Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 19 Oct 2018, 14:46
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Auto-build a Puppy iso; single script with optional gui
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 17 of 19 [276 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 Next
wiak

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar 2018, 09:52    Post subject: makepup version 0.1.4 uploaded
Subject description: Added UbuntuArtful

makepup version 0.1.4 uploaded.

Changes ver 0.1.4:

Added UbuntuArtful

Fixed order of UbuntuTahr and UbuntuXenial

Haven't had time to test. Please let me know if any problems.

EDIT: Please note that though arm is included as an option in the gui menu, that is just a placeholder - arm is not currently supported in makepup (you need to use woof-CE manually for arm builds).
OvrMaHd

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar 2018, 15:54    Post subject:  

Oh Thank You,
I am at such a loss for term cmds but learning, The forum is so wonderfull, today will try unsquashing, last efforts on opening dvd-linux iso took 23 trys before success
Will follow this thread and report progress
Ovr
wiak

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar 2018, 22:51    Post subject:  

Had to re-upload makepup 0.1.4 because I realised Artful Pup had only been created for x86 (i.e. 32bit version) not 64bit. Hence makepup user has to choose a different release number from the gui depending on whether they are building a 32bit or a 64bit ubuntu (since 1 gives Artful when building 32bit x86 ubuntu pup whereas 1 gives tahrpup when building 64bit x86_64 ubuntu pup).

Please re-download makepup if you are previously downloaded ver 0.1.4 before I posted this message.

wiak
OvrMaHd

PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar 2018, 01:56    Post subject:  

Thank You,

Got it, maybe some time lapse for feedback from me, juggling resposibility, LOL

Ovr
OvrMaHd

PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar 2018, 01:56    Post subject:  

Thank You,

Got it, maybe some time lapse for feedback from me, juggling resposibility, LOL

Ovr
mistfire

PostPosted: Fri 30 Mar 2018, 06:59    Post subject:  

Hi @wiak is it possible to add these the following features on your script?

1. Set a default desktop environment.
For example if I want xfce environment for my pup to build. The script will download the entire suite of xfce desktop environment. If I select none then the DE components of puppy will not be included, Otherwise the jwm+rox desktop environment will be the default desktop. Also for JWM, ICEWM, or Desktop Environment without desktop let the user decide what will be their filemanager, whether Rox, spacefm, or PcmanFM

2. Configurable SFS compression settings. Let the user specify sfs compression if they want more compact pup by selecting block size from 128k-1M. Also the compression method whether gz, xz, or lz4

3. Allow to use initrd from other puppy. If the initrd is specified just edit the DISTRO_SPECS file and recompile the initrd

4. Allow to import kernel file and kernel modules from other puppy live cd. This will lessen the build process.
wiak

PostPosted: Fri 30 Mar 2018, 08:26    Post subject:  

mistfire wrote:
Hi @wiak is it possible to add these the following features on your script?

All your suggestions would be nice mistfire. However... makepup is just a simple frontend to woof-CE itself. If the facilities you would like (and they would be good) were available from woof-CE functions, they could no doubt be added to makepup.

wiak
mistfire

PostPosted: Fri 30 Mar 2018, 09:04    Post subject:  

@wiak well in that case just apply the features little by little. Selectable block size and selectable compression algorithm on creating sfs is the easiest to implement. Its the best to start with.
wiak

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar 2018, 21:13    Post subject:  

Hi mistfire,

My point is that makepup is no more really than a simple front-end to the woof-CE build system. I'm not intending or trying to make it the build system itself - it isn't even included as part of woof-CE. The creation of the sfs and so on are done by the scripts within woof-CE so the people creating these are the ones who would add alternative compression functionality and so on. That doesn't mean that an external program such as makepup couldn't intervene in the process once woof-CE scripts are downloaded. But I myself don't feel that is the best place to add or modify woof-CE functionality (though, to some extent, it could be done) - that would really just be a hack since woof-CE is the place woof-CE developments are continually being made - i.e. you could ask for same functionality additions, but on the woof-CE development thread would be my suggestion.

Alternatively, I am happy for anyone to fork makepup with a view to making it more than a front-end only for woof-CE - indeed fork isn't necessary: anyone who would like to take over makepup development is welcome - I'm kind of busy of other things just now, so that would actually suit me.

It has to also be understood that woof-CE hasn't been designed for any auto-create front-end in mind; it's not as if there is any published woof-CE API - so any change in woof-CE (for example, when Artful-Pup became part of woof-CE offerings) can stop makepup working. It is easier in such an environment to keep makepup as simple as it can be so more easily adapted to changes in woof-CE itself. So best of all would be for woof-CE itself to slowly be modified with a front-end API in mind - easier to keep both parts in sync then.

