ArtfulPup (& Upup-Bionic-Beaver-RC)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
hamoudoudou

Pictures from smartphone

#461 Post by hamoudoudou »

camphone tab
Pictures from smartphone
Transfer to computer from your phone will work if you install pet libcrypto in artfulpup
Try different plug if not workinfg first try.
Ndiswrapper : See Peebee answer above..
About wireless with dongle i transfer my screenshot to Facebook Puppy Linux communauty, showing a lot more interest for that subject.
however i cannot agree on 'Xenialpup was made to dislike usb wifi adapters" Xenialpup is not made to dislike them.. Old puppy makers stay home, chained to wall, and even don't test wireless as they never use that technology.
Attachments
japy.jpeg
Next version will be less noisy, and colorized keyboard. US keyboard available on request.
(244.29 KiB) Downloaded 617 times
Last edited by hamoudoudou on Tue 06 Feb 2018, 10:54, edited 2 times in total.

peebee

#462 Post by peebee »

Update +14 - updates from upstream Ubuntu & fix for run-as-spot under LXDE (does not affect ArtfulPup)
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Smithy

#463 Post by Smithy »

Hello Peebee,
Could you possibly document the changes here on murga?
Sourceforge has gone dark, absolutely full of javascript. I don't mind a few adverts but sheesh.
Artful is running really fast. And it loads up on an old atom.
Just needs the rox sourceforge fixing up a bit. The icons on right click are missing a few things.
And if you opt to have puppy icons on the desktop, the hard drive icons clash with them. Might I suggest:
#091208 adjust drive icons placement, read by /sbin/pup_event_frontend_d
#TODO: GUI in /usr/sbin/eventmanager
#gap between icons and edge of screen (>0 if need to leave space for a tray)...
ICON_PLACE_EDGE_GAP=100
#indent from edge before icons start...
ICON_PLACE_START_GAP=32
#spacing between successive icons (64 matches other icons on desktop)...
ICON_PLACE_SPACING=64 #56
#left, right, bottom, or top of screen...
ICON_PLACE_ORIENTATION='bottom'
Seems like a good puppy. I've built an openbox for it.

B.K. Johnson

#464 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@peebee
The new pet installed without error. However, output from running Network Wizard and SNS is the same as when I mistakenly used ndiswrapper_1.61-k4.9.56-lxpup-pae.pet (screeny-1 & screeny-2) shown here. Ain't that strange?

Another strange thing: The ndiswrapper_1.61-k4.9.59-lxpup-pae.pet (download from nluug) is 245,760 bytes whereas, the allegedly same pet downloaded from ibiblio is 94,962 bytes.
Explanation offered
Ooops - sorry - problem with downloading things from nluug with a web browser which has been seen before. (download with wget is OK)
What caused this size difference? nluug? If browser, which? Or a mystery middle-man? I could open the pets for a look-see but can't be bothered. When puppies allowed choosing repository from PPM, nluug was always my choice primarily because of speed. Sad to hear that downloads from it via browsers now get corrupted. The purported unreliability is news I never heard before. Post a link to the discussion.

The ndiswrapper_1.61-k4.9.56-lxpup-pae.pet downloaded from smokey is 94,958, just a few bytes different from ibiblio's. It therefore is not surprising that the output in both is the same.

So, now that the ndiswrapper pet does not cause an error on installation (I refuse to say 'installed correctly'). And my wifi adapter uses a Broadcom chipset which lsusb and its alias PupSysInfo recognizes (VendorID=0846 ProductID=9020ID NetGear, Inc. WNA3100(v1) Wireless-N 300 [Broadcom BCM43231]. And the Windows XP driver is one I have successfully used for a long time in different versions of Slacko and tahrpup. I still do. It's fair to say that it is the distribution that is missing something.

You wrote earlier when the ndiswrapper did not work:
Why it then does not like your XP driver I'm afraid I have no idea Sad
If you still have no idea, then it is time for me to close the book on Artfulpup.

