[solved] sleeping monitor takes over 10 minutes to wake

Using applications, configuring, problems
nubc

[solved] sleeping monitor takes over 10 minutes to wake

#1 Post by nubc »

This is Tahrpup 6.0.5 on a Dell Precision 390, dual core 2.8 GHz, invidia graphics nouveau/Gallium 0.4 on NV96/3.0 Mesa 10.1.3, 4 GB ram, 4TB hdd. This monitor does not go to screensaver when inactive, it goes directly to a blank screen with blinking power light, after about 10 minutes of inactivity. If the computer has been inactive for over 30 minutes or so, it is very resistant to being awakened. At least 10 minutes of vigorous mouse and keyboard action is required to bring it back to display mode, and there is no known specific action that will awaken it. This is annoying in the extreme. I would like to prevent the monitor from going into Sleep mode. I apologize if I have confused sleep and hibernating, as I have never completely understood those different states. When I can I prevent the monitor from sleeping, i enable screensaver after 30 minutes of inactivity. I expect the monitor to resume display when the mouse is moved. Please suggest remedies to this condition, and give specific instructions.
Last edited by nubc on Tue 20 Feb 2018, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

First, is there any internal settings in the monitor that control this?
Some monitors have such settings.
The monitor itself goes into a kind of power-down mode and the screen turns off.
What is the monitor make and model?

Puppy Event Manager>Power
This is set to "0" so it is not controlling anything?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

nubc

#3 Post by nubc »

Puppy Event Mgr > Power = 0
Samsung SyncMaster 930B 19" monitor. I hate the controls on this monitor.

This behavior got worse. After trying to wake for 15 minutes, I resorted to a hard shutdown. Display remained black during subsequent boot. I repeated, same negative result. I substituted another identical monitor, same result. The video card is dual high def, so there are two vid connectors, so I switched to the other connector, no improvement. Then I turned the monitor off then on, and the display came on, finally. The color is awful on this replacement monitor.

matchpoint

#4 Post by matchpoint »

Hey nubc, kernel and driver bugs aside, see if this suggestion prevents your monitor from that 10 minute drop.

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.session idle-delay 0
Figure your "session" info with:

Code: Select all

gsettings list-schemas | grep session
If it doesn't work, is this behavior the same with other live boot distros?

You know, something like antiX or Peppermint?

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

The video card is dual high def, so there are two vid connectors, so I switched to the other connector, no improvement. Then I turned the monitor off then on, and the display came on
What is the graphics card?

If it is very old, I would take a good look at it for physical condition.
Look very close for bulging or leaking capacitors.

Sure the graphics card is still plugged into the motherboard securely, no contact corrosion?

Sure the connection cable between computer and monitor is good?
YaPI(any iso installer)

matchpoint

#6 Post by matchpoint »

Cap, e.g., "My samsung monitor is stuck in sleep mode" | Best Answer

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

Several troubleshooting guides say to check the connection cable from computer to monitor.

Manual for Samsung monitor.
This monitor has a built-in power management system called PowerSaver. This system saves energy
by switching your monitor into a low-power mode when it has not been used for a certain amount of
time. The monitor automatically returns to normal operation when you press a key on the keyboard.
YaPI(any iso installer)

nubc

#8 Post by nubc »

The long wait must have been caused by the original monitor, which I have replaced with an identical Samsung monitor which is by no means new. Currently the monitor wakes and displays the instant I move the mouse. Color needed a bit of adjustment, but all is well.