Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 23 Feb 2018, 04:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Utilities
Wammu
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]  
labbe5

PostPosted: Wed 31 Jan 2018, 07:22    Post subject:  Wammu
Subject description: Mobile Phone Management Tool

Check for Wammu in your Ubuntu or Debian repositories with apt-cache search wammu.

Available for many Ubuntu versions : https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=wammu
And many Debian versions as well : https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=wammu

A dependency for many mobile phone management tool, libGammu is an abstraction layer to work with different cell phones from different vendors.

You may use gnome-phone-manager as well. It is available for download using apt install or look for it in your PPM.

Note :
With some OS, downloading a gnome app comes with a bunch of other apps you don't need. Dog users don't have to deal with this, thanks to recommends not being downloaded by design.
april

PostPosted: Wed 31 Jan 2018, 17:12    Post subject:  

Thanks . I found Wammu and Gammu on the Puppy package Manager on Xenialpup64 7.5 and after download and install it seems to work .

Don't know if it is better than the one supplied in Xenialpup64 "connect your Android Phone "? which works well and finds all my phones straight up.

This one seems to be rather difficult to get your phone to connect . having a ZTE phone i have not found the right port yet and I'm suspecting i'm not going to.I tried it with a Huawei LU and no joy at all

This seems to be very old software that is being patched and patched . That process usually ends up with a blotchup. Pity because I am still looking for something to get my messages and contacts off the android phones and nothing does so far

All the directories of the GUI that come up look like pie in the sky/carrot on a stick stuff
smokey01

PostPosted: Thu 01 Feb 2018, 15:59    Post subject:  

April, have you tried AirDroid. It's a nice app for your android phone. You access it with your browser.
april

PostPosted: Thu 01 Feb 2018, 18:07    Post subject:  

Thanks for your suggestion but have you used it?

Any site that wants me to register before I can see what it does has lost me immediately. This is one of those . It seems I have to put an app on my phone .

When I look further into it
http://forums.airdroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15925
http://forums.airdroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16472

It appears to give me no more than what I have already at the cost of using my data allowance and opening up possible privacy breaches.

I can't get copies of my past messages off the phone nor can I get a list of my contacts , these are the two things I seek.
drunkjedi

PostPosted: Thu 01 Feb 2018, 21:19    Post subject:  

I just run samba on Fatdog.
And on phone I have X-Plore duel pane file manager by lonelycatgames.
If you want open source you could get Amaze file manager which can also access smb share.
april

PostPosted: Sat 03 Feb 2018, 23:44    Post subject:  

drunkjedi wrote:
I just run samba on Fatdog.
And on phone I have X-Plore duel pane file manager by lonelycatgames.
If you want open source you could get Amaze file manager which can also access smb share.

Interesting but can you get messages or contacts off ?
TyroBGinner

PostPosted: Tue 06 Feb 2018, 07:05    Post subject:  

April, I mentioned wammu/gammu to you a long time ago. So is it true that you have ever had success with it? It seems not, based on your comments here. You say you have not found the right port...can you provide detail on what that means? I have found that sometimes a phone may be assigned to a mobile broadband use by the OS such that it is not available for transferring texts. Look in the dmesg output to see if your phone's modem is being attached to ttyUSB* devices.
drunkjedi

PostPosted: Tue 06 Feb 2018, 08:38    Post subject:  

april wrote:
Interesting but can you get messages or contacts off ?
The contact and messages data is stored in SQLite databases in the phone.
To backup your contacts and messages from your phone get following files
Code:
/data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/mmssms.db
And
Code:
/data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/databases/contacts2.db
To normally browse to their location in a filemanager on your phone and copy them you will need your phone rooted.
For non rooted phone you can get them by connecting your phone to USB and using adb command.
Code:
adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/mmssms.db
and
Code:
adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/databases/contacts2.db[

To restore backup to another phone, if it's rooted, just copy those files to appropriate location.
If the phone is non rooted, connect it to PC's USB port and you’ll have to remount the /system partition in read-write mode, delete the present database files (if there are [present) and push the files back on the phone.