I'm just a regular murga forum member; not a Puppy Linux 'Steward' of any sort. I've never requested or been granted any Puppy git or repo access. I am in no way myself a part of the woof-CE development team, who may prefer an entirely different front-end approach to building Pups. As someone simply interested in developing new apps or systems (sometimes, when I'm in the mood or it suits me), I just wanted to offer something simple for woof-CE beginners (or as a quick-auto-build convenience).

wiak
wiak

PostPosted: Sun 29 Apr 2018, 18:32    Post subject: makepup version 0.1.5 uploaded  

makepup version 0.1.5 uploaded.

Changes ver 0.1.5:

Changed name UbuntuArtful to UbuntuPupBB

Haven't had time to test. Please let me know if any problems.

EDIT: Please note that though arm is included as an option in the gui menu, that is just a placeholder - arm is not currently supported in makepup (you need to use woof-CE manually for arm builds).

wiak
peebee

PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr 2018, 01:56    Post subject:  

Thanks - and apologies - I had meant to alert you to this change - but great that you noticed it for yourself. Cheers!
davids45

PostPosted: Thu 31 May 2018, 20:59    Post subject: Numbered lists of kernels
Subject description: Updated for Bionic?

G'day wiak,

I thought I'd do a few new makepup Pups after a six-months break from DIY Puppying.

I have replaced my make-pup-0.1.2 with 0.1.5, and made a couple of Pups with it. But I'm stuck trying to change the defaults in makepup.conf.

Between my 'boy-looks' and my 'senior moments' Embarassed , I cannot find the latest listing of the numbered kernels - to edit the conf file.

I'd like to do a Bionic or two but can't find any 'bionic' listing in the huge-kernels drop-down menu of the gui. There are 31 kernel options (twice?) but none have bionic or artful in their name.

Thanks for any help.

David S.
greengeek

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jun 2018, 15:14    Post subject:  

Hi Wiak, i just became aware of this project as a result of smokey's comments in the newsletter. Fascinating stuff! Unfortunately I am too far behind the 8 ball to become proficient so i wondered if i could chuck into the mix the first thought that came to my mind as I read the first few posts...

This project seems to be about assisting pup users to build an iso that represents the best pup for their needs.

I have often wondered if it might be possible to achieve something similar by using an "opposite" strategy. ie; instead of configuring a build script (as I think makepup is doing) and pulling all the desired building blocks together - start instead with a fully configured pup (all driver modules, libraries, wifi firmware etc etc) then after boot run a script ("unmakepup" comes to mind) to strip out all of the wifi fware etc that has not been used during the boot process (or first usage session) and produce a shrunken iso that represents the smallest iso that is capable of booting and running on that hardware.

You don't need another project of course (although I know you could achieve what I have been thinking about) - but I just wanted to throw an idea into the brainosphere.

Now I will get back to reading the rest of the thread...
Smile
peebee

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jun 2018, 15:37    Post subject: Re: Numbered lists of kernels
Subject description: Updated for Bionic?

davids45 wrote:
G'day wiak,

I thought I'd do a few new makepup Pups after a six-months break from DIY Puppying.

I have replaced my make-pup-0.1.2 with 0.1.5, and made a couple of Pups with it. But I'm stuck trying to change the defaults in makepup.conf.

Between my 'boy-looks' and my 'senior moments' Embarassed , I cannot find the latest listing of the numbered kernels - to edit the conf file.

I'd like to do a Bionic or two but can't find any 'bionic' listing in the huge-kernels drop-down menu of the gui. There are 31 kernel options (twice?) but none have bionic or artful in their name.

Thanks for any help.

David S.

Hi David

I haven't loaded any kernels used in artful / bionic up to ibiblio - which probably explains why they're not in the list. The set on ibiblio is getting a bit "long in the tooth" now but there are kernels in many places with links available on the forum - I don't know if wiak's tool is able to make use of these or not - but in a traditional woof-ce build you just put the kernel you want to use into the huge_kernel folder.....

The name of a kernel is purely that - just a name - what really matters is the huge config file which defines which modules are included and what firmware is included. Sometimes the name gives a clue as to which build the kernel was first used in.

Cheers
peebee

nosystemdthanks

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jun 2018, 18:39    Post subject:  

great idea. this was sort of the idea around refractahrpup, except that one mixed two isos together instead of building from woof-ce

i tried woof-ce, i thought it should be more like this makepup idea:

automatic by default-- lots of options that are... optional.

i consider this its own class of tools-- youve got makepup, refractahrpup, olpc-builder (builds olpc platform automatically from ubuntu.)

and the best part is, people can download custom distributions without distributing isos. which means that if you make a small change, people dont have to download the entire iso again-- they can just run the program and (if most of it is cached) download the part that has changed.
Page 17 of 19 [276 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: