ArtfulPup (& Upup-Bionic-Beaver-RC)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
peebee

#521 Post by peebee »

petihar wrote:Hello peebee,
I just tried your bionic puppy on my acer Aspire V5, with the french langpack, at first glance everything works perfectly. It's great work, thank you very much. If you accept, it will serve me probably basis for my next Triton. :wink: .
Bien à toi, petihar.
Please wait until Bionic Beaver is released by Ubuntu on 26th April followed by Upup-BB sometime later.....currently Alpha!!
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Marv

#522 Post by Marv »

Running +2 as my daily with no major issues. I still don't have direct rendering on the i915 hardware. The crda error messages in dmesg have stayed gone since I added the wireless-regdb and set the wireless reg domain. Could someone with non intel video and possible a non ath9k wireless card run the following in terminal and see what the results are: "glxgears" and "dmesg | grep crda" ? Thanks. Also hoping Ubuntu sorts the GLib-GObject-CRITICAL issues by release.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Billtoo

ArtfulPup (& Upup-Bionic-Beaver-Alpha)

#523 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to a 4gb lexar jd firefly usb-2.0 flash drive:

System: Host: puppypc6548 Kernel: 4.9.86-lxpup-32-pae i686 bits: 32 Desktop: JWM 2.3.7 Distro: UBB-Pup 18.03
Machine: Device: desktop System: Compaq Presario 061 product: DQ182A-ABA S6700NX NA410 v: 0nB1411RE101COBRA10 serial: MXM41001K5
Mobo: ASUSTeK model: Cobra v: 1.xx serial: X312345678
BIOS: American Megatrends v: 3.28 date: 08/27/2004
CPU: Single core Intel Pentium 4 (-MT-) speed: 2800 MHz (max)
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV530 [Radeon X1600 PRO]
Display Server: X.Org 1.19.6 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card: Realtek RTL-8100/8101L/8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter driver: 8139too
Drives: HDD Total Size: 324.1GB (1.4% used)
Weather: Conditions: 30 F (-1 C) - light snow Time: March 13, 9:25 AM EDT
Info: Processes: 170 Uptime: 13 min Memory: 145.7/2264.6MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.56

Have only installed gkrellm and inxi but will do more shortly.
So far so good.

Thanks.
--------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:
Added smtube + vlc-3.01,streaming video is hard work for this pc but it gets the job done.
Attachments
screenshot3.jpg
(51.01 KiB) Downloaded 722 times
screenshot2.jpg
(110.05 KiB) Downloaded 728 times
screenshot.jpg
(36.44 KiB) Downloaded 712 times

peebee

#524 Post by peebee »

+4 delta adds wireless-regdb and includes Frisbee fix

833746963d48f3338ea75d8ecf8c86fe Upup_Bionic_Beaver-18.03+4.iso
Last edited by peebee on Thu 15 Mar 2018, 10:16, edited 2 times in total.
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

davids45

Drive icons poor display - a fix

#525 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

I have been able to find a fix for the inability of Upup Bionic to re-display my drive icons so both a and b drives are aligned across the screen bottom, not overlapping, and without their labels (check an earlier post of mine in this thread for the issue).

The problem seems to be an incomplete(?) version of eventmanager in /usr/sbin.

Copying the bigger version of eventmanager in XenialPup-7.5 to BionicPup alpha, after deleting the smaller problem file in /usr/sbin, I can now re-position my 28-odd drive icons from the default overflowing/overlapping columns and other unsatisfactory arrangements offered by the Bionic-supplied eventmanager to well-spaced and label-free rows.

Another ongoing irritation I've had with recent Pups (not just BionicPup which is only alpha after all) is clutter with irrelevant 'places' for opening files in the 'Open file' window.
To fix this, I deleted all the lines in /etc/fstab. This then does de-clutter the 'Open file' dialog window, however I don't know if this has any effect elsewhere.
So far, so good in quite a few now un-cluttered Pups.

Hoping this ad-hoc-ery may help someone else,

David S.
Attachments
bionic-pinoard-fix-eventmanager.jpg
pinboard after replacing eventmanager
(87.5 KiB) Downloaded 656 times
Last edited by davids45 on Tue 13 Mar 2018, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.

artsown

#526 Post by artsown »

No problems here so far with BB alpha. It shows so much promise that
I'll be installing it on other computers and testing apps that I rarely or
never use. Looks like a potential winner to me :)

Art

Marv

#527 Post by Marv »

updated to +3T on the intel i5 laptop. Running well (haven't tested frisbee as SNS has been rock solid for me for a while & I don't roam :) ). The wireless-regdb addition working, no crda errors in dmesg. Thanks. Still no direct rendering on the i915 hardware. The only Warnings in dmesg at this point are acpi resource conflicts and they have been present in multiple kernels/pups on this hardware for a while now with no seeming effect on any operation.

