Will Puppy work in Pentium w/ 512 MB of RAM?

Booting, installing, newbie
jsorcha

Will Puppy work in Pentium w/ 512 MB of RAM?

#1 Post by jsorcha »

Good evening. I have an old Compaq Presario from the early 2000's, a Pentium processor, and maybe 512 RAM. Will I be able to use Puppy on it? Is there an older version of Puppy that might work better? Thanks.

matchpoint

#2 Post by matchpoint »

Hey Jsorcha mate. Is this a Pentium 3 or 4?

The newer ones, no. The furthest I'd go back is with Precise-5.7.1-retro here.

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

A lot of Puppy versions will probably work OK.
The very newest Puppies are more about supporting the newest hardware, but they do still work on a lot of old hardware.

This info would help to give you some specific Puppies to try.
Compaq Presario
What model?
Pentium processor
That is kind of the clue we need.
What exact version of the Pentium????

The amount of Ram is OK.

Tahrpup 6.0.5 should work OK unless this is one of the very first Pentiums that was not made very well.
But even it may work OK.
The thing about Puppy is, you never know what will work until you just try it.
Any Puppy 5 or 6 series should probably work.
Here they are:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/

Note:
Probably only 32 bit Puppies for this processor.
If the Puppy iso does not have 64 in the name, it is 32 bit.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, jsorcha.

I ran Tahrpup 6.0.5 on a 2002 Dell Inspiron lappie for quite some time. With a Pentium 4, and a gig of RAM, it was.....steady (not blazing fast), but it ran OOTB, and was very reliable.

As others have said, the model of Pentium will make a big difference to what can be recommended. The Pentium 4's came with the SSE2 instruction set, which is considered the bare minimum requirement for running a web browser nowadays.....although there are even workarounds for that. And a web browser is the one thing most folks do want, if they don't run anything else.

Generally speaking, a P4 and a minimum of 512 MB RAM ought to give you a halfway reasonable experience with Pup. If you could let us know the specs in a bit more detail, please; CPU, amount of RAM, size of HDD (if there is one!), type of graphics chip/card.....that kinda thing. Failing that, the exact make and model number would help.

Mike :wink:

Fossil

#5 Post by Fossil »

jsorcha,
To confirm: I'm writing this while running Puppy Tahrpup 6.0.5, on an old Compaq Presario V5000, AMD Sempron 3300+, Socket U23, with 512 megs RAM and the same amount of swap.
The computer was a 'gift' as it was considered inoperable due to some fool ripping out the USB connectors. Don't ask why; I don't know.
As for Mike Walsh's old Dell, it's going down in computer history as, 'The one that could'! :)

keniv

#6 Post by keniv »

I run an old Toshiba laptop 800MHz P3 320MB (this is the max ram that can be installed). I have used a number of pups on it but my favourite is lucid 5287. This has been updated a number of times. I prefer the 2016 version. It can also use a modern browser in the form of palemoon. It is a little slow but is also updatable. I also use racy 5.5. There is also an update for this. I've applied this update. Both of these os make this machine very usable.

Regards,

Ken.

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

Fossil wrote:As for Mike Walsh's old Dell, it's going down in computer history as, 'The one that could'! :)

"...I thang you! I thang you..." :D :lol:

(Yuk-yuk-yuk..!!....*groan*)

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Fri 16 Mar 2018, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.

Fossil

#8 Post by Fossil »

Most welcome! Most welcome, old boy! Chin-chin! :wink: :roll:

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

Fossil wrote:Most welcome! Most welcome, old boy! Chin-chin! :wink: :roll:
Chin-chin! Would you like ice & a slice with your G & T, old boy..? :lol: :lol:

Mike. :D :wink:

tallboy

#10 Post by tallboy »

Oh my, oh my, see what happens when 2 limeys meet in a forum... :lol: :lol: :lol:
keniv, stay north of that border, or else you see what may happen to you! :shock:
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

tallboy wrote:Oh my, oh my, see what happens when 2 limeys meet in a forum... :lol: :lol: :lol:
keniv, stay north of that border, or else you see what may happen to you! :shock:
Ah, what you're forgetting is that Fossil's got the same ancient Dell as me. Except his, I believe, is 'headless'. (No screen!)

He calls his the 'Dell from Hell...' :lol:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 069#809069

Fossil

#12 Post by Fossil »

Ah, what you're forgetting is that Fossil's got the same ancient Dell as me. Except his, I believe, is 'headless'. (No screen!)
The old girl is still chugging along, 'Enery the 8th style - albeit without the main battery which has finally died. Yet, amazingly, the small internal (CR2032 type) CMOS battery is still going strong. Which says a lot for that type of battery: I had one in a newly purchased 1966 photographic light meter which continued until well into the late 1980's. There's memories, look you!
Back on topic; this old 'comp' will still run just about anything 32-bit Puppy has to offer. So if jsorcha is stilll around and reading this, please try at last one of the Puppy Linux offerings - you will be surprised!
@ Mike Walsh - Ice would be nice! Perhaps tallboy could export some? He's also welcome, along with keniv, to pop around for a spot of tiffin - crumpets, too! :lol:

tallboy

#13 Post by tallboy »

:lol:
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

keniv

#14 Post by keniv »

Hello All,
Thanks for the invite. I do have relations south of the border and my father came from Hampshire. Fossil's not the only one with a headless machine still running. I've got two of these Toshibas. The display stopped working on one so I removed it and now I have a topless laptop. I use it in my shed. I have an old lcd tv bought for £5 as a nonworker. It has scart, composite video and vga inputs. I use vga with the Toshiba on which I keep vintage radio and tv data as vintage electronics is a bit of a hobby for me. I also run wine on it as I have a couple of windows programs that I run as well. I have a digital tv box connected to scart and a cheap Chinese android box running Kodi and some software defined radio programs. The android box is the best spect machine I've got. The old machine in the shed is still doing good work. I have wifi out there as well. Should have said in my last that I also run precise 5.7.1.

Regards,

Ken.

SmartDuck

#15 Post by SmartDuck »

Running Slacko 6.3.2 on an old Dell Latitude D505 from 2004 with 512MB ram watching youtube movies, so you will be fine running one of the Puppies.

bigpup

#16 Post by bigpup »

jsorcha,
You still out there?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#17 Post by Mike Walsh »

bigpup wrote:jsorcha,
You still out there?
D'you think we've frightened him/her (must be 'PC' these days) away with our 'off-beat' humour? We did rather hijack the thread a bit.....

Perhaps we owe him/her an apology. :oops:

(Or perhaps he/she doesn't get online very often. We'll have to wait & see...)