One question before I pack it in:

When compiling artful, what do you have in your .config re CONFIG_MODULE_SIG?
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

peebee

#465 Post by peebee »

B.K. Johnson wrote:When compiling artful, what do you have in your .config re CONFIG_MODULE_SIG?

Code: Select all

CONFIG_MODULE_SIG=y
# CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_FORCE is not set
CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_ALL=y
CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_SHA1=y
# CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_SHA224 is not set
# CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_SHA256 is not set
# CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_SHA384 is not set
# CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_SHA512 is not set
CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_HASH="sha1"
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

B.K. Johnson

#466 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@peebee
Responding to my query about CONFIG_MODULE_SIG in your .config, you wrote:
CONFIG_MODULE_SIG=y
CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_ALL=y
CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_SHA1=y
# CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_SHA224 is not set
# CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_SHA256 is not set
# CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_SHA384 is not set
# CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_SHA512 is not set
CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_HASH="sha1"
Why did I ask?
Back in May 2016 you were helping me with ndiswrapper and xenial. I asked you to look at a quote that provided a possible reason for failure. You didn't answer. Perhaps it is appropriate in this instance too.

About half-way in my post, the source states that if kernel module signature verification is enabled and a module isn't properly signed, then the kernel will refuse to load it. In which case, the developer should disable CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_ALL and CONFIG_MODULE_SIG in .config before compiling.

My guess with your .config showing "CONFIG_MODULE_SIG=y" and "CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_ALL=y" is that it is enabled. I know from our conversations in the thread back then that you did some patching, which would most likely make it "improperly signed" and therefore doomed to fail.

What do you think? And even if you think it's a crock, please humour me and include these changes in your next compile. I'll gladly test and if it fails, I won't bother you anymore. Deal?
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

peebee

#467 Post by peebee »

B.K. Johnson wrote:What do you think?
Hi @BKJ

The module (ndiswrapper.ko) is loading for me - if it failed to load then there would be errors from
modprobe ndiswrapper
and these would appear in dmesg.....neither is happening and further lsmod shows the module is loaded.....

All I can imagine is that this is a newer version of ndiswrapper than you have used previously (??) and somehow your XP driver is no longer compatible (??) but I've no way of testing this.

The sources for older versions are available from:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswr ... es/stable/
https://github.com/pgiri/ndiswrapper/releases
and could be compiled.....

Cheers
peebee

peebee

#468 Post by peebee »

Smithy wrote:Hello Peebee,
Could you possibly document the changes here on murga?
Sourceforge has gone dark, absolutely full of javascript. I don't mind a few adverts but sheesh.
Artful is running really fast. And it loads up on an old atom.
Just needs the rox sourceforge fixing up a bit. The icons on right click are missing a few things.
And if you opt to have puppy icons on the desktop, the hard drive icons clash with them. Might I suggest:
#091208 adjust drive icons placement, read by /sbin/pup_event_frontend_d
#TODO: GUI in /usr/sbin/eventmanager
#gap between icons and edge of screen (>0 if need to leave space for a tray)...
ICON_PLACE_EDGE_GAP=100
#indent from edge before icons start...
ICON_PLACE_START_GAP=32
#spacing between successive icons (64 matches other icons on desktop)...
ICON_PLACE_SPACING=64 #56
#left, right, bottom, or top of screen...
ICON_PLACE_ORIENTATION='bottom'
Seems like a good puppy. I've built an openbox for it.
Hi @Smithy
Sorry you don't like SF - it has lots of advantages for me so I'm going to continue using it....

Have you tried using Menu -> Desktop -> Puppy theme manager
to alter the position of the drive icons? You can for instance just change the position in the current ArtfulPup theme or you can change to a different theme like Puppy Standard.

