torm

#21 Post by torm »

Wire ?
Hmm.. some names from early Skype?
Location is changed, however.. :wink:

Will see if it's any good..

rockedge

#22 Post by rockedge »

glad I checked this thread again! So I start my Skype 4.3.0.37 and it still works as well! I started just using the Skype Linux Beta 64 bit and it worked okay to type chats but not much else worked yet.

Totally happy that the Skype 4.3 is still functioning! Thanks to you guys I looked again!

ac2011

#23 Post by ac2011 »

It may not last for long, though. When I tried a Skype call it took three attempts to connect and threw up a warning saying I was using an out-of-date version and may not be able to connect. Then it worked. So it probably isn't going to work for much longer.

Mike Walsh

#24 Post by Mike Walsh »

I didn't want to be the bearer of 'bad tidings', but, er.........I did feel the community had a right to know.

I guess it's the same as other stuff; if M$ hadn't had such a stranglehold with Windoze & Skype, after having bought the latter out, I rather suspect development would have gone in a completely different direction.

There again, having said that, we might not have had the plethora of available choice that we now have; there wouldn't have been the incentive!

Mike. :wink:

watchdog

#25 Post by watchdog »

Skypeforlinux 64 bit is still in development and has malfunctions. I downloaded:

https://repo.skype.com/deb/pool/main/s/ ... _amd64.deb

and tried it in slacko64 700b. Libsecret is needed from PPM. It starts but no webcam and no SMS. Skype 4.3 32 bit is still working.

snayak

#26 Post by snayak »

On Nov 7th they stopped skype 4.3 to login. :-(
[Precise 571 on AMD Athlon XP 2000+ with 512MB RAM]
[Fatdog 720 on Intel Pentium B960 with 4GB RAM]

[url]http://srinivas-nayak.blogspot.com/[/url]

ozsouth

#27 Post by ozsouth »

Skype for Linux - latest beta (8.10.0.4) working in Slacko64 kernel 4.4.70. Requires libsecret.so.1.0 & libgcrypt.so.11 & restart jwm after install.
https://go.skype.com/skypeforlinux-64.deb

watchdog

#28 Post by watchdog »

I found that you can't send SMS with the desktop app but you can send SMS using the web interface.

https://web.skype.com/

Bird Dog

Skype Desktop Client

#29 Post by Bird Dog »

With the Skype web interface you can't do a video call but you can send an sms. I downloaded the desktop app and it says it installed but when trying to start the Skype program in the Network section it does nothing. Microsh#ts christmas gift. Time to find Mike's other post about video calling software. The beta did work for a while though Mike.

Thanks
Bird Dog
Frugal Xenialpup 64, Bionicpup 64 save folder on core2 quad Q6600 2 gigs ram, AMD 6 core 4 gigs ram. Frugal Xenialpup 32, Bionicpup 32 save folder on P4 3.0 ghz 1 gig ram, Dell P4 Celeron 2.4 ghz 1 gig ram

Mike Walsh

#30 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, all.

Just for reference, the current 64-bit Skype for Linux (8.13.76.8-amd64.deb) won't get going in any way, shape or form. Not in Tahr64, at any rate.

It gets stuck in an endless log-in 'loop'. You log-in; you think it's about to kick-in, then a pop-up appears informing you that you've just been logged-out.....'please log-in to use Skype'.

I don't know why I even bother trying it any more. I much prefer WIRE.

Mike Walsh

#31 Post by Mike Walsh »

Just FYI:-

Skype4Linux 8.15.76.1 desktop client still stuck in an endless log-in loop..... :roll:

Why am I not surprised? (Why am I even bothering?)

-----------------------------------------------

Skype 4 web, however, continues to function like it's supposed to.

Mike. :?

rockedge

#32 Post by rockedge »

Hello Mike! I experienced the same problem with the latest Skypeforlinux....so I removed it and rolled back to a previous version which saved which works but is not quite out of the Beta stage either....... I will download the latest and see if I can get to run.... I use skype to talk to my son who lives in Germany! just a what we have used for years. Microstuff's lack of effort on the Linux version is stunning.

Mike Walsh

#33 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, rockedge.

Oh, I shall probably give the current version yet another try.....though I don't know why I bother! I see there's been another 3 releases since I posted about that last one the other day; probably more unnecessary 'bling' (I rather doubt it's been anything to do with functionality...)

Have you got libsecret installed? I believe that's got summat to do with it, according to Oscar...

rockedge

#34 Post by rockedge »

I do have libsecret installed! I just tried the latest v8.15 I think it is but nothing but a white window after login. v 8.11 works for me.

the v 8.15 throws this:

Code: Select all

seg fault error 6 libc-2.23.so 

Mike Walsh

#35 Post by Mike Walsh »

Mm. Looks like that might work in Xenial; that uses glibc 2.23.

Worth a try, perhaps? If not, fancy giving WIRE a try? It's what I use myself nowadays; it's available as an AppImage, which works brilliantly in any Pup with a glibc of 1.5 or higher. Certainly in Tahrpup, 32- or 64-bit...

https://wire.com/

It's cross-platform, too; they have clients for all the major platforms. Video calling, as well.....and solidly encrypted from end to end.

One thing about M$ having messed Skype up so badly; it's triggered an explosion of development. There's lots of choice out there, now.

OscarTalks

#36 Post by OscarTalks »

Just tested Skype version 8.16.76.8
In Xenial64, Tahr64 and Slacko64 6.3.0
No libsecret or any other extra libs added.
It starts and runs and signs in OK in all three of those Puppies.
Calls to Echo Test crash on playback but this has been the case with the earlier versions for quite some time. I didn't try any calls to other users.
Repack as .sfs uploaded strictly for testing only.
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Oscar in England

Mike Walsh

#37 Post by Mike Walsh »

Well, I'm pleased to be able to report that Oscar's package for 8.16.76.8 does indeed work fine in Tahr64. Everything's behaving itself.....for now.

I wonder how long it'll be before MyCrudSoft bollix things up again? Really, you'd think they would have learnt by now that it's when something's working properly (at long last), then that is the time to step back for a while and take a breather...

I wonder, too, how long it'll be before all these recent 8-series versions are 'retired from service'. Currently, M$ seem to be updating the darn thing roughly every 4-5 days... How the hell can anybody keep up with all that?

If I keep this particular version in place for a while (because it actually works; no, I don't particularly like it - much prefer WIRE, personally - but certain of my acquaintances seem to adore it, and won't even consider owt else), I'm curious as to just how long it'll be until it stops working in favour of yet another 'upgrade'...

We shall see.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.

CatDude

#38 Post by CatDude »

Hi
Mike Walsh wrote:... I'm curious as to just how long it'll be until it stops working in favour of yet another 'upgrade'...
I often wonder the same thing, as i am still running version 4.3.0.37 (it thinks it is 8.3.0.37) :lol:

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

tony

#39 Post by tony »

Hi Mike and Oscar,

thanks for your posts. I've just got skype back on tahr64 after using wire for a few months. I prefer wire but it's difficult to wean all your friends and relatives off skype.

We should regard ourselves as unwanted tenants and will probably be fighting Linux v m$ again soon.

Regards Tony.

rockedge

#40 Post by rockedge »

Hello CatDude ..... how do you convince Skype v 4.3.0.37 to think it is version 8.3.0.37? What is the modification? Is your version 32 bit?