Code: Select all

# glxgears
Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Smithy

#528 Post by Smithy »

Really good that modular A drive idea that has the browser in it.
Would be good to see a few alternative A drive slot ins from OscarTalks and others who do browsers. That would make things easier because they are always changing them.

I found that turning off some of the services in the boot manager made a difference in performance and app errors, namely the systemd and machine id.

I also tried Radkey Stretch kernel 4.1.48, pretty good and also cpiez phil66 kernel 3.17.7, even better.
Just wondering if it is ok to swap a lower version kernel in or will there be trouble?
I wanted to try a 2.6.33.7 just to see.

This is relating to Artful, since the Bionic cake won't be baked until after Easter!

artsown

#529 Post by artsown »

peebee

#530 Post by peebee »

artsown wrote:BB Errors updating ppm:

http://home.ptd.net/~artnpeg/Screenshot.png

Art
Hi Art

Those are the same errors that are appearing in all apps.....they don't look nice but don't seem to affect to affect functionality.

Were the ppm databases updated correctly?

As they are produced by Xdialog they may be fixable in a similar way to frisbee....but we really want the errors to "go away".....

I've been trying to find which ubuntu package supplies GTlsBackend but have so far drawn a blank....

peebee

#531 Post by peebee »

Smithy wrote:Would be good to see a few alternative A drive slot ins
Just wondering if it is ok to swap a lower version kernel in or will there be trouble?
Hi Smithy

There are a selection of alternative browsers at:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... /browsers/

which may work (untested).

The only thing to watch with kernels is how much firmware is included in the zdrv - but if you keep the fdrv together with a different zdrv then you should be covered even if it is somewhat belt and braces.

Of course older kernels may not have drivers at all for newer hardware....but if you're using older hardware then this shouldn't be a problem.

Smithy

#532 Post by Smithy »

Thanks for info peebee, I'll get me belt and braces on.

peebee

#533 Post by peebee »

Further to above re: alternate browsers - on a quick test all the browsers seem to work i.e. they start.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(98.03 KiB) Downloaded 812 times

artsown

#534 Post by artsown »

@peebee:
No problems with anything I've installed via ppm using BB, and there have
been several items. It's particularly nice to have qpdfview available via ppm.
Probably it's too large for you to replace evince, but it's far superior.

No problems with BB on a 2nd computer either. Since all six of my computers
are in a "goldilocks zone" (not new but not terribly old) I don't anticipate any
problems with BB on any of them.

This "alpha" stuff is a myth :)

Art

peebee

#535 Post by peebee »

+5 delta

.iso md5 = 9f6cdf0b9d62a45a39d7142f76a364fb Upup_Bionic_Beaver-18.03+5.iso

- some mime-type fixes
- Ubuntu-BB updates

Marv

#536 Post by Marv »

BBPup +3 updated to +5 on my i5 referenced above. No glitches noted, glxgears failure to run as noted above is unchanged. Subjective speed excellent though.

re browsers: Your Slimjet run-as-spot runs flawlessly here and is very clean/devoid of advertising once set up. It's the last 32b slimmie alas.
re md5sums: I like having the iso md5sum in the post as as in this thread as opposed to in a separate text file per your LxPupSC updates. An easy cut and paste to check and saves a couple of steps.
re kernels: On the i5 hardware I have no problems at all running newer (gone as far as your 4.15.9 64b) in BBPup or somewhat older (the original ArtfulPup 4.4.59 32b ). I haven't gone any older than that. Core 2 duo hardware balks at the 4.15.9 64b (video glitches).

Happily using ubbpup as my daily.

Thanks,

artsown

#537 Post by artsown »

Small issue using BB without adrv:
Menu - internet - Light
The error message mentions "Artful" instead of "bionic beaver"

Art

hamoudoudou

Bionic will be very different of Artful..

#538 Post by hamoudoudou »

I consider artfulpup as the final show of Xenial, yustus, zesty, artful being last improvements.
Bionic is a new area, with major changes. Please let alive topic about artful.
And in April, try to success on a topic about Bionic.
Perhaps other teams will create it, as for xenialpup.

peebee

#539 Post by peebee »

ArtfulPup Update +16 - updates from upstream Ubuntu

.iso md5 = 2b856974ebf64ac5e30aa3b2bc167b0d artfulpup-17.11+16.iso

ally

#540 Post by ally »

peebee

I get failed to create new file

:)