Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 24 Sep 2018, 09:47
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Aspire v5 touchscreen & touchpad problems
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
p310don

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jan 2018, 23:51    Post subject:  Aspire v5 touchscreen & touchpad problems  

I have acquired an Acer Aspire v5 (found it in a bin actually) which didn't work until Puppy power came to the rescue.

Everything seems to work wonderfully (except 1 & TAB keys) and except for the touchscreen, kind of.

The touch screen works, but it out by at least 50mm from where I touch to where it registers. Until today briefly.

The normal touch pad works great. Except, briefly today double tapping and hard tap to activate a program ie browse from desktop did not work at all. This has been an issue I have seen on other laptops, just use the buttons at the bottom, it isn't as good, but works ok. BUT, I discovered that when the touchpad isn't working 100%, the touchscreen is working perfectly.

I rebooted and the touchpad started working right, and, of course, the screen was out.

Most of the time the touchpad works right, but now that I have seen the screen working right, I want to get it so that both work right.

Does anyone know of / have a driver for such a machine? Or is there a clue for which setting in xorg.conf (I'm assuming) needs adjustment for both to work?

FYI - I am currently using Xen647.5 but had the same screen out of whack issue with Tahr64.
bigpup

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jan 2018, 02:01    Post subject:  

Quote:
I have acquired an Acer Aspire v5 (found it in a bin actually) which didn't work

Could this be a clue as to what could be wrong Shocked Exclamation
It was all working great, but someone decided to throw it away!

Tried to take the back cover off and look inside for anything loose, damaged, burned, clogged with dust, etc.......?

Tried any of the setup in menu>Setup>Mouse/keyboard Wizard>Touchpad?

Any chance there could be a switch or key to control any of this? Idea

slacko64 6.9.9.9 or Slacko64 6.3.2 may be a better Puppy for touchscreen.

peterw

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jan 2018, 05:20    Post subject: Strip it Down  

bigpup advice is good. It was most probably binned because it was thought to be totally broke. It appears that the top left hand part (1 and tab) area has been damaged by a fall or liquid spill. Strip it down; clean it with brushes and (I use water and little soap) and thoroughly dry. Look for any physical damage. Touchpads, if misbehaving, also can be disassembled and cleaned and often work again.
It looks like with a little effort you have got yourself a good machine.
p310don

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jan 2018, 07:01    Post subject:  

I am certain that there is nothing wrong with the touchscreen because it works when the touchpad isn't working (which has happened twice now and was solved with a reboot).

I bet the reason this PC was binned was one of two things, it didn't boot - corrupted windows boot loader, and I'm pretty sure it was stolen, as there was a bunch of old phones and other paraphernalia in the laptop bag.
peterw

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jan 2018, 07:35    Post subject: Touch Screen AMD drivers  

Googling around I see that people have got the touch screen working. They have used the AMD drivers direct. I would have thought that these or a variant of them should be in the kernel by now. However you could try using these forum post as a guide for what to do.

http://justanyone.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/solved-installing-linux-on-acer-aspire.html

https://askubuntu.com/questions/324474/no-screens-found-on-acer-aspire-v5-122-live-disk
foxpup

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jan 2018, 08:57    Post subject: Re: Touchscreen Adjustment - Help Needed  

p310don wrote:
I have acquired an Acer Aspire v5 (found it in a bin actually) which didn't work until Puppy power came to the rescue.
I love that! Really in the Puppy spirit. I hope you can give it a second live. Good work.
greengeek

PostPosted: Fri 16 Feb 2018, 14:22    Post subject: Re: Aspire v5 touchscreen & touchpad problems  

p310don wrote:
BUT, I discovered that when the touchpad isn't working 100%, the touchscreen is working perfectly.
I can't find the link at the moment but I do recall a while ago seeing someone having a similar issue where the X server could not correctly configure two mice at once (touch screen and touch pad effectively being two different yet similar types of mouse) - so maybe this is an xorg type of issue rather than hardware.

Quote:
FYI - I am currently using Xen647.5 but had the same screen out of whack issue with Tahr64.
I woud be inclined to try a 32bit and/or 64bit Slacko just to provide a comparison.
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to: