How to access a file on another disk ?

Booting, installing, newbie
Hetejas

How to access a file on another disk ?

#1 Post by Hetejas »

sda1 is my system disk and I have a lot of files on sdb1.
When I open KMyMoney or Write or Excel, I need to be able to open files on sdb but I cant access them.
So how do I make them available to these programs as well as "file" ?
thanks

don570

#2 Post by don570 »

Type 'pmount' in terminal. (It should also be in start menu)
and see if it shows your hard drive.

However your version of puppy may be having problems detecting
a windows formated hard drive. The ntfs driver is installed automatically
but in some machines it has problems.

mikeslr

#3 Post by mikeslr »

You've got me a little confused. Write and Excel are applications which run under Windows, unless you're running them under Wine under Linux. KMyMoney is an application which runs under the KDE windows manager, but there is a Windows version. KDE is not ordinarily a window manager used by Puppies. If you're running a dual-boot system, Windows on sda1 and some Puppy on a Linux Formatted sdb drive, Windows can't read Linux Formatted drives "Out of the Box". But you can install an application under Windows which will enable it to read such drives.

Like Don suggested, pmount should mount (open) drives formatted for Windows (i.e., ntfs, Fat32 even Fat16). But that door doesn't swing both ways. Rather "Felines do have canines; but Canines don't have felines."

Please provide a fuller explanation regarding the operating systems on your computer; which Puppy and how the two drives are formatted.

mikesLr

davids45

Software for Windows to Read/write Linux partitions

#4 Post by davids45 »

G'day Hetejas,

I read your post to mean you are using a Windows program in Windows (on sda1) and want to read data files on a Linux-formated partition, sdb1.

You need to install a program in Windows that will allow this.

I used to use a program called Ext2Fsd when I had Windows XP. But Ext2Fsd.exe and similar programs are now very old and probably outdated, both because it was XP and because it would only read/write to ext2 or ext3 formats.

You did not mention which Windows you have, nor the format of sdb1. These are important in finding the right software, if I understand your problem.

You should search for available Windows programs (that match your version of Windows) that enable your Windows to read/write to Linux partitions, particularly noting how you had formatted sdb1 (e.g. ext2, ext3 or ext4).

I can't recall any insoluble problems with Ext2Fsd in XP as it was simple to re-install in XP if it lost a partition connection.

Now I use wine in Puppies to run older Windows versions of Excel etc - you could try this if your Windows programs are not too new. Look for forum member version2013's threads of various wine pets and sfs.

Good luck.

David S.

Hetejas

#5 Post by Hetejas »

don570 wrote:Type 'pmount' in terminal. (It should also be in start menu)
and see if it shows your hard drive.

However your version of puppy may be having problems detecting
a windows formated hard drive. The ntfs driver is installed automatically
but in some machines it has problems.

Hetejas

#6 Post by Hetejas »

There is a generic version of "write" that comes with Xenial and Nothing that I am trying to run is a Windows app.
I am not running Wine nor any version of such.
The particular program that I use a ton of is KMyMoney and I keep the data file on sdb1.
And now it does not show so that I can open it.
Let me see if I can find out what version of Xenial that I am running====

Code: Select all

Distro: xenialpup64 7.5
Window Manager: JWM v2.3.7
Desktop Start: xwin jwm

Development:
 Bash: 4.3.42
 Geany: 1.27
 Gtkdialog: 0.8.4
 Perl: 5.22.1
 Python: 2.7.12
 Yad: 0.27.0
 --
 busybox: 1.23.1
 dhcpcd: 6.6.2
 Glibc: 2.23
 OpenSSL: 1.0.2g  1 Mar 2016, built on: reproducible build, date unspecified
 wpa_supplicant: 2.4

Hetejas

#7 Post by Hetejas »

Kinda weird. I fired up the puppy equivalent of Excel to see if it would let me access a file on sdb1.
I had to find it as file system/mount/sdb1.

However when I just tried Puppy Paint, I could not find a way to access any files on sdb1.

matchpoint

#8 Post by matchpoint »

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, Hetejas.

Sounds to me more like a simple case of needing the drive mounted in order to access it.

There's a fairly straight-forward way round this.....and it involves using the very powerful Puppy 'sym-link' function. This is how I would approach this; I'll describe the necessary steps below.

First, you need to decide how you want to (a) mount the drive/partition; then, you (b) set up the 'sym-link'.

--------------------------------------------------

a - MOUNT THE PARTITION:-

You can do this one of two ways; either manually mount the drive/partition in question when you first boot.....or set it to 'auto-mount' at boot.

1. To manually mount, the easiest way is simply to click on the relevant drive icon. It'll come up with an 'X' in the top-right corner, indicating it's mounted, and a ROX-filer window will open showing the contents. You can then close this window.

2. To auto-mount:-

If you right-click on any of your drive icons, bottom left of your desktop, you should get the option to 'Run PMount Puppy Drive Mounter'. If you then click on this, you will first see a small box appear, saying 'Please wait; probing hardware...'; then, it will open up PMount.

IF you see an entry for drive 'sdb', with detected partitions listed below this, then click on the required partition in the column to the left (sdb1?), and choose the option to 'Mount at boot'. Then, hit the 'Refresh' button. This updates PMount's information state, and that partition will then auto-mount at boot in future.

This will link the contents of sdb1? into the main Puppy 'file-tree'. In Linux, everything is a 'file'.....even directories/folders. They're all seen as individual files.

------------------------------------------------

b - SET-UP THE SYMLINK:-

Once you've decided how you want to do the above, and have implemented it, open up sdb1? by clicking on it.

What you want to do is to create a new directory/folder, giving it a name. Right-click in an empty space; select 'New', then 'Directory'. Type a name into the box, and hit 'OK'. You should now have a new directory showing, with your chosen name. Call it 'My Files' (or whatever).

Now, you want to move all the files/folders that you wish to access into the new directory you've just created. High-light them all, by clicking on them while holding down 'Ctrl'. When they're all selected, click and hold on any one of them, and drag across to the new directory.....then release the mouse button. A small window will appear, giving 4 options; 'Copy', 'Move', 'Link(relative)', 'Link(absolute)'. Select 'Move'. This will move everything into your new directory.

Now; leave this window open. Click on 'File' (top-left corner of desktop) to open a second ROX-filer window on your 'home' (/root) directory. Back to the first window. Click (and hold) on the new directory you've just created, which now contains all your files you wish to access. Drag this across to the second window on /root, and 'drop'. In the small window that appears, select 'Link(absolute)'. You should now see a copy of the new directory in /root, along with a small arrow in its top corner; this indicates it's a sym-link.

All done!

Clicking on this in future will access the directory on sdb1? with all your files in it. Moreover, when you wish to access these from any app, you'll be able to select them simply by navigating through the sym-link in ROX-filer to the folder/file that you want.

Hope that's of some use.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 26 Feb 2018, 00:59, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

A drive/partition has to be mounted to access it in the file system.

If there is a desktop icon for sdb1.
Left mouse click on it to mount it.
Or mount it by using Pmount program. menu>Filesystem>Pmount

Now when you try to access it in a Linux program.
Like MtPaint
it will be found at /mnt/sdb1

All drives/partitions are accessed in the file system only after getting mounted. They are accessed from /mnt/
However when I just tried Puppy Paint, I could not find a way to access any files on sdb1.
Example using MtPaint:
Attachments
capture7602.png
(18.95 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
Last edited by bigpup on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 23:49, edited 3 times in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Hetejas

#11 Post by Hetejas »

Mike, that is worth more than just "some" use.
As things stood, I already had a single folder on sdb1 that contained all my files. I merely had to create the sym link to it, and that was a whole lot easier than I have seen elsewhere.
I am forever in your debt.

:D

Mike Walsh

#12 Post by Mike Walsh »

Excellent. Glad I could help.

Now you'll know how to do it yourself in future. I, and a few others, have probably taken use of the sym-link far further than was perhaps envisaged by its developer; we run entire groups of programs/apps from remote data partitions, by sym-linking every single file/folder/directory into the appropriate places where Puppy would expect to find them. In this way, you can run a single, common instance of any program across multiple Puppies.

And it works.....extremely well, as it happens. But that's somewhat more 'advanced stuff'..! :lol:

Pup's designed to be easy; you just gotta learn all the little 'tricks of the trade'. Takes time, but if you're willing to learn, there's plenty of folks on here who will be more than willing to help you.

Mike. :wink:

Hetejas

#13 Post by Hetejas »

And the sym link makes it really easy to reinstall puppy without having to worry about destroying data. A big plus in my opiniin.