahr64.sfs
megatahr64.pet
megatahr64.tar.xz

versions for tahr64 contain/are made from: libc-ares2_1.7.5-1_amd64.deb, libcrypto++9_5.6.1-5build1_amd64.deb, and megasync-xUbuntu_14.04_amd64.deb.
may not work in your tahr64 installation.[...].
works for me two for two (same system, two installations) in xenialpup64 7.5.

a new round of tahr64 installations was four for four (three systems), but i've since done something to a 2006 gateway desktop that's killed both megasync and recoll for me (both give zlib__ missing symbol errors (or something similar) that i can't find fixes or packages for).

so more success this time: megatahr64.pet appears to work without issue in Xenialpup64. 7.5, and there's a good shot that will also be the case in tahrpup64. (though only tried it so far the older tahr64 605).

a tip (and why i thought one earlier installation was broken when it wasn't)--don't lose your password. resetting it gets you back into your account, but you can't decrypt the data that was already there; you only get back the old account less by the amount of space/storage you can't access/read--it's like virtual brain damage or something.

from http://www.zdnet.com/article/mega-respo ... d-changes/:
Mega confirmed that users currently have no means to change their password , quoting Ars Technica, which previously said that "Losing [your password] means you don't just lose the ability to log on to the service — you lose the ability to decrypt your files, period."

To address this, Mega stated that it would implement a password change feature that will "re-encrypt the master key with your new password," as well as implement a password reset mechanism.

The reset mechanism is purely to allow the user to log back into their account, but it will not allow users to read their existing files, as those would have been encrypted using their previous key. That isn't a problem if the files were encrypted using pre-exported keys, or if the files were shared with others with a specific shared key, but other than that, files will not be accessible without the original key.
so, fifty free gigs of relatively quick cloud storage, don't lose your password, may not work on haunted setups (that gateway's always developing problems or healing itself it seems, and identical setups don't always behave the same on it, but it's my oldest test mule and still a useful machine (main machine for the family/it's in the den and otherwise working well)).
the following wine package worked in the machine that was giving me problems:

MEGAsyncSetup.exe

not preferable, but works well enough (large, somewhat annoying popup replaces the out of the way tray icon, and you have to use wine--i used an older (191) 32 bit sfs and the 32bit lib comp pack--don't notice much of a dip in performance as those sfses have been loaded for months. the download (8 gb account) went smoothly, and so far no problems with subsequent syncs. if you already use wine, it's not a bad last resort).

Puppus Dogfellow

now 15 gigs and whiny

#42 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

i imagine i'm not the only one affected so i've changed the title from

mega.nz: 50 free gigs of cloud-syncable storage
like dropbox but 25 times more generous

to reflect the reduction i see in my account. i'm also getting emails from mega complaining i don't use it often enough and they reserve the right to delete the account if i continue to use it at a rate they deem insufficient.

nic007

Re: now 15 gigs and whiny

#43 Post by nic007 »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:i imagine i'm not the only one affected so i've changed the title from

to reflect the reduction i see in my account. i'm also getting emails from mega complaining i don't use it often enough and they reserve the right to delete the account if i continue to use it at a rate they deem insufficient.
That's strange. I have had an account for quite a long time, hardly use it at all but never get any "warning messages" from them. I have the application installed on my Windows machine and do have some files uploaded. Whenever I start the app (which is very rare) it starts to sync the files. Perhaps just open the app every now and then that it starts to sync so their system acknowledges that it's active?

s243a

#44 Post by s243a »

nic007 wrote:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:i imagine i'm not the only one affected so i've changed the title from

That's strange. I have had an account for quite a long time, hardly use it at all but never get any "warning messages" from them. I have the application installed on my Windows machine and do have some files uploaded. Whenever I start the app (which is very rare) it starts to sync the files. Perhaps just open the app every now and then that it starts to sync so their system acknowledges that it's active?
Is there any chance that this might be a phishing scam? Make sure that these emails are from mega.nz and not someone pretending to be them.
Find me on [url=https://www.minds.com/ns_tidder]minds[/url] and on [url=https://www.pearltrees.com/s243a/puppy-linux/id12399810]pearltrees[/url].

Puppus Dogfellow

#45 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

s243a wrote:
nic007 wrote:

Is there any chance that this might be a phishing scam? Make sure that these emails are from mega.nz and not someone pretending to be them.
they're not asking for info, just money toward the info they've already got, so i'm pretty sure it's legitimately whiny/threatening and not a phishing scam. also, the reduction from 50 to 15 seemed to take place without warning, which i find kind of annoying, and as to the suggestion of logging in now and again--it auto starts and that machine is shut off at least once or twice a month...--i feel i access the accounts on a regular basis though i may not be causing much traffic. what's it to them? i work for them now? i gotta do stuff for them?

anyway, here's what they sent:

MEGA <noreply@mega.nz>

Sun, Jun 16, 7:25 PM

to me

--

We notice that you haven’t used your MEGA account for quite some time. We would love to see you back!

You currently have 56595 files taking up 4.3 GB in your MEGA account.

MEGA is happy to offer generous free storage space to users that actively use MEGA. However, we reserve the right to delete your data if your account remains inactive for an extended amount of time.

If you want to guarantee the preservation of data in an inactive MEGA account, you can upgrade to PRO.

If you have forgotten your password, you can reset your account here.

Please note that all your data on MEGA is encrypted with your password, which only you control. If you want to retain access to the data in your MEGA account, you either need your password, an active session or your Recovery Key.

If you need any assistance or have any suggestions, feel free to contact us at support@mega.nz

Best regards,
— Team MEGA

Mega Limited 2019
seems kind of unfair and dishonest--the 50 turned out not to be 50, and then they come around to scrutinize my stuff and panhandle.

are your accounts still at 50 gig?

nic007

#46 Post by nic007 »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:
s243a wrote:
nic007 wrote: That's strange. I have had an account for quite a long time, hardly use it at all but never get any "warning messages" from them. I have the application installed on my Windows machine and do have some files uploaded. Whenever I start the app (which is very rare) it starts to sync the files. Perhaps just open the app every now and then that it starts to sync so their system acknowledges that it's active?
they're not asking for info, just money toward the info they've already got, so i'm pretty sure it's legitimately whiny/threatening and not a phishing scam. also, the reduction from 50 to 15 seemed to take place without warning, which i find kind of annoying, and as to the suggestion of logging in now and again--it auto starts and that machine is shut off at least once or twice a month...--i feel i access the accounts on a regular basis though i may not be causing much traffic. what's it to them? i work for them now? i gotta do stuff for them?

anyway, here's what they sent:

MEGA <noreply@mega.nz>

Sun, Jun 16, 7:25 PM

to me

--

We notice that you haven’t used your MEGA account for quite some time. We would love to see you back!

You currently have 56595 files taking up 4.3 GB in your MEGA account.

MEGA is happy to offer generous free storage space to users that actively use MEGA. However, we reserve the right to delete your data if your account remains inactive for an extended amount of time.

If you want to guarantee the preservation of data in an inactive MEGA account, you can upgrade to PRO.

If you have forgotten your password, you can reset your account here.

Please note that all your data on MEGA is encrypted with your password, which only you control. If you want to retain access to the data in your MEGA account, you either need your password, an active session or your Recovery Key.

If you need any assistance or have any suggestions, feel free to contact us at support@mega.nz

Best regards,
— Team MEGA

Mega Limited 2019
seems kind of unfair and dishonest--the 50 turned out not to be 50, and then they come around to scrutinize my stuff and panhandle.

are your accounts still at 50 gig?
It was still 50GB last time I checked (probably a month ago). I'll check whenever I use Windows again.