First check to see where the which physical partition is mounted on “/system” to know where you should remount it:
Code:
adb shell mount
Search for the “/dev/block/” part on the line with “/system”.
On my phone it is “/dev/block/mtdblock3”.
After discovering which physical partition is mounted at “/system” you will have to remount that partition as read-write, delete the databases and push the backed up ones.
Code:
adb shell mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
adb shell rm /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/mmssms.db
adb shell rm /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/databases/contacts2.db
adb push ./mmssms.db /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/
adb push ./contacts2.db /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/databases/

Of course it's easier when you are rooted...
Wink
april

PostPosted: Tue 06 Feb 2018, 18:08    Post subject:  

Well you have given me a nice start .Thank you . I'll come back with a result. I have two phones ,one rooted.

The rooted phone does not have those directories . The nearest I can get is the screenshot below

Edit. This is what I got with ./adb shell mount on my rooted ZTE
Code:
root#  ./adb shell mount
rootfs / rootfs ro,seclabel 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,seclabel,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,seclabel,relatime 0 0
selinuxfs /sys/fs/selinux selinuxfs rw,relatime 0 0
none /acct cgroup rw,relatime,cpuacct 0 0
none /sys/fs/cgroup tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=750,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/obb tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,relatime,cpu 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/media_rw tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=755,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /storage/usbotg tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=755,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /storage/emulated tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=755,uid=1023,gid=1023 0 0
/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/system /system ext4 ro,seclabel,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/userdata /data ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,discard,noauto_da_alloc,resuid=10010,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/cache /cache ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,discard,noauto_da_alloc,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/protect1 /protect_f ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodelalloc,noauto_da_alloc,commit=1,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/protect2 /protect_s ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodelalloc,noauto_da_alloc,commit=1,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/nvdata /nvdata ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,discard,noauto_da_alloc,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/loop0 /mnt/cd-rom iso9660 ro,relatime 0 0
adb /dev/usb-ffs/adb functionfs rw,relatime 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,seclabel,relatime 0 0
/dev/fuse /mnt/shell/emulated fuse rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,user_id=1023,group_id=1023,default_permissions,allow_other 0 0
root#

This with my non rooted Huawei..note the vold below
Code:
From Huawei

shell@HWLUA-L6735:/ $ mount   
rootfs / rootfs ro,seclabel 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,seclabel,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,seclabel,relatime 0 0
selinuxfs /sys/fs/selinux selinuxfs rw,relatime 0 0
none /acct cgroup rw,relatime,cpuacct 0 0
none /sys/fs/cgroup tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=750,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/obb tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,relatime,cpu 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/media_rw tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=755,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /storage/usbotg tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=755,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /storage/emulated tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=755,uid=1023,gid=1023 0 0
/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/system /system ext4 ro,seclabel,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/custom /custom ext4 ro,seclabel,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
[u]/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/userdata /data ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,noauto_da_alloc,resuid=10010,data=ordered 0 0[/u]
/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/cache /cache ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,noauto_da_alloc,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/protect1 /protect_f ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodelalloc,noauto_da_alloc,commit=1,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/protect2 /protect_s ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodelalloc,noauto_da_alloc,commit=1,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/deviceslog /deviceslog ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,noauto_da_alloc,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/bak /bak ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,noauto_da_alloc,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/simlock /simlock ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,noauto_da_alloc,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/nvdata /nvdata ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,noauto_da_alloc,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/loop0 /mnt/cd-rom iso9660 ro,relatime 0 0
adb /dev/usb-ffs/adb functionfs rw,relatime 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,seclabel,relatime 0 0
/dev/fuse /mnt/shell/emulated fuse rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,user_id=1023,group_id=1023,default_permissions,allow_other 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:129 /mnt/media_rw/sdcard1 vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1023,gid=1023,fmask=0007,dmask=0007,allow_utime=0020,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:129 /mnt/secure/asec vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1023,gid=1023,fmask=0007,dmask=0007,allow_utime=0020,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/fuse /storage/sdcard1 fuse rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,user_id=1023,group_id=1023,default_permissions,allow_other 0 0
shell@HWLUA-L6735:/ $

So I'm wondering if the one below is what I'm after?
/dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/userdata /data ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,noauto_da_alloc,resuid=10010,data=ordered 0 0
capture10935.png
 Description   
 Filesize   80.91 KB
 Viewed   74 Time(s)

capture10935.png

Last edited by april on Wed 07 Feb 2018, 05:38; edited 10 times in total
april

PostPosted: Tue 06 Feb 2018, 18:14    Post subject:  

TyroBGinner wrote:
April, I mentioned wammu/gammu to you a long time ago. So is it true that you have ever had success with it? It seems not, based on your comments here. You say you have not found the right port...can you provide detail on what that means? I have found that sometimes a phone may be assigned to a mobile broadband use by the OS such that it is not available for transferring texts. Look in the dmesg output to see if your phone's modem is being attached to ttyUSB* devices.

It runs but its limited in what it can get.
When i connect it asks for a port so I "lsusb" and get its port address and put that in and it does not accept it.
I have tried various other input there obtained from the /dev/usb addresses but nothing works
I'll have a look for dmesg output thanks and come back
I'd like to get it connected .

Code:

dmsg lines
Feb  7 08:16:55 MeHome54 user.info kernel: usb 1-3: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-pci
Feb  7 08:16:55 MeHome54 user.info kernel: usb 1-3: New USB device found, idVendor=19d2, idProduct=0307
Feb  7 08:16:55 MeHome54 user.info kernel: usb 1-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=3, SerialNumber=4
Feb  7 08:16:55 MeHome54 user.info kernel: usb 1-3: Product: ZTE
Feb  7 08:16:55 MeHome54 user.info kernel: usb 1-3: Manufacturer: MediaTek
Feb  7 08:16:55 MeHome54 user.info kernel: usb 1-3: SerialNumber: 0123456789ABCDEF

So device entered as "/dev/bus/usb/001/003"
WammuResult.png
 Description   
 Filesize   43.76 KB
 Viewed   81 Time(s)

WammuResult.png

TyroBGinner

PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb 2018, 02:24    Post subject:  

Let's see......

Fist I suggest using the command line program 'gammu' as it can give some feedback over the cli where wammu does not...wammu is a front-end for gammu at any rate, but it is convenient once you get the kinks ironed out.

Now, when using gammu, it will look for a config file, ".gammurc", I think. If it doesn't find one, it uses built-in defaults. it may be needed or may not. The most basic of config files designates the device node to look at and the connection speed. It looks like your dmesg does not show the phone's modem getting bound to anything.

Please note, we are looking at /dev/ttyUSB* devices, not /dev/usb. This connection works by using serial over usb, hence the "ttyUSB" name - the name itself implies a combination of tty (i.e., serial) and usb.

I am afraid that the dmesg output you gave seems to eliminate the potential of the problem being a commitment of the modem to ttyUSB*.

My first guess as to what to try is to connect the phone, then in a terminal, run "gammu identify". If that does not work, try a basic config file. Use a text editor to open a file ".gammurc" and enter:

[gammu]
device = /dev/ttyACM0
connection = at115200

you might want to change "ACM" to "USB" and try different values like USB0, USB1, etc.
april

PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb 2018, 05:29    Post subject:  

No the phone is not being found with Wammu or Gammu .
Not under ttyACM# or ttyUSB#
When I load it with MTP it comes up in a directory of its own . Strange
When I go into it through "adb" it has no trouble finding the phone either.
TyroBGinner

PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb 2018, 13:46    Post subject:  

We come to an important distinction...is your phone connecting through a serial-over-usb method...or is it doing otherwise? A smart phone may not do it, but a stupid phone probably will. Try running lsmod | grep serial to see if the output of lsmod shows the usbserial module having been loaded.

My experience with smart phones is almost zero. I have heard fleeting mentions that AT style commands work with them, so I was hoping that gammu might work since it uses AT commands internally - it is sort of a CLI front end for lots of AT commands. Before i found gammu, I was sending AT commands directly into the device node in one terminal window and "listening" with another terminal window...very retro. Gammu made things far easier since it translated texts into something readable...the raw dump of texts is a kind of piecemeal reverse coded UTF-7 thing. And then you also have to deal with concatenation.

A quick look at stackoverflow suggests that smart phones are not too amenable to AT commands, but there might be a way here.

Using the more Android-friendly way described by others above may be the better approach, however.
drunkjedi

PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb 2018, 21:28    Post subject:  

Hi April,
Sorry for late reply, I somehow missed this thread.

The instructions I posted were kept as notes by me around 3.5 years ago when I bought my current phone.
I just checked the locations then and As I was rooted just took the contacts file.

Now that I checked in my phone with latest android version, the contacts are at same place but messages db has been moved I don't know where.

Will have to research more about the changes in filesystem mount points too.
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Utilities
Jump to: