Remastering Puppy

Using applications, configuring, problems
davids45

Remastering Puppy

#1 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

I'm making remastered versions of quite a few Pups as this seems to give a slightly faster Pup compared to the basic Pup with many added sfs or pets.

I add a module in normal Pups (with Boot Manager) to access my hardware monitors (temp, fan-speed).
I'd like to include this module in the remaster so it's there without having to again use the Boot Manager.

So far, each remaster hasn't automatically included this added module.

Where does this hardware module end up loaded in the Pup, and can I add it (activate it) during one of the opportunities offered during the remaster?

David S.

willithepuppy

#2 Post by willithepuppy »

Exactly what I have noticed. Not all settings are applied to the Remaster CD in normal way. Try this:
Load your driver. Check if everything works.
Then remaster Puppy. At the question "Shell Puppy create zdrv as single File answer "No". At stop "Puppy has created a new root directory, go to /tmp and delete the directory "root". Copy your still exististing root directory into /tmp. Important: Dont forget, that the hidden file .XLOADED in /root must be deleted before clicking OK, otherwise, the next time you'll start, you will get a message that X did not load properly.

Also do with /etc at the stoppoint. You do not have to delete or change anything here.

Go on, since the the message "Ready to burn the CD" appears. And crate a new ISO.

Now all your drivers and settings are included.

That's the way I've been using for several years, because I've completely commented out creating a Save-File or not and the question about it.

Of course, Puppy will only work on your existing hardware now, because all the settings are really saved.
In my case, that is exactly what I want. Absolutely no changes are saved, and there are no questions about it, because I run Puppy every time only in RAM.
Only my Portable Firefox is out of the system and saves any changes I've done.

OscarTalks

#3 Post by OscarTalks »

I think the file is /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG
There is an "ADDLIST" section in this file.
I do all my remastering by manually editing the contents of the main Puppy .sfs so I have not used the remastering tools for a long time, but I seem to recall there is a step where you are given the option to include the changes to the files under /etc
Oscar in England

davids45

Including modules (and Startup script)

#4 Post by davids45 »

G'day willithepuppy & OscarTalks,

Thanks for both your replies to my small problem with remastering Pups after I've added all my applications and otherwise tweaked the Pups.
I think the file is /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG
There is an "ADDLIST" section in this file.
I do see the module I add with Boot Manager in this location so that is good to know :) . I'll try that as a quicker way than with Boot Manager to add the module during setting up a fresh Pup.
......remaster Puppy. At the question "Shall Puppy create zdrv as single File answer "No". At stop "Puppy has created a new root directory, go to /tmp and delete the directory "root". Copy your still exististing root directory into /tmp. Important: Dont forget, that the hidden file .XLOADED in /root must be deleted before clicking OK, otherwise, the next time you'll start, you will get a message that X did not load properly.

Also do with /etc at the stoppoint. You do not have to delete or change anything here.
This looks like a most useful tip to get around my missing module issue :D .

I will do this with the /etc directory which will include the module addition.

As I also miss a Startup program in /root during the remaster if I forget to edit the /tmp /root :oops: , just switching in the Pup's entire /root - after deleting .XLOADED - seems an excellent idea.

These should give me the pseudo clone of my Pup that I'm wanting from the remaster.

These remasters are for use on my main desktop so the potential problem of such a remaster not running on another computer is not (yet) an issue. I have three other desktops of the same type (HP Smallforms from 2005-7) on my home network so I may have a play with them when not being played on by grandchildren :roll: .

Thanks again both for your helpful and informative replies.

David S.