Thanks
peebee

Smithy

#469 Post by Smithy »

I do like Sourceforge, it was just a grumble about the proliferation of javascript applets...
Yes I altered the event manager no problem in the neat desktop pulldown.
What surprised me was that the 4.9 kernel in it was so fast, and runs well, whereas other puppies with 4.9xx or so kernels ran sluggishly.
Heat sensor is stuck on 27 on an intel board, but the mouse hover shows the cpus
working.
Hard info missing on menu but terminal+hardinfo shows no sensors in the hard info dialogue. Some puppies show sensors in hard info. Stretch I think.
Will test a bit more.
You ok if I post a pet or two for it or even a derivative? Don't want to put your nose out of joint so to speak if you are actively developing it.

peebee

#470 Post by peebee »

Smithy wrote:You ok if I post a pet or two for it or even a derivative? Don't want to put your nose out of joint so to speak if you are actively developing it.
No probs.....go for it!

Smithy

#471 Post by Smithy »

Cool, ok Peebee.
Last edited by Smithy on Sat 17 Mar 2018, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.

B.K. Johnson

#472 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@peebee
I scrapped all previous artful pups and decided to start anew with artful +14, not that I expected different results but to do an analysis of the situation methodically.

After ndiswrapper pet is deployed
.../lib/modules/4.9.59/lxpup-32-pae/misc/newswrapper.ko exists.

Conclusion: Some part of the ndiswrapper pet is working; maybe all.

Whether from a pristine artful, or one with your ndiswrapper deployed, lsusb returns the adapter specifics:

Bus 001 Device 009: ID 0846:9020 NetGear, Inc. WNA3100(v1) Wireless-N 300 [Broadcom BCM43231]
Conclusion: The NetGear adapter is not the problem

modprobe ndiswrapper returned nothing before and after the ndiswrapper pet is deployed

Nothing in the case of the pristine because there isn't a ndiswrapper.ko

Nothing after the pet is run because ../lib/modules/4.9.59/lxpup-32-pae/misc/newswrapper.ko exists.

There is nothing wrong with the XP driver (bcmwlhigh5). As I have repeatedly stated, it is what I have used in tahr-6.0.2 ...6.0.6. The same file; not a copy. It exists on the boot flash; that's where the distro is directed for re-configurations when needed.

Clearly the problem is either with the ndiswrapper pet or the kernel. The pet creates the ndiswrapper.ko and locates it correctly. It is given the driver files but does not create the ndiswrapper directory or install the authorized XP 32bit driver. Why?
IMHO, dmesg tells us why,

dmesg | grep ndiswrapper
ndiswrapper: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
ndiswrapper: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
ndiswrapper: module license taints kernel.
ndiswrapper version 1.61 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
which is that the driver does not pass the verification test. And so, the driver file is not loaded by the kernel.
Conclusion: The pet is not the problem. The problem is the kernel. How can that be?
"Now a days most of the kernel modules [are] required to be signed by the linux vendor. So edit the .config and disable CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_ALL and CONFIG_MODULE_SIG, before compiling the kernel".

Read also
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Signed_ker ... le_support

We have known for over 11/2 years that the solution is to disable CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_ALL and CONFIG_MODULE_SIG. Are you convinced now? Let's do it , peebee! :)
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson

rcrsn51

#473 Post by rcrsn51 »

If the "force" option is not used, unsigned modules will still be loaded.

hamoudoudou

#474 Post by hamoudoudou »

feedback : still happy with artfulpup Puppy. That gives me time to go exploring new hobbies.
Bionic reposirories are ready for use (universe and multiverse). That is not enough To use most of them with artful, libs must fit. It is just information, a 'Go if ' item for people jumping to last released stuff
Last edited by hamoudoudou on Wed 21 Feb 2018, 15:42, edited 2 times in total.

Smithy

#475 Post by Smithy »

Well I guess peebee would have made a bionic pup if bionic repos were needed, hamoudoudoupelo. Anyways I think it's good that the puppy guys still compile pets and sfs specifically for the fat dogs, dogs and puppies.
You could try loading Jessie Apps in Lucid but I think it would end in tears, frustration and gnashing of teeth for the most part. I did try once :)

I've managed to lock meself out of artful by installing some apps from the repo. It's asking for a password now.
Don't know how that's happened, some ubuntu stuff.
Good god it's turned into windows...

hamoudoudou

artfulpup ... and next Bionic Flavour

#476 Post by hamoudoudou »

Puppy Linux quite always released a version for seasonal Ubuntu Flavours. PeeBee with Zesty and Artful.. PeeBee will do as he Likes. I gave information.. If we use avatar that is not for members to guess who is who. Smeethy if you use Puppy Linux facebook (Puppyluvr) we there show our faces.. you will know more about hamoudoudou and pelo. Here just deal with the subject which is artfulpup ... and next Bionic Flavour
Sure i am not here to speak about how is built any Puppy but just to feed back how it works on my Personal laptop. I will inform what is wrong, and what is amazing.
Symphytum needs QT. I used an SFS qt4-4.8.0.sfs: 18 M from my suit-case for that.
Mikeslr informs that xfce app application finder can be installed everewhere ..without XFCE. That is true !
Attachments
buscador.jpg
mikeslr apps
(65.83 KiB) Downloaded 566 times

recobayu

Re: How to build ArtfulPup

#477 Post by recobayu »

peebee wrote:How-to build ArtfulPup....

1. Use a recent 32-bit Puppy installation...
2. with devx loaded
3. with an internet connection
4. Get woof-CE - in a terminal run:

git clone https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE.git -b testing
5. Download artful/ folder; in the terminal run:

wget -r -np -R "index.html*" http://smokey01.com/peebee/artfulpup/woof-distro/x86/ubuntu/artful/
6. Move /smokey01.com/peebee/artfulpup/woof-distro/x86/ubuntu/artful folder to: /woof-CE/woof-distro/x86/ubuntu/
7. Change directory to /woof-CE; in a terminal run

./merge2out
		target architecture 2 - x86
		compat-distro 5 - ubuntu
		release 1 - artful
8. Change directory to /woof-out_x86_x86_ubuntu_artful; delete all files Packages-Puppy-*-Official
9. In a terminal run:

./0setup
./support/findpkgs
10. Check FINDPKGS-NOT-FOUND and /status/findpkgs_FINAL_PKGS-ubuntu-artful are OK
11. Move /woof-out_x86_x86_ubuntu_artful/rootfs-packages.conf to folder /woof-out_x86_x86_ubuntu_artful/support/
12. Download kernel from:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... 2/download
and then move kernel to /woof-out_x86_x86_ubuntu_artful/huge_kernel/
13. Make folder /sandbox3 if it doesn't exist; download 4 files from:
http://smokey01.com/peebee/artfulpup/drv-sfs/
and then move adrv, fdrv, ydrv and README-extra_sfs to /sandbox3
14. Now the lengthy bits... in a terminal run:

./1download
./2createpackages
./3builddistro-Z
Notes:
Step 12 - other huge-kernels can be used; lxpup kernels require the fdrv (step 13); other huge-kernels may have firmware in the zdrv.
Could this can be done for bionic beaver? How? Thank you.

peebee

Re: How to build ArtfulPup

#478 Post by peebee »

recobayu wrote:Could this can be done for bionic beaver? How? Thank you.
Yes - probably - as long as BB hasn't ditched or fundamentally changed any of the components pup relies on.....

All of the config files would need to be updated......

sszindian

fd0 formatting

#479 Post by sszindian »

Whats the trick for formatting a floppy disk in fd0 drive (3-1/2" disk) There doesn't seem to be a command (at least not that I could find) ?

Yes I know they are ancient but I have tons of archive files on 100's of them and the fd0 icon is on the Artful desktop and working.

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

musher0

Re: fd0 formatting

#480 Post by musher0 »

sszindian wrote:Whats the trick for formatting a floppy disk in fd0 drive (3-1/2" disk) There doesn't seem to be a command (at least not that I could find) ?

Yes I know they are ancient but I have tons of archive files on 100's of them and the fd0 icon is on the Artful desktop and working.

>>>---Indian------>
Euh, do some reading! ;)
https://www.ask.com/web?qsrc=1&o=0&l=di ... archTopBox
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)