How to wake laptops from suspend?

Using applications, configuring, problems
zippytex

How to wake laptops from suspend?

#1 Post by zippytex »

I used to use acpitool -s to suspend my computer puppy lucid 5.2.8.005, but now it will suspend it, but not bring it back. I have to reboot and enter xwin at the prompt. Might as well just shut it down everytime.

Has anyone had this problem? Is there some way a pet package could be made to suspend and restore the system for laptops?

Thanks, Mary

mini-jaguar

#2 Post by mini-jaguar »

use the .pet from this thread, it's going to put an additional battery on your taskbar but it works really well:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 11&t=71599
although I'm not sure it's what you're looking for

zippytex

suspend and hibernate

#3 Post by zippytex »

It doesn't involve the battery.

I know just a little about linux, not enough to really know anything.

I want to use acpitool -s to suspend my computer and then just by touching the power button once, have it spring back to life.

In the past, it has done this successfully. But these latest versions are working with acpitool as before.

Is there something else I could use like I used acpitool?

Thanks very much for the help. :)

pemasu

#4 Post by pemasu »

Try frost.

Type in console: frost
and you get the info of the usage....basically it is: frost -m
Attachments
frost-0.0.1.pet
(2.21 KiB) Downloaded 609 times

zippytex

frost and acpi

#5 Post by zippytex »

With Frost:
frost -m this did suspend to ram, however when I touch the power button it acts like it might reappear, but the screen stays black and a dog barks. I have to restart the computer.

With acpitool:
acpitool - s I get the following error message:
Function Do_Suspend : could not open file : to suspend your computer you must have write access to /proc/acpi/sleep to suspend your computer.

These two items were used on the latest edition of Slacko.

Thanks for your help.
I use a Toshiba Tecra M9, 2GB of ram, 2ghz.

pemasu

#6 Post by pemasu »

I think you should not press power button. But whatever button in keyboard. Otherwise....it works...or not..

zippytex

pushing button other than power button

#7 Post by zippytex »

Nothing happens.

When I press the power button and it is suspended, it does come back on, because the dog barks, but there is no display.

pemasu

#8 Post by pemasu »

That barking from power button probably comes from acpid pet installation. You have installed the acpid pet or puppy has the shutdown enabled with power button.

And if you suspend from console: frost -m
Does it behave just the same. Forget the power button, you seem to have coupled the frost -m command to the power button. Makes easier to understand your errors if you dont use it at all.
I have modified PupShutdown coupled with power button and sleep button coupled with suspend using xbindkeys.
But when I test suspending application...I test it with giving the command in console. Makes easier to understand does it work or not.

Next thing. You posted that acpitool -s used to work. If you boot your puppy pfix=ram ie fresh frugal installation, does the suspend work with acpitool -s or with frost -m ( giving the command in console and trying to wake it up by pressing keyboard buttons )

zippytex

I got it to suspend by closing the lid

#9 Post by zippytex »

Maybe it is just my Tecra Satellite M9 laptop. I do not know why it works.

I close the lid and it goes into suspend, the little amber light slowly goes on and off. Then just by opening the lid, the desktop comes back.

I do not know enough to say why, I am just grateful.

Thanks to all of you for your interest and help in my problem.

I wish I was as smart as you, but at 70, there is not time left!

Mary :lol:

zippytex

SOLVED! thanks to all who help

#10 Post by zippytex »

Thank you pemasu for your suggestion of using frost.pet.

I am using Slacko 5.5 now and installed the frost.pet.
I use the terminal to enter "frost -m" and it enters suspend and I close the lid.
Then when I open the lid it comes back on and I only have to close the terminal window! Hooray!!!!

I am using a Toshiba Tecra M9 laptop with a duo 2ghz processor and 3 GB of RAM and it works!

Thank you all!
Mary

Les Kerf

#11 Post by Les Kerf »

pemasu wrote:
Try frost.

Type in console: frost
and you get the info of the usage....basically it is: frost -m
I have searched and searched to find a way to get my laptop running Lucid Puppy to suspend to ram, and this is the first thing that has worked.

Now, I would like to get it to suspend to ram when I close the lid like it does in Slacko 5.7 8)

I am running a poor man's frugal install (booting with a cd, all files including save file on hard drive) of Super Lucid on an Acer Aspire 7741Z-4643 laptop. 3 GB of ram, Pentium P6100 processor @ 2 GHz.

I simply want to be able to close the lid and have it suspend to ram, then open the lid, press the power button, and go to work.

Thanks,
Les

Edit: I will try asking in the Lucid thread.

kiramm
Location: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 393#988393

i tried this on my x thar 2.0 but pet installed frost -m co

#12 Post by kiramm »

i tried this on my x thar 2.0 which i start every time with dvd but have save file on hd but pet installed . frost -m comand suspends for 2 sec then all back
is there an other solution possible?

pleaseeeee i need laptop all day on but not with ventilator sound:(
on slacko 64 suspend worked bbbest

frost -d ...0effect